Welcome to PatsFans.com

3-D movies

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

I'm in the small percentage of people with only one good eye, so I'll never be able to experience a film in 3-D, as much as I like epic action flicks. Are they really that spectacular? Some movies wouldn't really work in 3-D because of subject matter. I'm curious what everyone thinks about this trend.
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Avatar was amazing, and they took 100% full advantage of the 3D to truly bring you into the setting.

Just went to Alice in Wonderland last night, which was 3D as well, they didn't put as much content in multiple planes, it was 3D, I just don't think it was as effective, and the movie would be just as good non 3D.
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

I cannot believe that I missed Avatar in 3-D. The only movie I've seen in 3-D so far is Alice in Wonderland as well, and I have to agree with mcgraw.
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That's too bad. Leo Laporte said the same thing on his podcast. I saw my first IMAX 3D movie when A Christmas Carol came out and I was so blown away by it I saw it again before it went away. IMAX uses a new style of 3D that is not your fathers red blue 3D flick. In A Christmas Carol you could actually see snow falling around you. It's engrossing and draws you in like no other kind of film can. In Avatar you felt like you were in the jungle. The actors looks so real in 3D it was as if you were in the same room as them. I guess I could say it's the difference between a film in surround sound or mono.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  5. JD10367

JD10367 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Check out "How To Train Your Dragon" in IMAX, the 3D is almost as impressive as "Avatar".

"Alice" did not utilize it as well.

However, I'm of the opinion that EVERY movie is improved by 3D. After all, it's how we see the world, so why wouldn't it? I work in an IMAX booth and have seen a ****load of 3D. You should see some of the documentaries like "Space Station" and the underwater flicks. Impressive.

(Although, I grant you, it works a lot better with long-shots to give you a realistic sense of "being there". Close-ups, not so much. Then again, that applies to the IMAX format in general.)
  6. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not movies I know but they just started putting live sports in 3D here. Not sure what it looks like though.
  7. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I'd have to agree with Michael. Avatar was just amazing and extremely well done. I haven't read good things about Clash of the Titans and may skip that in 3D judging by what I've read. Although if anyone else wants to chime in on that I'd love to hear more opinions.
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,039 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Just an aside here:

My daughter was born with cross eyes. She had them fixed when she was 18 months old but the brain develops depth perception in the first 18 months of your life. We didn't know until she started playing sports that she lived in a 2D world. She grew up thinking trees were flat.

We had her going good but now she finds it best to live with one good eye. She wears a blocking contact on one of her eyes. We learned a lot of horror stories about people with no 3D perception. Trouble playing sports, parking cars, bumping into things ... depth perception is something many of us take for granted.
  9. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Wow...pardon my ignorance, but is that something lasik can help fix later in life? I just feel for you...my daughter has really bad vision but her contacts seem to handle it. I'm just hopeful that later in life I can help her get that surgery so she can live her adult life normally without needing them.

Aftet thinking that, the term "normally" definitely now takes on a different meaning...especially since as a dad I can't imagine how you must feel in your situation if that's not an option for her...
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

I was born with the same condition -- strabismus (lazy eye). But it isn't that extreme a situation, at least it hasn't been for me. I have some limited vision in my "bad" eye, but it does not synch up with my "good" eye due to the vision center for it being "shut off" in my brain. Just the same, I played sports all through school with no problem and have little or no depth-perception difficulties I'm aware of. I just can't get my eyes "cooperating" for viewing 3-D films with those colored spectacles.

I never heard of using a blocking contact to stop vision altogether in the bad eye. I'd think that you'd want to salvage whatever vision in the bad eye you could for your daughter, assuming she'd naturally adjust for any discrepancies as she grew up. But if you've proceeded on the advice of a skilled opthalmologist, that's all you can do.
  11. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected