PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2nd offseason without Pioli - Would anything be different if he were still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
How much if at all did the defection of Pioli meant to this team in terms of offseason transactions outside of signing thier own players to extensions?

With Pioli should he have stayed,Would the team have been more active early? or stayed pat on the big names and wait for the 2nd,3rd tier of FAs like we have done?

I guess you have to ask yourself if Belichick relied in the past on Pioli's help to make some offseason roster moves that he would not have done himself has Pioli not been around then.

no this is the way the pats work cap or no cap. only two big name FA were ever signed in the first week in 10 years.

How much if at all did the defection of Pioli meant to this team in terms of offseason transactions outside of signing thier own players to extensions?

With Pioli should he have stayed,Would the team have been more active early? or stayed pat on the big names and wait for the 2nd,3rd tier of FAs like we have done?

I guess you have to ask yourself if Belichick relied in the past on Pioli's help to make some offseason roster moves that he would not have done himself has Pioli not been around then.

Huh? LOL

They pretty much always operated under the same principles whether they were making that decision with or without each others input. Pioli could have loaded up in KC this year and last, and he didn't. If anything Bill may be a tad less conservative in his analysis with Scott gone. Scott was pretty vocal about his belief that the system dictated certain financial and chracter parameters and limited the available talent pool. They made some good and not so good decisions when operating in tandem. I'm sure that will remain the case for each operating seperately.

whatif_ICFJ-784627.jpg

...if Pioli were still here

...all would be well

...the Pats would have the strongest, deepest roster in the NFL

...Faulk would have gained that extra yard

...Brewski and Rodney wouldn't have retired

...Welker wouldn't have been injured

...the team would have shown up for the Ravens playoff game

...Crazy Al would have given us next year's first rounder just because Pioli asked him real nice and Seymour would have had an all Pro season with the Pats ending in his sack of Brees that concluded the Super Bowl.

...there would be another Lombardi in Foxboro...

How the heck do I know? How the heck could any of us know? When's the goddam Draft? Isn't March Madness about to start?

Last edited:
This thread boggles the mind.

It's not been that kind of free agent market. Locking down Wilfork and Bodden went a long way towards stabilizing the defense and there's no way, with Pioli or without, that the team was going to outbid the Bears for Peppers. Proven veterans or promising rookies, the only way the Pats are going to get either anytime soon is on draft day.

It's not been that kind of free agent market. Locking down Wilfork and Bodden went a long way towards stabilizing the defense and there's no way, with Pioli or without, that the team was going to outbid the Bears for Peppers. Proven veterans or promising rookies, the only way the Pats are going to get either anytime soon is on draft day.

I didn't mention Peppers as a player that might have been signed because he was never coming here to begin with,Pioli helped make some decisions here but he was not paying the players big dollars,thats up to Kraft

Belichick was still the guy who set the plan. Pioli was the talent evaluator. Pioli could try to convince Belichick to go after or not go after a certain free agent, but it was ultimately Belichick's decision or a joint decision. I doubt Pioli would have convinced Belichick to outbid the Bears for Peppers or agree to give Boldin a long term deal to make that trade go through.

Belichick was still the guy who set the plan. Pioli was the talent evaluator. Pioli could try to convince Belichick to go after or not go after a certain free agent, but it was ultimately Belichick's decision or a joint decision. I doubt Pioli would have convinced Belichick to outbid the Bears for Peppers or agree to give Boldin a long term deal to make that trade go through.

I don't know why people here are thinking that I am saying we would have signed Peppers or Dansby because Pioli or no Pioli,that was NOT going to happen unless Kraft himself wanted them badly.

What I am referring to is not the top 2 Fas but more along the lines of a Kampman or Nate Burleson for example or someone of not the Elite FA catagory but a step below.

Except that maybe Cassel might be in Denver instead of KC, and maybe Weis and Crennel might be working here, I don't think there'd be much of anything different.

maybe..........maybe not

but something tells me he didn't have all his facts on cassel

Last edited:
I don't know why people here are thinking that I am saying we would have signed Peppers or Dansby because Pioli or no Pioli,that was NOT going to happen unless Kraft himself wanted them badly.

What I am referring to is not the top 2 Fas but more along the lines of a Kampman or Nate Burleson for example or someone of not the Elite FA catagory but a step below.

Whether it is Pepper or Dansby or Kampman or Burleson (both were also probably paid well above their value), I seriously doubt Pioli would have had much of a difference in what the Pats did. Belichick still has final say over the personnel and it is hard to think that Belichick wouldn't go after a WR who is getting paid $5 million a year or a DE/OLB who is getting $6.5 million, but Pioli could convince to do so. I could see a value free agent or two that Pioli might have convinced Belichick to make a run at him. But I seriously doubt Pioli would have made a difference on any player who got a significant contract based on his value already in free agency.

...if Pioli were still here

...all would be well

...the Pats would have the strongest, deepest roster in the NFL

...Faulk would have gained that extra yard

...Brewski and Rodney wouldn't have retired

...Welker wouldn't have been injured

...the team would have shown up for the Ravens playoff game

...Crazy Al would have given us next year's first rounder just because Pioli asked him real nice and Seymour would have had an all Pro season with the Pats ending in his sack of Brees that concluded the Super Bowl.

...there would be another Lombardi in Foxboro...

How the heck do I know? How the heck could any of us know? When's the goddam Draft? Isn't March Madness about to start?

Don't forget, only Pioli could slam the Patroit's revolving door.

Maybe the disorganization was a matter of timing. Rumour had it that nobody wore a watch since Pioli decided what time it was.

Cassel would be in Denver
The Patriots would have had a higher pick than 34
Percy Harvin or maybe Louis Delmas is a Patriot instead of Patrick Chung

I suspect that Seymour would still be here, franchised. A transition tag would ahve been put on WIlfork until his contract was complete.

We would have a better team in 2009 and 2010.

I suspect that Seymour would still be here, franchised. A transition tag would ahve been put on WIlfork until his contract was complete.

Coincidence or not, the drafting without Pioli seemed better in 2009. As I've stated before, 06-08 drafts were terrible. Wifork with a transition tag would have left the Pats with no compensation if/when another team used the poison pill. 2009 with Seymour would most likely be a better team. 2010 without Wilfork would not be a better team.

You might make the argument that the Seymour trade wouldn't have happened (although I doubt it), but there is no way they would have put the transition tag on Wilfork. If the Pats put the transition tag on Wilfork, he'd might be a Chief, Brown, Bill, Cardinal, or Charger right now. Seriously, do you really think that Pioli would leave Wilfork exposed to be signed away by anyone without any compensation? You do realize the transition tag only gives the Pats protection in that they can match any offer, but receive no compensation if they don't?

If Pioli would leave Wilfork virtually unprotected with the transition tag, Belichick was the true brains of the operation. There is a reason the transition tag is rarely used.

Last edited:
You all do understand that know one could take Wilfork from us under a transition tag unless Wilfork wanted to go.

If this is big hangup for folks, then presume the Wilfork would have been franchised and Seymour transitioned. In any case, we would had an opportunity to negotiate with both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes