Welcome to PatsFans.com

290,000 jobs added in April, most in 4 years

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by apple strudel, May 7, 2010.

1. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hopefully this becomes a trend. The downside is that unemployment jumped to 9.9%. This article makes it sound like this is due to the number of people re-entering the "looking for work" category, but I'm not sure if that's true.

66,000 of this number is temporary census worker jobs. The rest is private industry jobs.

Jobs up 290,000; jobless rate rises to 9.9 pct. - Boston.com
  2. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That's great news but...
    The jobless rate actually goes up!?!?:confused:
    I guess people are losing them faster than they can be created.
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Some things are so predicable.

On the way into work this morning I was listening to NPR and in the economic news the lead was that the unemployment rate had gone from 9.7% to 9.9% which was unexpected. It had been predicted to stay level. They did follow with your news that 290,000 new jobs were created, however. I thought of this forum right away and guessed that either someone leaning right would broadcast the bad unemployment news or someone leaning left would broadcast the good job creation news.

...and of course strudel, your one way good news headline has already been countered by the one way bad news headline.
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ha ha - you're such a tool. The OP is all facts, and the jump in the unemployment rate is addressed (though probably not in sufficient detail, not that anybody knows all that detail) in the OP. When I was posting this thread, I was thinking to myself that I shouldn't draw any conclusions from the straight facts posted and let it play as is. The headline essentially comes from the boston.com headline, with the added bit about highest in 4 years.

But good job politicizing the thread! Talk about the lady protesting too much! Ha ha! What a tool!
  5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

It's very simple. More previously "discouraged" workers re-entered the job market to restart job searches, which is good news actually. That means the "discouraged" are putting on ties and getting ready for interviews.

The real unemployment rate is around 16-18%. The one that gets the top headline is the 9.9% that are actively looking.

It is what it is.

I do need to disagree with Apple Strudel, however, on this statement: "66,000 of this number is temporary census worker jobs. The rest is private industry jobs". There ARE jobs that are Gov't jobs that do not have anything to do with the census, so one cannot extrapolate that 224,000 jobs were created in the private sector last month.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +348 / 1 / -9

Nothing has changed since the Bush Days, the Wars are still going, Civilians and Troops are still dying, Gitmo is still open, the economy is getting worse, they conduct their sneaky Obamacare talks behind closed doors so the people won't know how they are being screwed and Bush's Criminal Illegal Aliens ARE STILL RUNNING RAMPANT in our border states.

EVERYTHING BUSH DID OBAMA CONTINUES TO DO THE ONLY CHANGE IS "THINGS ARE GETTING WORSE"

AMERICA IN YOUR RACIST RUSH TO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS YOU HAVE PUT A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND NOW HE IS IN THE PROCESS OF "STICKING IT TO YOU"

OBAMA IS NO LIBERAL (go get em barry)
  7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That's just from the article - 231,000 jobs were added by private employers. I'm sure it's possible that some of those jobs were created as a result of government money, but I have no way of knowing based on the article. Feel free to dig it up and add it to the thread.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +189 / 7 / -23

This oil spill in the Gulf will have an interesting, probably negative effect on the economy.. and unemployment will increase.

Or maybe we can just change the way we count the unemployed as Ronnie Raygun did..
  9. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why aren't we below 8% unemployment yet? Where did those 3 million jobs go since the stimulus?

Great news that our economy is on the road to recovery -- the bill of goods we were sold on the "stimulus" package continues to ring false.
  10. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's what I gleaned from a Heritage Foundation blog -- government actually seems to have lost 7,000 "full time" jobs:

"The private non-farm sector added 231,000 jobs, while the government added 59,000 jobs — full-time government positions declined but were offset by the hiring of 66,000 temporary census workers. Hours of work climbed, but are still well below the pre-recession levels. Wage increases and a slight slowdown in productivity growth auger well for continued growth in future reports.

This is a good report, and hopefully future reports will be even better. If the next few reports are as strong, then there will no longer be any fear of a double-dip recession, and the unemployment rate will slowly begin to fall."
  11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

If past history is any indicator,(2000 census )
    http://www.bls.gov/ces/cescensusworkers.pdf
    the census should add another 350,000 workers next month. There are currently 154,000 temporary employees (go to the last line in the link).
    Unfortunately those jobs will disappear in the next three months and any likely drop in unemployment from the census will be lost soon after.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

It's just personal experience but it might be interesting in a "I wonder why that is," sort of way.

