PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

I was able to review some of the defensive line prospects yesterday and I know I'm in the minority but I really like Ealy. Who is your best pass rushing option from this draft that you think would be a possibility for us?

Hope you don't mind me butting in, but for a pure pass rush DE, I like Ethan Westbrooks. Small school guy but he dominated at the Shrine Game and has decent, not great size at 6034 and 265. Having said that, if I'm ignoring character concerns then Aaron Lynch is my guy.

OTG has gone all alliterative in his scouting report on Aaron Donald calling him a "blue chip beast bargain".

More and more, Donald is becoming my preference for the first round pick. Donald-Niklas/Rodgers (or a trade up if ASJ slips into the second) s becoming my preference. Still like a first round TE but Donald has that something extra to his game.

Aaron Donald Scouting Report ~ 2014 NFL Draft -

I like him as well. Think he would definitely be a solid pick for us. I am wondering after the very good senior bowl that he had, if he is going to be an option for us at 29.

My three favorite players that I have seen so far that I hope are available are : Pryor, Ealy and Donald. Unfortunately, they will probably all be gone.

I am noticing that the defensive line might not be as deep as I originally thought. There probably will be a rush on the d- line in the first round.

I like him as well. Think he would definitely be a solid pick for us. I am wondering after the very good senior bowl that he had, if he is going to be an option for us at 29.

My three favorite players that I have seen so far that I hope are available are : Pryor, Ealy and Donald. Unfortunately, they will probably all be gone.

I am noticing that the defensive line might not be as deep as I originally thought. There probably will be a rush on the d- line in the first round.

Agreed. For all the talk about depth, it is very top heavy at DL.

OTG has gone all alliterative in his scouting report on Aaron Donald calling him a "blue chip beast bargain".

More and more, Donald is becoming my preference for the first round pick. Donald-Niklas/Rodgers (or a trade up if ASJ slips into the second) s becoming my preference. Still like a first round TE but Donald has that something extra to his game.

Yeah, it's been pretty awful ~ though in not the remotest way surprising ~ to watch Donald's Stock rapidly ascend over the last few months, and I agree that if the Draft were held today, he'd be long gone by #29.

And in May, that may very well still be the case.

But there is the distinct possibility that we're looking at his Stock's High Water Mark...and that over the next 3 months, the Draft World will manage to freak itself out over'is Size. They are a conservative lot, after all.

Yeah, it's been pretty awful ~ though in not the remotest way surprising ~ to watch Donald's Stock rapidly ascend over the last few months, and I agree that if the Draft were held today, he'd be long gone by #29.

But there is the distinct possibility that we're looking at his Stock's High Water Mark...and that over the next 3 months, the Draft World will manage to freak itself out over'is Size. They are a conservative lot, after all.

Maybe Donald will run a piss poor 40 or get a DUI before the draft. One can hope. Me? I've been very vocal about wanting to see a SS back there that can make WR's shake in their boots when coming across the middle. With that, I would love to see Pryor in the first round, then for the Pats to concentrate their firepower on DL after that.

To repeat what I said post-Mobile: Handful of decision-makers told me there could be a dozen players in this draft better than ANYONE in '13

Albert Breer

Must have sucked to have a top 10 pick last year.

Maybe Donald will run a piss poor 40 or get a DUI before the draft. One can hope. Me? I've been very vocal about wanting to see a SS back there that can make WR's shake in their boots when coming across the middle. With that, I would love to see Pryor in the first round, then for the Pats to concentrate their firepower on DL after that.

Pryor is certainly on my short list for 29, but I think there's at most a 20% chance he lasts that long. I think he'll go between Dallas at 17 and Philly at 22.

As for Donald, I think I prefer Ra'Shede Hageman and Timmy Jernigan. But for me Donald is that nagging itch that I can't get rid of, the kind I haven't had since ... Lavonte David in 2012. I must have looked at film of David a dozen times and he screamed 1st round talent with rare instincts, but I couldn't get past his size. Somewhere I just realized that the size was irrelevant for a player with his unusual combination of instincts and physicality. I remember PM'ing OTG to that effect, expecting an argument, and his response was something along the lines of "Duh, what took you so long to figure that out?" Donald may be the same kind of guy - if you look at his physical numbers you keep questioning how well he'll project, but if you just ignore it and go by his play he is an unusual beast who doesn't come around very often. Like David, I think he may be able to transcend his limitations, not merely in terms of succeeding, but also being able to succeed in more than one scheme.

pretty proud of myself for spotting two very good first round talents much earlier I noticed Dennard last year and thought he really stood out and was hoping we would be able to get him in the 2nd but sadly he rose and noticed Donald their first game against FSU and thought he was a beast in the making both are great hoping we can get Donald and i havent seen much on Pryor but sounds like a beast and i like the idea of another uber athletic lb like marcus smith, christian jones or maybe even telvin smith sounds like this could be a great year if the right players get to our spot

Pryor is certainly on my short list for 29, but I think there's at most a 20% chance he lasts that long. I think he'll go between Dallas at 17 and Philly at 22.

As for Donald, I think I prefer Ra'Shede Hageman. But for me Donald is that nagging itch that I can't get rid of, the kind I haven't had since ... Lavonte David in 2012. I must have looked at film of David a dozen times and he screamed 1st round talent with rare instincts, but I couldn't get past his size. Somewhere I just realized that the size was irrelevant for a player with his unusual combination of instincts and physicality. I remember PM'ing OTG to that effect, expecting an argument, and his response was something along the lines of "Duh, what took you so long to figure that out?" Donald may be the same kind of guy - if you look at his physical numbers you keep questioning how well he'll project, but if you just ignore it and go by his play he is an unusual beast who doesn't come around very often. Like David, I think he may be able to transcend his limitations, not merely in terms of succeeding, but also being able to succeed in more than one scheme.

That nagging itch you talked about. I got that the moment you mentioned a Justin Smith comparison. I think Donald can be successful as a sub package interior rusher but I'm becoming more interested in him lining up as a RDE in a 3-4 type look with Chandler Jones playing the Leo/pass rushing OLB. That could also have the desired effect of giving Jones a rest with Hightower/Collins/Marcus Smith? subbing in at that role. One of the hardest things to find in this draft for me is a backup DE to give Jones and Nink a rest because I don't like the candidates all that much. This would solve that problem. Donald doesn't even have to play one gap. look at the jolt he gave Cyril Richardson at the Senior Bowl.

As for Donald, I think I prefer Ra'Shede Hageman and Timmy Jernigan. But for me Donald is that nagging itch that I can't get rid of, the kind I haven't had since ... Lavonte David in 2012. I must have looked at film of David a dozen times and he screamed 1st round talent with rare instincts, but I couldn't get past his size

Don't worry, you're not the only one with Donalditis. Just look at it this way, his unusual size makes him a natural mismatch;), O-linemen aren't used to dealing with someone like him. The funny thing is that his height/weight is almost exactly that of John Randle. I'm thinking that is Joseph Linval can command a double team that'll open things up for Donald and/or Chandler Jones.

I just can't stop watching Donald's film.

Don't worry, you're not the only one with Donalditis. Just look at it this way, his unusual size makes him a natural mismatch;), O-linemen aren't used to dealing with someone like him. The funny thing is that his height/weight is almost exactly that of John Randle. I'm thinking that is Joseph Linval can command a double team that'll open things up for Donald and/or Chandler Jones.

Donald and Fuller for me. The only other prospect that that happened to me for was Mark Barron, my all-time favourite prospect (if three years can count as all-time).

As for Donald, I think I prefer Ra'Shede Hageman and Timmy Jernigan. But for me Donald is that nagging itch that I can't get rid of, the kind I haven't had since ... Lavonte David in 2012. I must have looked at film of David a dozen times and he screamed 1st round talent with rare instincts, but I couldn't get past his size. Somewhere I just realized that the size was irrelevant for a player with his unusual combination of instincts and physicality. I remember PM'ing OTG to that effect, expecting an argument, and his response was something along the lines of "Duh, what took you so long to figure that out?" Donald may be the same kind of guy - if you look at his physical numbers you keep questioning how well he'll project, but if you just ignore it and go by his play he is an unusual beast who doesn't come around very often. Like David, I think he may be able to transcend his limitations, not merely in terms of succeeding, but also being able to succeed in more than one scheme.

Best Post Ever!!
jester.gif
:rocker:

That nagging itch you talked about. I got that the moment you mentioned a Justin Smith comparison. I think Donald can be successful as a sub package interior rusher but I'm becoming more interested in him lining up as a RDE in a 3-4 type look with Chandler Jones playing the Leo/pass rushing OLB. That could also have the desired effect of giving Jones a rest with Hightower/Collins/Marcus Smith? subbing in at that role. One of the hardest things to find in this draft for me is a backup DE to give Jones and Nink a rest because I don't like the candidates all that much. This would solve that problem. Donald doesn't even have to play one gap. look at the jolt he gave Cyril Richardson at the Senior Bowl.

If you look at Donald's Senior Bowl weigh in measurements, he's not that far off. He was a shade under 6'1" (6' 0 7/8"), but his 31 3/4" arms aren't really short for his height.

An interesting comparison is Donald vs. Washington State safety (yes, that's right) Deone Buchannon, who is lauded for his long frame and wingspan:

- Donald: 6' 0 7/8" 288#, 31 3/4" arms, 9 7/8" hands, 77 3/8" wingspan
- Buchannon: 6' 0 7/8" 216#, 31 3/4" arms, 9 1/2" hands, 78" wingspan

Except for the 72# weight difference they are uncannily similar, yet one guy is "long and lanky" and the other "short and stubby". Obviously Donald's game isn't going to be playing JJ Swat and trying to bat down a lot of balls, but I'm not sure why he couldn't be effective. Justin Smith was 267# when he came out of Missouri in 2001, and he hasn't had much of an issue with durability despite playing DT and 3-4 DE at 285#. Luke Smith, Donald obviously has exceptional core strength, and he uses his hands extremely well.

If Armond Armstead actually turns out to be what we hoped he would be (obviously not a given right now), one could do a lot of creative things with a 5 man core DL rotation of Rob Ninkovich, Chandler Jones, Linval Joseph and Donald and Armstead. You could run a basic front 4 of Ninkovich-Joseph-Donald-Jones, bring Armstead in instead of Joseph on rushing downs or instead of Ninkovich if you wanted to have more of a 4-3 under or 3-4 look with Jones as the Leo, confuse people by switching Armstead inside and Donald outside, sometimes move Jones inside with Collins or someone like Marcus Smith or Christian Jones playing a speed rushing role, use Hightower on stunts, .... The options are pretty extensive for an imaginative DC. I'm not sure Matt Patricia is that guy, though he seemed to be doing better early this year before injuries took their toll. But there could be some very intriguing possibilities.

Don't worry, you're not the only one with Donalditis. Just look at it this way, his unusual size makes him a natural mismatch;), O-linemen aren't used to dealing with someone like him.

The funny thing is that his height/weight is almost exactly that of John Randle.

I'm thinking that is Joseph Linval can command a double team that'll open things up for Donald and/or Chandler Jones.

John Randle reference!! :rocker:

20071105__071105randle.jpg

One'f my All Time Favorite 4 Players, baby!! :rocker:

93-john-randle.jpg

If you look at Donald's Senior Bowl weigh in measurements, he's not that far off. He was a shade under 6'1" (6' 0 7/8"), but his 31 3/4" arms aren't really short for his height.

An interesting comparison is Donald vs. Washington State safety (yes, that's right) Deone Buchannon, who is lauded for his long frame and wingspan:

- Donald: 6' 0 7/8" 288#, 31 3/4" arms, 9 7/8" hands, 77 3/8" wingspan
- Buchannon: 6' 0 7/8" 216#, 31 3/4" arms, 9 1/2" hands, 78" wingspan

Except for the 72# weight difference they are uncannily similar, yet one guy is "long and lanky" and the other "short and stubby". Obviously Donald's game isn't going to be playing JJ Swat and trying to bat down a lot of balls, but I'm not sure why he couldn't be effective. Justin Smith was 267# when he came out of Missouri in 2001, and he hasn't had much of an issue with durability despite playing DT and 3-4 DE at 285#. Luke Smith, Donald obviously has exceptional core strength, and he uses his hands extremely well.

If Armond Armstead actually turns out to be what we hoped he would be (obviously not a given right now), one could do a lot of creative things with a 5 man core DL rotation of Rob Ninkovich, Chandler Jones, Linval Joseph and Donald and Armstead. You could run a basic front 4 of Ninkovich-Joseph-Donald-Jones, bring Armstead in instead of Joseph on rushing downs or instead of Ninkovich if you wanted to have more of a 4-3 under or 3-4 look with Jones as the Leo, confuse people by switching Armstead inside and Donald outside, sometimes move Jones inside with Collins or someone like Marcus Smith or Christian Jones playing a speed rushing role, use Hightower on stunts, .... The options are pretty extensive for an imaginative DC. I'm not sure Matt Patricia is that guy, though he seemed to be doing better early this year before injuries took their toll. But there could be some very intriguing possibilities.

I can actually see Donald becoming effective in swatting down balls, the height that the balls are contacted isn't generally high, the key ingredients are an awareness of what's going on and sufficient disengagement from the O-lineman to jump and extend. Even if the arm is just extended that can still disrupt what the QB wants to do, it's additional information for him to process and he might even alter his throw because he's concerned he might hit the defenders arm. One of the things with Watt is that he practices that all the time, I wonder how much of that is an afterthought for most D-line coaches.

I really hope we get something out of Armstead this year, my hopes for him were sky high last off-season.

Although not technically a college player I still have this guy as my #1 FB prospect! I have a feeling he would absolutely relish pass protection assignments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMjySgETO0o

I like Samoans.

Right now I'd say that the 3 DTs (Donald, Jernigan and Hageman), Pryor, and Trent Murphy would be my guys worth taking at 29 on defense. I'm hoping at least one of those 5 is on the board at 29. Eric Ebron is the only guy I would consider on offense (unless Greg Robinson punches a cop or gets a box of weed from BB the weekend before the draft :p). One of the LBs like Christian Jones or Kyle Van Noy could also get consideration, but not right now.

The only caveat is, David's lack of optimum height/weight/reach is somewhat more mitigated
when playing in space than when playing at the LOS, where Donald is subjected to contact at
the snap and would have a more difficult time utilizing his athleticism as often.

The only caveat is, David's lack of optimum height/weight/reach is somewhat more mitigated
when playing in space than when playing at the LOS, where Donald is subjected to contact at
the snap and would have a more difficult time utilizing his athleticism as often.

I don't think the lack of height is an issue. Geno Atkins is half an inch taller (6'1 3/8" vs. 6' 0 7/8"), and was only 5 lbs. heavier coming out in 2010. Similar arm length (32" for Atkins, 31 3/4" for Donald). Donald has much greater core strength than Atkins did coming out, and if his frame can put on 5-10# lbs. then I think he'll hold up fine.

Here was the Combine analysis on Atkins in 2010:

STRENGTHS Plays with great intelligence and instincts .... Plays with good motor and doesn’t stop till the whistle. Displays impressive quickness off the ball and good lateral agility in pursuit. Has impressive pass rushing ability for a defensive tackle.

WEAKNESSES He’s undersized as a defensive tackle lacking adequate height and bulk. Doesn’t have the power to consistently hold up at the point of attack against the run and is overpowered by bigger blockers. Must become more consistent with his hand use.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Geno Atkins

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back