PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2nd round trade, right now who would you rather have?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who would you rather have?

• Rueben Randle

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Trumaine Johnson

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Josh Robinson

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Brandon Taylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mohamed Sanu

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Bequette, Ebner, Dennard, Ebert

Votes: 55 70.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire discussion is theoretical genius. The player hasn't played a down in the NFL.

Not for long, the rubber will eventually meet the road with Wilson and the quality, or lack of, BB's decision on him will become more apparent.

Lavonte David.................I think they made a mistake passing on him but they certainly knew why they were doing so.

Not for long, the rubber will eventually meet the road with Wilson and the quality, or lack of, BB's decision on him will become more apparent.

Sure, but we are discussing it today. You can't use the result in your argument when the result hasn't happened.

I have no clue what you are talking about here. I am talking about the fact that if you and Bill Belichick sat down and analyzed 100 players from this draft, he would have a better and more accurate analysis that you 100 times.

You're presuming, as a given, what you seek to prove. Good luck with that.

This is the dumb luck part of the equation. There is no doubt you would end up more right on some of them but it wouldn't be because you are more informed or more equipped to analyze, but because it is an inexact science and many players do not turn out as expected.
My 13 year old son could pick a better stock than a professional a few times out of 100, because of dumb luck. That doesn't mean that his reasoning for doing so on any given stock hplds any water.

Maybe it's not dumb luck, did you ever think of that?

After all, if a professional scout can dismiss a player's toughness because they were raised by women then I don't feel any need to take their judgment as being inherently better than mine.

Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen - JSOnline

Sure, but we are discussing it today. You can't use the result in your argument when the result hasn't happened.

It also doesnt need to be limited to Wilson, BB has made other decisions that I've disagreed with and been proven correct. The point is that you dismiss my opinions because they don't fit your theory, even if the results prove superior. In the scientific method you re-evaluate your theory when new information is available and potentially revise your theory, you're dismissing results because they don't conform to your theory.

Lavonte David.................I think they made a mistake passing on him but they certainly knew why they were doing so.

Why would you say that?

Febuary 3rd 2013: :singing::singing::singing: "BB and his team once again prove how good they are, I wouldn't want anyone else in charge"

April 27th 2013: :mad::mad::mad: "I could make better picks than the so called professionals"

Febuary 2nd 2014 ::singing::singing::singing:....etc etc

It also doesnt need to be limited to Wilson, BB has made other decisions that I've disagreed with and been proven correct. The point is that you dismiss my opinions because they don't fit your theory, even if the results prove superior.
That is ridiculous. Your opinion is less informed and less knowledgable than his.
Personelll decisions and football decision are very often wrong. To say you had a different deciision that you think would have been better is the exact point of dumb luck.

In the scientific method you re-evaluate your theory when new information is available and potentially revise your theory, you're dismissing results because they don't conform to your theory.
There are no results to assess.
But lets try this exercise.

Please list all of the decisions that BB has made that you feel you were equally or better informed to make.

Please list all of the decisions that BB has made that you feel you are more knowledgable and therefore more capable of making.

Please do not list a bunch of crap like I knew this was a bad pick, blah, blah, blah. BB makes 1000s of decisions running this team, and he has proven to be one of the best ever. Isolating some that went wrong and pretending you could do a better job than him because you cried about the decision while lacking the information that went into or the football intellect to understand it is foolish.

Febuary 3rd 2013: :singing::singing::singing: "BB and his team once again prove how good they are, I wouldn't want anyone else in charge"

April 27th 2013: :mad::mad::mad: "I could make better picks than the so called professionals"

Febuary 2nd 2014 ::singing::singing::singing:....etc etc

It's right up there with

"The Jets had a great draft."

"No, they didn't. The scouting reports on the players they drafted say they all sucked."

followed by

"The scouting reports said all the Patriots players sucked too."

"You can't trust the scouting reports. BB knows the players better than they do."

*Note: Both of these apply to pretty much every fan base in the league.

Last edited:
You're presuming, as a given, what you seek to prove. Good luck with that.
Wait. So you disagree that BB has more data with which to make the decision and more football knowledge than you?

Maybe it's not dumb luck, did you ever think of that?
Oh no it is.

After all, if a professional scout can dismiss a player's toughness because they were raised by women then I don't feel any need to take their judgment as being inherently better than mine.
So you feel you are qualified to run the Patriots?

url=http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps20-vn4vq5d-148210085.html]Rating the NFL draft prospects: Offensive linemen - JSOnline[/url]

That completely doesnt say what you are trying to say it does.

