PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 NFL Free Agents: Top 50 List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chandler always plays well against the Patriots, too, which seems to be a common thread in a lot of the free agents Belichick brings in.

Makes a ton of sense, you simultaneously make yourself stronger and your opposition weaker, especially valuable within the division.

Let's sign TJ Ward but with a clause in case of injury

Then have Wilfork "accidentally" fall on his knee in practice

Release the b!tch

Resigning Edelman and going with Ryan/Dennard/Arrington > resigning Talib.

Arrington and the other sore groin of our team do a number on the 2014 cap; Arrington and Amendola combine for a $8,168,750 cap hit next season. When you consider that Jones, McCourty, Vereen, Ridley, Dennard, Dobson and Ryan combine for about the same amount against our cap it goes without question it pays to build through the draft.

I'll order #1, 5, 7, and 9 please.

Talib and Ward and our injured defensive players back please.

Then draft OC, TE and OG and let the dominance begin.

Would rather sign Dennis Pitta at TE than Jimmy Graham (in terms of cost). Doubt that happens though and we probably go for a cheaper guy like Scott Chandler

Re-sign Edelman, sign Emmanuel Sanders, Arthur Jones or J. Tuck?

Franchise Talib

Draft O-line, TE, CB, O-line,

Hope an NFC team snatches Decker away from Denver

Would rather sign Dennis Pitta at TE than Jimmy Graham (in terms of cost). Doubt that happens though and we probably go for a cheaper guy like Scott Chandler

sign Emmanuel Sanders?

Why? Thompkins a pure rookie is averaging 3 yards more per catch and is just 7 yards less per game. Dobson is 3 yards more per catch, and just 2 yards less per game.

You'd expect them to get better as this year progresses(they have) and next year should be beast mode, with either Amendola or minitron in the slot.

We dont need to bring in a WR who is going to cost 4+ million a year.

Let's sign TJ Ward but with a clause in case of injury

Then have Wilfork "accidentally" fall on his knee in practice

Release the b!tch

I would prefer to sign TJ Ward and have him start at strong safety.

Why? Thompkins a pure rookie is averaging 3 yards more per catch and is just 7 yards less per game. Dobson is 3 yards more per catch, and just 2 yards less per game.

You'd expect them to get better as this year progresses(they have) and next year should be beast mode, with either Amendola or minitron in the slot.

We dont need to bring in a WR who is going to cost 4+ million a year.

Thompkins also catches just 45.7% of the balls thrown in his direction and has 7 drops on the season for a drop rate of 10% which is one of the worst in the NFL.

I think Thompkins is solid and is getting reps because out of him Dobson and Boyce he was the most mature and NFL ready coming into the season, that said in my opinion his ceiling is not that high and I would not rely on him to be much more than a 4th wide receiver in his career.

I would not sign Emmanuel Sanders but that is because I think he is basically a veteran version of Josh Boyce and I believe that Boyce can develop into an outstanding Y-WR able to run intermediate routes, stretch the field and work underneath in the same ways Branch did in his career, I just think Boyce will add some additional big play potential to that position.

Ideally I would like to see:

WR-X: Aaron Dobson
WR-Y: Josh Boyce
WR-Z: Julian Edelman

With Amendola backing up the WR-Y and WR-Z spots and Thompkins backing up the WR-X, if Boyce doesn’t make a second year leap you can move Edelman outside to the WR-Y and use Amendola at the WR-Z but if Boyce can make the leap I think the explosiveness and deep threat elements he offers would be ideal at the WR-Y position.

I think we need to go out and sign or draft 2 tight ends personally, if I was looking to spend money in the passing game it would be there. These are the free agent tight ends:

Name
• Jermichael Finley
• Dustin Keller
• Brandon Pettigrew
• Scott Chandler
• Fred Davis
• Dennis Pitta
• Jeff King
• Jeff Cumberland
• Ed ****son
• Dallas Clark
• Alex Smith
• Ben Hartsock
• Bear Pascoe
• Kellen Winslow
• Jimmy Graham
• Dante Rosario
• Matthew Mulligan
• Kellen Davis
• Andrew Quarless
• Kory Sperry
• Michael Hoomanawanui
• Jeron Mastrud
• Garrett Graham
• Chase Coffman
• Clay Harbor
• Anthony McCoy
• Jim Dray

Resign Talib, Edelman and others. Restructure Vince and Logan.

Sign an interior OL, DE and cheap TE in FA.

Then, "the Detroit Lions have traded the 22nd overall pick to New England. New England select, Rashed Hagemen, Defensive Tackle, Minnesota."

"With the 32nd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select, Eric Ebron, tight end, North Carolina."

Then an OL in the 2nd round aswell.

I can dream

Thompkins also catches just 45.7% of the balls thrown in his direction and has 7 drops on the season for a drop rate of 10% which is one of the worst in the NFL.

