PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3/1/10 draft game- you make the Patriots picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a change, I'll try one with trades using this trade value chart because it was the one with the lowest value for #1 of the charts I found in a quick search: NFL Draft Trade Chart for 2009

Trade: #22 (800) for Chicago 2011 #1 (490), 2010 #75 (225), & Chicago 2011 #3 (86) --- Chicago waived Orlando Pace yesterday and badly need a LT to keep Cutler alive. Chicago traded their 2010 1st to Denver for Cutler (there are jobs riding on his arm), they also have no 2nd: I'm projecting five OT off the board forcing Chicago to trade ahead of Green Bay to grab the sole remaining OT with a possible first round grade.

Trade: For Baltimore #25 (740) & #184 (17.7) using NE 2011 #1 (390) & 2010 #53 (390): NE jumps back ahead of NYJ and selects DE Jared Odrick (Penn State).

Trade: #44 (480) & #213 (8.1) to KC for #50 (420) & #132 (41.1) & #163 (25.7) so they can draft NT Terrence Cody.

47 OLB Koa Misi
50 OT Roger Saffold
75 OLB Eric Norwood

Trade for Philadelphia #87 (165) with NE 2011 3rd (64) & Chicago 2011 3rd (86) & Baltimore #184 (17.7) to select WR Mardy Gilyard.

Trade for Tennessee #108 (84) with NE #116 (68) & NE 2011 6th (18.9) to select CB Javier Arenas.

132 CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
163 WR Blair White
180 TE Jim Dray

AdamJT13 forecast NE to receive four comp-picks, most likely all 7th round picks, so for fun here's 253-256.

253 DL Corey Peters
254 LB Stevenson Sylvester
255 RB Deji Karim
256 P Mike Brandtner

Recapping
25: DE Jared Odrick (To partner with Wright at RDE.)
47: OLB Koa Misi (Get him back up to 260 to platoon with Burgess.)
50: OL Roger Saffold (4-5 position OL.)
75: OLB Eric Norwood (Outstanding edge rusher who may grow into other roles.)
87: WR Mardy Gilyard (KR/PR/multi-role WR to team with Edelman & Tate.)
108: CB Javier Arenas (KR/PR/Nickelback - and the future Kevin Faulk.)
132: CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (Big CB.)
163: WR Blair White (Possession WR.)
180: TE Jim Dray (Blocking TE with good hands.)
253: DL Corey Peters (Same school/coach as Myron Pryor, taller/longer for res. DE.)
254: LB Stevenson Sylvester (Big play LB at Utah to bulk up and challenge Alexander.)
255: RB Deji Karim (Good small school RB to push Bjeepers.)
256: P Mike Brandtner (Someone needs to Punt.)

-- 13 draft picks: WR (2), DL (2), OLB (2), CB (2), OL, TE, RB, ILB, P with KR & PR depth improved.
-- Chicago 2011 #1 is likely to be higher then NE's would have been.
-- Rolled NE 2011 1st & 3rd & 6th, and Chicago 2011 3rd forward leaving 2011 picks as 1st (Oakland), 1st (Chicago), 2nd, 4th, 5th, & 7th (NO) in what to me looks to be a very weak draft class (and if it isn't NE has an extra 1st to make up any shortfalls in picks).

For a change, I'll try one with trades using this trade value chart because it was the one with the lowest value for #1 of the charts I found in a quick search: NFL Draft Trade Chart for 2009

Trade: #22 (800) for Chicago 2011 #1 (490), 2010 #75 (225), & Chicago 2011 #3 (86) --- Chicago waived Orlando Pace yesterday and badly need a LT to keep Cutler alive. Chicago traded their 2010 1st to Denver for Cutler (there are jobs riding on his arm), they also have no 2nd: I'm projecting five OT off the board forcing Chicago to trade ahead of Green Bay to grab the sole remaining OT with a possible first round grade.

Trade: For Baltimore #25 (740) & #184 (17.7) using NE 2011 #1 (390) & 2010 #53 (390): NE jumps back ahead of NYJ and selects DE Jared Odrick (Penn State).

Trade: #44 (480) & #213 (8.1) to KC for #50 (420) & #132 (41.1) & #163 (25.7) so they can draft NT Terrence Cody.

47 OLB Koa Misi
50 OT Roger Saffold
75 OLB Eric Norwood

Trade for Philadelphia #87 (165) with NE 2011 3rd (64) & Chicago 2011 3rd (86) & Baltimore #184 (17.7) to select WR Mardy Gilyard.

Trade for Tennessee #108 (84) with NE #116 (68) & NE 2011 6th (18.9) to select CB Javier Arenas.

132 CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
163 WR Blair White
180 TE Jim Dray

AdamJT13 forecast NE to receive four comp-picks, most likely all 7th round picks, so for fun here's 253-256.

253 DL Corey Peters
254 LB Stevenson Sylvester
255 RB Deji Karim
256 P Mike Brandtner

Recapping
253: DL Corey Peters (Same school/coach as Myron Pryor, taller/longer for res. DE.)
254: LB Stevenson Sylvester (Big play LB at Utah to bulk up and challenge Alexander.)

-- 13 draft picks: WR (2), DL (2), OLB (2), CB (2), OL, TE, RB, ILB, P with KR & PR depth improved.
-- Chicago 2011 #1 is likely to be higher then NE's would have been.
-- Rolled NE 2011 1st & 3rd & 6th, and Chicago 2011 3rd forward leaving 2011 picks as 1st (Oakland), 1st (Chicago), 2nd, 4th, 5th, & 7th (NO) in what to me looks to be a very weak draft class (and if it isn't NE has an extra 1st to make up any shortfalls in picks).

:stars2: ouch. I had to read that twice to make sure i understood the 800 trades you listed :D very awesome Sir Box. I would be more than satified with this draft.

Only thing is, im kind of hoping BB uses that 2011 1st in some sort of magical trade that lands us McClain, and then still be able to get Cody.........
(I bet i could pull it off on Madden) :bricks:

Ill take my stab at it...

22.Golden Tate
42.Terrence Cody/Carlos Dunlap
48.Jahvid Best
53. Jerry Hughes/Eric Norwood

# Name Pos School
22 Jared Odrick DT Penn State
44 Kyle Calloway OT Iowa
47 Dexter McCluster RB Mississippi
53 Brandon Lang DE Troy
116 Marcus Easley WR Connecticut
180 Arthur Moats OLB James Madison
213 A.J. Jefferson CB Fresno State

Recapping

My thinking is that you can get an impact DT late in the draft (4th Rd Geno Atkins). I like Sean Wetherspoon's leadership, swagger, motor mouth (and he backs it up). He played special teams in the Senior Bowl (leading by example). He is very fast, good in pass coverage and is an every down player no matter what package you put out there. I'm not dissing Odrick (and if they pick hime I would be fine with that), just that they could get a very good player later.

:stars2: ouch. I had to read that twice to make sure i understood the 800 trades you listed :D very awesome Sir Box. I would be more than satified with this draft.

Only thing is, im kind of hoping BB uses that 2011 1st in some sort of magical trade that lands us McClain, and then still be able to get Cody.........
(I bet i could pull it off on Madden) :bricks:
McClain has become some kind of mystic totem for people. In order to estimate how NE might behave with #22 I mocked most of the first round in terms of how kids might come off the board, that's how I could see Chicago feeling pressured for a LT after they gave up on their Orlando Pace experiment - McClain was there, he just slid to the end of the first round as higher priority positions kicked in (OT, S, DE, DT). I don't see NEP falling in love with McClain the way fans have, Guyton plays better than he's given credit, and with Tedi in his cheering section I'm not seeing NE shaking up their young ILB trio to take another one high in the draft.

With Vince locked up under Franchise, I don't see NE buying into Cody - and if Vince finds a trade partner NE will have the ammo to bring Cody onboard. The other heroes people discuss here weren't doing it for me from my perception of NE's need vs. value. Hence a Chicago feeling desperate enough to give up next year's top draft pick for a LT prospect this season. I'm not sure Odrick rides until #25, but in terms of 3-4 DE prospects he's clearly the next one up after Suh goes off the board.

My thinking is that you can get an impact DT late in the draft (4th Rd Geno Atkins). I like Sean Wetherspoon's leadership, swagger, motor mouth (and he backs it up). He played special teams in the Senior Bowl (leading by example). He is very fast, good in pass coverage and is an every down player no matter what package you put out there. I'm not dissing Odrick (and if they pick hime I would be fine with that), just that they could get a very good player later.
Atkins is a 3-tech on my board, Indy should love him. Weatherspoon is a nice looking kid, but NE has invested two top three round picks into ILB and he's a luxury pick compared to filling the DL out with some meat.

Code:
#22 Jared Odrick DE/DT Penn State
#44 Koa Misi OLB Utah
#47 Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinnati
#53 Jerry Hughes OLB TCU
#116 Walter Thurmond CB Oregon
#180 Emmanuel Sanders WR SMU
#213 Eric Olsen OG/C Notre Dame

I'm sitting at #22 with Dan Williams on the board, waiting for Scott Pioli to call. He doesn't disappoint, so in exchange for #22, I get #36 and #68, closing up that third round hole. This ranking looks out of date. Pierre-Paul at 25? Taylor Mays at 13? Brandon Lafell at 34? Anyway...

36. Jerry Hughes OLB TCU - Fill the most glaring hole first. I could have taken JP-P here, but I'm not sure he's a 3-4 OLB.

44. Arrelious Benn WR Illinois - This is grand larceny, and at a position of need to boot

47. Roger Saffold OT Indiana - This assumes Wilfork is re-signed. If not, Cody has to go here. Saffold will either be the swing tackle or Neal insurance this year, with an eye to LT next year.

53. Ben Tate RB Auburn - Great value on a productive back.

68. Dorin ****erson TE Pittsburgh - I'll move him all over, from the wing, to the slot, to fullback, and even split wide. A guy like this makes a Jim Kelly/Peyton Manning no-huddle offense work.

116. AJ Edds ILB Iowa - I thought I lost my chance at him. Good to see him still here. Already our best coverage linebacker.

180. Clifton Geathers DE South Carolina - I narrowly missed out on some bigger fish earlier, but this athletic big man could be something special in a year.

213. Shelley Smith G Colorado St - Again, I missed out on some targeted guys earlier, but getting Saffold makes drafting a guard less urgent. Smith isn't going to bury anybody, but he's lights out in the screen game.

We should have another 7th round pick, plus 3 more 7th round comps.

7b. Tony Washington OT Abilene Christian - Some off-field issues, but it would be irresponsible not to take someone this physically talented this late.

7c. Chris Brown RB Oklahoma - Injuries devalued him, but he could develop into Faulk's successor. Great pedigree at OU.

7d. Matt Dodge P East Carolina - I won't give a punter the satisfaction of an explanation. I feel bad enough spending a draft pick on one.

7e. Scott Long WR Louisville - He's still here?

Now the hard part...trying to limit the undrafteds to 10 free agent signings:

Bill Stull QB Pittsburgh
Stafon Johnson RB USC
Mike Hoosyourdaddy TE Illinois
Jeff Cottam TE Tennessee
Austin Steichan C Northern Iowa
Demarcus Granger NT Oklahoma
Jeromy Miles S Massachusetts
George Johnson OLB Rutgers
Joe Pawelek ILB Baylor
Greg Middleton ILB Indiana

Hey guys, first post here...here's my draft for us...

#22 Brandon Graham OLB/DE Michigan or Jared Odrick DT/DE Penn State or Everson Griffen DE Southern California
#44 Jahvid Best RB Cal
#47 Jerry Hughes DE/OLB TCU
#53 Damian Williams WR Southern California
#116 Eric Norwood OLB South Carolina
#180 Eric Olsen C/OG Notre Dame
#213 Danario Alexander WR Missouri

Compensatory or UDFA? Not sure right now, but I would like Stafon Johnson RB Southern California, Brandon Brinkley CB Houston and Josh Hull ILB Penn State

Last edited:
I am working on posting the misi stuff I got, emailed my friend since he is more computer savvy, hopefully I will get it up. Mostly tv stuff, but he was able to highlight him so I knew where to look. Fun stuff.

I am working on posting the misi stuff I got, emailed my friend since he is more computer savvy, hopefully I will get it up. Mostly tv stuff, but he was able to highlight him so I knew where to look. Fun stuff.
Kewl beans!

Recapping

Ok, Box, whew! Major migraine following that and can just imagine the headache you developed while doing it. Great work, now just email it to Caserio so he can take the credit!?

No trades, I picked:
22. Odrick, DE
44. Gronkowski, TE
47. Koa Misi, OLB
53. Taylor Price, WR (or maybe Benn but his work ethic bothers me)
or Devin McCourty, CB, KR, PR

116. A J Edds, OLB
180. Adam Ulatoski, OT
213. Eric Olsen, OG/C

253-256. Kyle Williams, WR; Corey Peterson, DT; Deji Karim, RB; Brandtner, P

I really wanted to take Ben Tate with 116 but Edds fills a bigger need.

