PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

235lb RB, 4.39 40, 6.51 3 Cone, 41" Vertical - 5th Rd???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWesleyan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
What do you all know about Jackie Battle? Can he block? Catch? Run the ball? His numbers are NUTS!

University of Houston's Big back JACKIE BATTLE has caused a buzz after his stellar Pro Day evaluation (March 23rd). Battle, who came in at 6'2", 238 lbs, ran 4.41 / 4.38 in the 40 (low watch of 4.35), had a 41" vertical, 10'11" standing broad jump, 4.11 short shuttle, 6.51 3-cone drill and did 19 reps of 225 lbs on the bench.

Scouts were shocked after the 40 times as they expected Battle to clock in the mid 4.7's. You can watch Jackie's domination right here!

Wow that's a big back! But what did he do in college? Another workout warrior, Arizona RB Chris Henry, didn't do much in college.

Wow that's a big back! But what did he do in college? Another workout warrior, Arizona RB Chris Henry, didn't do much in college.

He actually had a lot more production than Chris Henry. He's listed as a FB on NFLDraftCountdown.

Here's there profile:

Strengths:
Terrific size and bulk...Timed speed is fantastic...Strong and powerful runner...Is tough to bring down and will break tackles...Has excellent balance...Pretty good vision and instincts...Versatile and can play multiple positions...Quite productive.

Weaknesses:
Runs too tall...Limited in the passing game with little experience...Work ethic and conditioning are issues...Not a dominating blocker...Played in an offense that may have padded his stats...May not have a true pro position...Durability is a concern.

Notes:
Classic running back / fullback 'tweener...Redshirted in 2002 due to a knee injury and then missed quite a few games in 2004 with a finger ailment...He's a workout warrior who tested extremely well...The big question is where does he fit at the next level...Needs to be in the right situation but definitely has the physical tools.

Here's the video of his Pro Day workout

Here's his NFL.com (Sports XChange) profile.

Here are the results of his Pro Day, as listed on NFL.com

Last edited:

Battle did some good things in college unlike Henry

last year he was part of the 10-4 Cougars and had 943 yards. 15 TDs with a 5.1 ypc avg

he didnt get a ton of carries so hes fresh

he played well against some quality teams

Miami: 4.8 ypc
Oklohoma State: 4.7 ypc
S. Car: 7.7 ypc

His three cone, short shuttle, and 40 time are all better than the times listed for: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Brian Leonard, and Tony Hunt (among others) He also put up 19 reps at 225.
Here's his highlight video
Here is video of a long run
Short yardage run

Last edited:
His three cone, short shuttle, and 40 time are all better than the times listed for: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Brian Leonard, and Tony Hunt (among others) He also put up 19 reps at 225.
Short yardage run

im hoping we take a shot at him or Henry..big guys with speed. Even though he put up better #s on agility and speed drills..hes nothing compared to AD and Lynch on the field in terms of quickness/speed but hes a good player imo...powerful runner..breaks tackles..a tough kid .. doesnt have breakaway speed or agility to break peoples ankles but hes got vision and toughness

Short yardage run
Vonderful, vonderful, vonderful, yet vhen I vatch his game in da Hula Bowl he doesn't sell me as da Patriots' overachiever type. Ve'll see in another veek.

What's your guess on the round? I'm guessing mid forth. Does that sound about right?

What's your guess on the round? I'm guessing mid forth. Does that sound about right?
I've been trying to mock the draft out in order to post a forecast for ayjackson, what is happening in my mock is runs on different positions as teams realize the next available players are it before a significant drop off. I find it happening with Safeties which are considered deep, and OT which I thought were pretty decent. Even TE is getting pressure and they almost all run like OL. Maybe it's just my warped imagination. I think Battle is a limited role player, but the demand for RB may cause a run and pull him into Day one.

I would have said 5th, we'll see soon.

The guy can really move and he has quick feet which is vital for a big man trying to be a RB in the pros. I don't know how he'll look with pads on though. Lots of guys can look good in shorts. But I must say the triangle numbers are highly impressive.

As the late, great Joel Buchbaum would say...looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane...

As the late, great Joel Buchbaum would say...looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane...
That would make sense for some players, but Jackie Battle doesn't play like Jane. The guy had a bunch of TD's during his college career, and is a great short yardage runner. Plus, he shows the ability to also be a good all around RB, with some of his long runs and catching ability. He split time with another RB so he didn't have unreal yardage totals but they were still good, and he averaged 4.8 yards per carry over his career. He had 943 yards (5.1 per) with 15 TD's his senior season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey