PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3/27 3 round mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
- I believe Miami traded C Sampson Satele. Alex Mack would be a natural fit in round 1.

FYI, Miami traded Satele because they'd just signed C Jake Grove to a long-term, big-$$ contract.

Sorry, on the previous post I forgot to delete the trade between GB and the Jets (since Stafford is off the board on this version). GB stays at #9 and the Jets at #17 and 52.

Ending up with Barwin, Delmas and Gilbert plus a 2010 1st round might be the nicest 1st day so far. It's not impossible. We miss out on OL on the 1st day, but there's plenty of talent in the 3rd round (we could trade up for Troy Kropog at OT; TJ Lang, Andy Levitre, Trevor Canfield and Keith Urbik are all available at OG as well as Caldwell at C) and it's not an immediate need. And with two 1sts in 2010 we could conceivably get a top OT like Brian Bulaga, Ciron Black, Trent Williams, etc. Other 2010 day 1 options might include SILB (Brandon Spikes, Rolando McClain, Eric Norwood) or WR (Aurelius Benn, Dez Bryant, Brandon LaFell, Marshawn Gilbert).

Good job Mayo but i think we do need OL on the first day with the picks we have and the need is greater than OLB and S. We have 4 OLB's, 2 of which are young and have potential and probably Jason Taylor to come. We have 2 starting safeties with Tank, Rodney and Springs to back them up. As we saw last year if we lose any of the starting OL (and worse still two of them) we will struggle to keep Brady upright .. and keeping Brady upright is how this team wins games. Plus they are all getting older with little or no youth on the roster there minus Levior who is a decent backup but nothing more

I agree if Barwin, Delams etc turn into pro bowlers then we've all done well but its always a rose tinted gamble and I wouldn't gamble on the health of the best QB in the league and our most important player by far

I still think that if we keep 4 picks we can come away with 2 OL, a S and an OLB. Now it may not be everyone's binkies but it ought to be good enough ..

Good job Mayo but i think we do need OL on the first day with the picks we have and the need is greater than OLB and S. We have 4 OLB's, 2 of which are young and have potential and probably Jason Taylor to come. We have 2 starting safeties with Tank, Rodney and Springs to back them up. As we saw last year if we lose any of the starting OL (and worse still two of them) we will struggle to keep Brady upright .. and keeping Brady upright is how this team wins games. Plus they are all getting older with little or no youth on the roster there minus Levior who is a decent backup but nothing more

I agree if Barwin, Delams etc turn into pro bowlers then we've all done well but its always a rose tinted gamble and I wouldn't gamble on the health of the best QB in the league and our most important player by far

I still think that if we keep 4 picks we can come away with 2 OL, a S and an OLB. Now it may not be everyone's binkies but it ought to be good enough ..

I've said before that I'd be thrilled with Beatty, Barwin, Delmas and Wood on the 1st day, but I doubt it will fall that way. In the modified 2 rounder above, Eric Wood was available at 47 as well as Gilbert. Opinions vary as to whether you go for the solid OG/C prospect or the DE with the huge upside.

Realistically, I think that our OL is probably in decent shape for 2009. It's all the unsigned players after next year, combined with the aging of several key personnel, which is an issue. With two 1sts going into 2010 I would strongly consider going after a stud LT like Brian Bulaga from Iowa. I'm sure BB knows about him from Kirk Ferentz.

Again, there are multiple ways that this draft may play out. I've just tried to show a few that seem plausible to me.

You've definitely done your work, good job.

But calling Vontae Davis the best corner in the draft was absolutely comical to me. He's lucky to be top 5.

You've definitely done your work, good job.

But calling Vontae Davis the best corner in the draft was absolutely comical to me. He's lucky to be top 5.

When did I ever do that? I called him the most "physically gifted" CB in the draft. I stand by that assessment - name me one CB with better physical ability than Davis. But I have him well down on my big board, recently posted, because of his inconsistency issues and average ball skills.

