PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2nd offseason without Pioli - Would anything be different if he were still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all do understand that know one could take Wilfork from us under a transition tag unless Wilfork wanted to go.

If this is big hangup for folks, then presume the Wilfork would have been franchised and Seymour transitioned. In any case, we would had an opportunity to negotiate with both of them.

And there most likely would have been million$ of reasons why he would have wanted to go.

You all do understand that know one could take Wilfork from us under a transition tag unless Wilfork wanted to go.

If this is big hangup for folks, then presume the Wilfork would have been franchised and Seymour transitioned. In any case, we would had an opportunity to negotiate with both of them.

Well, if Wilfork didn't want to go, he could always just give the Pats the right of first refusal even if he wasn't tagged. But if he wants to go, he can get a contract structure that the Pats would have difficulty matching to get out.

The transition tag doesn't give you any extra opportunity to negotate with a player than if he becomes an UFA with no tag. All it gives you is the opportunity to match any offer that is made to the player. If you transition tag a player, the player is under no obligation to negotiate a contract with you and can negotiate with every other team other than you.

In fact, a transition tag can work against a team. If other teams know you are going to match almost any offer that you give the player, they are going to make the contract as unattractive to you (or blatantly use a poison pill) to make it so you don't match.

Last edited:
I was actually glad to see Pioli go and Belichick basically have total control. I was never a big Pioli fan and felt his more conservative approach held Belichick back in the last few years.

I don't like what Pioli has done in KC so far. I hated the Tyson Jackson pick. I don't know what he was thinking with that pick. I didn't see him as that great of a prospect. They should've used that pick on rebuilding their offensive line and getting a tackle like Monroe, or to get that NT for the 3-4 in Raji. I think trading a 2nd rounder for Cassel and giving him a 6 year 63 million dollar deal was a mistake. I think Cassel was a product of the great system installed by BB/McDaniels and the WR he played with (Moss, Welker, Gaffney).

We could have negiotiated with both of them without either receiving a tag of any kind.

I was actually glad to see Pioli go and Belichick basically have total control. I was never a big Pioli fan and felt his more conservative approach held Belichick back in the last few years.

I don't like what Pioli has done in KC so far. I hated the Tyson Jackson pick. I don't know what he was thinking with that pick. I didn't see him as that great of a prospect. They should've used that pick on rebuilding their offensive line and getting a tackle like Monroe, or to get that NT for the 3-4 in Raji. I think trading a 2nd rounder for Cassel and giving him a 6 year 63 million dollar deal was a mistake. I think Cassel was a product of the great system installed by BB/McDaniels and the WR he played with (Moss, Welker, Gaffney).

I thought Pioli was going to make Cassel play for the franchise tender myself. Personally, I thought that was the best way to go. In hindsight, it was. They could have resigned him for far less than he got this year.

I thought Pioli was going to make Cassel play for the franchise tender myself. Personally, I thought that was the best way to go. In hindsight, it was. They could have resigned him for far less than he got this year.

Yeah I didn't think he deserved that type of money before proving he could be an adequate QB without McDaniels, Belichick, and basically the same dominant offense from 07 minus Stallworth.

I suspect that Seymour would still be here, franchised. A transition tag would ahve been put on WIlfork until his contract was complete.

We would have a better team in 2009 and 2010.

Rob0729 said:

I suspect you're both wrong. I suspect the decision not to extend Seymour had been made by the end of 2007 and when the opportunity to trade him for what would likely amount to a top 5 1st in a capped draft presented itself in 2009 Pioli would have been all over it too. Remember he traded for a QB and then traded away his aging HOF TE... It was on his watch that Branch didn't get extended and got flipped for a first on the eve of a season and on his watch that they kept insulting Asante with sub top 5 offers and then tagged him non exclusive and probably would have (and arguably should have) traded him had anyone nibbled. His Chiefs have one of the 5 lowest payrolls in the league to date for 2010, roughly $40M below the 2009 floor I believe I just read...

And the decision to extend Wilfork had already been made, but they wanted to gauge the market for NT as well as for guys like Peppers and Boldin before they committed to contract terms with Vince because even with $40 parking their cash flow is limited. Absent compensation he'd have been made an offer he couldn't refuse and we couldn't match before we had a chance to apologize. And Seymour would have been gone either way because we weren't paying him $12M long or short term and no one else was going to bite on a tag and trade for the priviledge.

Scott hit on some tremendous talents and values in his stint as player personnel director here. He also swung and missed increasingly. That was his job, identify talent for the system. Bill of course developed the system and scheme and coached it, in addition to signing off on Scott doing the job Bill essentially taught him...how to scout talent for the system and manage a salary cap.

I think Scott is a bright guy and a great guy to work with. I'm not sure he will succeed absent Belichick at the helm. I don't believe Haley is the guy for the job, I think he really wanted Firenz, I hope bringing Charlie and RAC into the mix will mitigate that for Scott and Matt's sake.

As for Cassel, his deal is cap friendly going forward, and they had cap room to burn in 2009(in fact they struggled to make the floor last year too) so it made way more sense to get his long term deal done and let the TV networks pay for it... The alternative was to face another tag this season or to draft a rookie QB last season with their #1 pick and pay him Stafford (6/$72M) or Sanchez (5/$50-$60M) money... Comparatively speaking Cassel was a bargain once extended. This year they would have had to tag him again and hope Josh didn't swoop in. And with $30M in the bank Matt could have still been available to Josh come 2011...

Like I said, Scott is a bright guy. Just like the guy who just traded for Brady Quinn for a bag of balls... the only one who has strayed off script is Dimetroff, and he was in a rather unique situation since he didn't have access to much if any system help and he was in a situation that wasn't going to allow much leeway for anything short of a turnaround on the fly and a new face for the franchise. So he had to adapt and decided to gambled his #1 on a fairly cerebral kid as it is...

That's another reason why I chuckle when every once and a while someone claims that NE must have wanted that Raiders 2011 pick to draft their next QB...LOL

All i know is that he's doing a pretty decent job in KC.

Getting Weis and RAC as OC and DC.

Adding RB Thomas Jones, G Ryan Lilja(former starting G of the COlts), WR Jehreme Urban(who was with Todd Haley in Arizona). Resigning guys like Vrabel and Chris Chambers.

If they can grab a playmaker like Eric Berry in the secondary in the 1st, a run stopping NT like Mt. Cody in the 2nd, keep rebuiliding that O-line, and the secondary then this team could be an 8-8 or 9-7 type team next year maybe better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back