PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2nd Chargers Timeout of the 2nd Half

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveydave

Rookie
Reaction score
Help me out folks. Was this another Marty Blunder or what?

After Ellis Hobbs went down and the Pats were forced to use a timeout for Hobbs, San Diego came right back on the field and had to call a their second time out of the 2nd half.

Getting the Pats timeout benefits the Chargers as much or more than the Pats. Why did San Diego need to call a timeout at that point? Of course, the big Timeout that everyone is talking about is the one on the interception & strip by Brown, but what about this one?

With two extra timeouts at the end of the game, would the Chargers have been able to have added some extra yardage and make that 54 yarder something more easily achievable?

Is this Marty at his best? Thoughts anyone?

daveydave

After Ellis Hobbs went down and the Pats were forced to use a timeout for Hobbs, San Diego came right back on the field and had to call a their second time out of the 2nd half.

Getting the Pats timeout benefits the Chargers as much or more than the Pats. Why did San Diego need to call a timeout at that point? Of course, the big Timeout that everyone is talking about is the one on the interception & strip by Brown, but what about this one?

With two extra timeouts at the end of the game, would the Chargers have been able to have added some extra yardage and make that 54 yarder something more easily achievable?

daveydave
I do not think the Pats took a timeout...if anything it was an injury timeout...official..I think Rivers was confused ot did not like the defense. there was some confusion and he called it..MORE on Ribers than Marty..

daveydave

It seems to me that what must have happened is that the Chargers were taking their time during the Hobbs timeout and using it as a free time out. I think the Patriots may have played possum there, keeping their defense unorganized even after the official had re-wound the play clock. It's only a 25 second play clock in that situation, and by the time the chargers offense got back out of the huddle, there was little time left.

Injury timeouts are treated differently depending on where in the game you are. Usually with an injury time out, the officials take an official timeout for television purposes. So you have a 1:30 or 2:00 time out. Even after the player gets to the sideline, they stay in time out until they come back from the commercial and the ref gets the signal that the network is back, so he can wind the clock. Under 5:00 things change. They usually stay with the game at that point and don't take the full injury time out, so once Hobbs got to the sideline and was replaced, Corentte wound the clock. The Chargers probably were caught unaware, expecting the full television time out and so didn't get back on the field in time.

Just one of those little things that can trip you up I guess. I can see anyone taking the longer injury timeout for granted.

One can only give thanks to the powers that it was Marty on the other side of the field.

4th and 11....Wow.

He said afterwards that he called it because they had a play that he thought could get him the yds. If he has a play that can get him 11 yds, he wouldn;t have been 4th and 11 in the first place. What a Maroon!

He said afterwards that he called it because they had a play that he thought could get him the yds. If he has a play that can get him 11 yds, he wouldn;t have been 4th and 11 in the first place. What a Maroon!

Challenging the clear strip/fumble recovery was an error as well. Usually you have guys up in the booth to quickly look at the replays to advise

Marty made the choice going into the game NOT to wear a headset to make clear that he was delegating authority. That lack of communication with the booth might have played a role in his decision to challenge what was clearly a momentum changing play.

Regardless of the two non-interception calls earlier, that one had no chance of being reversed.

That created a situation where the play stands and they lose a time out which, at the end of the game could have easilly helped them get another 10 yards for a FG to tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes