PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

I think Winston throws better from the prospect than any prospect since Luck. Off-field concerns a worry. But, Mariota and Hundley rely on their feet to get them out of trouble. Jameis can get rid of the ball like a pro QB has to do. Off-field concerns have to factor in though.

Quinten Rollins has two interceptions tonight for seven on the season.

Noah Spence - DE - Ohio St. He was suspended this past summer for failing a drug test. His second one. The Big 10 has a 2 strikes and you're done rule. He could have transferred. But, announced he's declaring for the draft. Really curious to see his workouts. He was a very highly rated recruit. Played a little as a frosh. Looked real good last year as a soph. If we go OL and DT in Rounds 1 and 2. Would have to consider him in that bunch of picks from 96-105? The drug is supposedly ecstasy. Not a bad kid. I followed his recruiting. He's from Harrisburg, Pa. Obviously, has a drug problem. But, sounds like one which can be overcome. Though, I'm no expert on overcoming drugs. Yuengling Lager is my drug of choice:)

Noah Spence - DE - Ohio St. He was suspended this past summer for failing a drug test. His second one. The Big 10 has a 2 strikes and you're done rule. He could have transferred. But, announced he's declaring for the draft. Really curious to see his workouts. He was a very highly rated recruit. Played a little as a frosh. Looked real good last year as a soph. If we go OL and DT in Rounds 1 and 2. Would have to consider him in that bunch of picks from 96-105? The drug is supposedly ecstasy. Not a bad kid. I followed his recruiting. He's from Harrisburg, Pa. Obviously, has a drug problem. But, sounds like one which can be overcome. Though, I'm no expert on overcoming drugs. Yuengling Lager is my drug of choice:)

Lots of athleticism and upside, but aside from the off-field issues I'm not sure his game is developed enough to interest BB. IIRC, he was pretty unpolished as a rusher, and relied mainly on his athleticism. I don't know much about him, but I wonder whether he has the discipline and smarts to play in a BB system. But he's an interesting addition to the 2015 draft, for sure.

Lots of athleticism and upside, but aside from the off-field issues I'm not sure his game is developed enough to interest BB. IIRC, he was pretty unpolished as a rusher, and relied mainly on his athleticism. I don't know much about him, but I wonder whether he has the discipline and smarts to play in a BB system. But he's an interesting addition to the 2015 draft, for sure.

Mel Kiper on Spence earlier this season, before getting suspended for the 2nd time:

"Tied for the team lead in sacks last season as a sophomore, Spence is a player the coaching staff would line up all over the field, looking to exploit his quickness and ability to beat blockers. He's too reliant on quickness at this point and can get eaten up by blockers, so he'll need to find ways to create space beyond pure athleticism."

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Ohio-States-Noah-Spence-No-22-on-Mel-Kipers-Big-Board-31081699

I'm a bit leary of guys who rely too much on athleticism and don't have the combat skills and technique. Spence could end up being a stud, but it will probably take a year or two IF he has the necessary work ethic, drive, and intelligence. And that's assuming he can put his off-field issues behind him. Very long shot, with high upside.

I don't think the sophomore film on many defensive linemen is very good. I won't hold that against him. You can learn technique. If you're willing to work. Off-field concerns will make him drop. He's prob a Top 25 talent you can get around 100. Some teams can't afford to gamble. We probably can.

Guillemette from GBN with reports on some board binkies like; Scherff, Coleman, Perryman and Erving. Also discusses Shaq Riddick DE - WVU who caught my eye in a couple of WVU games earlier in the year. They played a tough sked; Bama, TCU, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma and K-St.

http://www.gbnreport.com/paulspage.html

Guillemette from GBN with reports on some board binkies like; Scherff, Coleman, Perryman and Erving. Also discusses Shaq Riddick DE - WVU who caught my eye in a couple of WVU games earlier in the year. They played a tough sked; Bama, TCU, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma and K-St.

http://www.gbnreport.com/paulspage.html

Lol. He refers to Cam Erving as "Fleming".

I'd be fine with Erving in the late 2nd round. Good prospect, and good value there.

Does anybody wonder why Tim wright doesn't have more receiving yards? Do they only use him on goal line situations cause i really think he could be an asset with his speed.

Cause I was thinking if we can get funchess I think that would make the offense a nightmare to defend.

Does anybody wonder why Tim wright doesn't have more receiving yards? Do they only use him on goal line situations cause i really think he could be an asset with his speed.

Cause I was thinking if we can get funchess I think that would make the offense a nightmare to defend.

The offense is already a nightmare to defend. 39.6 PPG over the past 7 games, via several different approaches.

I personally think that Wright ' s usage is a combination of (1) lots of weapons (4 players currently on track for 1000+ yards from scrimmage), (2) game - specific planning and matchups, and (3) BB not wanting to show all his cards.

Since when has 6'3 3/8" been considered short?

This keeps making me think of colt Lyerla.

This keeps making me think of colt Lyerla.

There are tons of college players who get by on their athleticism and who are undisciplined, which often is reflected in off-field issues. Lyerla was an extreme case. The talent is always enticing, but you have to ask what the chance is that the player has the work ethic, drive, discipline and intelligence to develop himself as a pro. As we've seen so many times, raw talent is only about 1% of what it takes.

Interesting that the writer at gbn zeroed in on scherff's arm length.

I have seen Erving okay several times over the past two seasons and i am passing on him. He looks like more of a waist bender than a natural knee bender

UCLA LB Eric Kendricks is getting a lot of 1st round love. Matt Miller and Josh Norris both see him as a 1st round prospect, among others.

Sammie Coates, who is blowing up the iron Bowl in the first half has a reported 4.25 average in the forty (hand-timed though so more likely in the 4.3s) and a 44" vert. He's an average receiver in terms of all round skills but an outstanding deep ball threat. he's also 6'2" and 210lbs.

I think Winston throws better from the prospect than any prospect since Luck. Off-field concerns a worry. But, Mariota and Hundley rely on their feet to get them out of trouble. Jameis can get rid of the ball like a pro QB has to do. Off-field concerns have to factor in though.
Winston also throws four picks against inferior competition. He's a terrible decision maker, and if he doesn't clean that aspect of his game up, he'll be out of the league quickly. He's more polished than Mariota, but if Mariota sits out for the first eight games of his rookie season he will be better than Winston in the long run.

Wright's targets/touchdowns ratio is positively Vrabelesque. :)

His hands are clearly solid...perhaps he's just not getting open as easily in plays outside the 10? Maybe some work to be done in route-running?

Amari Cooper is just unreal

I wish we could somehow draft him

Amari Cooper is just unreal

I wish we could somehow draft him
The Jets will draft him, and then trade up for Mariota after he slips!

One can dream right?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back