Last edited:
I'm basing this off of nfl.draftsite.com, they seem to have some extra picks for us in rounds 3 and 5, I'm not sure why but I'm just going to go with it and throw in 97 from Baltimore for Adalius Thomas and 104 from Washington for Maroney, I can dream, can't I?

22 - Brandon Graham OLB
44 - Alex Carrington DT
47 - Tyson Aluala DT
53 - Tim Tebow QB
70 - Jared Veldheer OT
86 - Donald Butler ILB
97 - Mitch Petrus OG
104 - O'Brien Schofield OLB
120 - Koa Misi ILB
140 - Blair White WR
148 - Jim Dray TE
193 - Kevin Matthews C
208 - Jameson Konz TE
233 - Michael Smith RB
235 - Jeff Owens DT
255 - Matt Dodge PT

UDFA
Cody Slate - TE
LaMarcus Coker - RB
Trindon Holliday - RS
Brandon Minor - RB
Curtis Gregory - OG

I'm basing this off of nfl.draftsite.com, they seem to have some extra picks for us in rounds 3 and 5, I'm not sure why but I'm just going to go with it and throw in 97 from Baltimore for Adalius Thomas and 104 from Washington for Maroney, I can dream, can't I?

22 - Brandon Graham OLB
44 - Alex Carrington DT
47 - Tyson Aluala DT
53 - Tim Tebow QB
70 - Jared Veldheer OT
86 - Donald Butler ILB
97 - Mitch Petrus OG
104 - O'Brien Schofield OLB
120 - Koa Misi ILB
140 - Blair White WR
148 - Jim Dray TE
193 - Kevin Matthews C
208 - Jameson Konz TE
233 - Michael Smith RB
235 - Jeff Owens DT
255 - Matt Dodge PT

UDFA
Cody Slate - TE
LaMarcus Coker - RB
Trindon Holliday - RS
Brandon Minor - RB
Curtis Gregory - OG
They forgot to credit the Oakland trade to get Burgess. :cool:

Konz intrigues me, his projected straight line speed is WR fast and he's big WR sized, yet Kent State used him as a TE - I wonder if he has any wiggle and how good his hands are, he could be a nice big intermediate/deep target to draw coverage off Moss if his hands, wiggle, and mind check out.

#22 Jared Odrick - DE
#44 Kyle Wilson - CB
#47 Aaron Hernandez- TE
#53 Jerry Hughes - OLB
#116 Dezmon Briscoe - WR
#180 Sergio Render - G
#213-Andre Anderson - RB

They forgot to credit the Oakland trade to get Burgess. :cool:

Konz intrigues me, his projected straight line speed is WR fast and he's big WR sized, yet Kent State used him as a TE - I wonder if he has any wiggle and how good his hands are, he could be a nice big intermediate/deep target to draw coverage off Moss if his hands, wiggle, and mind check out.

Doh, do you think there's any chance we can send them Thomas and Burgess back for picks? We need to find out what makes Al Davis nutty and spike his morning coffee.

Doh, do you think there's any chance we can send them Thomas and Burgess back for picks? We need to find out what makes Al Davis nutty and spike his morning coffee.
I like what Burgess did last season, he had to go through the same transition as other veterans and had to handle it during the season instead of camp - I'm hoping to see him re-signed for one or two seasons to serve as a mentor/transition for a couple youngsters from this draft. If BB can get the WR corps fleshed out with someone other then Joey Galloway drones the offense will get back to abusing the NFL rules protecting passing teams and the defense can start teeing off against the pass and ignoring the run again.

"Konz intrigues me, his projected straight line speed is WR fast and he's big WR sized, yet Kent State used him as a TE - I wonder if he has any wiggle and how good his hands are, he could be a nice big intermediate/deep target to draw coverage off Moss if his hands, wiggle, and mind check out."

Don't go by the way Kent State used Konz. They started him out at LB and DE for 3 years, then switched him to TE until he injured his ankle against Boston College in the 1st game of 2008. They finally put him at WR/H-back for his senior year after he was red-shirted for the injury.

With his low 4.4s speed (he actually ran a 4.38 in the spring of 2008 for NFL scouts), it's clear he should have been playing on offense the entire time in college. Kent State had very few WRs who could run decent routes or catch the ball while Edelman was the QB, which is why Edelman was always scrambling out of the pocket running for his life.

Jameson Konz is now 6-3, 240. He really has only played the WR/TE position for 1 year, and that was with a true freshman at QB last year for Kent State, so his numbers don't look that great. But with his combination of speed and strength (28-30 reps on the bench) he could present match up nightmares for opposing NFL defensive coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back