3 biggest dissapointing teams so far in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I go from the most surprising teams in 2008 to the bottom of the barrel

My biggest dissapointing teams in 2008 thus far ....

1) Oakland - Paid a lot of money for big name players only having them get injured and underperform like Kelly and Walker and getting big bucks and failing like Hall - And of course who would think Davis could get any worse as an owner and firing Kiffin who had potential was not very smart - I expected an 8-8 Raiders team with thier defense which looked sound at one time ,ain't going to happen.

2) San Diego - Who would have thought SD would once again be fighting for thier playoff lives at this time for another consecutive season? - A well disiplined team and a good coach would have the talent on this team at its best,this should have been a 13-3 team this year

3) Detroit Lions - Had top notch talent at Receiver and lost one of them - Had a rotten GM Millen and got rid of him,Kitna got hurt - They still may go down as the worst team in NFL History - I was thinking 7-9 before the season,not 0-16

Yours?

I would include the Browns in that group. Remember before the season started how so many were predicting for Cleveland to get past Pittsburgh and win the division this year?

Another would be Jacksonville, again a team that many were predicting would finally get past the big dog to win their division. Multiple injuries to their offensive line have done them in more than lack of execution.

For a third team I'm torn between Seattle and New Orleans. A lot of people were very high on the Saints but personally I thought of them as a third place team with their defense. And though I figured Seattle would not be as good as they were last year, I also never figured they would be this bad, either.

Of the teams you mentioned, San Diego is one that I most agree with. A loss due to injury of just one player (Merriman) should not create as much of a downfall as it did.

I would have mentioned Dallas too, but personally I'm not surprised that they haven't lived up to the hype. I just expected the cause to be an implosion rather than injuries. Wade Phillips trying to balance Jerry Jones on one side and a locker room with TO, Pacman, Romo-Simpson, Tank and the rest of that team, that's just a train wreck waiting to happen.

1. New Orleands Saints - The hype surrounding this team coming into the season was unreal. We all saw what they did in 2006 but now Brees and Co. actually had a defense to back up that amazing offense. Vilma looks like a solid pick-up now that he's back in the 4-3 but the Saints are still stumbling.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars - I live in J-Ville so I hear a little more about this team than most. Just a solid team with all of the talent in place to make a run at the championship. However, they have had a down year. Now that I think about it, actually, the Jags seem to be an every-other-year type team. '05: good, '06: bad/mediocre, '07: good, '08: bad/mediocre so far. However, I will reserve my right to say that the Jags could potentially be one of those teams that just eeks it's way into the Wild Card then rolls from there into the Super Bowl (ala 2005 Steelers and 2007 Giants).

3. Green Bay Packers - They also get my vote because of how they came into the season. They finally expelled Favre from the team and had the younger Rodgers in to take his place. The hype surrounding this team was also pretty crazy. They lived up to it in the first couple of games this season and now seem to have taken a nose dive.

I will not include the Cowboys and Chargers in this list. My head tells me no, but my heart tells me yes. Only reason that I do not include them is because of the guys coaching their respective teams. Those two could find a way to mess up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

3. Seattle -- They always win the NFC West. I figured that this being Holgrem's last year, the Seahawks would play inspired football and be a contender for the NFC Championship. Um, not so much.

2. Jacksonville -- I thought for sure that they would take the next step with Garrard and be a serious Super Bowl contender. Instead it looks like they are back to their mediocre ways.

1. Dallas -- All of the NFL "experts" pick as a shoe-in for the Super Bowl. How can their defense be so terrible? After all the pre-season hype, it looks like the Boys will be very lucky if to get a wild card spot.

The Cowboys and Chargers. Only reason that I do not include them is because of the guys coaching their respective teams. Those two could find a way to mess up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

That's a signature-worthy quote.

Jax, San Diego & New Orleans.
It's tough to narrow down to just 3 this year.
Dallas seems to be choking, and missing the playoffs with that much talent is inexcusable.
Green Bay: I didn't expect a redo of 07 with Rodgers in his 1st year, but it seems to be the other aspects of the team that are faltering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes