Welcome to PatsFans.com

$21 Million contract for Homeland Security LIMO"S, Watergate Pro scandal..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 9, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

When I first read this I was aghast that Homeland Security would have the gonads to award a 21 million dollar contract for Limo Services...but then a little deeper info reveals that this may all be connected to the Poker Party/Prostitution scandal that allegedly took place in the Watergate Complex... There is an a letter sent to the Homeland Security Inspector attached to the Raw Story article...it is claimed that our country is going into debt $20000 every second, we are creating a great legacy for our descendents who will pay the bills..

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Congressmen_seek_inquiry_into_limousine_company_0508.html

'Not interested' in prostitution, but how contract was awarded

The ranking Democrat on the House Homeland Security Committee and the ranking Democratic member on the House Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness have called on the Homeland Security Inspector General to conduct an inquiry into the Department's arrangement with a limousine company that was used to ferry members of Congress and other officials to the Watergate Hotel, where poker parties and prostitutes were allegedly made available, RAW STORY has learned.

While the congressmen say they are "not interested" in accusations the company was complicit in prostitution deals, the last line of their letter requests "the dates, times of use, and the names of the officials" who made use of the vehicles.

The letter to Homeland Security Inspector Richard Skinner, from Congressmen Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS), Ranking Member of the Committee on Homeland Security, and Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ), follows
  2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

BUMP. I need to drink some more coffee, I must be having some bad dream.
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Fox News is now reporting it also, so has to be correct, apparently the owner has a rap sheet that runs 62 pages long, there has got to be more to this story than meets the eye...never mind why this type of contract is awarded, 21 million is a lot of cash for transport to and from their cars.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194886,00.html

Shirlington Limousine and Transportation Inc. of Arlington, Va., holds a $21.2 million contract with DHS, even though its owner, Christopher D. Baker, has a rap sheet in Washington, D.C., that runs 62 pages long. Among the convictions on Baker's record are attempted petty larceny, attempted robbery, possession of drug paraphernalia and receiving stolen property. These convictions all came in an 11-year period between 1979 and 1989. The head of one government watchdog group calls the record troublesome.

"It boggles the mind that anyone who has this kind of rap sheet could ever get a dime from the Department of Homeland Security," said Keith Ashdown, president of Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Shirlington Limousine operates out of two nondescript locations, a townhouse in Northern Virginia and a unit in a condominium complex in Washington, D.C. The DHS contract calls for 12 minibuses and 16 drivers to handle local travel and 10 additional drivers to chauffeur department executive staffers in Homeland Security-owned sedans.
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I am very confused. First, why have I not seen or heard this in the media? Secondly, why hasn't anyone in this political forum commented on this?

Just so I'm clear on this, Homeland Security paid $21 million to a convicted criminal for limo service? These transactions kind of stunt the Bush supporters statements of no terrorist attacks since 9/11. Clearly, its not due to Bush's diligence.
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

I do not understand why either, maybe the right side has gotten desensitized to scandal in the Republican Party, and perhaps what is going on is acceptable. Kinda hard to come back with a knee jerk Bill Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid or Jane Fonda Kerry to this one.

Why do they need LIMO's anyways....
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Remember the president of the United Way was run out of town for his exhorborant perks, one being limo services. Now what is more tragic, taking funds to protect our country against terrorism for perks and ...... or the United Way scandal? As you mentioned, $21 million for limo service? I'm thinking for a million I could get stretch limos and high-end hookers and still have plenty of pocket change. Which brings me back to my original response. Why isn't anyone outraged by this accusation?
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

This isn't going away folks, more I read the more preposterous it is...

http://harpers.org/sb-red-lights-followup-21987.html

More details on Shirlington Limousine
    Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2006. By Ken Silverstein.
    SourcesA few days ago I wondered aloud exactly how Shirlington Limousine of Arlington, Virginia, owned by Christopher Baker—a man with a lengthy history of illegal activity—got millions of dollars in federal contracts with the Department of Homeland Security and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and if those contracts had anything to do with Shirlington’s relationship with defense contractor and accused Duke Cunningham-briber Brent Wilkes. The latter, readers might recall, allegedly used Baker's limo service to transport congressmen, CIA officials, and perhaps prostitutes to his Washington parties.

Most companies owned by a man with a 62-page rap sheet aren't nearly so lucky in winning taxpayer dollars