Welcome to PatsFans.com

29 students to face discipline after fight in Lynn that was posted on Youtube

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Feb 27, 2012.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

29 students to face discipline after fight in Lynn that was posted on Youtube - Metro Desk - Local news updates from The Boston Globe

They are talking about suspending all of the students (tonights news).
    I can understand suspending the girls in the fight and even the person
    who posted the fight on youtube (if they knew who posted it).

I do not understand suspending students for watching the fight.

This was not the Murder of Kitty Genovese......
    Murder of Kitty Genovese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as I know the students were under no legal obligation to break
    up the fight.

Who didn't watch a fight in middle school or high school?

The fact that a suspension will be on their record, just does not seem
    right.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Absolutely they should all be suspended to varying degrees. There's no place in a civilized society for that type of behavior and young kids especially need to be taught that.
  3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

What type of behavior?

If they instigated, the fight... fine... suspend them.
    If they were just standing there watching..... How can you suspend
    them?

You never watched a fight when you were in school?
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Comparing this to Kitty Genovese is just more hysteria, and once again epic fail...

This is a maturity thing, if you see something wrong and do not do something about it.. then you are culpible. Cheering on a fight on school property is very poor form..

In some circles it is known as conspiracy, in others it is simply what is expected as part of a crowd and egging folks on is complicit behavior.

Perhaps the concern about something being on your "permanent record", is not a very big deal any more..
  5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Of course I did ... but that does not make it right.
    I was a punk growing up - I needed way more slaps upside the head than I ever received.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Seems like overkill to me.

If you're going to start suspending kids for watching a fight and not breaking it up you're going to have to start arresting adults for standing around gawking at the scene of an accident, fire or other tragedy.

You would not believe the crowds that gather and how often they get in the way and hamper the firefighters, cops and medics trying to do their job.

It's human nature to watch action of any sort.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

Why suspend kids for watching A FIGHT:
    Society puts two Morons in a ring, then they charge thousands of other Morons $50 a ticket to come and watch the two Morons beat each other senseless while millions of other Morons eat popcorn and drink beer while they watch it on their TV's.

How much money did the Rocky Balboa Movies make (should we pinish those who watched the movie)

THE BOXING MORONS CALL THE WINNING MORON "CHAMPION OF THE WORLD"

NOW THEY WANT TO SUSPEND THESE KIDS FOR WATCHING A STREET FIGHT.

DEAR ISLAM
    PLEASE COME AND SAVE US (while i'm at it save us from those millionaire perverts in hollywood, why didn't The OWS Nuts picket the stupid Oscars)
    GOD WILLING
  8. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

That about sums up my POV too Mrs.

If we start punishing bystanders for.....by-standing then where does it stop?

Having said that to Darryl's point there may have been some level of "egging" on, but we already having laws pertaining to that. In my 4 years at UMass Amherst the local sports teams won 3 Super Bowls and a World Series. After each event there were people celebrating. These celebrations almost always turned rowdy, the state cops would show up in Riot gear and then the situation would deteriorate.

People caught "egging on" would be charged with inciting a riot.
  9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

The problem as I see it is the nature of the internet. The way we used to see things and the reality of them now has changed. Schools have a big problem now in that one video on the internet can make you locally famous. Something however desperate needs to be done to keep this type of behavior to a minimum IMO.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

That's the thing, Icy. The nature of people hasn't changed at all - it's just simply televised now which makes it appear to be much more prevalent than it was before - but it's not. It's always happened. It just stayed local is all.

How do you change the behaviour of civilization? People have been fighting one another since time began - and they've always had an audience. Human nature demands that we continuely prove ourselves stronger, braver, better. Remember a decade or so ago when the popular bumper stickers all read: "My kid beat up your honor student?" How on earth do we expect our children not to fight (or watch a fight) when we, as parents, brag about it when they do?

I seldom, if ever, agree with Harry - but he's right on the money with his observation about boxing. We pay huge sums of money to watch someone else take out our aggressions. Boxing, wrestling, martial arts, kick boxing, hockey, football - they are all sports which pay homage to aggressive behaviour.

Kids fight. Other kids watch them do it. My 2 year old took a poke at his 5 day old brother. My 11 year old watched and laughed. Hell, once I grabbed the two year old and checked out the newborn, I laughed, too.

I don't know if you have children, Icy, or if they are boys or girls if you do have them....but I'd be interested to know what you tell them (at least your sons, anyhow) about what to do if someone threatens them or physically attacks them. Do you tell them to walk away and turn the other cheek or do you tell them to stand up for themselves?

I've tried to teach my kids not to start fights - and I've even gone so far as to try to teach them to go to the rescue of anyone who's getting the sh!t kicked out of them, even if it means getting physical themselves, but I've also tried to teach them that if someone is trying to hurt them, and they cannot talk their way out of it, that it's ok to hit back.

I'd rather bail them out of jail for fighting than bury them because they decided to play the pacifist.

Fortunately for me, two of them are excellent talkers who could probably calm Bin Laden and the third is tough enough to take him on.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Last week a girl died 4 hours after a fight in a local school.. anecdotal evidence at best.

But with the advent of social media, you put yourself out there.. you are out there for the picking.
  12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Scary stuff ... saw that story ... very sad story. Apparently it was a normal, if there is such a thing fight ... something went wrong and parents lose a daughter.
  13. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

That is terrible about that poor girl.

Are any of the bystanders up on charges?
  14. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You seem obsessed with fights. Especially fights involving inner city youth of dark skin. Why?
  15. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

You ask a civil question, you will get a civil answer.

29 students to face discipline after fight in Lynn
    I did not see the racial breakdown, but I am on record saying that
    27 of the 29 should not face discipline.

Consider the large number, it was probably a diverse crowd.

I am not selling them down the river, I am defending their actions.
    Sounds like some of the people in this forum, were the boy in the
    plastic bubble.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

IMO the issue is social media, once you put it out there then there is a different level of culpibility.. to cheer kids on in an activity that is dangerous is flat wrong.

You do not have to do anything extreme, just help them realize that they have responsibility in this and every matter they are involved in.. it would have been heroic, if a couple of kids broke up the fight and helped restore the peace.
  17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Kids in school have no comparable rights to adults in society. If its the principal's best professional judgement that suspending all 29 of them would help with maintaining discipline and minimizing future fights then he/she should be free to do so.
  18. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

When your name is THOMAS STRANGIE is it any suprise that he would
    make such a strange decision.
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

They all need to be suspended. You shouldn't sit there and cheer on a fight, or watch like it's Haggler Hearns.
  20. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

So what should the bystanders have done? And what will that lesson teach them as they approach adulthood?