PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Mock Drafts

I agree. Again, I have no problems with the picks.

I love Clemmings, but I wouldn't trade that much to move up. A 3rd, yes.
I don't think a 3rd would get us high enough to draft him.

Matt Miller of nfldraftscout is a good follow on twitter. He thinks Terry Williams could end up being a first round pick. I have no problems with Clemmings and Irving. But, are both going to move to guard? Neither have played there I believe. Our OL is a concern. They got handled at GB and SD. They usually play much better at home. Prob my chief area of concern headed into the off-season too. I think we're going to let VW walk. I'd love to get a couple of OL and a DT. Pass-rusher will have to wait. Hope we can re-sign Ayers to help there. Excellent players all over. What do you think of Trey Flowers out of Arkansas? I thought he looked good against Mizzou. My other line of thought on de is to draft Noah Spence late 3rd or 4a. That's where we got AHern.

1. I already follow Matt Miller but missed that about Williams. I don't want to commit to him as a first rounder, but I do see that talent in him. I struggle to see what he doesn't have in comparison to Dontari Poe.

2. I said that I see Clemmings taking over from Nate Solder in 2016 or at worst taking over from Vollmer. As for Erving, if he can move from LT to center then I don't see much of an issue moving to guard. He's impressive as a run blocker.

3. I haven't seen Flowers yet and Spence scares me. To be honest, with Hightower and Collins being so impressive as blitzes, pas rush has diminished as a priority for me. Having said that, if I can't get Clemmings, Ronnie Stanley or maybe La'el Collins in the first round then I'd probably look at pass rusher in the first.

Thank you for that constructive break down.

Trade round 1 and round 2 to move up to pick 18-21

Round 1-TJ Cummings, OT/OG
Round 3-Zach Hodges, OLB
Round 3-Jaquiski Tartt, DB
Round 4-Tyler Kroft, TE
Round 4-Lynden Trail, OLB
Round 5-David Johnson, RB
Round 6-Robert Myers, OT/OG
Round 6-Xavier Williams, DT
Round 7-De'Ante Saunders, DB

Resign
Darrelle Revis
Devin McCourty
Stephen Gostkowski
Shane Vereen
Pat Chung
Akeem Ayers
Jonathan Casillas
Alan Branch
Sealver Siliga (RFA)
James Develin (RFA)

Restructure
Jerod Mayo
Nate Solder
Kyle Arrington
Danny Amendola

Some nice picks. Xavier Williams is an interesting pick. He's a name I'm interested in but haven't seen enough yet to commit. I'm less sure about Tyler Kroft but only because he's too similar to Tim Wright. I think we need more of an inline blocker to replace Hooman.

As for trading up for Clemmings, I wouldn't trade a first and second myself, but I wouldn't be overly bothered if they did it; I see Clemmings as the Ziggy Ansah of the OL.

3. I haven't seen Flowers yet and Spence scares me. To be honest, with Hightower and Collins being so impressive as blitzes, pas rush has diminished as a priority for me. Having said that, if I can't get Clemmings, Ronnie Stanley or maybe La'el Collins in the first round then I'd probably look at pass rusher in the first.

What about Brandon Scherff?

I don't think a 3rd would get us high enough to draft him.

Then I personally wouldn't do it. But plenty of time for that one to play out.

What about Brandon Scherff?

Yes I'd take him but as an OG, not as a LT. By the by, I'd grade Ronnie Stanley ahead of Clemmings - he's much more a finished product and is excellent.

Yes I'd take him but as an OG, not as a LT. By the by, I'd grade Ronnie Stanley ahead of Clemmings - he's much more a finished product and is excellent.

I would probably rate Scherff and Erving as my top 2 guard prospects. Stanley is a tackle, and he is indeed excellent. Clemmings can probably play all 4 positions, but his upside may be even higher as a tackle than as a guard. Not 100% sure about Collins or Sambrailo yet. Have to watch more of Drango.

Then I personally wouldn't do it. But plenty of time for that one to play out.
Assuming we resign Revis, McCourty, and a few others. I personally think that the 2015 team is going to be even better than this years team so I am trying to look at needs. I expect Easley to be a force in season 2. I combine that with the return of Mayo and I think we have an excellent front 7. I do not see the tremendous need for a pass rusher that many do because I think that if we have Mayo it allows us to use Hightower as an edge rusher.

Chandler Jones
Rob Ninkovich
Donta Hightower
Akeem Ayers

That is a very good 4 man DE/OLB rotation.

This is why I'm addressing a need in the OL with the best player I think we have a chance to take.

Assuming we resign Revis, McCourty, and a few others. I personally think that the 2015 team is going to be even better than this years team so I am trying to look at needs. I expect Easley to be a force in season 2. I combine that with the return of Mayo and I think we have an excellent front 7. I do not see the tremendous need for a pass rusher that many do because I think that if we have Mayo it allows us to use Hightower as an edge rusher.

Chandler Jones
Rob Ninkovich
Donta Hightower
Akeem Ayers

That is a very good 4 man DE/OLB rotation.

This is why I'm addressing a need in the OL with the best player I think we have a chance to take.

If we re-up Ayers, that lessens the need for an edge rusher. I could still see us going DL though. A big kid who can play LDE in the 4-3 and slide inside for pass rush purposes in our nickel. Thinking Oakman or Armstead. Or, if we let VW go. A DT to get in the rotation and be groomed as him long-term replacement. Silega and Branch being short-term regulars

If we re-up Ayers, that lessens the need for an edge rusher. I could still see us going DL though. A big kid who can play LDE in the 4-3 and slide inside for pass rush purposes in our nickel. Thinking Oakman or Armstead. Or, if we let VW go. A DT to get in the rotation and be groomed as him long-term replacement. Silega and Branch being short-term regulars
I cannot see us letting Wilfork go he has been arguably the best NT in the NFL this season.

Ayers re-signing is the key regarding that edge rusher discussion. If we can retain him he is the perfect sub package/back up option at DE/OLB.

It would allow us to focus on (IMO) a top notch OG/T prospect to replace Connolly/Wendel and also TE.

I am going to wait a bit till i start mocking but FA this year i think should be focused on trying to keep this defense together. Draft should be about helping our Offense replenish on the run and we have the picks to get who we want.

New mock, same as the old mock (almost).
I'm going to assume they resign Branch, Revis, Ayers, but not McCourty

1. Trade DOWN picking up mid 2nd, mid 3rd

2a. Malcom BROWN, DT Texas
2b. Jake FISHER, OT Oregon, or Spencer DRANGO OT, Baylor
3a. Justin HARDY, WR, ECU
3b. Laken TOMLINSON, G Duke
3s. Kurtis DRUMMOND, S, Mich State

4a. Trade DOWN for later 4th and 5th

4b. Preston SMITH, DE, Miss. State
4c. Jeff Huermann TE Ohio State
5. Quinton Rollins CB Miami Ohio
6. Jordan Hicks, LB Texas
7. Shaquille Mason G Georgia Tech

The ATippett56 Early Bird Special :eek:

2015 New England Patriots Preliminary Mock Draft - 12/10/14 :D

1st Round - Ronnie Stanley, OT - Notre Dame
2nd Round - Owamagbe Odighizuwa, DE - UCLA
3rd Round - Utilized to trade up in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft
3rd Round Compensatory - Laken Tomlinson, OG - Duke or Jarvis Harrison, OG - Texas A&M
4th Round - David Cobb, RB - Minnesota or Jeremy Langford, RB - Michigan State
4th Round - Stephone Anthony, ILB - Clemson
6th Round - Adam Shead, OG - Oklahoma
7th Round - Jaxon Shipley, WR - Texas

2015 Top NFL Draft Prospects Rankings (updated 12/10/2014) by NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/all

Priority UDFAs
Grant Hedrick, QB - Boise State
Mark Weisman, FB - Iowa
Corey Grant, RB - Auburn
Shane McDermott, OC - Miami (Florida)
Kaleb Johnson, OG - Rutgers
Shaquille Mason, OG - Georgia Tech
Tayo Fabuluje, OT - Texas Christian
Gabe Holmes, TE - Purdue
Ray Hamilton, TE - Iowa
Cam Worthy, WR - East Carolina
Andre Davis, WR - South Florida
Devin Smith, WR - Ohio State
Jarrod West, WR - Syracuse
Cory Morrissey, DE - Iowa State
Marcus Hardison, DT - Arizona State
Taiwan Jones, ILB - Michigan State
Thurston Armbrister, OLB - Miami (Florida)
Tra'Mayne Bondurant, FS - Arizona
Nick Perry, FS - Alabama
Corey Cooper, SS - Nebraska
Garry Peters, CB - Clemson
Joe Cardona, LS - Navy

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...notre-dame-lt-ronnie-stanley-an-emerging-star

Last edited:
Trade round 1 and round 2 to move up to pick 18-21

Round 1-TJ Cummings, OT/OG
Round 3-Zach Hodges, OLB
Round 3-Jaquiski Tartt, DB
Round 4-Tyler Kroft, TE
Round 4-Lynden Trail, OLB
Round 5-David Johnson, RB
Round 6-Robert Myers, OT/OG
Round 6-Xavier Williams, DT
Round 7-De'Ante Saunders, DB

No WR?