When did I ever do that? I called him the most "physically gifted" CB in the draft. I stand by that assessment - name me one CB with better physical ability than Davis. But I have him well down on my big board, recently posted, because of his inconsistency issues and average ball skills.

I assumed you were insinuating that he was the best player at the position by making him the first player off the board and the comment. Forgive my poor reading comprehension. :)

Physical skills in terms of body and thickness, I suppose but he's not the fastest, doesn't change directions the best, doesn't play the run the best, and is one of the dumber players in the draft.

I rank my corners like this.

1. Alphonso Smith
2. Malcolm Jenkins (would be #1 but the uncertainty of his position (CB or FS) knocks him down one spot)
3. Sean Smith
4. Darius Butler
5. D.J. Moore
6. Coye Francies
7. Vontae Davis
8. Victor Harris
9. Jairus Byrd
10. Keenan Lewis

And I really don't like the Dolphins picks. I love Sean Smith at 44, but other than that, I don't think we're getting great value. We're set at quarterback, we don't need Pat White. And the whole argument that he brings another element to the Wildcat is bogus because no one in the NFL is better at it than Ronnie Brown. He's smart, instinctive, a bruiser, and has a very good jump cut; no need to replace him in the formation.

Derrick Williams won't be a number one. He gives you nothing that Greg Camarillo and Davone Bess can't.

I'm not a huge fan of Clay Matthews as a 34 rusher. I think he'll do better as a strong side guy in the 43.

And I really don't like the Dolphins picks. I love Sean Smith at 44, but other than that, I don't think we're getting great value. We're set at quarterback, we don't need Pat White. And the whole argument that he brings another element to the Wildcat is bogus because no one in the NFL is better at it than Ronnie Brown. He's smart, instinctive, a bruiser, and has a very good jump cut; no need to replace him in the formation.

Derrick Williams won't be a number one. He gives you nothing that Greg Camarillo and Davone Bess can't.

I'm not a huge fan of Clay Matthews as a 34 rusher. I think he'll do better as a strong side guy in the 43.

Where's the Forum Help button? I thought I was in the Patriots Draft Forum but like in LOST I'm seemingly somewhere else entirely.

Where's the Forum Help button? I thought I was in the Patriots Draft Forum but like in LOST I'm seemingly somewhere else entirely.
How is this different from your daily reality?

When did the Patriots acquire all 255 picks in the draft? I forgot they were the only team participating in the selection meeting.

When did the Patriots acquire all 255 picks in the draft? I forgot they were the only team participating in the selection meeting.
This is part of the Bob Kraft mind-meld...so far only the most single-minded GMs and owners have been able to resist - Polian, Tuna, Rooneys, Maras, and the accursed one himself, Roger Goodell - but assimilation will occur!

This is part of the Bob Kraft mind-meld...so far only the most single-minded GMs and owners have been able to resist - Polian, Tuna, Rooneys, Maras, and the accursed one himself, Roger Goodell - but assimilation will occur!

We are Brady. You will be assimilated. :D

The single-minded one is PatsPissed himself of whatever the hell his name is. He doesn't realize there are 32 teams in football, oh well, the adults are talking now.

And something tells me Bob Kraft has nothing to do with it; he's probably drunk right now. It's got to be that relationship between he, Goodell and Goodell and Belichick.

The single-minded one is PatsPissed himself of whatever the hell his name is. He doesn't realize there are 32 teams in football, oh well, the adults are talking now.

And something tells me Bob Kraft has nothing to do with it; he's probably drunk right now. It's got to be that relationship between he, Goodell and Goodell and Belichick.
:idontgetit:

Cleveland Browns:

5 - Brian Orapko, DE/OLB
33 - Darius Butler, CB
36 - Clint Sintim, LB
50 - Shonn Greene, RB

Wow, they should be so lucky.:eek:

Cleveland Browns:

5 - Brian Orapko, DE/OLB
33 - Darius Butler, CB
36 - Clint Sintim, LB
50 - Shonn Greene, RB

Wow, they should be so lucky.:eek:

I tried to address individual team needs and give everyone a good draft, whether I wanted to or not. Cleveland has some good picks with a deep draft, so they should get some good players. In the modified variant posted later in this thread Cleveland doesn't get #33, but ends up with Orapko, Alphonso Smith at 36, and can choose between Sintim and Greene at 50. Not too shabby.

Here's another 2 round variant, incorporating some recent thoughts and news:

Round 1:

1. Detroit: Matt Stafford, QB. Stafford reportedly blew Detroit away today.
2. St. Louis: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor. St. Louis goes for the replacement for Orlando Pace to anchor their line.
3. Cleveland: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest. Pioli gets the cornerstone for his defense.
4. Seattle: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC. With the top 2 tackles gone Seattle goes for Hasselbeck's replacement. Sanchez is their guy for their version of the WCO.
5. Cleveland: Brian Orapko, DE/OLB, Texas. Mangini decides that Orapko is not Vernon Gholston II.
6. Cincinnati: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia. Bengals can't pass one of the top 2 tackles left.
7. Oakland: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech. Al Davis can't resist getting the "next Fred Belitnikoff". A steal at #7.
**Trade: Jacksonville trades #8 to Denver for #12 and #79.
8. Denver: BJ Raji, DT, Boston College. Denver gets the DT to anchor their 3-4 defense.
** Trade: Green Bay trades #9 to the Jets for #17 and #52.
9. NY Jets: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas. First stunner of the draft. With Stafford and Sanchez gone and fearing SF may go QB, NY trades up to get another big-armed gunslinger.
10. San Francisco: Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn St. Maybin is rising fast, and with the QB's gone SF goes for a pass rusher at OLB. Andre Smith and Rey Maualuga would also be options.
11. Buffalo: Everett Brown, DE/OLB, Florida St. Buffalo gets the pass rusher they crave. Robert Ayers is also an option.
12. Jacksonville: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi. Del Rio coached Oher at the Senior Bowl. Jags fill their biggest need.
13. Washington: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama. Washington jumps at the chance to get the talented Smith to anchor the right side of their line.
14. New Orleans: Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio St. Saints get their version of Thunder to go with Reggie Bush's Lightning.
15. Houston: Brian Cushing, OLB, USC. Houston gets a versatile LB who can play inside or out. Knowshon Moreno would also get some consideration.
** Trade: San Diego trades #16 to Minnesota for #22 and #86. With no 2nd, SD trades back a bit believing they can still get one of their guys.
16. Minnesota: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri. Vikes hope he's not another Troy Williamson.
17. Green Bay: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St. Green Bay trades back and still gets their big CB to eventual replace Charles Woodson or Al Harris.
18. Chicago: Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland. Big, fast threat to open up the passing game.
19. Tampa Bay: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi. With Freeman gone, the Bucs get a pass-rushing DT in the Warren Sapp mode.
20. Detroit: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona. Detroit gets another tackle to protect Stafford. They go for the solid, versatile Britton over Beatty.
21. Philadelphia: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St. They wanted Beanie Wells, but settle for a versatile TE.
22. San Diego: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU. SD trades back, and still gets the top 3-4 DE to the gap left by Igor Olshansky. Rey Maualuga and Knowshon Moreno are also options.
** Trade: New England trades #23 and 58 to the NY Giants for #29 and 45.
23. NY Giants: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina. With 3 WRs already gone and hearing that Parcells loves Nicks, the Giants trade up for the big WR they need to replace Plaxico Burress.
24. Atlanta: Clay Matthews, OLB, USC. With Pettigrew and Jerry gone, Falcons get a LB to replace Keith Brooking.
25. Miami: Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut. With Nicks gone, Miami goes for a fluid, athletic CB. Connor Barwin is an option here.
26. Baltimore: Rey Maualuga, ILB. Baltimore gets a physical ILB to replace Bart Scott and learn under Ray Lewis. Vontae Davis will also get serious consideration here.
27. Indianapolis: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida. Imagine what Peyton Manning can do with Harvin in addition to his other weapons, at both WR and out of the backfield. Nicks is also an option.
28. Philadelphia: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee. Philly loves disruptive defensive lineman, and Ayers will be a good one.
29. New England: Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati. The Pats don't wait until #34 to get their 3-4 OLB. William Beatty is also a possibility.
30. Tennessee: Jarron Gilbert, DT, San Jose St. Titans get a talented big man in the middle who may someday fill the gap left by Haynesworth.
31. Arizona: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia. The Cardinals get their choice to replace the Edge. Moreno slips a bit because of his 40 time, and is a steal here - another Emmit Smith.
32. Pittsburgh: Alex Mack, OG/C, California. Steelers get a powerful, smart anchor for it's biggest area of need.

Round 2:

33. Detroit: James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio St. With QB and OT filled, Detroit goes defense. Laurinaitis will fit in nicely with Julian Peterson and Ernie Sims. Vontae Davis could be the pick here as well.
34. New England: William Beatty, OT, Connecticut. Pats get a potential franchise OT to protect Brady.
35. St. Louis: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. Detroit takes Laurinaitis, so St. Louis takes Davis. If Detroit takes Davis, St. Louis takes Laurinaitis. Win-win.
36. Cleveland: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest. Mangini gets a ballhawking CB for his backfield.
** Trade: Seattle trades #37 to New England for #47 and #89.
37. New England: Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan. Pats trade up get their version of Troy Polamalu.
38. Cincinnati: Max Unger, OG/C, Oregon. Bengals get a versatile interior lineman to block for Beanie Wells and Carson Palmer. Eric Wood from nearby Louisville is also an option.
39. Jacksonville: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers. Jaguars hope this big WR works out better than Matt Jones and Reggie Williams.
40. Oakland: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech. Al Davis gets a physical freak on the DL.
41. Green Bay: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College. Green Bay misses on Raji but gets his teammate to be their 3-4 DT anchor.
** Trade: Buffalo trades #42 to Indianapolis for #61, 92 and 127.
42. Indianapolis: Evander "Ziggy" Hood, DT, Missouri. As in 2007, Indy moves up to cover a need when a player they covet is still available.
43. San Francisco: Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina. SF wanted Brace, but settles for a versatile OT who can bookend Joe Staley.
44. Miami: Larry English, DE/OLB. Phins jump at getting Butler and English with their first 2 picks. This is for Bakes781. :)
** Trade: New England trades #45 and a conditional 2010 pick to New Orleans for the Saints 2010 1st round pick
45. New Orleans: William Moore, S, Missouri. With no 2nd or 3rd round pick, the Saints trade up and get their pick of the remaining 3 top safeties.
46. Houston: Sean Smith, CB/S, Utah. Another safety fills a big need.
47. Seattle: Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut. The Hawks trade back but still get their replacement for Shawn Alexander to go with their new QB.
48. Denver: Patrick Chung, S, Oregon. Chung will make a nice replacement for John Lynch, to go with Brian Dawkins.
49. Chicago: Philip Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma. Big road-grader at RT to complement Chris Williams. DJ Moore could also be an option here.
50. Cleveland: Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia. Versatile 3-4 LB can play inside or out.
51. Dallas: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma. Wide-body OG to eventually replace Larry Allen.
52. Green Bay: Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa. Packers get a big, bruising runner.
53. Philadelphia: LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh. "Shady" falls a bit, and will share time with Westbrook.
54. Minnesota: DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt. Moore drops a bit, but is good value here. If Chicago goes with Moore, then the Vikings take Loadholt here to complement Bryant McKenzie.
** Trade: Atlanta trades #55 and #125 to Arizona for #63 and #95. With several talented TE's still available, Atlanta trades back.
55. Arizona: Eric Wood, C, Louisville. Arizona fills their other big need on offense with a smart 4 year starter at center. They don't think he'll last to 63, and they're right.
56. Miami: Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio St. Miami gets CB, OLB and WR with their first 3 picks. Perfect draft.
57. Baltimore: Coye Francies, CB, San Jose St. The Ravens love big CBs.
58. NY Giants: James Casey, TE, Rice. Giants get a smart, versatile athletic player who can help make up for the loss of Jeremy Shockey.
59. Carolina: Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn. Carolina gets an athletic, penetrating DT.
60. NY Giants: Marcus Freeman, OLB, Ohio St. LB is the Giant's biggest need left.
61. Buffalo: Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina. Buffalo trades down and still gets a the most athletic TE in the draft.
62. Tennessee: Pat White, QB/WR, West Virginia. Tennessee takes the versatile White as a WR, though they're happy to look at him as a QB option too.
63. Atlanta: Shawn Nelson , TE, Southern Mississippi. Atlanta trades back and still gets an athletic TE for Ryan.
64. Pittsburgh: Fili Moala, DE/DT, USC. Big athletic 3-4 DE.

