PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Practice Squad Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Gallon said no to us.
Please back this up with something more than the tweet I saw saying Gallon won't go to our practice squad. That DOES NOT mean he was offered a spot.

I won't go to the Patriots practice squad. I won't be CEO of Microsoft. I won't be President of the United States.

That doesn't mean I would say no to any if offered.

Very disappointing that Halapio, Thomas, and Gallon were all so unimpressive that we did not even want them on the practice squad. Terrible draft picks.

Two sixes and a seven didn't make the team (although Jemea made the Cowgirls). Fire the GM!

Very disappointing that Halapio, Thomas, and Gallon were all so unimpressive that we did not even want them on the practice squad. Terrible draft picks.

Not every 6 or 7 turns into a Brady or an Ebner. ;)

Two sixes and a seven didn't make the team (although Jemea made the Cowgirls). Fire the GM!
They did not make the practice squad; we are not even talking about the team, I do not think we need to fire the GM, I think you are overacting.

Not every 6 or 7 turns into a Brady or an Ebner. ;)
I am disappointed in Halapio, he was an early sixth round pick in a deep draft class, I would have liked to at least get a player worthy of a practice squad spot on a team with OL question marks.

Thomas and Gallon are like whatever.

Bequette is only eligible under the new rules, as he has two accrued seasons.
Boyce was drafted last year, so he only has one accrued season, and thus does not fall under the new "no more than two players with two accrued seasons" rule.

He does fall under it b/c he played 9 regular season games last year, and therefore lost his eligibility.

I think Bequette has found his niche in the NFL, he is awesome at practicing, one of the best there is, and now he does not have the distraction of worrying about playing those 11-12 snaps per season anymore, he is really going to breakout on the practice field.

Please back this up with something more than the tweet I saw saying Gallon won't go to our practice squad. That DOES NOT mean he was offered a spot.

I won't go to the Patriots practice squad. I won't be CEO of Microsoft. I won't be President of the United States.

That doesn't mean I would say no to any if offered.

the hope, according to a league source, is to get him through to New England’s 10-man practice squad.

It Is What It Is >> Source: Patriots have released WR Jeremy Gallon

That's closer but still doesn't say he's been offered a spot.

Patriots wanted him.
He didn't sign.

Unless there was an unreported change of heart on the part of the Patriots, the line is easy to draw.

Patriots wanted him.
He didn't sign.

Unless there was an unreported change of heart on the part of the Patriots, the line is easy to draw.
No it's not.

First it was just an unnamed source.
Second it said they hoped to get him not that there was an offer.
Third they may have only wanted one WR and didn't expect to get Boyce.
Fourth the LS may be temporarily taking the spot that he'll go to.
Fifth just because you think if you say the sky is green then it is doesn't make it so.

There's not nearly enough "out there" to be saying definitely that he turned a PS spot down.

Didn't make a /loaded/ team.
They didn't make the practice squad. Nobody is talking about the 53 man roster. A teams late round draft picks should have the inside track to get on the practice squad especially an expanded practice squad.

They didn't make the practice squad. Nobody is talking about the 53 man roster. A teams late round draft picks should have the inside track to get on the practice squad especially an expanded practice squad.

Of four 6th/7th round picks, one made the roster, one made another roster and one they want to bring back. For an elite team that actually had a net plus FA, that is fine. Even good.

The shape of this draft is weird: we've yet to see the 1st round pick on the field, we hope not to see the good-looking 2nd round pick for the rest of the season, and they didn't pick in the 3rd. So the weak crop of 6th and 7th rounders stands out more than it should. In reality, they're very much the norm -- the team (like all teams) typically only hits on one late-round pick a year, despite drafting as many as 5 players in rounds 6 & 7.

In fact, the only time in the last decade they've hit on more than 1 is 2012 with Dennard and Ebner. (Unless you count Myron Pryor as a hit in the 2009 class of Pryor, Ingram, Edelman and Richard).

The shape of this draft is weird: we've yet to see the 1st round pick on the field, we hope not to see the good-looking 2nd round pick for the rest of the season, and they didn't pick in the 3rd. So the weak crop of 6th and 7th rounders stands out more than it should. In reality, they're very much the norm -- the team (like all teams) typically only hits on one late-round pick a year, despite drafting as many as 5 players in rounds 6 & 7.

In fact, the only time in the last decade they've hit on more than 1 is 2012 with Dennard and Ebner. (Unless you count Myron Pryor as a hit in the 2009 class of Pryor, Ingram, Edelman and Richard).

Exactly. 6th and 7th rounds are little more than priority FAs, and success rates are similar across the league. Anecdotally, I just checked out the Cowboys (since I was already there to see if Thomas made the roster) and of their 5 selections, only 2 made the roster. Interestingly, all 5 of them were defensive selections and they couldn't make one of the worst defensive units in the entire league.

As I wrote before, if 2 of your 4 selections make NFL teams and you want to bring another back, that is pretty much the norm, perhaps even slightly above average.

Edit: Ha! Thomas was just waived by the Cowboys. Now the scale is probably tilted towards slightly below average, though nowhere near worthy of ridicule.

Jemea Thomas has actually been cut now ...
(see above post)

Yup:

2013: +Buchanan, -Beauharnais. Unless you count that 7th traded for Blount.
2012: +Dennard, +Ebner, -Ebert.
2011: -Markell Carter, -Malcolm Williams. Also -Lee Smith, taken in the 5th round.
2010: +Brandon Deaderick, -Kade Weston, -Zac Robinson, -Thomas Welch (traded 2 7ths to move up for him), -Ted Larsen (should have stuck, though - that was a mild mistake)
2009: +Julian Edelman, +Myron Pryor, -Jake Ingram, -Darryl Richard

And then there was 2007: -Oscar Lua, -Mike Richardson, -Justice Hairston, -Mike Elgin, -Corey Hilliard, -Justin Rogers. 0 for 6.

Probably not far off from the league average. 6th and 7th round picks are really pretty much equivalent to UDFAs, just the teams get to lock up their rights instead of trying to sign them on the open market. Almost every team cuts late round picks, and almost every team has UDFAs that make the 53 man roster.

Exactly. 6th and 7th rounds are little more than priority FAs, and success rates are similar across the league. Anecdotally, I just checked out the Cowboys (since I was already there to see if Thomas made the roster) and of their 5 selections, only 2 made the roster. Interestingly, all 5 of them were defensive selections and they couldn't make one of the worst defensive units in the entire league.

As I wrote before, if 2 of your 4 selections make NFL teams and you want to bring another back, that is pretty much the norm, perhaps even slightly above average.

Edit: Ha! Thomas was just waived by the Cowboys. Now the scale is probably tilted towards slightly below average, though nowhere near worthy of ridicule.

It might be interesting to see what percentage of sixth and seventh rounders made teams and/or practice squads and how much higher than 25% it is. Might have a go at it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes