PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Practice Squad Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think many people expect a LS on the PS for very long.

Oh well, you are what you are.

You asked. You received. I took the time to go find something you couldn't be bothered to. You seemingly didn't read.

Go be an ass to someone else.

You asked. You received. I took the time to go find something you couldn't be bothered to. You seemingly didn't read.
No, I wanted evidence that we were turned down and you most certainly did not produce that.

Instead of being an ass I'll just re-ignore you. Bye.

No, I wanted evidence that we were turned down and you most certainly did not produce that.

Instead of being an ass I'll just re-ignore you. Bye.

I certainly did produce such evidence. And.....

Bye

We talking about practice ...

...squad?

Very disappointing that Halapio, Thomas, and Gallon were all so unimpressive that we did not even want them on the practice squad. Terrible draft picks.

How can 6th and 7th round draft picks be TERRIBLE picks? If they were players who were likely to make it in the NFL, they wouldn't be available in the 6th or 7th rounds.

The lesson is to not take all the draft analysis seriously and think that you, or anyone else, has any clue how a college kid will make the transition to the NFL, no matter how impressive he may have been running a 3-cone drill in his underwear...

How can 6th and 7th round draft picks be TERRIBLE picks? If they were players who were likely to make it in the NFL, they wouldn't be available in the 6th or 7th rounds.
If you label Tom Brady a great pick, the opposite of that would be terrible so you cannot just highlight the great and pretend there is not a flipside. Halapio, Thomas, and Gallon appear to be the opposite of Tom Brady, which equates to terrible picks.

I think there 2 ends to every spectrum, and we should acknowledge them both otherwise we are not being objective at all, and lack of objectivity destroys any creditability a poster could potentially have.

The lesson is to not take all the draft analysis seriously and think that you, or anyone else, has any clue how a college kid will make the transition to the NFL, no matter how impressive he may have been running a 3-cone drill in his underwear...
I actually spoke to Halapio in the day 3 draft thread on the day he was drafted, I said he was a poor choice then, and I based much of that on how he ran in his underwear.. .:eek:

Brady was a terrible draft pick. Obviously, the Pats (and 31 other teams) should have taken him in the first round.

Mel Kiper had him in the first round, didn't he? :)

The only draft pick that bothered me, honestly, was Gallon. Might be a very good receiver - I don't know - but I never saw how he had a chance of making this team. I never saw how any receiver not named Watkins, Evans or Benjamin could make this team from the draft, given the depth at that position, and certainly not a mid-low round pick with Gallon's lack of size.

So I was surprised when they picked him. He never had a chance, barring catastrophic injuries at the position.

Halapio, I understood. They shot-gunned the OL this year (like WR last year) and Halapio was known to play with mean streak and got high grades for toughness and leadership (team captain). So they took a flyer. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.

Most likely wouldn't, since they had already drafted two OL and had a lot of OL on the PS last year. Kind of surprised that he didn't get a PS nod, though.

So what percentage of 6th and 7th round picks made their 53's? Or the added PS 10?

So what percentage of 6th and 7th round picks made their 53's? Or the added PS 10?

Don't have an exact number unfortunately, but I know at least 1/3, and maybe almost 1/2, of 7th rounders didn't make their teams' 53s.

I want a successful player with every pick we make, and if we do not get one it is a disappointment for me, I can understand mistakes or failure but I not going to just accept it and say it is no biggie.

I understand your disappointment, although as you noted it's a bit of a crapshoot at times. One thing I try and keep in mind is that we're often in a position of luxury as it pertains to the draft--especially at certain positions. In other words, I think we should remember to take into account those that lie in front of the draft picks just as well, in regards to competition.

The really frustrating thing to me is that we had some obvious holes at certain positions, although in their defense, the talent level may not have been there in some of the recent drafts.

The only draft pick that bothered me, honestly, was Gallon. Might be a very good receiver - I don't know - but I never saw how he had a chance of making this team. I never saw how any receiver not named Watkins, Evans or Benjamin could make this team from the draft, given the depth at that position, and certainly not a mid-low round pick with Gallon's lack of size.

So I was surprised when they picked him. He never had a chance, barring catastrophic injuries at the position.

I'm sure they knew that Gallon's odds were low for making the team, but I'm guessing that they may have hoped that he'd stick out enough to justify a spot on the practice squad. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, whether it was due to injury/lack of playing chances--or probably both. I'm assuming that some of these later round selections are made with an eye on the future much more than the present. It sucks that he didn't work out, but I agree with you that I never once figured him to have too good of a chance.

I'm kind of surprised that Worthy wasn't kept around for at least another week or two to give him more of a chance to show if he can contribute. Then again, it doesn't look like anyone else has picked him up either.
i read at a packers forum that Worthy has a bit of a different personality. kind of a loner and didn't get along with teammates.

BB doesn't like that usually. he's big on team chemistry and communication

I actually spoke to Halapio in the day 3 draft thread on the day he was drafted, I said he was a poor choice then, and I based much of that on how he ran in his underwear...

I have no idea why the NFL has potential linemen run 40-yard dashes.

I have even less of an idea why anybody uses those times to judge the potential future of on of those players. May as well have a financial institution hire based on how many push-ups their would-be accountants can accomplish in sixty seconds.

The Pats also have 9 rookies currently on the roster: Dominique Easley (1st), Jimmy Garoppolo (2nd), Brian Stork (4th), James White (4th), Cameron Fleming (4th), Zach Moore (6th), Malcolm Butler (UDFA), Kelcy Quarles (UDFA), and Bruce Gaston (UDFA). They currently have 13 2nd year players: Jamie Collins (2nd), Aaron Dobson (2nd), Logan Ryan (3rd), Duron Harmon (3rd), Chris Jones (6th), Michael Buchanan (7th), Kenbrell Thompkins (UDFA), Tim Wright (UDFA), Joe Vellano (UDFA), Jordan Devey (UDFA), Josh Kline (UDFA), Chris Barker (UDFA) and Ryan Allen (UDFA). That's 22 guys who are either 1st and 2nd year players. Add in 2012 players Chandler Jones (1st), Dont'a Hightower (1st), Tavon Wilson (2nd), Nate Ebner (6th), Alfonzo Dennard (7th) and Brandon Bolden (UDFA), and over half the team is in their 3rd year or less. How much younger do we want this team to be?

Good point, have contended right along that this team is being rebuilt right before our eyes, and in the salary cap era this is unheard of... 13 consecutive winning seasons, all of which had a bumbling GM, BB.

Gallon was picked as a developmental prospect for the future should Edelperson leave for a well deserved payday contract. Think beyond one or 2 seasons. He was a miss, typical of late, late rounders.

Halapio, I understood. They shot-gunned the OL this year (like WR last year) and Halapio was known to play with mean streak and got high grades for toughness and leadership (team captain). So they took a flyer. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't.

Most likely wouldn't, since they had already drafted two OL and had a lot of OL on the PS last year. Kind of surprised that he didn't get a PS nod, though.

I agree about Gallon since the New England Patriots already employed three smurfs at the wide receiver position: Amendola, Boyce, Edelman.

In the meantime, draft prospect favorite (from the Patriots draft talk board) defensive tackle Zack Kerr of Delaware would have been insurance for Vince Wifork.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/member...=DT&draftyear=2014&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

I actually spoke to Halapio in the day 3 draft thread on the day he was drafted, I said he was a poor choice then, and I based much of that on how he ran in his underwear...

I have even less of an idea why anybody uses those times to judge the potential future of on of those players. May as well have a financial institution hire based on how many push-ups their would-be accountants can accomplish in sixty seconds.
I looked more at the 3-cone, 20-yard shuttle, and 10-yard split.

I think they run the 40 for the same reason they do the vertical it shows their explosiveness.

Gallon was picked as a developmental prospect for the future should Edelperson leave for a well deserved payday contract. Think beyond one or 2 seasons. He was a miss, typical of late, late rounders.
Huh?

Julian Edelman signed a four year contract extension in March prior to the 2014 NFL Draft.

Yep, 40 times are overrated for most positions, and positively silly for OLs. But that doesn't make the whole "underwear olympics" silly. I really like watching the positional drills --if fans had been able to watch Sebastian Vollmer's pro day workout ( ) before he was drafted, he might not have been such a lightning rod pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes