PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Mock Drafts

The Approach

I think this is my first mock draft of the year because I keep going back and forth on how to approach it. The two biggest needs are obviously LG and starting CB, but how to fill those needs is the difficult decision. LG is the easier of the two to fill because it’s more of a plug and play position, while CB will be largely dependent on scheme.

In the end I went with improving the O-Line in the 1st round because I feel it’s the safer move. The issue I see at CB is while we may be able to get one of the top guys at 32 like Byron Jones or Marcus Peters, the odds of them stepping in and being a major contributor as a rookie aren’t great. Even if they do live up to their potential early on, we still lack another quality cover corner on the other side to continue to play an aggressive press-man scheme. So I think the best option right now might be to adapt our defensive scheme and try and upgrade the secondary with one of the 2nd tier CB’s.

32. OL- TJ Clemmings- Pitt/Jake Fisher- Oregon

This pick is to fill the LG position. I like both guys although they have very different skill sets. Who I would prefer probably depends on what their plan is for Nate Solder. If they plan on extending Solder I would probably prefer Fisher because I love his toughness, selflessness and intelligence to be a better LG long term. If Solder may be gone after 2015 then I might prefer Clemmings who can be groomed to take over at LT.

64. DT- Grady Jarrett- Clemson/Michael Bennett- Ohio State

The quickest way to the QB is up the middle and I think both Jarrett and Bennett can create pressure from the inside. If he is available I would prefer Jarrett because I think he is a better pure DT, but Bennett would be a solid alternative with Dominique Easley like versatility.

96. CB- Josh Shaw- USC / Ifo Ekpre-Olumu- Oregon

Losing Revis and Browner will force us to transform our secondary as we simply don’t have the talent to play press-man anymore. Instead I would be looking at CB’s that are better suited to off-man and zone coverage. As part of that I want guys that are smart, instinctive and have good fundamentals. Both Shaw and IEO are excellent tacklers that attack the ball and play the game hard.

97. OL- Daryl Williams- Oklahoma

Williams is largely projected at RT but I love him as a mauling RG, particularly if we do continue to look for larger O-lineman than we have in the past. He may be limited athletically but once he gets his hands on you it’s all over, that’s why I’d love to move him inside. People rave about his character and work ethic and I think he would make an excellent Patriot.

101. MLB- Taiwan Jones- Michigan State

Prototypical size for a Patriots LB’er with incredible functional power. Didn’t run well at the combine but I really don’t care. He plays the game hard and tough and I think he would be an excellent backup LB’er. I see him as a more athletic Brandon Spikes without the crazy.

131. WR- Stefon Diggs- Maryland

The Pats have been heavily linked to WR’s in the lead up to the draft. Diggs is an explosive home run hitter that could add an element to the Pats offence that has been missing. He was a top prep recruit that has never lived up to his potential due to injuries but has the potential to be a better pro than college player. Can also make an impact on special teams.

178. CB- Jacoby Glenn- UCF

A redshirt sophomore who will go much later than he hoped because he didn’t run well. Glenn is still very raw with a lot of room to grow, but he fits the system I would look to play. He is at his best in zone or off-man coverage where he can keep the play in front of him and attack. He has excellent ball skills and is active in run support.

219. DT- Ellis McCarthy- UCLA

Since he was recruited to UCLA, McCarthy has been seen as a potential first round pick. Unfortunately he hasn’t put it all together yet. I love his size and he is a decent athlete, but that hasn’t translated to the field yet. I think he can step in and be a big run stuffer in the middle with the potential to develop into move as he matures as a player.

253. RB- Michael Dyer- Louisville

Oh how time can change things. As a freshman Dyer rushed for over 1,000 yards leading Auburn to a National Title. After a number of off the field issues Dyer bounced around a number of different schools before ending up in Louisville. While he was never consistently the player he was at Auburn, he did show flashes of the player projected to be a future 1st rounder, particularly with his 134 yard, 3 TD effort against Florida State. At the end of the 7th round I think he’s worth a shot

Final Thoughts

- I think a trade down from 32 is quite likely because the talent in this draft is quite flat. I think we can move down 10 spots or so and still get a similarly graded player.

