Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Giants

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Some other Team

Votes: 46 48.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for people like myself and Kontradiction, when you live somewhere else for a while you tend to start following the team in that area a bit almost by default. Obviously it helps a great deal if that team is at minimum outside the division, hopefully never a threat to the Pats, and preferably in the NFC. If you lived there since pre-internet, pre-Sunday Ticket, then it's almost impossible to have followed the NFL and not also watched that second team.

It also helps if you are in an area like Florida, Atlanta or Carolina where there are a lot of transplants - which makes rooting for your hometown (Pats) team more acceptable than rooting for them in let's say Philly or Pittsburgh. In those cases the responses you receive may make it impossible to root for the team in your adopted city.

My guess is that most people that have a 'second team' live outside New England and have been there for a while. I doubt many that have lived their whole life in New England have another 'favorite' team, even if it is a distant second.

I moved out of "New England" in 98 when I joined the Army. I was sent to Northern Virginia in 2001 and have been here since. Fortunately, I have had Sunday Ticket for all but the 2001 season. I would never consider rooting for the Skins in any capacity for any reason. But, I did try to root for the Nationals, figured since I am a Sox fan it wouldn't hurt to root for the local team, since they were in the National league. I watched them for a month, and never once felt anything emotionaly win or lose. Because of the lack of emotion I gave up.

Besides Boston, I've lived in LA (long ago) and New York, but after the past decade of Pats events I can't keep any warm & fuzzies for the Rams, Jets, or Giants.

Maybe the 49ers. I probably have more friends in the SF Bay Area than anywhere else -- Boston not excepted -- and hope to actually move there over the next couple of years. And there's no particular reason to dislike them.

Defiantly the Patriots, but I was rooting hard for the Texans ( who have been dominated for so long). Love the seahawks fans, I just cant get by the uniform and HC. The Chiefs fans are really cool too , and they show a lot of spirit, I respect that.

Last edited:
always respected the steelers and the manner the rooney family conducts their business. if the pats can't win, i would take a small measure of comfort knowing a decent steeler org. deprived the jets or colts a chance for victory. nothing beats the pride in the pats though.

I like the:

Steelers
Bengals
Raiders
Chargers
Jaguars
Lions
Vikings
Falcons
Panthers

Don't get me started on College teams. :eek:

I moved out of "New England" in 98 when I joined the Army. I was sent to Northern Virginia in 2001 and have been here since. Fortunately, I have had Sunday Ticket for all but the 2001 season. I would never consider rooting for the Skins in any capacity for any reason. But, I did try to root for the Nationals, figured since I am a Sox fan it wouldn't hurt to root for the local team, since they were in the National league. I watched them for a month, and never once felt anything emotionaly win or lose. Because of the lack of emotion I gave up.
Why do you think that is, regarding the Redskins?
Outnumbered to the point it pisses you off (see Philly example)?
Arrogance and general douche-baggery by their fans?
The thought of rooting for a Dan Snyder team causes you to throw up in your mouth?
Would rather have been sent somewhere besides NoVa?
The Redskins are boring and suck?
Something else? All of the above?

I like the:

Steelers
Bengals
Raiders
Chargers

double_facepalm_lg.jpg

Last edited:
The Vikings

I was raised a vikings fan but it really wasn't my team. I also was a huge favre hater but I said if he got them close I'd reconsider my position. I started to kind of be a Favre fan last year, but he can die in a fire now

Saints. They're a model franchise and Sean Payton won me over hard with that on-sides kick after half-time in the SB. Ballsy move and probably won them the game in the end.

I do not have a favorite second team, pats only. They are my team forever regardless of their standings, but i do admire good football whether it is professional or collegiate.

And since i am from RI i have seen my share of matt ryan and i became a fan of his at BC. Dude is a beast and if anybody seen the 2008 matchup Atlanta vs. Chicago would have became an instant fan as well.

But I am a true homer and always feel we have a chance. When Cassel played I thought okay maybe we have a vick on our hands lets do this(hoo rah). eff Farve for 08. Also, besides the Colts(06 afccg), I fear no team. The Jets are good whether people like to admit it or not and i kind of like rex's personality but they are irrelevant to me. I always have felt that we will take the division. Do i wish we had more breathing room, definitely but at least you wont hear people say we made it in the playoffs because of our easy division.

Why do you think that is, regarding the Redskins?
Outnumbered to the point it pisses you off (see Philly example)?
Arrogance and general douche-baggery by their fans?
The thought of rooting for a Dan Snyder team causes you to throw up in your mouth?
Would rather have been sent somewhere besides NoVa?
The Redskins are boring and suck?
Something else? All of the above?

I lived in DC from 1991-96 and I learned to hate the Redskins during that time. Hated their team, columnists, talk show guys, everyone. It's a hate that has lasted.

I lived in DC from 1991-96 and I learned to hate the Redskins during that time. Hated their team, columnists, talk show guys, everyone. It's a hate that has lasted.

Its always been the packers, but after Katrina and the way the teaam stood tall with the city I have also become a saints admirer.

of course a certain onside kick and a pick 6 in a superbowl also helps matters

Tough question, honestly. Probably the Browns, because I like the city of Cleveland and their loyal fans, and whatever the team Tracy Porter plays for :D

i have to admit i do not have a 2nd favourite team

till some years ago i had a simpathy for the Cincinnati Bengals but it disappeared...

i do not dislike some teams however like DET, BUF, still CIN, KC.

i like much more the AFC then NFC - i prefere always to see an AFC game then an NFC one

but at the end...: ONLY the New England Patriots !

Last edited:
ok, mmmm where are the saints ? I don't give a rats a** about the teams that are listed above.

sorry :snob:

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for all things Pittsburgh - mainly because I love the city having grown up there.
Having said that, the Steelers are a very distant #2 in my heart. I always want the Steelers to win 1 less game than the Pats (so we can get homefield advantage) and I want the Pats to put up 40 on them every time they play.

Being in Kentucky I'm surrounded by franchises, The Bengals are probably second :(. And My Dad is a huge bandwagoner but he is completely loyal to the Redskins so sometimes I root for them just so he has something to cheer about.

Saints for a great success story last year that was topped off by beating Manning (or did he beat himself?)

KC for looking awfully similar to the Pats several years ago. Hard not to root for them.

Falcons are also a good success story. After their franchise QB screwed them over and after being at the bottom of the league for a few years, they've been able to bounce back.

I have 2:

Chiefs - My brother supports them, so I always look out for them.

Lions - I have friends in Michigan, so they were the first team I really knew about. Always like to see them win, except this week ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back