PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

And Myles Garrett showing why he's probably going first, or at least first non-qb drafted this summer.

We have had a lot of incredible guys play for the Pats over the years. Never anything like that guy.

I think I love his approach more than anything. He isn't some emotional nut, he just goes out and handles his business. No extra celebrating, but does things hardly any human on earth is capable of.

He's supposed to be 270 right now, but looks light out there. I am going to bet he ends up playing around 290 in a few years. His base is already so strong and wide, he's just beginning to develop. He's also going to be one of the youngest kids in the draft, with a late December birthday. He's still only 20.

Basically, he's the dream prospect. Perfect physique. High character. High need position. Incredible production. No injuries. Still not at his ceiling.

The only thing I am not sure about his arm length. Which could become a problem, but that's the extent of the potential issues right now.

I have mentioned donnel pumphrey before, but here is a vid of his first game this year.

His last run looks verrrry similar to a certain running back on PUP right now. His cut back step has no pause in acceleration. Plant and gone.

I have mentioned donnel pumphrey before, but here is a vid of his first game this year.

His last run looks verrrry similar to a certain running back on PUP right now. His cut back step has no pause in acceleration. Plant and gone.

He should add 15lbs. How is his pass pro?

And Myles Garrett showing why he's probably going first, or at least first non-qb drafted this summer.

We have had a lot of incredible guys play for the Pats over the years. Never anything like that guy.

I think I love his approach more than anything. He isn't some emotional nut, he just goes out and handles his business. No extra celebrating, but does things hardly any human on earth is capable of.

He's supposed to be 270 right now, but looks light out there. I am going to bet he ends up playing around 290 in a few years. His base is already so strong and wide, he's just beginning to develop. He's also going to be one of the youngest kids in the draft, with a late December birthday. He's still only 20.

Basically, he's the dream prospect. Perfect physique. High character. High need position. Incredible production. No injuries. Still not at his ceiling.

The only thing I am not sure about his arm length. Which could become a problem, but that's the extent of the potential issues right now.

How would you compare him to Clowney?

How would you compare him to Clowney?

Both freaky. But in different ways.

Clowney always looked like he was 30, with man strength and ridiculous speed and step. I mean, he ran 4.45 at 270, those guys shouldn't exist. Basically, the ideal outside/inside guy for the new NFL. He also always looked really muscled up, like he hit his physical peak at 18. He also just struggled with football nuances and could get tied up on blocks cause his hands were poor and couldn't get around easily or disengage.

Garrett has some of that ridiculous physicality to him, but loses some areas and wins others. First, I think he has a lot more that he can add to his body. He's a beast already, but there is plenty of room on his frame, so he isn't physically maxed. Second, he doesn't have the incredible first step of clowney, but he has much better hands, and incredible bend for a big guy. He won't run in the 4.4s, but I am going to bet he does much better on the agility skills.

Beyond the physical, he just seems to think the game more. Still lots of time to go, but he is very impressive to me.

Got to see Arkansas and Texas a&m play.

1.) ot skipper of Arkansas would be a mid round draft pick that makes lots of sense for us.
2.) Myles is good, but the guy on the other side was all over the field making plays. I think his name is hall.

Ps: Hubbard of Ohio state looks like a perfect future patriot.

Got to see Arkansas and Texas a&m play.

1.) ot skipper of Arkansas would be a mid round draft pick that makes lots of sense for us.
2.) Myles is good, but the guy on the other side was all over the field making plays. I think his name is hall.

Ps: Hubbard of Ohio state looks like a perfect future patriot.

Daeshon Hall. He's 6'5 #260, and seems pretty darn athletic in his own right. I could see him brought in as a long term replacement for Nink/Long, perhaps. Chances are he's available in the second, unless his testing is so good that teams hype him up to become a first rounder. Pretty good player.

Skipper seems a bit too stiff in the games I saw, but they were from last year. You're an O-line guy, so I will defer to you if Skipper seems better this year. Thanks for sharing the goods. :)

Not full game tape, but still a nice little video, since we were discussing these players:

Has to be just by chance. The odds are super long but someone has to be that guy i suppose.

I wonder sometimes if people really overthink the top prospects. McCaffrey is really talented. He's a fine player, and worth a first round pick to an organization that will utilize his skills.

I wonder sometimes if people really overthink the top prospects. McCaffrey is really talented. He's a fine player, and worth a first round pick to an organization that will utilize his skills.

I think you are right, I just don't know what that right way is yet.

I mean that with great respect to him as a player I just don't know where I would line him up that would allow him to be a dynamic playmaker, while also putting him in a position where his body can handle the beating.

I don't see him as an every down back given his size. I don't think 3rd down backs are worth a 1st. I don't think his hands are good enough to be split out in the slot (yet). I think if he is some combination of those three areas and a special team ace, he will be very valuable to a team. I just don't know if I am spending a Pick in the top half of the first round.

Really love the player, but I am interested to see how well he will test out physically. He's going to have to put on a show at the combine to draw me back in.

I wonder sometimes if people really overthink the top prospects. McCaffrey is really talented. He's a fine player, and worth a first round pick to the Patriots.

FTFY. ;)

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back