PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Draft Prospect Thread

That's because Reynolds IS a UDFA talent.

Talk me down from a last minute binky please.

Frankie Williams, CB, Purdue.

First things first, he's not very big at 5-9, 186lbs.

And whilst his athleticism is okay, it doesn't really compensate for his lack of size.

But, watch this, admittedly, highlight reel.

He plays CB and safety. Reminds me a little of Lamarcus Joyner in twrms of size and versatility and of Casey Hayward on tape. Not a bad combo for a potential UDFA.

Oh man, He's defiantly worth one of our late round fliers!

I think I'm starting to get one of my binkies back. I don't know if there's a definite need for Andrew billings but if he's there at the second round I say we run to the podium and take him. He reminds me of wilfork and I think we could really use him.

Another freakish athlete.

Brandin Bryant, DT, Florida Atlantic

6'2.5", 290 lbs

Bench - 38 reps (would have been first at the combine)
40 - 4.81
Shuttle - 4.24
3-cone - 7.16 (for comparisons sake, Aaron Donald had a 7.11 3-cone and 4.36 shuttle and was 5lb lighter).
Cant find any jumps info unfortunately.

I wouldn't object to a 6th round flyer in the hope that he might be a potential Easley replacement.

Just one thing to bear in mind, he has had two ACL's on the same knee in the past so it would be a gamble pick.

Check out the spin move at 1:27. Apparently he actually broke the lineman's arm with it. He might just be the quickest Defensive Tackle I've scouted (based upon that video), and that's after two acls.

I've finally found my late round binkies. Bryant and Frankie Williams it is.

^^^

28" vert
9'3" broad.

I saw someone compare Bryant to Nikita Whitlock, a binky of mine who's done pretty well for the Giants in a sub rusher role. That's a pretty good comp, Whitlock was pretty darn quick too. But whitlock was 5'10 and 250lbs, not 290.

For comparison.

Whitlock - 43 bench
4.82 forty
4.34 shuttle
6.91 3-cone
33" vert
9' broad.

Last edited:
He looks good. I'm double dipping early in my mock, but if it's going to be one early and one late, he could be a good candidate. He's definitely on my list now.

He looks good. I'm double dipping early in my mock, but if it's going to be one early and one late, he could be a good candidate. He's definitely on my list now.

He'd be a good fallback if they missed out on Sheldon Day (if they were interested in Day).

6'2.5", 290 lbs

40 - 4.81
Shuttle - 4.24
3-cone - 7.16 (for comparisons sake, Aaron Donald had a 7.11 3-cone and 4.36 shuttle and was 5lb lighter).

I wouldn't object to a 6th round flyer in the hope that he might be a potential Easley replacement.

Just one thing to bear in mind, he has had two ACL's on the same knee in the past so it would be a gamble pick.

Check out the spin move at 1:27. Apparently he actually broke the lineman's arm with it. He might just be the quickest Defensive Tackle I've scouted (based upon that video), and that's after two acls.

What a find! Man would he be a great replacement for Easley. In fact, I think I like him better, based on that video. Awesome work uncovering this gem. How is this kid projected to go undrafted? Medical? Could be potent as a pure passrusher in a rotation.

What a find! Man would he be a great replacement for Easley. In fact, I think I like him better, based on that video. Awesome work uncovering this gem. How is this kid projected to go undrafted? Medical? Could be potent as a pure passrusher in a rotation.

Fairly small school, although it should be noted that there were reps against Florida in that video, has had those two ACLs and wasn't actually that productive with only 5 sacks last year.

We have seen him though, his pro day was the same as Boehringer's and our scouts were present so at least the team will know about him.

PFF has their top 10 sleeper picks. Three guys I like are in the top 5:

1. Devin Lucien, WR, Arizona State

There are a number of receivers in this class who project as good NFL players, and that depth has pushed Lucien down draft boards, making him a potentially excellent value. He has strong hands, and plenty of experience adjusting to poorly-thrown passes at Arizona State, so he can make plays even when covered. He’s effective on the outside and on shorter routes, so look for Lucien to provide an effective option in the second or third tier of wide receiver prospects.

2. Bronson Kaufusi, DE, BYU

Whether rushing the passer or playing the run as a 3-4 defensive end for BYU, Kaufusi was one of the nation’s most productive players in 2015, ranking sixth among all interior defensive linemen at +47.1. He led the way with a pass-rush productivity of 13.2, while ranking fourth in run-stop percentage at 12.1. He works non-stop, picking up clean-up pressure more than any lineman in the nation and he looks like an interior pass-rush threat at the next level as he continues to learn how to use his long frame more effectively in the running game.

5. Kalan Reed, CB, Southern Miss

Few analysts are discussing Reed, but we like him a lot as a prospect who brings athleticism and scheme-diversity to the secondary. His +13.7 coverage grade ranked third among the cornerbacks in the class, as did his 14 passes defensed. He intercepted or defended over 20 percent of his targets on the year, and those ball skills put him in the second-round range on the latest PFF Draft Board. NFL teams may overlooked Reed since he’s “only” 5-foot-11, but he’s proficient in man or zone coverage and may end up as one of the steals of the draft.

10 sleeper prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

I haven't really looked at safeties this year but did some looking into Kevin Byard of Middle Tennessee State after seeing that we worked him out. He's interesting from a Patriots fit standpoint. Take the positives from his NFL.com scouting report:

STRENGTHS
Strong football IQ. Lines secondary up and is assignment-oriented. Disciplined in zone coverage reading and responding to the quarterback’s eyes. Scans through route developments like a quarterback. Good awareness as single-high safety and rarely panics when faced with route combinations meant to create mistakes and indecision. Plays with smooth backpedal and adequate footwork and looks to have. Always active. Former high school receiver with plus ball tracking and ball skills over the top. Holds school record with 19 career interceptions and has 19 passes defensed over the last two years. Effort never questioned and brings desired football character onto field and into locker room. Willing downhill charge against the run.

2016 NFL Draft Profile: Kevin Byard

And his athleticism. Jordan Richards is in brackets as a comparison:

5-11, 216 (5-11, 211)
40: 4.44 (4.65)
Bench: 22 (13)
VJ: 38 (32)
BJ: 9' (9.2)
3-cone: 6.73 (6.74)
ss: 4.15 (4.22)

As you can see, in the bolded, he's almost identical to Richards and is better in the other measures.

He can be a ballhawking centre fielder and that might be a position of need next year if Harmon leaves. CBS currently have him ranked in the 5th round, as do ESPN. It's not impossible he falls into the 6th.

Just a name to keep in mind.

May I ass-ume that he looks to have better value in the 6th round than Jayron Kearse?

6'2.5", 290 lbs

40 - 4.81
Shuttle - 4.24

that's the thing with 7 picks in the last 2 rounds..........round up all the beefcakes and if a couple of them pan out, you're doing good

May I ass-ume that he looks to have better value in the 6th round than Jayron Kearse?

I wasn't impressed with Kearse's tape so I would say yes. From what I've seen of Byard, he looks to have better instincts and is ideal as Harmon insurance.

I know that PFF isn't all that popular round here, but I find that I, and them, keep liking similar propsects.

Kalan Reed is another that they and I like

Yeah, Kaufusi is somebody to whom I'm warming and on whom I would spend a 3rd-rounder.
He could possibly replace some of the responsibilities of both Chandler Jones & Dom Easily.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back