Welcome to PatsFans.com

269 tie: An electoral college 'doomsday'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

This is a scenario that I've been thinking about for a couple of months now. Yikes! It would certainly make for great theatre! [​IMG]

269 tie: An electoral college 'doomsday'?

Scholars speculate on scenario

Joseph Curl (Contact)
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008

On Nov. 5, the presidential election winds up in a electoral-college tie, 269-269, the Democrat-controlled House picks Sen. Barack Obama as president, but the Senate, with former Democrat Joe Lieberman voting with Republicans, deadlocks at 50-50, so Vice President Dick Cheney steps in to break the tie to make Republican Sarah Palin his successor.

"Wow," said longtime presidential historian Stephen Hess. "Wow, that would be amazing, wouldn't it?"

"If this scenario ever happened, it would be like a scene from the movie 'Scream' for Democrats," said Democratic strategist Mary Anne Marsh. "The only thing worse for the Democrats than losing the White House, again, when it had the best chance to win in a generation, but to do so at the hands of Cheney and Lieberman. That would be cruel."

Washington Times - 269 tie: An electoral college 'doomsday'?

2. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

well heres a good poll question. would you rather have Obama and Palin. Or McCain and Biden?

the power is in the Presidency so if you are a Dem you'd hold your nose and take Palin as VP to get Obama in and the same for Repubs, they'd do well to deal with Biden to get McCain in there.

love politics.

3. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'd be willing to bet that with some kind of handshake deal with Dem leadership that in return for keeping his status in the Senate Lieberman would vote in Biden over Palin. He's a McCain guy, not a Palin guy. Plus I think there would be other Senators that would recognize that a combo of Obama and Palin is too inexperienced to be Prez/VP, and that voting in Palin would essentially get her a nice house in DC, an office, and zero say in policy decisions.

4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Relax, everybody, it ain't gonna play out this way. I've got ten smagolies that says McCain beats Obam-uh-h by at least 20 electoral votes.

:eek: Yup.

//

5. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Can't the President fire his Vice President? If not then Congress can impeach the Vice President, and by January 2009 the Democrats will have a clear majority in the Senate.

6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +230 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

I was under the impression that if it is tied, it goes to the House for a vote and each state gets 1 vote so Wyoming is as important as California. The one who gets the majority of states is elected President. It hasn't happened since 1876 IIRC.

Edit- my bad. I didn't fully read the article. Holds true but not likely.....More likely is an electoral college member changes his vote as has happened several times in recent history
    ( 1968 or 1980 ??). What happens then????? 270-168. Is he bound. That will get fasttracked to the Supreme Court...

http://www.fairvote.org/e_college/faithless.htm

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Start calling your lawyers ASAP. You can bet your arse that both campaigns did so a long time ago. :banned: