PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

Just noticed that Anthony Chickillo and Rob Ninkovich are very similar athletically. I wouldn't dismiss Chickillo as a potential draft pick - plays good assignment-sound football.

Chickrillo looked great in Shrine game as a 4-3 end. Haven't seen a lot of Miami tape. They said he was mis-cast as a 3-4 OLB. That second pick in the 4th might be a good spot for him.

I respect the crap out of your analysis Mayo but I have a really hard time getting my head around Valles lack of arm length, 3 cone time and 40. I just can't see how he can create separation at the NFL level with those numbers. 315 lbs. tackles with 35 inch arm are going to swallow him whole.

Anyway I was curious what you guys thought about Ryan Russell out of Purdue. Like Valles would be more of a day 3 project. His numbers are good but not great. He has experience at 3-4 and 4-3 and seems real solid at the point of attack from what Ive seen and Purdue has a pretty impressive track record.

http://mockdraftable.com/player/4891/

If a DE was available with these numbers alone what round would you consider drafting him??

• Height: 6' 5⅛"
  • Weight: 255
  • Arm Length: 34"
  • Hand Size: 9⅞"
  • 10 Yard Dash: 1.59
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.78
  • Bench Press: 22
  • Vertical Jump: 33"
  • Broad Jump: 113"
  • 3 Cone Drill: 6.91
  • 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.44
  • Agility Score: 11.3

If a DE was available with these numbers alone what round would you consider drafting him??

Tape is more important to me than measurables, so it's hard to say based on just that.

7th round perhaps? :)

Obviously tape is the main issue, but those are the type of numbers I'd find acceptable on a late 2nd or 3rd round prospect. It's only the slowish forty and lowish vertical jump that concern me. Everything else is first round worthy.

I didn't realise his 10 yard split was that good.

I respect the crap out of your analysis Mayo but I have a really hard time getting my head around Valles lack of arm length, 3 cone time and 40. I just can't see how he can create separation at the NFL level with those numbers. 315 lbs. tackles with 35 inch arm are going to swallow him whole.

It's certainly possible that I am wrong, but I'm sticking with Valles for now based on his film.

The arm length doesn't concern me that much. Dont'a Hightower has 32 5/8" arms (same as Valles). Akeem Ayers' arm length was marginally longer at 33". Neither seems to suffer much from it.

The 40 time doesn't really concern me. Apparently a lot of it is due to technical issues with running the 40, and I think that it may not be a genuine reflection of Valles' playing speed. Some guys run a slow 40 but play fast.

The 3-cone sucks, and is a concern. I would check out Valles with a private workout to see if he has the necessary agility.

Again, I could just be way off base.

Chickrillo looked great in Shrine game as a 4-3 end. Haven't seen a lot of Miami tape. They said he was mis-cast as a 3-4 OLB. That second pick in the 4th might be a good spot for him.

Chickillo does seem like a great fit for LDE depth. (Who's Nink's backup as of now? Zach Moore?)

Obviously tape is the main issue, but those are the type of numbers I'd find acceptable on a late 2nd or 3rd round prospect. It's only the slowish forty and lowish vertical jump that concern me. Everything else is first round worthy.

That actually is Mike Buchanan. I was curious to seewhat you guys thought about him based on athleticism alone.

Chickillo does seem like a great fit for LDE depth. (Who's Nink's backup as of now? Zach Moore?)

Ninko doesn't need a backup, he had 28 snaps off between weeks 2-17... pretty incredible

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../4775456/patriots-defensive-snaps-2014-season

"When considering that Ninkovich was a part-time player in the season-opener (35 of 74 snaps), his playing-time total shows how he quickly became a full-time player after that point, which was perhaps a recognition by the coaching staff of a flawed game-plan in Week 1. Ninkovich played all but 28 snaps in Weeks 2-17, getting a late two-snap breather in a blowout loss to the Chiefs, a late nine-snap breather in the blowout win over the Bears, and a late 17-snap breather in the season finale, when the Patriots' playoff positioning was already solidified. ..."

I think finding a young guy to be a ninko backup is going to be pretty essential. It's hard to use this season as a measuring stick going forward, since mayo getting injured moved the linebackers in to more set roles, and chandler Buchanan and Moore missing chunks to full seasons worth of games.

Ninko being so durable has been an incredible gift over the past few seasons, but I hesitate to think we should count on that continuing. Also, he is getting close to the vrabel time clock for age, and would think the team won't wait so long to find a replacement in house this time.

That actually is Mike Buchanan. I was curious to seewhat you guys thought about him based on athleticism alone.

That was a bit fascinating, but what is your point ? Not trying to be snarky, I am really interested what your point is..

No problem I really didn't have a great point. I got sucked into the worm hole that is mock draftable's measurables webs and was surprised how impressive Buchanan's numbers actually were. I just wanted to see based on numbers alone where a prospect of his caliber would land. Clearly Buchanan (had/has?) baggage that effected his actual stock.

Manx, just wanted to congratulate you on Tre McBride. Just saw Jeremiah tweeting about how he is intrigued by Tre. Great and early call..

Hope he lands with us..

Manx, just wanted to congratulate you on Tre McBride. Just saw Jeremiah tweeting about how he is intrigued by Tre. Great and early call..

Hope he lands with us..

Thanks. If we get he and Smelter I'd be thrilled.

A good ranking of most of the DTs in the draft:

http://draftbreakdown.com/joe-marinos-defensive-tackle-rankings-for-the-2015-nfl-draft/

Hardison gets a 2nd round grade:

7. Marcus Hardison, Arizona State – This is the best player in the draft that nobody is talking about. Outstanding size and athleticism with great production. Upside galore as a pass rusher with an array of moves, burst, get off and hand technique to pressure the quarterback. Can stand to improve a bit against the run but he is no liability in that area.

Nobody. Really?

And my two favourite long shots:

20. Leterrius Walton, Central Michigan – Well put together prospect with a terrific frame. Moves very well for his size. Has great burst off the ball and can disrupt. Converted offensive lineman still learning the nuances of the position. Great motor and versatile to play all along the line in odd or even fronts. Run stuffing is where he wins but talent is there to develop pass rush.

23. Rakeem Nunez-Rochez, Southern Miss – Effort is consistently outstanding, plays like his hair is on fire. He is a gap shooter but lacks ideal balance and strength to maintain his gap integrity. Hand usage and overall technique need work but he has the athleticism and motor to make him interesting.

Really good breakdown. I don't agree with all of it (I think he ranks Carl Davis too high), but it's one of the better DT breakdowns that I've seen. Thanks for posting the link.

Oh, and I think he overrates Hardison. Day 3 pick at the best. Development prospect. o_O

Shhhhhhhhh.

If Davis plays up to what he can be, he's my no2 DT in the whole draft after Williams. That's a big "if" though. But there's no denying, he was dominant at the Senior Bowl and flashes what made him dominant on tape.

Leterrius Walton is really intriguing. EVERY report I've seen says that he's only going to get better. I just wish there was more tape.

If Davis plays up to what he can be, he's my no2 DT in the whole draft after Williams. That's a big "if" though. But there's no denying, he was dominant at the Senior Bowl and flashes what made him dominant on tape.

Leterrius Walton is really intriguing. EVERY report I've seen says that he's only going to get better. I just wish there was more tape.

Walton is definitely intriguing.

You may be right on Carl Davis, but I'm just not sold. Sedrick Ellis had a dominant Senior Bowl, too. Davis' tape and work ethic reports scare the hell out of me. Again, you may be right, but I'm just not going down that path, personally.

Walton is definitely intriguing.

You may be right on Carl Davis, but I'm just not sold. Sedrick Ellis had a dominant Senior Bowl, too. Davis' tape and work ethic reports scare the hell out of me. Again, you may be right, but I'm just not going down that path, personally.

I too am concerned about his work ethic but that's not something we can get any reasonable information on - the team obviously will be better informed. I just think he has the best combination of quickness/strength of any of the DTs projected in the top 64 except for Williams and Hardison (who is more quick than strong).

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back