New mock, same as the old mock (almost).
I'm going to assume they resign Branch, Revis, Ayers, but not McCourty

1. Trade DOWN picking up mid 2nd, mid 3rd

2a. Malcom BROWN, DT Texas
2b. Jake FISHER, OT Oregon, or Spencer DRANGO OT, Baylor
3a. Justin HARDY, WR, ECU
3b. Laken TOMLINSON, G Duke
3s. Kurtis DRUMMOND, S, Mich State

4a. Trade DOWN for later 4th and 5th

4b. Preston SMITH, DE, Miss. State
4c. Jeff Huermann TE Ohio State
5. Quinton Rollins CB Miami Ohio
6. Jordan Hicks, LB Texas
7. Shaquille Mason G Georgia Tech

Very nice mock. Nice call in hardy.

I am very interested to see how Huermann does against our, I mean alabama's version, of our defense.

Two guys from texas? Does bb know Charlie strong?

Here's a 3-round mock from Luke Easterling of Draft Report.

http://thedraftreport.com/mock-draft/

1. D. Funchess - TE/WR - Michigan
2. A. Armstead - DE - Oregon
3. J. Motias - G - FSU

Not too bad. I wouldn't go with Funchess. TJ Clemmings is still there. Pretty sure the board would take him. Love Armstead late 2nd. LDE in our base. Slides inside on 3rd down. Josue Matias - G. Jarvis Harrison A&M still on board. How bout?

1. TJ Clemmings - OL - Pitt
3. J. Motias - G - FSU
3. supple J. Heuerman - TE - Ohio St

Would greatly improve our blocking and add a good DL prospect.

Here's a 3-round mock from Luke Easterling of Draft Report.

http://thedraftreport.com/mock-draft/

1. D. Funchess - TE/WR - Michigan
3. J. Motias - G - FSU

Not too bad. I wouldn't go with Funchess. TJ Clemmings is still there. Pretty sure the board would take him. Love Armstead late 2nd. LDE in our base. Slides inside on 3rd down. Josue Matias - G. Jarvis Harrison A&M still on board. How bout?

1. TJ Clemmings - OL - Pitt
3. J. Motias - G - FSU
3. supple J. Heuerman - TE - Ohio St

Would greatly improve our blocking and add a good DL prospect.

That's a nice mock for showing how much talent is likely to be available.

In that scenario, Clemmings is almost certainly the BPA. He's a top-15 talent. There are some really good players still available (Danielle Hunter at 49, Malcolm Brown at 52, Maxx Williams at 53, Cam Erving at 55) but none better than Clemmings.

I like Arik Amstead quite a bit and would be fine with him at 62. But I'm not sure I don't like his teammate DeForest Buckner better (he goes at 79). And I'd be tempted to trade up for one of the 4 guys listed above. Lemmings-Erving would solidify the OL for the next decade. Maxx Williams would combine with Gronk and Tim Wright to make the TE position dominant. Brown is a real Wilfork replacement, and Hunter is perhaps my favorite DE prospect for the Pats (or co-favorite, along with Bud Dupree).

Similarly, I like Matias, but I'm not sure I like him better than Jarvis Harrison, or than some of the trade-up options. Jake Fisher at 75 and Buckner at 79 are tempting.

If I were to redo this based on BVA, I'd probably go with:

1. TJ Clemmings - OL - Pittsburgh. 4 position player who can start at LG and become a franchise LT.
*** Trade: Trade 62 and TB's 4th to move up in the 2nd round.
2. Maxx Williams - TE - Minnesota. Far better than ASJ. Gronk+Williams will be unstoppable. A 1st round talent in the late 2nd is too good to pass up.
3. Omagabwe Odighizuwa - DE - UCLA. I don't think he'll be available anywhere near this late, but in this mock he is. Too good to pass up here.
3 (comp). Jarvis Harrison - OL - Texas A&M. Tackle/guard hybrid. Or Matias, if still available.
4. Jaquiski Tartt - S - Samford, Durrelle Eskridge - S - Syracuse or Tony Lippett - WR/DB - Michigan St.
6 (from TB). Terry Williams - DT - East Carolina. Has the upside to be a Wilfork successor.
6 (comp). DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech. Day 2 prospect under the radar and with an ACL tear.
7 (from Tenn). BPA.

I somehow think Manx may be ok with this draft. :D I don't see some of these guys being available at those spots, but if that's the way it played out, it would be too good to pass up.

I think the take away message for me is that there will be some good players who slip through the cracks under any scenario, and the Pats have enough ammo to move around and move up if someone warrants it.

That's a nice mock for showing how much talent is likely to be available.

In that scenario, Clemmings is almost certainly the BPA. He's a top-15 talent. There are some really good players still available (Danielle Hunter at 49, Malcolm Brown at 52, Maxx Williams at 53, Cam Erving at 55) but none better than Clemmings.

I like Arik Amstead quite a bit and would be fine with him at 62. But I'm not sure I don't like his teammate DeForest Buckner better (he goes at 79). And I'd be tempted to trade up for one of the 4 guys listed above. Lemmings-Erving would solidify the OL for the next decade. Maxx Williams would combine with Gronk and Tim Wright to make the TE position dominant. Brown is a real Wilfork replacement, and Hunter is perhaps my favorite DE prospect for the Pats (or co-favorite, along with Bud Dupree).

Similarly, I like Matias, but I'm not sure I like him better than Jarvis Harrison, or than some of the trade-up options. Jake Fisher at 75 and Buckner at 79 are tempting.

If I were to redo this based on BVA, I'd probably go with:

1. TJ Clemmings - OL - Pittsburgh. 4 position player who can start at LG and become a franchise LT.
*** Trade: Trade 62 and TB's 4th to move up in the 2nd round.
2. Maxx Williams - TE - Minnesota. Far better than ASJ. Gronk+Williams will be unstoppable. A 1st round talent in the late 2nd is too good to pass up.
3. Omagabwe Odighizuwa - DE - UCLA. I don't think he'll be available anywhere near this late, but in this mock he is. Too good to pass up here.
3 (comp). Jarvis Harrison - OL - Texas A&M. Tackle/guard hybrid. Or Matias, if still available.
4. Jaquiski Tartt - S - Samford, Durrelle Eskridge - S - Syracuse or Tony Lippett - WR/DB - Michigan St.
6 (from TB). Terry Williams - DT - East Carolina. Has the upside to be a Wilfork successor.
6 (comp). DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech. Day 2 prospect under the radar and with an ACL tear.
7 (from Tenn). BPA.

I somehow think Manx may be ok with this draft. :D I don't see some of these guys being available at those spots, but if that's the way it played out, it would be too good to pass up.

I think the take away message for me is that there will be some good players who slip through the cracks under any scenario, and the Pats have enough ammo to move around and move up if someone warrants it.

I would sell everything for that draft.

Love Maxx Williams but whether there's a vacancy on this team for him is another matter. I suppose you replace Wright as a TE and then just play Wright as a big WR, replacing Dobson or Tyms on the roster. I wonder whether he declares but I do think Williams gets us close to those AHern days again.

I wonder if McDaniels wants a two-te offense. In 07 we acquired Stallworth, Welker and then Moss. Lafell looks good as that big outside the numbers wr, Edelman a similiar but not identical Welker type. Would a faster, stretch the field type be more desirable?

I would sell everything for that draft.

I thought you would like that one, Manx.

I don't think Clemmings will be within range, and I'm not at all sure Maxx Williams will come out. But hard to argue with the value here if they did and it fell that way. Similarly, for some reason they overlooked Odighizuwa in the first 3 rounds (Hardison too, but he's still under the radar a bit). I doubt he'll last that long, but again, hard to argue with the value if he did.

Love Maxx Williams but whether there's a vacancy on this team for him is another matter. I suppose you replace Wright as a TE and then just play Wright as a big WR, replacing Dobson or Tyms on the roster. I wonder whether he declares but I do think Williams gets us close to those AHern days again.

I wonder if McDaniels wants a two-te offense. In 07 we acquired Stallworth, Welker and then Moss. Lafell looks good as that big outside the numbers wr, Edelman a similiar but not identical Welker type. Would a faster, stretch the field type be more desirable?

If you believe that Maxx Williams is an exceptional TE prospect then he is absurd value at that spot in the draft. Having a true backup to Gronk is vitally important, and being able to run jumbo sets with 2 true blocking/receiving threats gives tremendous versatility. JMD may not be 100% sold, but I'm pretty sure BB is. Tim Wright could still be used as a hybrid move TE/split end.

Again, this is just an exercise. But when push came to shove and I looked at trade up options the way this particular draft fell - Maxx Williams vs. Malcolm Brown vs. Cam Erving vs. Danielle Hunter - I could see the Pats falling in love with any one of them. I chose Williams because of the importance of the TE position, and because he's so much farther ahead of anyone else at his position. There are plenty of other OL and DL prospects, but very few TEs with Williams' potential.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back