I think Thompkins is solid and is getting reps because out of him Dobson and Boyce he was the most mature and NFL ready coming into the season, that said in my opinion his ceiling is not that high and I would not rely on him to be much more than a 4th wide receiver in his career.

I would not sign Emmanuel Sanders but that is because I think he is basically a veteran version of Josh Boyce and I believe that Boyce can develop into an outstanding Y-WR able to run intermediate routes, stretch the field and work underneath in the same ways Branch did in his career, I just think Boyce will add some additional big play potential to that position.

Ideally I would like to see:

WR-X: Aaron Dobson
WR-Y: Josh Boyce
WR-Z: Julian Edelman

With Amendola backing up the WR-Y and WR-Z spots and Thompkins backing up the WR-X, if Boyce doesn’t make a second year leap you can move Edelman outside to the WR-Y and use Amendola at the WR-Z but if Boyce can make the leap I think the explosiveness and deep threat elements he offers would be ideal at the WR-Y position.

I think we need to go out and sign or draft 2 tight ends personally, if I was looking to spend money in the passing game it would be there. These are the free agent tight ends:

Name
• Jermichael Finley
• Dustin Keller
• Brandon Pettigrew
• Scott Chandler
• Fred Davis
• Dennis Pitta
• Jeff King
• Jeff Cumberland
• Ed ****son
• Dallas Clark
• Alex Smith
• Ben Hartsock
• Bear Pascoe
• Kellen Winslow
• Jimmy Graham
• Dante Rosario
• Matthew Mulligan
• Kellen Davis
• Andrew Quarless
• Kory Sperry
• Michael Hoomanawanui
• Jeron Mastrud
• Garrett Graham
• Chase Coffman
• Clay Harbor
• Anthony McCoy
• Jim Dray

281.gif

Sounds interesting...

One proven TE to pair with Gronk and another one to be the 3rd on depth chart, better than hooman, fells, mulligan etc...would be nice.

I don't really see the need to go for WR on the draft or FA as long as they keep Minitron. We're all set with the 3 rookies + Edelman and Amendola.

The Patriots were rumored to be very interested in Michael Johnson of Cincy last offseason. I'd like to see them take a real shot at him. Incredibly fast.

There's too much depth at TE this offseason for the Patriots to even think about touching the top of the heap with Graham. Pitta would be epic IMO.

The Seachickens are a win now team because the cap is going to obliterate them in a year or two. Someone tweeted out recently that Sherman, Wilson, and Wagner's cap hit combined was under 3 mil :eek:

Rookie contracts FTW.

281.gif

Sounds interesting...

One proven TE to pair with Gronk and another one to be the 3rd on depth chart, better than hooman, fells, mulligan etc...would be nice.

I don't really see the need to go for WR on the draft or FA as long as they keep Minitron. We're all set with the 3 rookies + Edelman and Amendola.

I think we could target 1-2 of the wide receivers who will probably be available for a 1 year deal at low prices since they’re coming off injury or have major baggage.

Jeremy Maclin
Kenny Britt
Riley Cooper

Or maybe an older receiver like Anquan Boldin, but outside of some low risk high reward types I with you its not worth the spend. Welker as I said in previous post is a potential cap causality.

This is a little off topic, but anyone else see that the Jags cut Mincey?

The Patriots were rumored to be very interested in Michael Johnson of Cincy last offseason. I'd like to see them take a real shot at him. Incredibly fast.

There's too much depth at TE this offseason for the Patriots to even think about touching the top of the heap with Graham. Pitta would be epic IMO.

The Seachickens are a win now team because the cap is going to obliterate them in a year or two. Someone tweeted out recently that Sherman, Wilson, and Wagner's cap hit combined was under 3 mil :eek:

Rookie contracts FTW.

Wilson's hit alone is going to cause them a good amount of trouble. He can begin negotiating a new contract with the team after the 2014 season. They realistically have a two year window to win the big one. The only thing that stands in their way of doing it is that sideshow clown they have as a head coach.

This is a little off topic, but anyone else see that the Jags cut Mincey?

I'd have a look at him. At the very least, he's decent against the run.

In my opinion people are overvaluing what Talib is going to receive this offseason. Talib was on the market and available last season and he resigned for 1 year/$5.5m. Has he played very well this season, yes absolutely but he has played at this level at times throughout his career. Talib has played in 74 career games and has 23 interceptions and 69 pass defends, this season is not an enigma.

The concerns surrounding Talib still exist in fact the hip problem has been reinforced. There are also several CBs on the market this season:

Charles Tillman
Brent Grimes
Tim Jennings
Vontae Davis
Alterraun Verner
Brandon Browner*
DeAngelo Hall
Corey Graham

*pending suspension appeal

I am not saying that Talib is lousy actually I think he is the best CB on the market I just think he can be resigned for a fair price and not much more than last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back