I moved here approximately 6 years ago when the economy was supposedly booming. It took me over 6 months to find a job - in spite of the fact that I responded to probably hundreds of ads. Off hand, I'd say that for every 10 -15 resumes I sent out I heard back from maybe 1 or 2 employers.

Here is it, 6 years later and huge job losses being reported everywhere. I quit my job in January and began looking (halfheartedly, but don't tell MrPFnV) 2 weeks ago. Last week I answered 3 ads - and got 3 almost immediate calls. This week I answered 4 ads and I've heard back from all four - all positively - and have 3 interviews scheduled for next week.

Any explanations? I have none. Same field, same kind of experience, same sort of money being expected. Even adding the last 5 years as "new" experience, it changes nothing other than I've got 25 years in the field rather than 20. Shouldn't make that big of a difference in an employer's eye.

Just seems strange. And it makes me feel a bit guilty.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well it's just coincidence then and It was just luck guessing that the guy who's admitted life work is to destroy republicans would post that headline that avoids anything that could be considered negative for the Obama economy........and then defend himself with what he tought to himself. Honestly, I didn't know who would post first, a lefty with the good news or a righty with the bad news, but you were definately on the list of lefties that I figured on.

Stop playing innocent strudel, you're not fooling anyone. I'm not saying it was wrong to post the good news but you didn't bother to comment on it which to me is telling. You could have just as easily posted this headline:
    US Jobs Up 290,000, but Jobless Rate Rises to 9.9 %
    News Headlines

......which is by the way the way most news sources are reporting it. If a righty had been first with his/her agenda then I would have psoted the same observation.
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just FYI I am not an Obama fan - in my view he has proven to be essentially as much a Republican as Reagan was. My play here is not to defend the big O, but to relay some good news for everybody and maybe get some conversation about the usefulness or lack thereof of the way we keep these statistics. That's it.

Ha ha, I didn't comment on it because I wanted to post simple facts. Ha ha, but thank you for playing the partisan! Protest too much indeed! Epic.

Hurf durf. I didn't read the CNBC article, I read the boston.com article. In the first paragraph the "most in 4 years" bit stuck out so I added that. You're inventing a reality for yourself, buck-o.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Ha!! I've decided. It's not so much Right vs Left or Democrat vs Republican or Conservative vs Liberal. It's not even Coke vs Pepsi.

It's Optimist vs Pessimist. Winnie the Pooh vs Eeyore.
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Whatever strudel. Forgive me for thinking that you of all people would ever be agenda driven. :rolleyes:

Incidently, in both of my posts I went out of my way to make sure that both left and right were treated equally. On the other hand I am somewhat conservative and have no problem admitting it. It's amusing to me though, that you're now playing the neutral non-partisan with your history here. But maybe you're right. It's all in my mind:singing:
  17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What agenda would that be if I'm not pro-Obama? Oh right, none.

Ha ha, suspicion over evidence. This kind of rigor is inspiring! BTW, you'll find my politics all over plenty of other recent posts, but you've jumped to some seriously lame conclusions in this one. Tip: if there were politics involved, I'd have said something along the lines of "providing more evidence of the success of the stimulus plan" or some such.

Impressive fail.
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Do you have a link for that?
  19. shmessy

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Once again, the increase to 9.9% unemployment figure in the context of a net gain of 290,000 jobs is NOT as you put it "bad news".

It was spelled out for you earlier in this thread. If you willingly choose to ignore it, then you are simply being dishonest.

Long-term unemployeds getting off the sofa, putting away the Prozac bottle, putting on a tie and sending out resumes for the first time in over a year is a GOOD thing. THAT is what we are seeing when net jobs gain while unemployment gains also - - the discouraged workers who weren't being counted before are now getting back into the game.

As I mentioned before, REAL unemployment (counting everyone, including the discourageds and under-employeds) is estimated between 16-18%.

That is objective, not subjective.

Furthermore, there is a very good possibility that the next few months will see more of the same, with the counted unemployment rate going back over 10% while the nation creates more jobs on a net basis.......and as more and more "discourageds" become "encouraged" unemployeds, I'm sure there will be plenty of posters here blaring about how the unemployment rate has risen.
  20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You've heard it here everyone, the guy who's goal in life is to destroy republicans because they've never done anything good has now moved his politics to all over the place. Somehow I think climbing on board with republicans is not one of those places. See you've built a reputation as far as I'm concerned, and though I might have been wrong you shouldn't be a bit suprised that someone might read between the lines when you post something without comments.

But I guess I'll take what you say at face value. If you've turned a new leaf then great, it will be refreshing to see the new, just looking for a pleasant conversation, strudel