96. David Johnson RB Northern Iowa
98. Lynden Trail DE Norfolk State
108. Ali Marpet OG Hobart
128. Marcus Hardison DT Arizona State
139. Durrell Eskridge FS Syracuse
162. Taiwan Jones ILB Michigan State
193. Kenny Bell WR Nebraska
205. Jean Sifrin TE UMASS
KD, I hate to be critical because you bring so much info to the draft board.....BUT damned.

Hate all the trades. Not so much about where you wound up, but more on the fact of what you got for them. Philosophically I would be very pissed if the Pats walked away from this draft with 12 players. Trade them for picks in next year's draft, I'm OK with that. Trade them to move up in rounds to get the players you want, and I'm OK with that. The fact is that this is a loaded roster to begin with, and if we wind up with 7 picks this year, I would be pleasantly surprised to see 4 make the final 53. Then think about that plus 5. Its a waste.

That being said here is a link on Eli Harold. I hate that pick there, especially since its my 3rd priority. In the late 4th I'd take him. Here's the link. Feel free to comment

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/01/19/2015-nfl-draft-eli-harold-scouting-report/

Now you did tick off 2 of my biggest needs in Hardison and Jackson and Trail. IF these were the only 3 guys we got in the draft, I would be happy. ..EXCEPT I sincerely doubt any of them will be around to be taken at those spots. If find it hard o think that Hardison or Jackson will make it out of the 2nd round, and Trail is getting enough ink now to think he won't make it out of the 3rd. I could be wrong.

BTW - Sifrin is a great pick in the 7th or as an UDFA

So in the end when you come right down to it, I love a lot of the players you took (not the first one), but can't see how we can get them in reality

KD, I hate to be critical because you bring so much info to the draft board.....BUT damned.

Hate all the trades. Not so much about where you wound up, but more on the fact of what you got for them. Philosophically I would be very pissed if the Pats walked away from this draft with 12 players. Trade them for picks in next year's draft, I'm OK with that. Trade them to move up in rounds to get the players you want, and I'm OK with that. The fact is that this is a loaded roster to begin with, and if we wind up with 7 picks this year, I would be pleasantly surprised to see 4 make the final 53. Then think about that plus 5. Its a waste.

That being said here is a link on Eli Harold. I hate that pick there, especially since its my 3rd priority. In the late 4th I'd take him. Here's the link. Feel free to comment

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/01/19/2015-nfl-draft-eli-harold-scouting-report/

Now you did tick off 2 of my biggest needs in Hardison and Jackson and Trail. IF these were the only 3 guys we got in the draft, I would be happy. ..EXCEPT I sincerely doubt any of them will be around to be taken at those spots. If find it hard o think that Hardison or Jackson will make it out of the 2nd round, and Trail is getting enough ink now to think he won't make it out of the 3rd. I could be wrong.

So in the end when you come right down to it, I love a lot of the players you took (not the first one), but can't see how we can get them in reality

This is one mock of many I will do before the draft. I am trying to hit every possible scenario there is to see what the outcome will be.
Some of my mocks will not have the Pats trading down and in some other ones, I might see what will happen if we trade up.

My 2 Round Mock Draft...

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/32848

My Patriots 7 Round Mock Draft...
32. Traded to Browns for #43, #108, #139, #205
43. Eli Harold OLB Virginia
64. Traded to Raiders for #68, #163
68. Tre' Jackson OG Florida State
96. David Johnson RB Northern Iowa
98. Lynden Trail DE Norfolk State
108. Ali Marpet OG Hobart
128. Marcus Hardison DT Arizona State
139. Durrell Eskridge FS Syracuse
162. Taiwan Jones ILB Michigan State
193. Kenny Bell WR Nebraska
205. Jean Sifrin TE UMASS

Several of your picks are on my favorite list, especially Ali Marpet, Marcus Hardison and Kenny Bell. No one knows how the draft is going to go and I certainly don't have a crystal ball, but I will be extremely surprised if those picks last that long in the draft.

Last edited:
Good work.

My post-combine mock.

#32 - TRADE - 48 & 80

#48 - Nate Orchard - DE/OLB
#62 - Phillip Dorsett - WR
#80 - Duke Johnson (whoever) - RB
#96 - Ali Marpet - OG
Comp - Byron Jones - CB
103 - Ellis McCarthy - DT
132 - Za'Darius Smith - DE
and i will stop @ round 4.

Now why did i do this mock this way?

I am getting the impression FA will hit us harder than i thought it would make trading down for extra picks perhaps a more attractive option in a fairly deep draft for our needs.

I kind of punted on DT this year cause i think no one who is a true impact starter will be in trade range and I don't like the 2nd rounders so i thought take a chance in the 4th and try to stand pat or sign a FA.

Edge I think has the best 2nd round value of any spot in this draft so i went there to get an Ayers upgrade with a versitle player. A few other guys are options here.

WR in the 2nd is new for me but I think the value is too good to pass up and you can wait on OG & RB.

Duke Johnson might not be here but if he is not sub in someone else as long as he can catch some.

Marpet to me has maybe the most upside of any non-first round OL. I think as long as you sign Connolly (or some vet) you can afford to bring him along.

Byron Jones is just a upside pick. Take a shot.

In the 4th i think an edge holding DE who can maybe pass rush some and a DT who can maybe develop or be a decent rotation guy is good value.

I really like this mock. Good job. I like the trade idea also. Would love to see that trade happen on day 1 this year.

Couple of interesting two round mocks I saw today, both of which I like.

First, Matt Miller from Bleacher Report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2374619-2015-nfl-mock-draft-post-combine-update

32. Jake Fisher, OL, Oregon

64. Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

I realise I'm higher on Abdullah than almost everyone so this mock probably excites me more than you and considering how similar Jake Fisher measured up to Nate Solder at the combine, one can't help but compare this mock to what happened in 2011. At least we don't need the 3rd round QB.

The second is from Eric Edholm of Yahoo Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-draft-155706803.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

32. Cameron Erving, OL, FSU

64. Preston Smith, DE, MSU

Not quite as wowed as I am with the first one, but I'd be more than fine with either.

Miller knows his stuff. Great reason for picking Fisher for us is the importance of pass protection in our scheme. Sound reasoning. I've read Abdullah is a great kid and hard worker. But, fumbling and lack of size for pass protection concern me.

I agree - given the depth of the Pats right now, I'd love to see them move up, even in the first, to get either an OL or DL who could contribute quickly. if they draft 9 players, they'll shed a bunch before the end of camp.

I agree - given the depth of the Pats right now, I'd love to see them move up, even in the first, to get either an OL or DL who could contribute quickly. if they draft 9 players, they'll shed a bunch before the end of camp.
Ali Marpet in the second round and he will be a day 1 starter at LG.

I hate to break it to you. But the team has a bunch of room for improvement and upgrades, especially in the depth category. I can think of at least 8 players who are not only getting older and more expensive to retain each season, but they also haven't shown much sign of improvement during their time in the league, and there time in NE. That coupled with the fact that this draft is loaded with late round developmental talent, along with the fact that we don't have any true glaring holes, create the perfect situation to draft 8-10 players. 12 is a little much, but don't bash the idea of drafting a bunch of players.

Yes Developmental players don't always work out, actually they rarely work out. However a lot of that has to do with the environment and situation they're put into. If they are placed on a team where there isn't much talent around them, and they are asked to take on a lot of responsibility quickly, they often fail. If they are taken by a team that has a great balance of veteran and younger talent, then allowed to sit back, learn, and ease into things, their chances of actually "developing" become much higher. The problem for most "developmental" players is, there aren't many teams in the NFL on a yearly basis that offer the "situation" I mentioned above. It just so happens to be that this years Patriots team is in that position.
With that being said. Im all for a few trade backs to acquire more mid round developmental talent.

I hate to break it to you. But the team has a bunch of room for improvement and upgrades, especially in the depth category. I can think of at least 8 players who are not only getting older and more expensive to retain each season, but they also haven't shown much sign of improvement during their time in the league, and there time in NE. That coupled with the fact that this draft is loaded with late round developmental talent, along with the fact that we don't have any true glaring holes, create the perfect situation to draft 8-10 players. 12 is a little much, but don't bash the idea of drafting a bunch of players.

Yes Developmental players don't always work out, actually they rarely work out. However a lot of that has to do with the environment and situation they're put into. If they are placed on a team where there isn't much talent around them, and they are asked to take on a lot of responsibility quickly, they often fail. If they are taken by a team that has a great balance of veteran and younger talent, then allowed to sit back, learn, and ease into things, their chances of actually "developing" become much higher. The problem for most "developmental" players is, there aren't many teams in the NFL on a yearly basis that offer the "situation" I mentioned above. It just so happens to be that this years Patriots team is in that position.
With that being said. Im all for a few trade backs to acquire more mid round developmental talent.

Well a lot depends on FA obviously so we all won't really know how many holes we will have to address until late March. I am thinking there will be quite a few but of course no one knows for sure. I did a mock and it did have 1 trade down but I thought even though i like the later rounds in this draft rounds 2-4 are too good to trade down too much. There are more guys in the 5-7 rounds than usual but for me personally i don't consider that the true sweet spot of this draft.

Of course this is all just best guess and no one will really know till years later.

Well a lot depends on FA obviously so we all won't really know how many holes we will have to address until late March. I am thinking there will be quite a few but of course no one knows for sure. I did a mock and it did have 1 trade down but I thought even though i like the later rounds in this draft rounds 2-4 are too good to trade down too much. There are more guys in the 5-7 rounds than usual but for me personally i don't consider that the true sweet spot of this draft.

Of course this is all just best guess and no one will really know till years later.

I don't think we should trade back unless we get a good deal.

I also have my eyes set on several FA's which would be a great addition to the team. The problem is, the only way I think we sign them is by cutting other depth players who are further along in their careers, which results in a higher cap hit. Drafting late round prospects with low cap hits to replace them, not only gives you an opportunity to find diamonds in the ruff, but it frees up much needed cap space we are going to need.

Im not saying we need another 6 picks, but an additional 2-3 would be nice

Last edited:
I find any suggestion of drafting a RB in the first 3 rounds:

Couple of interesting two round mocks I saw today, both of which I like.

First, Matt Miller from Bleacher Report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2374619-2015-nfl-mock-draft-post-combine-update

32. Jake Fisher, OL, Oregon

64. Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska

I realise I'm higher on Abdullah than almost everyone so this mock probably excites me more than you and considering how similar Jake Fisher measured up to Nate Solder at the combine, one can't help but compare this mock to what happened in 2011.

Didn't fisher get destroyed by WILLIAMS of usc?

I do not have Abdullah on my board due to fumbling issues.

I sincerely doubt the patriots will move up, it's possible but I only really see it if they really REALLY want a pass rusher. Outside of 2012 they have failed to move up for players even when they really want them. I'd love to see them get a guard who can start week 1 but I don't think they necessarily need to move up to get that player.

Didn't fisher get destroyed by WILLIAMS of usc?

I do not have Abdullah on my board due to fumbling issues.

His fumble issues are no worse than Kevin Faulk's were. I think that's a mistake to take him off your board- one of the most athletic, talented and best football personalities in the draft.

Fisher was moved from RT to LT during the season, I'm sure there would be teething troubles against one of the best football players in all of college football. Fisher has almost exactly the same athleticism as Nate Solder and I would envision playing him at OG anyway.

This is my no BS(Stole that from Tipp) OMG Diggy has moved up to 25 and we can't get him now Mock!!
According to CBS Rankings.

1. Eddie Goldman - DT - FSU - CBS has him at 31. Can't see Seahawks picking him. I'm releasing VW.

2. Preston Smith - DE - Miss St - Will eventually replace Ninko as our LDE. Hopefully, can spell him a bit so our de's don't play 90pct of snaps when healthy.

3. Donovan Smith - OL - PSU - Played LT at PSU. 6'5" 338LB. I'd like to get him down to 325 and move him to LG.

3 Justin Hardy - WR - ECU - 3-cone. And, he can play.

4. Mike Davis - RB - S. Carolina - I think he's Steven Ridley but a much better receiver. Hampered by nagging injuries in 2014 cause him to slide.

4. Jeff Heuerman - TE - OSU - Good blocking inline TE. Gronk insurance and formation flexibility. Better blocker than Hoo Man and Wright.

6. Shaq Mason - G - Ga Tech - Could be starter at RG if Fleming doesn't work out in a year or two. Back-up C material too once Wendell leaves after 2015 season.

6. M. Valles - DE/OLB - UVA - Surprised he's rated so low. Maybe, sneak him onto P.S.

7. S. Ficken - K - PSU - Are we keeping Gostkowski? Mentally tough kid. Overcame a horrible beginning of his career in 2012. O'Brien basically quit kicking after Virginia game. Made some clutch kicks later in his career. Two in 2014. One to beat UCF at the gun. Down 1. One to send Pinstripe Bowl to OT. Down 3 at the gun and pretty cold at Yankee Stadium.

I'm going to do the whole off season while I still can! This is my final one and we will just see how correct I am. Remember the rule of 51 and the signings do not include the minimum already being paid but represent the new dollars that need to be spent above that mark

Over the cap 7M

Restructure Wilfork - save 4m
Extend Revis - save 10m
Restructure Mayo - save 4m
Restructure Amendola - save 2m
Extend Solder - save 3m
Cut/Trade Dennard - save 1m
Cut/Trade/Restructure Wilson & Hooman - save 1m

25 - 7 = 20m to use. Also 3M set aside for emergency gives you 15m max.

McCourty - 5M (goes up next year & long term deal)
Connolly - 3.5M (1 year OR another vet on a 1 year deal)
Gost - 3M (long term)
Develin/Casillas/Siliga/Aiken/ect - Other odds and ends - 2.5M

Notable loses - Branch, Vereen, Ayers & Ridley

No trade downs or ups to make it easier.

#32 - Diggy - DE (maybe Armstead but I think a DE/OLB/pass rusher is the best idea here and will be available)
#64 - Tevin Coleman - RB
#96 - Marpet - OL (using Mayo's binky and any number of combos of OL/DL could work at this point in the draft).
3rd comp #97 - Hardison -DT (stealing Manx's binky too)
#102 - Tre McBride - WR
#132 - Olomu - CB (Arrington replacement being only 5'9 his injury us gonna knock him way down as he might not even play in 2015).

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back