- I know some people have RB as a bigger need, but I’m okay with what we currently have. If we can add another RB or two as UDFA’s to compete for camp spots I think we will be okay.

- With this draft I love the size of our O-Line. Two 6’8” tackles, two 6’5” guards and a 6’4” C

- Undoubtedly I will change my mind again in the next week and make this exercise a complete waste lol

Love both of these mocks Jones and Marpet alone sign me up.
Really intrigued by Diggs.

The ATippett56 Mock Draft Extravaganza :eek:

2015 New England Patriots Mock Draft - 4/23/15
:D

Trade 32nd overall pick and 96th overall pick to the Baltimore Ravens for the 26th overall pick

1-26: Byron Jones, CB - Connecticut (21)
2-64: Ali Marpet, OG - Hobart (67)
3-97: Justin Hardy, WR - East Carolina (92)
4-101: Mike Davis, RB - South Carolina (114)
4-131: Tyeler Davison, DT - Fresno State (139)
6-177: Darryl Roberts, CB - Marshall (175) or Justin Coleman, CB - Tennessee (183)
7-219: Kristjan Sokoli, DE - Buffalo (218)
7-253: TBD

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/all

Priority UDFAs
Corey Grant, RB - Auburn
David Andrews, OC - Georgia or Nick Easton, OC - Harvard
Jamon Brown, OT - Louisville
Takoby Cofield, OT - Duke
Jean Sifrin, TE - Massachusetts
Bud Sasser, WR - Missouri
Tavaris Barnes, DE - Clemson
Deon Simon, DT - Northwestern State
Damien Wilson, ILB - Minnesota or Amarlo Herrera, ILB - Georgia
Dean Marlowe, FS - James Madison or Nick Perry, FS - Alabama
Isaiah Johnson, SS - Georgia Tech or Ronald Martin, SS - Louisiana State
Dexter McDonald, CB - Kansas
Andrew East, LS - Vanderbilt or Joe Cardona, LS - Navy
Kyle Brindza, K - Notre Dame or Josh Lambo, K - Texas A&M
Trevor Pardula, P - Kansas

http://patriotsobserver.com/2015/03/30/tracking-the-patriots-rolodex-of-pre-draft-contacts/

2015 New England Patriot Offense (24 minimum):
Quarterback (2) - Brady (38), Garoppolo (23)
Fullback (1) - Develin (27)
Halfback (4) - Blount (28), Bolden (25), xxxxx, xxxxx
Tight End (3) - Gronkowski (26), Hoomanawanui (27), Chandler (30)
Wide Receiver (5) - Edelman (29), LaFell (28), Amendola (29), Slater (30), xxxxx
Offensive Center (2) - Stork (24), Wendell (29)
Offensive Guard (3) - Kline (25), xxxxx, xxxxx
Offensive Tackle (4) - Solder (27), Vollmer (31), Cannon (27), Fleming (23)

() - player age as of September 10, 2015

On The Bubble:
Cadet, Gaffney, Gray, Lewis, White, Wright (25), Boyce (24), Dobson (24), Gibson (28), Tyms (26)

I'd trade up for B. Jones. Baltimore might need a cb too. Especially, after we exposed their secondary in the playoffs. Pitt and Cincy have good wr corps too. I think Carolina is a good trade partner. They should be picking much higher than 25. But, they won a crappy division and a playoff game. The extra pick could help them. And, their biggest need is prob OL. Can get their guy at 32 All the picks are good.

The Approach

I think this is my first mock draft of the year because I keep going back and forth on how to approach it. The two biggest needs are obviously LG and starting CB, but how to fill those needs is the difficult decision. LG is the easier of the two to fill because it’s more of a plug and play position, while CB will be largely dependent on scheme.

In the end I went with improving the O-Line in the 1st round because I feel it’s the safer move. The issue I see at CB is while we may be able to get one of the top guys at 32 like Byron Jones or Marcus Peters, the odds of them stepping in and being a major contributor as a rookie aren’t great. Even if they do live up to their potential early on, we still lack another quality cover corner on the other side to continue to play an aggressive press-man scheme. So I think the best option right now might be to adapt our defensive scheme and try and upgrade the secondary with one of the 2nd tier CB’s.

32. OL- TJ Clemmings- Pitt/Jake Fisher- Oregon

This pick is to fill the LG position. I like both guys although they have very different skill sets. Who I would prefer probably depends on what their plan is for Nate Solder. If they plan on extending Solder I would probably prefer Fisher because I love his toughness, selflessness and intelligence to be a better LG long term. If Solder may be gone after 2015 then I might prefer Clemmings who can be groomed to take over at LT.

64. DT- Grady Jarrett- Clemson/Michael Bennett- Ohio State

The quickest way to the QB is up the middle and I think both Jarrett and Bennett can create pressure from the inside. If he is available I would prefer Jarrett because I think he is a better pure DT, but Bennett would be a solid alternative with Dominique Easley like versatility.

96. CB- Josh Shaw- USC / Ifo Ekpre-Olumu- Oregon

Losing Revis and Browner will force us to transform our secondary as we simply don’t have the talent to play press-man anymore. Instead I would be looking at CB’s that are better suited to off-man and zone coverage. As part of that I want guys that are smart, instinctive and have good fundamentals. Both Shaw and IEO are excellent tacklers that attack the ball and play the game hard.

97. OL- Daryl Williams- Oklahoma

Williams is largely projected at RT but I love him as a mauling RG, particularly if we do continue to look for larger O-lineman than we have in the past. He may be limited athletically but once he gets his hands on you it’s all over, that’s why I’d love to move him inside. People rave about his character and work ethic and I think he would make an excellent Patriot.

101. MLB- Taiwan Jones- Michigan State

Prototypical size for a Patriots LB’er with incredible functional power. Didn’t run well at the combine but I really don’t care. He plays the game hard and tough and I think he would be an excellent backup LB’er. I see him as a more athletic Brandon Spikes without the crazy.

131. WR- Stefon Diggs- Maryland

The Pats have been heavily linked to WR’s in the lead up to the draft. Diggs is an explosive home run hitter that could add an element to the Pats offence that has been missing. He was a top prep recruit that has never lived up to his potential due to injuries but has the potential to be a better pro than college player. Can also make an impact on special teams.

178. CB- Jacoby Glenn- UCF

A redshirt sophomore who will go much later than he hoped because he didn’t run well. Glenn is still very raw with a lot of room to grow, but he fits the system I would look to play. He is at his best in zone or off-man coverage where he can keep the play in front of him and attack. He has excellent ball skills and is active in run support.

219. DT- Ellis McCarthy- UCLA

Since he was recruited to UCLA, McCarthy has been seen as a potential first round pick. Unfortunately he hasn’t put it all together yet. I love his size and he is a decent athlete, but that hasn’t translated to the field yet. I think he can step in and be a big run stuffer in the middle with the potential to develop into move as he matures as a player.

253. RB- Michael Dyer- Louisville

Oh how time can change things. As a freshman Dyer rushed for over 1,000 yards leading Auburn to a National Title. After a number of off the field issues Dyer bounced around a number of different schools before ending up in Louisville. While he was never consistently the player he was at Auburn, he did show flashes of the player projected to be a future 1st rounder, particularly with his 134 yard, 3 TD effort against Florida State. At the end of the 7th round I think he’s worth a shot

Final Thoughts

- I think a trade down from 32 is quite likely because the talent in this draft is quite flat. I think we can move down 10 spots or so and still get a similarly graded player.

- I know some people have RB as a bigger need, but I’m okay with what we currently have. If we can add another RB or two as UDFA’s to compete for camp spots I think we will be okay.

- With this draft I love the size of our O-Line. Two 6’8” tackles, two 6’5” guards and a 6’4” C

- Undoubtedly I will change my mind again in the next week and make this exercise a complete waste lol

I'd love a Fisher, Jarrett and Shaw 1-2-3. Not as big on another OL. Isn't Fleming going to be our mauling RG? I have Fisher at LG and want to extend Solder. Diggs turned me off by starting a pre-game fight at PSU and hitting a ref and then got his team a 15 yard penalty by not shaking hands when the captains when out before the game. Seems like a DB. And, I don't mean defensive back. Jones looks like a Patriot LB.