Why would you say that?

Because I thought he was the best prospect for them on the board but they obviously didn't. Everyone who follows the draft comes up with lists of favorite prospects and wants those to be there choices, but we don't have anything even remotely close to the detailed information the Patriots have, and while we are just looking at getting the player we think is best they have many other team considerations to take into account when making their choices. Building an entire team and just taking individual players are very different things, and thinking we know better just because we are right on certain prospects is foolishness.

Because I thought he was the best prospect for them on the board but they obviously didn't. Everyone who follows the draft comes up with lists of favorite prospects and wants those to be there choices, but we don't have anything even remotely close to the detailed information the Patriots have, and while we are just looking at getting the player we think is best they have many other team considerations to take into account when making their choices. Building an entire team and just taking individual players are very different things, and thinking we know better just because we are right on certain prospects is foolishness.
Simple answer, don't come up with a list of favourite prospects and the mental anguish is diminished to below average importance. ;)

I've changed my tune in regards to following the draft the past few seasons. Look at what the team needs are then hope the Patriots draft positional value. If the needs are filled through Free Agency, Trades and the Draft, then I'm fairly happy. I know the FO is one of the best in the NFL, so it makes it easier to swallow so called questionable decisions.

Wait. So you disagree that BB has more data with which to make the decision and more football knowledge than you?

While Mel Kiper and the draft industry pundits might have more football knowledge than me, they surely don't have more knowledge than BB who, if he retired tomorrow, is already a HOF lock for Canton. In hindsight, players like Vollmer and McCourty turned out not to be reaches at all. Players like Butler who dropped but were still picked in upper rounds turned out not to be good picks at all though most fans (and probably Kiper too) loved where they were picked it at the time. Not that BB picked Butler because of his perceived value to pundits and fans but, possibly, he regretted not selecting that year's under the radar version of Vollmer who was still out there at that spot.

The Combine and Pro Day numbers influence the Kiper guys and fans but often differ from what teams see elsewhere, particularly in their own private workouts. Scouting professionals and management of every team never reveal their true intentions unless, of course, you will use the top draft pick overall on a consensus franchise player like Andrew Luck.

Not every pick that is a reach in the opinion of Kiper turns out that way. However, many those players, who he believes are good picks because they were available much later than according to his ranking, turn out to be exactly what in reality is a consensus among every GM, as exemplified by so many passes. Such players were overrated by the wannabes but not by the pros.

Mel Kiper is no Bill James because, despite his obsessiveness for decades, the pros know that he is full of it.

BB is going to the HOF because, despite the inevitability of his mistakes, he brilliantly learns from each failure (though we aren't privy to his evaluations with his intimate associates). That's why he is a fixture after so long. When is the last time Kiper ever admitted making a mistake or even conceded that the professionals might know more than him (an inarguable proposition)?

Sleepers are never players that Kiper likes when picked. Sleepers are those ultimately good players like Vollmer when picked surprisingly high (based on fan and pundit perception) or unexpected successes, like Brady or Welker, who are selected low or acquired as an UFA without any fanfare at all.

If you have lots of information, then (in any endeavor), you need to trust your gut when you make a decision. That's what happens every time BB trusts his gut rather than considers opinions by fools like Kiper who have comparatively incomplete information. That's why, given his track record (with his share of failures just like everyone else), in BB we should trust.

It's one thing to have knowledge, using it is another. This doesn't mean that I'm better than BB overall, but I certainly have been better here and there. You're trying to create this false dichotomy that in order for me to take issue with anything BB does then I must obviously feel I'm better than him at every aspect of his job, which I don't.

So you feel you are qualified to run the Patriots?

No, I also don't know how to skipper a ship, does that mean going through iceberg filled waters isn't a stupid idea?

That completely doesnt say what you are trying to say it does.

The scout questioned how tough a player could be because he was raised by women, how can you deny it? Recently someone posted a link to a page where a GM questioned whether Andy Dalton could be successful because there have barely been any red-haired QBs in the league. If you want to defend a jackass like that, who probably has as much access to tape as BB, then go right ahead.

Someone can be brilliant 99% of time and idiotic the 1%, and while that's a damn good ratio it doesn't make that 1% any less idiotic. Why is it heresy to call it as it is?

I liked all the draft but Tavon Wilson. I'm gonna pretend that we didnt have that 2nd round and thats it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back