We do very well with Barwin, Beatty and Delmas at 29, 34, and 37, plus a 2010 first round pick. Miami has a great day with Butler, English and Robiskie, and Cleveland with Orapko, Alphonso Smith and Sintim. Indy is very happy with Harvin and Hood, Denver gets Raji and Chung for their defense. Baltimore gets Maualuga plus a big CB. New Orleans gets a big RB to complement Reggie Bush and a safety who they consider a 1st round value. Lot of good drafts for teams, IMHO.

The biggest stunner I threw in was the Jets trade. GB could easily take Jenkins at #9 and the Jets take Freeman at #17, but I wanted to shake things up. If Stafford and Sanchez go early, I could see a team reaching for Freeman, as his stock has been rising and multiple teams could move up to get him.

Thoughts?

I'm on board with Beatty at 34. At first I was kind of worried about him not having enough strength to play the position and thought he may put up a lousy bench press. But 27 is not too shabby which put him in the upper portion of lineman. So not only does he have some of the best feet in the draft,but he also has long arms and some strength to go with it. I would be ok with not getting him if he we were able to score Eric Wood with the first pick in the 3rd. I think he is also Patriot worthy.

Does anyone think Eric Wood will be there at 58?

Here's another 2 round variant, incorporating some recent thoughts and news:

<snip draft pick text>

We do very well with Barwin, Beatty and Delmas at 29, 34, and 37, plus a 2010 first round pick. Miami has a great day with Butler, English and Robiskie, and Cleveland with Orapko, Alphonso Smith and Sintim. Indy is very happy with Harvin and Hood, Denver gets Raji and Chung for their defense. Baltimore gets Maualuga plus a big CB. New Orleans gets a big RB to complement Reggie Bush and a safety who they consider a 1st round value. Lot of good drafts for teams, IMHO.

The biggest stunner I threw in was the Jets trade. GB could easily take Jenkins at #9 and the Jets take Freeman at #17, but I wanted to shake things up. If Stafford and Sanchez go early, I could see a team reaching for Freeman, as his stock has been rising and multiple teams could move up to get him.

Thoughts?

My only question on this is why the Giants need to trade down in the second round to pick Hakeem Nicks six spots earlier, when there is a realistic chance both Nicks and Robiskie might be there for them at #45? And while Casey would be a very nice pick for them at the bottom of the second, there should be similar talent at TE scattered all through the second and third rounds. If they are going to trade up for a WR, they could potentially just sit in the weeds at 29 and wait for the slider out of Nicks, Heyward-Bey and Harvin.

Oh, one other thing - the Buff/Indy trade. Your first three rounder had selections for Buffalo that scared the hell out of me. This newest two rounder has the Bills passing on the chance to upgrade Spencer at DT with Ziggy Hood in exchange for pretty much late pick flotsam. I'd believe Marv would get his first erection of the decade if he saw Ziggy available at 42. He'd be a great UT next to Stroud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back