I like Tippett's first 4 picks, and Wilfork's first 3 .

I'd trade up for B. Jones. Baltimore might need a cb too. Especially, after we exposed their secondary in the playoffs. Pitt and Cincy have good wr corps too. I think Carolina is a good trade partner. They should be picking much higher than 25. But, they won a crappy division and a playoff game. The extra pick could help them. And, their biggest need is prob OL. Can get their guy at 32 All the picks are good.
As for trading up in the first round, I strictly abided by NFL Draft Pick Trade Chart.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=ne

Teams don't strictly abide by it any more. Sometimes you get more, sometimes you get less. SF moved from 31 to 18 in 2013. 300 point value. Gave up pick 74. 220 point value. My trade up is 130 point value. I'm giving up 116 points. Seems reasonable.
I am trying to be as realistic as possible with my projections. With that said, more power to the New England Patriots if the move up in the first round is as high as possible while only surrendering a third round draft pick.

I am trying to be as realistic as possible with my projections. With that said, more power to the New England Patriots if the move up in the first round is as high as possible while only surrendering a third round draft pick.

Happened last year too. NO gave Arizona pick 91 to move from 27 to 20. All Seattle got for moving from 32 to 40 was a fourth. Picks late in Round 1 aren't valued as highly as those earlier in the round.

It could also depend on the position from which the other team is trading. The Vikings in 2013
jumped >20 spots and therefore had to compensate us thusly. I wouldn't want to pay the price
a 1st-round, double-digit trade-up would cost.

If I had to guess, I'd go with a trade back. I can see someone moving up for Petty. Slide back. Get someone like Carl Davis, PJ Williams at 64. Now, you have a lot of picks to throw at the offense. The 3rd you get for moving back. Maybe 74-75 ish, 96 and 97. Guards and RB's have been de-valued. That's an area we can get a good prospect. And, maybe a WR too because there are so many of them.

I still have a couple of 4th's. Trade for a vet?? I think the timing of Mayo's extension is interesting. Need cap space if we trade for someone.

In his latest mock I was sad to see Rang has the Chiefs taking Rowe at 18th overall. @%^#@^@#

TRADE: Patriots trade #32 and #96 to Panthers for pick #25.

25. Byron Jones CB UCONN
64. Ali Marpet OG Hobart
97. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB Oregon
101. Jamison Crowder WR Duke

In manx we trust :D. I still feel that Peters can make a better day 1 impact and is less risky on the field, but Jones is a perfect patriot from an attitude standpoint. Peters, not so much. Also, tidbits like this have made me move Jones to essentially tied with Peters:

@caplannfl: Notes on Byron Jones: Teams are talking to him about playing CB not FS. Teams looking at him as press CB, not off coverage CB.

Marpet is a beast, Olomu is a great value that can play in the slot and outside, and Crowder is a favorite of mine. I wish I could fit a RB in there though.

Potential 2016 CB trio:

1. Byron Jones
2. Malcolm Butler
3, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (NB)

That group could be awesome. There will be some growing pains with Butler/Rookie next year though.

25. Byron Jones CB UCONN
64. Ali Marpet OG Hobart

In manx we trust :D. I still feel that Peters can make a better day 1 impact and is less risky on the field, but Jones is a perfect patriot from an attitude standpoint. Peters, not so much. Also, tidbits like this have made me move Jones to essentially tied with Peters:

@caplannfl: Notes on Byron Jones: Teams are talking to him about playing CB not FS. Teams looking at him as press CB, not off coverage CB.

Marpet is a beast, Olomu is a great value that can play in the slot and outside, and Crowder is a favorite of mine. I wish I could fit a RB in there though.

Potential 2016 CB trio:

1. Byron Jones
2. Malcolm Butler
3, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (NB)

That group could be awesome. There will be some growing pains with Butler/Rookie next year though.

Nice job. I love the first two picks and have no issues with the other two. We do need to have a conversation about DeAndre Smelter being the best WR though :) . And of course I approve of the trade up.

25. Byron Jones CB UCONN
64. Ali Marpet OG Hobart

Potential 2016 CB trio:

1. Byron Jones
2. Malcolm Butler
3, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (NB)

Love that idea about moving up for a cb. I read somewhere that Olumu's injury is worse than expected. Gonna really drop. Can't find link. Can we get a DL at 97?

Final mock. This is my Patriots prediction - best guess

#32 - Byron Jones - CB - If he is there I honestly think he is the Pats choice. He can start in zone (which they want right now) and go to cover eventually (which they will want in the future). Backup pick: Eddie Goldman - DT

#64 - Grady Jarrett - DT - Seems like an option and the Pats could be looking for help here. I don't think they wait till later to address this need as it is pretty pressing. Backup pick: Eric Rowe - CB (some CB is gonna fall I will just pick this one).

#96 - TRADED FOR PLAYER - With the mayo contract restructure today I am fairly confident we trade one of our first 3 picks for a player. Probably a very good guard, CB or DT. I will say we trade for a pro bowl caliber guard with this pick (that a team does not want to pay for and that might be a bit older)

#97comp - Mike Davis - RB - We need help here. We will get it with s solid all around RB.

#101 - John Miller - G - Even if we trade for a starting Guard we still need another to groom.

#132 - Jamison Crowder - WR - Not the WR a lot of people wanted but do we need a big one? We have Gronk and now Chandler for long term. Lafell for 2 more years. I think they go for a smaller skill guy for good value. Crowder should not be here but he is 5'9 on a good day... so he might be. He replaces Amendola next year.

Edit: I'll include the last 3 picks though I doubt any make it.

#178 Taiwan Jones - LB - would be an absolute steal here and contribute as a 2 down role player incase of injury. If not pick Max Valles - OLB who has more talent but is more of a project.

#219 Shaquille Riddick - DE - at 6'6 244 he is undersized which is why he can fall this far. Take a shot on an undersized guy and hope he can put on weight and keep his speed. If he can could be a solid depth DE.

#253 John Lowdermilk - SS - Take a shot on a 6'1 210 pound safety. I was also thinking maybe Brian Blechen here (6'2 225) but in the end John got the nod. Looks like a good zone safety with decent coverage for a guy his size. Maybe pushes the back end of the roster for a spot.. maybe.
Awsome mock!
The only player i don't like that much is Crowder. I think we could get a Titus Davis or Chris Conley there.

Love that idea about moving up for a cb. I read somewhere that Olumu's injury is worse than expected. Gonna really drop. Can't find link. Can we get a DL at 97?

Wow, looks like you're right:

@DraftCampbell: ICYMI- Per sources Ifo Ekpre-Olomu injury is worse than advertised. Some teams have him as an undrafted free agent. http://t.co/rGxt2LdqaQ

Who knows if the source is valid but an injury like Lattimore or McGahee...ouch. I'd still take him in rds. 6-7 and IR stash him. That's a shame.

I'm not sure what I'd do at 97, maybe trade up again in 70-80s if Abdullah falls. Not sure how I feel about the mid round DLs.

Wow, looks like you're right:

@DraftCampbell: ICYMI- Per sources Ifo Ekpre-Olomu injury is worse than advertised. Some teams have him as an undrafted free agent. http://t.co/rGxt2LdqaQ

Who knows if the source is valid but an injury like Lattimore or McGahee...ouch. I'd still take him in rds. 6-7 and IR stash him. That's a shame.

I'm not sure what I'd do at 97, maybe trade up again in 70-80s if Abdullah falls. Not sure how I feel about the mid round DLs.

How do you feel about Marcus Hardison? Jones-Marpet-Hardison would be close to a dream scenario for me at least. However, you can't go wrong with Abdullah or David Johnson in that slot either (after a trade up probably).

If we used a three to trade up, I might pass on RB this year. Would rather go wr at 101 if we had; Jones, Marpet and Hardison. Maybe, a back drops to 131.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back