Welcome to PatsFans.com

$27,000 A Person

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turk, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

This is alarming:

Crumbling Under Debt
    By John F. Ince, AlterNet
    Posted on April 8, 2006, Printed on April 8, 2006
    Last month, for the third time during the presidency of George W. Bush, the U.S. Congress raised America's debt ceiling. By bumping up our own credit limit, the country's leaders allowed us to technically avoid defaulting on our loans, but the move raises disturbing questions about the resolve of our leaders to ever put the country on a sustainable borrowing path.

Economists and businesspeople have been warning for some time that sooner or later, America's binge of borrowing must come to an end, or we will all suffer drastic consequences. Despite widespread concern about America's increasing debt load, the issue lacks the sort of "sex appeal" that the media needs to go at the issue more aggressively. And without media attention, politicians feel little pressure to deal with the issue in a substantive way....

Here is the whole article:

http://www.alternet.org/story/34529/
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Just think, though, every illegal alien we make a citizen reduces the % amount for each of us :)

We all know we need to slow spending and that goes for both parties.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Spending is a big part of it, but they need to know what they are spending and need to control the fraud that has plagued whatever our government does either in NOLA or in Bagdad...
  4. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Though I agree that the responsibility falls on all our shoulders (both parties), I also see that the current administration has taken this irresponsible approach towards the national debt to new and alarming levels (as opposed to a surplus) as pointed out in the article:

"Most pointedly, there has been a fundamental shift in political attitudes towards debt, leading towards fiscal irresponsibility by our leaders in Washington. Since taking office, the Bush administration has added $2.5 trillion to the national debt, from $5.662 trillion when Bush took office in January 2001 up to $8.170 trillion on New Year's Day 2006. This represents an astounding increase of 44 percent during a period when prior projections suggested a $4 billion surplus. Despite this alarming increase in the debt during Bush's presidency, no one in a position of power has seriously proposed any measures that would address the root causes of the problem.

Simply put, Americans have become mired in a culture of debt. We buy things we don't make and don't need with money borrowed from abroad..."
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  5. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Don't lump us all together. I know that's inaccurate for me.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

:confused:

I said both parties. Of which Bush is in one.
  8. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm surprised you know what a talking point is. . .
  9. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I did not write it BF, John Ince is the author and there are always exceptions as you may be to this one but that does not change the point that Mr. Ince is eloquently making about what we have become as a society.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Well he needs to be more careful about talking about what "we" have become when "we" haven't all become that.