PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 NFL Free Agents: Top 50 List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should dump Brady and go after Graham.

Joe Namath could probably play QB for us and still be in the MVP discussion if he was throwing to Gronk and Graham

Welker as I said in previous post is a potential cap causality.

Wait...what? :confused:

You're actually thinking that the Broncos are going to let Wes Welker walk away?

I would think an extension would be a much better way to lower his cap hit than flat out walking away from him! I think they'd have to be rather pleased with their return on their investment thus far regarding Wes Welker.

Should dump Brady and go after Graham.

Joe Namath could probably play QB for us and still be in the MVP discussion if he was throwing to Gronk and Graham

You completely lost me at "should just dump Brady."

You can look at the results with plugging in any old receiver or rookie off the street with the greatest QB in NFL history, as it has already produced successful results multiple times over. It certainly works both ways.

Wait...what? :confused:

You're actually thinking that the Broncos are going to let Wes Welker walk away?

I would think an extension would be a much better way to lower his cap hit than flat out walking away from him! I think they'd have to be rather pleased with their return on their investment thus far regarding Wes Welker.

I don’t know that they want to let him walk but they have a number of players they will need to resign in this offseason and the following:

• Decker
• Moreno
• Cromartie
• Ayers
• Phillips
• Woodyard
• Beadles

The question will be if they think Welker is worth the $8 million cap hit or if they could go out and sign a Cotchery, Jacoby Jones, McCluster, Sanders or Boldin at a lesser cost and get similar production and then retain some of their own younger players.

I think it absolutely possible, I would not think so if not for the 2 concussions but considering that I would not be surprised.

Resign Talib, Edelman and others. Restructure Vince and Logan.

Sign an interior OL, DE and cheap TE in FA.

Then, "the Detroit Lions have traded the 22nd overall pick to New England. New England select, Rashed Hagemen, Defensive Tackle, Minnesota."

"With the 32nd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select, Eric Ebron, tight end, North Carolina."

Then an OL in the 2nd round aswell.

I can dream

What did we trade to get the Lions' pick?

Without studying the list in the OP, if I was to go down to the bookies tomorrow to predict the Patriot FA acquisitions next year, I'd be betting on Michael Johnson, Arthur Jones and Scott Chandler with a longer odds wager on Emmanuel Sanders (and a trade for Mark Ingram).

29. Arthur Jones DT/DE - Baltimore

Why not reunite brothers?

Wilfork could be extended to bring his number down. Sopoaga and Kelly are not worth it. Vellano/Jones/Siliga are depth rotational guys. We need to draft a DT early in the draft 1st or 2nd round.

Not much savings from Gostkowski. Hopefully an extension in the same ballpark. I was a doubter before the season after a poor (for him) 2012 with key misses in Baltimore and Seattle and throughout the year. This year he is something like 95% on his kicks and a ton of those are from 50+.

Connolly will always be in my heart for his KO return against the Packers, but we need upgrades for the interior OL, they might already be on the roster or practice squad. Cannon to RG? Svitek to RG?

I don't see too many moves out of the Patriots. Cut Adrian Wilson, Jake Bequette, and Tavon Wilson not so much for cap savings as to make room for better players who have earned a roster spot.

Trading Mallett will be discussed with very unrealistic expectations for a first round or even a second round pick. Tons of QBs in this draft and tons of QBs available via FA. I'd take a 3rd rounder which is what we used to get him and then sign Cassel (his two year contract voids after the first year).

29. Arthur Jones DT/DE - Baltimore

Why not reunite brothers?

Wilfork could be extended to bring his number down. Sopoaga and Kelly are not worth it. Vellano/Jones/Siliga are depth rotational guys. We need to draft a DT early in the draft 1st or 2nd round.

Not much savings from Gostkowski. Hopefully an extension in the same ballpark. I was a doubter before the season after a poor (for him) 2012 with key misses in Baltimore and Seattle and throughout the year. This year he is something like 95% on his kicks and a ton of those are from 50+.

Connolly will always be in my heart for his KO return against the Packers, but we need upgrades for the interior OL, they might already be on the roster or practice squad. Cannon to RG? Svitek to RG?

I don't see too many moves out of the Patriots. Cut Adrian Wilson, Jake Bequette, and Tavon Wilson not so much for cap savings as to make room for better players who have earned a roster spot.

Trading Mallett will be discussed with very unrealistic expectations for a first round or even a second round pick. Tons of QBs in this draft and tons of QBs available via FA. I'd take a 3rd rounder which is what we used to get him and then sign Cassel (his two year contract voids after the first year).
Kelly has a modest salary next year. Wilfork doesnt. They're not going to extend him and have an even bigger cap hit if they have to cut him.

Kelly has a modest salary next year. Wilfork doesnt. They're not going to extend him and have an even bigger cap hit if they have to cut him.

I see no possible way that Wilfork will be here on the books with a $11.6m cap hit and Mankins will be here with a $10.5m cap hit in 2014. They will both either take a pay-cut and restructure or they will be gone in my opinion.

Kelly is unlikely to be retained unless he restructures as well, $2.65m is not modest enough, and I would bet every last sent in my bank account that Sopoaga will be gone with his $3.5m cap hit in 2014.

Man JG would be an amazing signing. But I'd be happy with Michael Johnson.

at this point i would be happy with Michael Jackson at TE. Sequin glove and all

I think people are forgetting how much of a difference maker Tommy Kelly was earlier in the season. It's been a while since we've seen legitimate interior pressure on our DL (it also made Chandler Jones better too). Personally, so long as there aren't any serious injury questions or questions of decline, I think Kelly is a MUST to bring back.

Kelly didn't do jack squat after Wilfork was gone, however. Just like he gravy-trained
Seymour in Oaksterdam, Kelly did the same thing here with Wilfork. And when the going
got tough without Wilfork, Kelly got going...to the injury lists.

Time to sign a younger, fresher FA DT (Arthur Jones?), and to tell Kelly that he can find
another team willing to pay him to do nothing.

Kelly only got to play 2 games without wilfork and he had a sack and like 10 tackles he played well but he will be 33 and wilfork is getting but there in age to they may both be gone next year I would bring them both back if it was up to me,

as for signing Arthur jones I don't see it happening he is going to want DE money not middle of the pack DT money and I don't want to pay top dollar for a ravens player we seen it with AD the ravens have all that pass rushing talent around does guys so they are the forgotten man and its not like his sating the world on fire anyways he has 4 sacks and 40 tackles this year and 8 sacks in his career rookie Chris Jones has more sacks and takles then him this year

Only way they bring Wilfork back is at near vet min plus incentuves. They're not paying 8 mil for a guy to rehab or play 20 plats a game at 75% of what he was before. And nk, guaranteeing the money and extending him makes no sense.

I wonder how much it would cost to get someone like lindval joseph? Thoughts?

I think people are forgetting how much of a difference maker Tommy Kelly was earlier in the season. It's been a while since we've seen legitimate interior pressure on our DL (it also made Chandler Jones better too). Personally, so long as there aren't any serious injury questions or questions of decline, I think Kelly is a MUST to bring back.

There are people here who are much more educated on the finer nuances of the contractual aspects, so it's probably a matter of them throwing out some options that could be viable in the case of Kelly. I would guess that giving him an extension of sorts would be an option, although he's old so you'd only really want to go another year.

Unless they somehow come to a mutual agreement another way, the way that it's been explained to me in multiple articles is that the Pats are in a major way ahead should they cut him after year one of the 2 year pact. Of course, as I said--there are people who can break down the specifics of this 2 yr/5 million dollar deal much better than I could ever hope to, as I am generally in the dark with these matters.

This is the exact quote from one of the articles that I read regarding his current contract:

"On the other hand, this injury might not bode well for Kelly's long-term future with the team. He was signed on a two-year, $5 million contract this past offseason. He would count for $3 million against the salary cap in 2013 according to sports contracts website Spotrac. The Patriots could get back all but $500,000 of that by releasing him. He will be 33 years old next season, and coming off a serious knee injury, the Patriots may have second considerations." (courtesy of boston.com)

Re: Re: 2014 NFL Free Agents: Top 50 List

Kelly only got to play 2 games without wilfork and he had a sack and like 10 tackles he played well but he will be 33 and wilfork is getting but there in age to they may both be gone next year I would bring them both back if it was up to me,

as for signing Arthur jones I don't see it happening he is going to want DE money not middle of the pack DT money and I don't want to pay top dollar for a ravens player we seen it with AD the ravens have all that pass rushing talent around does guys so they are the forgotten man and its not like his sating the world on fire anyways he has 4 sacks and 40 tackles this year and 8 sacks in his career rookie Chris Jones has more sacks and takles then him this year

Totally different situations. For one, Thomas didn't work out because he took exception to film room criticism. I would hope BB and Co. do their due diligence and make sure any FA fits the culture. Another thing people forget is that Thomas had 10 sacks when he broke his arm in early November of 2008 and was asked to do something totally different in 2007 before Colvin got hurt.

Back to the Jones who's on the Ravens, Arthur Jones is so much better against the run than Vellano or Jones, and he still provides decent interior rush. I hope we don't break the bank on a guy who's just decent though. Break the bank on Johnson, a fast, rangey pass rusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back