PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

What are guys thoughts on Marcus Peters if he gets far enough to be in range of the Pats?
Don't want him in NE, personally find him extremely overrated, has nothing to do with his off field allegations either just not a huge fan, Waynes and Collins are by far better and maybe some others

Agreed. There are lots of big CBs who should be available on day 3 who could have some long term upside: Josh Shaw, Ladarius Gunter, Eric Rowe, Nick Marshall, Damian Swann, Byron Jones.

I'd love to see Swann in NE, what a steal he'll be, he'll definitely move up boars by then, so physical and athletic, has a lot of potential, I'm a huge Dennard fan but wouldn't mind seeing a younger, less troubled, better leader in Swann take over

Oregon State's Steven Nelson really reminds me of Dennard.

Another tidbit on Todd Gurley. Matt Miller tweeted out a site that lists players date of births whom are going to be at the combine. Gurley's is 8/3/94. Still not old enough to have a beer.

http://rotoviz.com/2015/01/amari-co...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Just to give you an idea and a comparision. I live in an area where some schools are batshiat cray cray about high school football. If someone has a birthday in August. They usually won't start them in school until they are 6. Not 5. Then, upon completion of 8th grade. The, the student repeat that grade. They are 19 playing their senior year of high school football. I believe the cut-off date is 7/15. As long as you turn 19 after that day. You're ok to play. They've had kids drive to their first freshman practice!! Gurley could have played 2 more years of high school. Had he wanted.

Daniel Jeremiah has his latest top 50 out.

http://www.nfl.com/top50

Personally I'd be trying to get Bud Dupree at 27 or La'el Collins at 30 in this scenario and be thrilled at being able to get either.

Alternatively I'd be trading back for Jordan Phillips, Cam Erving, Maxx Williams, Carl Davis (41-44 respectively) or Odighizuwa at 49.

Of note, DJ Humphries is at 18, Oerriman is at 33, Byron Jones is at 50, Todd Gurley at 13 and Arik Armstead at 10.

Daniel Jeremiah has his latest top 50 out.

http://www.nfl.com/top50

Personally I'd be trying to get Bud Dupree at 27 or La'el Collins at 30 in this scenario and be thrilled at being able to get either.

Alternatively I'd be trading back for Jordan Phillips, Cam Erving, Maxx Williams, Carl Davis (41-44 respectively) or Odighizuwa at 49.

Of note, DJ Humphries is at 18, Oerriman is at 33, Byron Jones is at 50, Todd Gurley at 13 and Arik Armstead at 10.

I love DJ Humphries and think he could be the best OT in this draft, but I'm a little surprised he's getting this much love before the combine. I was expecting him to blow it up in Indy because he is an excellent athlete, but I'm glad people are seeing it in his tape too. I think he could be a Tyron Smith type LT if he can add some extra bulk.

I guess my dream draft of Owamagbe Odighizuwa, DJ Humphries and Ellis McCarthy is going to be dashed early in the process

I think they'd draft pj williams in that scenario.

I love DJ Humphries and think he could be the best OT in this draft, but I'm a little surprised he's getting this much love before the combine. I was expecting him to blow it up in Indy because he is an excellent athlete, but I'm glad people are seeing it in his tape too. I think he could be a Tyron Smith type LT if he can add some extra bulk.

I guess my dream draft of Owamagbe Odighizuwa, DJ Humphries and Ellis McCarthy is going to be dashed early in the process

Certainly DJ calls him the best LT in the draft. His weight will be important. If he comes in over 300 he'll be fine but if he's closer to 288, then he might fall.

Using your three positions as a guide, if I can get Dupree, Jake Fisher and Hardison then I'd be thrilled. I love Odighizuwa but there's too much crossover with Hardison.

Using your three positions as a guide, if I can get Dupree, Jake Fisher and Hardison then I'd be thrilled. I love Odighizuwa but there's too much crossover with Hardison.

Fisher, Ogbuehi or maybe Poutasi/Tomlinson a bit later. Many enticing possibilities to upgrade the OL. I am very calm and confident that Brady will have more time next season.

The rest I agree with.

I wonder if Tevin Coleman's stock will be affected a bit by him being unable to participate in the combine. Might bring him back into our reach later on day 2.

Frank Coyle's pre-Combine top 64 list is available on NFL DraftScout/CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-64-draft-prospects-williams-winston-two-best

Some really detailed writeup with some good stuff that hasn't been discussed on many prospects. Here are a few of my favorite reports:
14/4. T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh, 6-5, 307, 5.14, 1
At this point, Clemmings' ratings as a pro prospect are based almost entirely on projection, not production. Per his mother's wishes, Clemmings didn't play football until his junior year in high school. That was enough to earn a scholarship at Pittsburgh, although as a defensive end. He moved to the offensive line for the first time near the end of the 2012 season. Clemmings can be impressive on most of the individual steps required at tackle, but he has not yet learned the whole dance. He has a broad build and the pre-requisite long arms (34 7/8th inches) and nimble feet expected at left tackle. He is still in mid-learning curve as a pass blocker, which was obvious when he was victimized at the Senior Bowl practices by moves and countermoves that left him lunging the wrong way.

17/3. Alvin Dupree, DE, Kentucky, 6-4, 267, 4.63, 1
For the team looking for an athletic, versatile, productive, consistent player, this Bud's for you. Dupree, a respected leader on and off the field who answers to the simple nickname Bud, leaves Kentucky after mauling offenses with 247 tackles, four forced fumbles, five passes defensed and a total of 23.5 sacks that is second best in school history. His overall athletic ability was obvious in high school, where he was better known for his play at tight end and a basketball star who led Irwinton's Wilkinson County High to a Class A Georgia State championship. When he funneled all his energy into one sport at Kentucky, Dupree became a special player whose varied abilities should be valuable in the NFL, where he can be a dangerous pass rusher and even drop into coverage. He has quick feet and hands and is best at eluding, rather than confronting, blockers. Dupree added 15 pounds of muscle in college and can use even more to help improve his ability to disengage.

23/4. *Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma, 6-6, 334, 5.34, 1
Phillips is a huge -- very huge -- gamble who can be a bad man on the football field, and define that any way you want. This enormous athlete shows great strength, quick feet, violent hands and the ability to drop low and use up two blockers almost with ease. But just as often, Phillips gave little or no effort in college, probably the most obvious concern on his resume. So the NFL team that takes Phillips will do so on his projection, not production. A four- and five-star recruit out of Circle High School in Towanda, Kansas, Phillips had a slow start at Oklahoma. He redshirted in 2011 and served as a backup in 2012. He became a starter in 2013, but after four games required surgery for multiple problems with his back. So, not counting the 68 tackles and eight sacks he had as a high-school senior, Phillips' only decent year was 2014 when he managed 39 tackles, seven for a loss and two sacks. He seems to have the athletic ability to become a big, big star in the underwear Olympics part of the combine. But teams will focus more on his character in interviews and medical reports on that surgically-repaired back.

26/6. Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State, 6-5, 308, 5.16, 1-2
Erving expands the definition of versatility. After redshirting in 2010 with back problems and doing fairly well as a defensive lineman in 2011, Ervin found his calling in the spring of 2012. He was moved to offensive tackle because the team needed somebody to protect quarterback EJ Manuel's blind side, which Erving did surprisingly well. After earning numerous honors in 2013 protecting quarterback Jameis Winston, Erving considered the draft but returned for one more season, and one more position when he was needed as a center in a November comeback victory over Miami. Erving is above average in most areas, but has potential to be his quarterback's keeper in the NFL.

30/5. *Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State, 6-3, 320, 5.28, 1-2
Goldman appears to be a natural disaster for offenses when he lines up his broad, 320-pound body on the inside. But he had to settle for serving time as an end in 2013 on a talent-laden defense that ranked first in the nation, yielding 12.1 points per game. The experience served him well and may have improved his quickness and range. As a tackle, Goldman's powerful legs and lower body allow him to collapse the pocket and prevent quarterbacks from stepping up. Although he was suspended for the Bethune-Cookman game in 2013 for violating team rules he is not considered a problem player.

45/1. A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina, 6-3, 311, 5.18, 2
This brutish bull of a man, or bullish brute of a man if you prefer, was a cornerstone on the South Carolina front line and played in all but one game since his redshirt freshman year in 2011. By last season he was the unquestioned leader of the offensive line and was named first-team All-America by The Sporting News, ESPN.com and CBS Sports. His 51 starts are the second most in school history behind only T.J. Johnson's 53. In structure and attitude, Cann is best suited for sheer power and should not be expected to waste all that power in a zone-blocking scheme that requires more footwork than force. Still, he does need to improve his ability to play on the run to round out his game.

55/7. *Mario Edwards, DE, Florida State, 6-3, 294, 4.88, 2
Since his first start in the 2012 ACC championship game when he replaced an injured Tank Carradine at right end, Edwards demonstrated an impressive combination of athleticism, strength and instincts that enabled him to be a force both as an edge-setter against the run, and a power rusher who can threaten the pocket inside or out against the pass. Per NFLDraftScout.com analysis, Edward "utilizes long arms and strong hands to keep blockers out of his frame, and does a good job of maintaining vision, awareness and patience when engaged with taller opponents," but adds that "Edwards will need to improve in his snap count anticipation. ... and he's frequently the last lineman off the ball." Edwards, who had 23 tackles and three sacks last season, is a Jr., in the sense that his father of the same name was a cornerback at FSU and in the NFL.

57/3. *Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State, 6-4, 249, 4.58, 2
A two-way starter at Rosa Fort High School (Tunica, Miss.), McKinney was a prolific quarterback who accounted for 2,036 total yards and 22 touchdowns as a senior. Still, high school coaches knew linebacker was his best position and selected him to play defense in the North/South All-Star game. After redshirting one year at Mississippi State, McKinney left no doubts what position he should play when his 102 tackles at inside linebacker were the second highest total in the nation for a freshman. Coaches are impressed with McKinney's football character and intelligence and he is a natural leader on the field. He should be more versatile than many inside linebackers with measurable athletic ability that includes a 40-yard time in the mid 4.5-second range and a 34-inch vertical jump. Although that speed and range gets him within reach of a lot of plays, he needs to learn to use his hands to fend off blockers and finish more plays.

60/6. *Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana, 6-0, 210, 4.59, 2
Coleman displayed athleticism to spare at Oak Forest High School where he spread the wealth as a dynamic running back, wide receiver, cornerback, kick and punt returner and was a champion long-jumper (23-feet, 0.25 inches). Not bad for a kid born three months early and given only a 20 percent chance to live. Coleman is a rare combination of wild athletic ability and religious leader who is so solidly grounded his nickname is Rock. As a junior at Indiana last year, Coleman became the 18th player in FBS history to reach 2,000 rushing yards in a single season (2,036) and his 7.5 average per carry is the fifth-highest among those 18 2k rushers. Except for lacking impressive power and a problem with fumbling, Coleman is exceptional at all tasks required of a running back. Dane Brugler of NFLDraftScout.com compares Coleman to Dallas Cowboys star DeMarco Murray in terms of body type, running style, toughness and home-run ability.

62/8. *Xavier Cooper, DT, Washington State, 6-4, 298, 5.02, 2
Before becoming a success story at football and earning a degree in criminal justice, Cooper had to overcome a significant learning disability that was diagnosed when he was in the ninth grade at Tacoma's Wilson High School. It was a traumatic discovery that impacted not only Xavier, but befuddled parents who both had Masters degrees, school teachers and coaches in high school and Washington State. In fact, even his amazing ascent to stardom as a football player takes a back seat to how he overcame an inability that almost led to his dropping out of school, where he was placed in classes he didn't want to attend. Football became the one thing that encouraged him to stay engaged and by his junior year he was attracting attention from Pac-12 schools. He was so far behind academically, however, it appeared junior college would be his only option until Washington State assistant coach Mike Levenseller arranged a so-called grayshirt year that allowed Cooper to delay his enrollment so he could catch up in class, then begin college in 2011. The rest was just football, which he obviously handled well enough to be projected as a second-round draft pick.

Nice breakdown of Owamagbe Odighizuwa from Matt Waldman and John Owning of NFL Draft Breakdown:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/02/20/rsp-film-room-no-29-ucla-de-owamagbe-odighizuwa/

Compares him to Justin Tuck, and calls him a potential day 1 prospect, both of which seem reasonable. Plus another potential nickname for "Diggy" "The Human Vowel": "Godzilla".

I'm in the middle of watching it. I recommend it to everyone - you get a real sense of how good Obdighizuwa is in the areas he wins (hands, strength). It's over an hour long but is incredibly detailed.

I'm in the middle of watching it. I recommend it to everyone - you get a real sense of how good Obdighizuwa is in the areas he wins (hands, strength). It's over an hour long but is incredibly detailed.

Odighizuwa would be an interesting pick at 32, or with a slight trade down, as the long term successor to Rob Ninkovich opposite Chandler Jones. Assuming his hip fully checks out (which he claims was the case), hard to fault that value.

Odighizuwa would be an interesting pick at 32, or with a slight trade down, as the long term successor to Rob Ninkovich opposite Chandler Jones. Assuming his hip fully checks out (which he claims was the case), hard to fault that value.

Agreed. Aside from his ability to bend around the edge which I recognise is an issue, his hands and his strength are so good. They show the Virginia game in the first half of the video and he's disrupting on more than 50% of the plays. And the thing with Diggy is that he's so good with technique. He uses the force of his whole body to push linemen and uses his 11" hands like clubs. He also never gets locked on to the lineman. Always keeps separation with his arms. He might never be a flashy pass rusher but he will lock down the left hand side of a defense on running plays and will offer pass rush both outside and in.

Agreed. Aside from his ability to bend around the edge which I recognise is an issue, his hands and his strength are so good. They show the Virginia game in the first half of the video and he's disrupting on more than 50% of the plays. And the thing with Diggy is that he's so good with technique. He uses the force of his whole body to push linemen and uses his 11" hands like clubs. He also never gets locked on to the lineman. Always keeps separation with his arms. He might never be a flashy pass rusher but he will lock down the left hand side of a defense on running plays and will offer pass rush both outside and in.

His hand usage is what I like best about him.

I think he's a top 40 prospect, so he has to be in the conversation. I'm personally torn between him and Danielle Hunter, but Diggy is definitely the more ready prospect.

And yet another read on Davis Tull:

Davis Tull – Defensive End – Chattanooga

Height: 6 ft. 5 in. Weight: 240 lbs.

2012 Statistics: 56 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles

Last season’s Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year, Tull lines up on the left side of the Mocs 4-3 defense, and he wreaks havoc in the opponent’s backfield. Tull has great football experience and instincts, which allows him to sniff out a play as it is developing, leading to tackles, sacks and forced fumbles. Even when the ball-carrier gets to the second level, Tull is good enough athletically to catch them from behind. What will make him especially appealing to NFL teams is his ability to identify the read option and to contain it properly. Tull shines when it comes to the technicalities of his position, using his hands and proper leverage in order to get by offensive tackles.

The Knoxville, Tenn. product must gain more weight if he wants to make an impact at the next level. Two hundred forty pounds is acceptable for a 3-4 outside linebacker, but Tull fits best on the defensive line, where technique is valued more than pure speed. If his production stays at its current level, Tull should at least stick on a roster as a special-teamer and a rotational pass rusher. In the meantime, he’ll just have to chase after more helpless quarterbacks.

http://www.elonpendulum.com/2013/07/6-players-on-elons-schedule-who-have-a-shot-at-the-nfl/

@patchick

Come on, what's your current thinking for the draft. Honest, we won't hold you to it.

@patchick

Come on, what's your current thinking for the draft. Honest, we won't hold you to it.

She'll post a mock 5 minutes before the actual draft, after we've done the heavy lifting. Then (as usual) she'll have the most accurate draft on the board. :D

Last edited:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back