PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

Thanks for the links. I'm pretty familiar with those sites. I really wanted to gauge who Pats' fans were rooting for.

DL and OL seem like the clear areas of focus. Shawn Oakman (likely out of reach), Dante Fowler and Bud Dupree are my top 3 DEs. Not sure about DTs (I prefer to go DE) but Malcolm Brown, Eddie Goldman and Danny Shelton are all interesting - big guys, but more than just space eaters. This is a deep draft for tackle-guard prospects, and Brandon Scherff and TJ Clemmings look like the most impressive ones right now. There are a few other guys who I like a lot of who don't into those main groups (DE/DT Arik Amstead, LB Bernardrick McKinney). A lot of people have been on the RB bandwagon, but that is being re-assessed at the moment.

Compare:

Player A

DT
6-1, 323
Broad Jump - 8'5"
S Shuttle - 4.5
3-Cone - 7.62

Player B
(These are unofficial numbers)

DT
6-1, 353
Broad - 8.45
S Shuttle - 4.39
3-Cone - 7.28

Disclaimer: I realise that those numbers are unofficial, incomplete and far from a complete picture of how someone plays but Player A is Vince Wilfork and Player B is ECU's Terry Williams (and there's some Wilfork to his tape). I just thought the contrast was interesting. Having said that, a 7.28 3-cone is hard to believe at that size (numbers from his official roster page). Looking at combine history, the only DT over 320lbs and a sub 7.50 3-cone is Michael Brockers (7.41).

Terry Williams has plenty of other problems including drug arrests and two suspensions but it's worth keeping those athleticism numbers in the back of your mind when we get to the draft season proper because I suspect he'll be the only one at that size that will come close to matching Big Vince's short area quickness.

http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/terry_williams_667045.html

I don't view Silega and Jones as starters. If you wait until VW leaves to get his replacement, you waited too long.

Could say the same thing about DE. We have Chandler, Ninko, Moore and Buchanan under contract. I don't view Buchanan and Moore as starters either. 2015 won't be Ninko's last year.
If the New England Patriots ignore the offensive line in the first two rounds of the 2015 NFL Draft, I will blow a gasket.

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/blow a gasket.html

Last edited:
I don't think there are room for 7+ rookies and I don't want to see rookies with potential being released just like happened this year with Gallon and Jemea Thomas.

My point, having another good off-season signing our own players, this is a draft to trade up.

"Not having room for all the rookies" is often offered as an argument for packaging picks and trading up, but I'm not persuaded.

First off, the point of drafting 7 players isn't to make room for 7 rookies on your roster, it's to have 7 chances at finding good players. Second, if the quality of your roster gives you draft flexibility, you get a lot more bang for your buck by trading into the future. That's the one proven way to actually gain draft capital, gaining a round's value. Third, there are guaranteed to be positions we consider set that BB & co. see differently (see: Mankins, Logan).

"Not having room for all the rookies" is often offered as an argument for packaging picks and trading up, but I'm not persuaded.

First off, the point of drafting 7 players isn't to make room for 7 rookies on your roster, it's to have 7 chances at finding good players. Second, if the quality of your roster gives you draft flexibility, you get a lot more bang for your buck by trading into the future. That's the one proven way to actually gain draft capital, gaining a round's value. Third, there are guaranteed to be positions we consider set that BB & co. see differently (see: Mankins, Logan).

If there's a reason to trade up, you trade up. But not because there "isn't enough room". There's always room to upgrade the roster. If the rookies outperform their competition, I'm sure BB won't be disappointed. It's a meritocracy.

Peter King linked Andy Staples big board. Has a top 48. 4 Noles in Top 13; Jameis, Goldman, Edwards and Rashard Green(C'mon man. Nice player but geez). Malcolm Brown in there at 16. No sign of current binky Clemmings. Has Oakman down to 37. I'll give it a meh.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/19/2015-nfl-draft-big-board-marcus-mariota/

Charlie Campbell of Walter Football reports a lot of GMs don't like Oakman, and thinks he will end up as a day 2 pick:

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

I don't see it, personally. I'd be happy to take him at 32 (as is the case in Walter Football's latest mock). Like Jamie Collins, he will need some good coaching. But there's too much that you can't teach.

Charlie Campbell of Walter Football reports a lot of GMs don't like Oakman, and thinks he will end up as a day 2 pick:

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

I don't see it, personally. I'd be happy to take him at 32 (as is the case in Walter Football's latest mock). Like Jamie Collins, he will need some good coaching. But there's too much that you can't teach.

I'm really baffled why he plays RDE. I'd have Oakman at LDE and move him inside for nickel. Have him try to knock passes down and affect the qb's throwing lanes. That's where Dallas had Too Tall Jones back in the day. Here's a good article Brugler has on Johnson. Day 3 prospect at rb. If he can run a 4.4 with a 40inch vert. That early 4th from TB might be a good spot for a rb and him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...t-the-prospect-northern-iowa-rb-david-johnson

I'm really baffled why he plays RDE. I'd have Oakman at LDE and move him inside for nickel. Have him try to knock passes down and affect the qb's throwing lanes. That's where Dallas had Too Tall Jones back in the day.

That's exactly how I see him.

I see Dante Fowler and Bud Dupree being more versatile and more useful in sub, but I still like Oakman a ton, and would be happy to have him. He and Chandler Jones could be a very potent combination.

What do you guys think of dorial green-beckam? Obviously if he checks out off the field. He's a big receiver, very talented, and was in competition in the beginning of the season with amari cooper for top WR in the class.

Cause I was thinkin maybe bud Dupree with our first pick(if available) the green- beckam in the second?

Putting aside the fact that funchess is my favorite player in the draft and there is no need for him right now.

What do you guys think of dorial green-beckam? Obviously if he checks out off the field. He's a big receiver, very talented, and was in competition in the beginning of the season with amari cooper for top WR in the class.

Cause I was thinkin maybe bud Dupree with our first pick(if available) the green- beckam in the second?

Putting aside the fact that funchess is my favorite player in the draft and there is no need for him right now.

Personally, I want to focus on the lines in the first 2 rounds, so I wouldn't go WR unless one was so far superior to other prospects that I couldn't pass. Given all his baggage, I'm not sure Green-Beckham would reach that threshold.

The reason I have DT higher than DE on my list is because I think we'll bring Mayo back on a reduced contract. The 4-2-5 is really your base defense. He'll play one of the lb spots. Prob along with Hightower who has excelled this year. I see Jamie Collins playing more of Ninko's role going forward. A jack of all trades. Not saying it wouldn't hurt to get another pass rusher. Might be more of a situational player than a full time. Plus, rookie DT's are hardly ever ready to contribute. I'd like to get VW's replacement in this draft. Giving him a year to learn the system and get bigger and stronger. Before assuming a starter's role.

Of Hightower & Collins, I view Hightower being better-suited to playing more of Ninko's role.
Collins is way, way more athletic in space, though I would also like to see him blitz a little more often.

Marcus Hardison had his second INT of the season and now has nine sacks. Has been an impact player this year.

Marcus Hardison had his second INT of the season and now has nine sacks. Has been an impact player this year.

Rob Rang on Hardison:

"While Foster was the flashiest of the Sun Devils on Saturday, Hardison was Arizona State's best player.

The 6-foot-4, 298-pound Hardison was rushed up the middle and on a variety of stunts to generate pressure on Falk, including on this sack and forced fumble after lining up as a DE. He showed burst, agility (including a spin-move) and strength to rip through blocks and to pull down ball carriers. Perhaps his most impressive play of the game, however, came when he dropped off the line to snag a quick slant from Falk with just over three minutes remaining in the first half.

Hardison showed not only impressive recognition and hands on the interception, but good overall athleticism, vision and balance in returning the ball to the 13-yard line. Arizona State scored two plays later to tie a game in which they had been outplayed. "

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...s-foster-hardison-show-nfl-skill-set?v=1&vc=1

Rob Rang on Hardison:

"While Foster was the flashiest of the Sun Devils on Saturday, Hardison was Arizona State's best player.

The 6-foot-4, 298-pound Hardison was rushed up the middle and on a variety of stunts to generate pressure on Falk, including on this sack and forced fumble after lining up as a DE. He showed burst, agility (including a spin-move) and strength to rip through blocks and to pull down ball carriers. Perhaps his most impressive play of the game, however, came when he dropped off the line to snag a quick slant from Falk with just over three minutes remaining in the first half.

Hardison showed not only impressive recognition and hands on the interception, but good overall athleticism, vision and balance in returning the ball to the 13-yard line. Arizona State scored two plays later to tie a game in which they had been outplayed. "

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...s-foster-hardison-show-nfl-skill-set?v=1&vc=1

Where/how would you see him fitting in to our defense? Who does he remind you of?

Where/how would you see him fitting in to our defense? Who does he remind you of?

I see him as a 4-3 LDE or 3-4 RDE. How he fits in our sub packages is another thing. Clearly he'd be a 3-tech but we have that in Easley and whether BB would put two less stout DTs next to each other in sub is another matter.

As for who he reminds me of, well I'm not great at player comps. A more sudden And athletic Stephon Tuitt perhaps?

I see him as a 4-3 LDE or 3-4 RDE. How he fits in our sub packages is another thing. Clearly he'd be a 3-tech but we have that in Easley and whether BB would put two less stout DTs next to each other in sub is another matter.

As for who he reminds me of, well I'm not great at player comps. A more sudden And athletic Stephon Tuitt perhaps?

Interesting. I'd been very high on exactly that kind of player for a while (Arik Amstead was my preferred guy), but with sub becoming more and more dominant I've been less focused on that role (which is why Armstead has dropped out of my mocks - I still like him). Food for thought, though. Thanks for highlighting him.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back