25 missed tackles on Sunday vs Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots roll up 25 missed tackles vs. Bills

How bad was it? They missed 25 total tackles and allowed 159 yards after contact.

In reviewing every Bills offensive play from Sunday's 37-31 Patriots win, the missed tackles and poor fundamentals showed up at every level of the defense.

Defensive end Rob Ninkovich and safety Devin McCourty led the way with four missed tackles apiece.

Corner Alfonzo Dennard and safety Steve Gregory had three each.

Linebackers Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower and Jerod Mayo had two each. Defensive lineman Vince Wilfork had two. And nickel corner Marquice Cole and defensive tackle Jermaine Cunningham had one each.

The total doesn't surprise me, because it was clearly bad. Also doesn't surprise me that the primary culprits were in the secondary.

How about Spikes? Generally speaking, he brings his man down (and the poor fellow usually is painfully aware of it :) )

MxubS.gif

You'll have to be more specific ... 25 missed tackles on which play?

Anomoly. The Patriots were one of the best tackling teams in the NFL through 8 games. Bad day plus Spiller and Jackson.

It has a lot to do with the subpar performance than the talent. We were clearly not getting up for the Bills.

Will be very interesting to gauge the temperature of this team when Houston and SF come to town.

I'm also very interested in seeing how Talib's presence will change the scheme of the front 7. My expectation (and hope) is that they put Talib in man and this allows for schemes with more gamble (e.g. mulitple blitzes).

I think it was a fluke. They are usually very good at wrapping up the runner...not last sunday. Should change on sunday

The defense must of had a few too many of these before the game.....

bf-detail.jpg

I agree it was probably an anomaly, the defense has a lot of faults but tackling is usually not one of them.

I agree it was probably an anomaly, the defense has a lot of faults but tackling is usually not one of them.

Couldn't agree more. Tackling + many of the other basic fundamentals are usually not a problem on a Bill Belichick coached team.

I hope that he gave them a serious earful when breaking down the film this week, and I would imagine that some of those problems will not be repeated this upcoming game vs Indy.

That all said, I still think that the pass defense is horrible, and I wouldn't be surprised if Luck and the Colts scored at least 23 or so on Sunday.

I worry that we will become all too familiar with the likes of such no-names as Donnie Avery and Ty Hilton come Sunday. Hopefully they can force a couple of turnovers and apply a little pressure to Luck, and the offense will do their usual good job of hanging 30 or so. The last sentence is about the only chance that we are going to have any kind of deeper playoff run, at least in my opinion anyway.

Ah, the joy of unofficial stats. Bedard credits the defense with 15 missed tackles, which he calls a season high. And this is in an article where he says this game was the worst defensive performance in the past season and a half, so it's not like he's sugarcoating anything. I'm calling BS on Curran's 25. The correct answer is probably somewhere in the middle, and I'm leaning toward Bedard's end. Ten is still a ton of missed tackles. [Fifteen is more.]

[Edited to reflect initial number of 10 changing to 15]

Last edited:
10 seems low, I saw multiple plays where at least 2 players both missed tackles.

I think you have to attribute a big part of that to the speed and elusiveness of guys like CJ Spiller. Give credit where credit is due, that guy made some plays for them.

lolsaints.gif

I say sign these two DBs immediately,perfect fits for this secondary!:rocker:

Ah, the joy of unofficial stats. Bedard credits the defense with 10 missed tackles, which he calls a season high. And this is in an article where he says this game was the worst defensive performance in the past season and a half, so it's not like he's sugarcoating anything. I'm calling BS on Curran's 25. The correct answer is probably somewhere in the middle, and I'm leaning toward Bedard's end. Ten is still a ton of missed tackles.

And of those 10, he actually credited Gregory with more (4) than Curran (3).

And all 10, for those wondering:
Gregory: 4
McCourty: 2
Dennard: 2
Mayo: 2

I know that some may not agree with me, but I don't find it coincidental that the return of Gregory and Arrington led to a poor result again in terms of the defense. I just don't want those 2 on the field very much, at least not together anyway.

I was never too high on the Gregory signing. I'd much rather see McCourty paired with Wilson (he can't do any worse than Gregory and he'd be getting precious reps), with maybe Chung in the "McGowan" type role at times vs the TE, trying to prevent the middle attacks that have become so predictable in the past couple/few yrs.

Bedard just tweeted that he meant 15 tackles on 10 plays. That makes more sense. Still not nearly as bad as Curran, not that Curran being negative is anything new.

15 or 25, either one is unacceptable... pretty certain that BB has spend considerable time discussing this with this team.

Thought the whole D seemed out of sync last week.....

But most importantly did Tom Curran get more twitter followers or facebook likes???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes