PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 draft priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.
For TE, it doesn't necessarily have to come early

Gator Hoskins has good potential as an AH replacement, and' hell be a day 3 pick or a UDFA

another guy who is relatively unknown is joe don duncan who has the size and agility....there's some injury risk, but isn't there always?

I suggest viewing the cap as if Wilfork, Sopoaga and Kelly are all gone. One is likely to stay, but with a new contract.

I see exactly ZERO need to restructure Connolly or Gregory for 2014. We need both players very badly. We could extend either or both of them. The fact that we need to add a safety and/or an OL or two doesn't make these players LESS valuable.

With regard to cap room, Miguel's latest is $7.5M. Add A. Wilson ($1.5M) and the three DT's and we are up to $21M. That isn't a terrible budget.

As always, I think the focus will be on replacing/re-signing/restructuring our own: Wilfork, Edelman, Talib, Wendell, Spikes, Svitek, Hooman, Fletcher and Blount. I think that the cap is fine for 2014, although I would not expect any big moves on new free agents except perhaps at CB (if we don't re-sign Talib).

We do many more issues for 2015. However, as usual, I expect some of those situations to be clarified in 2014.
=======

As a side issue, I think that we did really great in acquiring young players this year. Of course, this assessment was helped by the late acquisitions of Chris Jones and Siliga.

Guys like Gregory, Connelly, Sopoaga, Wilfork, Kelly etc all have cap hits that will need to be dealt with next season one way or another, so I expect that some of them will be moving on, extended/restructured.

For TE, it doesn't necessarily have to come early

Gator Hoskins has good potential as an AH replacement, and' hell be a day 3 pick or a UDFA

another guy who is relatively unknown is joe don duncan who has the size and agility....there's some injury risk, but isn't there always?

A TE with injury issues call Belichick intrigued ;)

Offensive line, defensive line, offensive line, defensive line. But mostly offensive line.

Which should have been a draft priority starting a couple seasons ago with how long offensive linemen usually take to fully develop.

Sign Alex Mack for about 7.5M/year 5M first year cap hit.
Sign Scott Chandler TE Buffalo

Cut Wilfork, Connolly, Gregory, Soapanga, keep Kelley.
Let Wendell walk unless he's really cheap
Let Spikes Walk
resign Fletcher

not sure about Talib, depends on health and how much he costs.

Focus in draft on OL, TE, CB, a LB who can cover maybe instead of stand like a stone?,

Sign Alex Mack for about 7.5M/year 5M first year cap hit.
Sign Scott Chandler TE Buffalo

Cut Wilfork, Connolly, Gregory, Soapanga, keep Kelley.
Let Wendell walk unless he's really cheap
Let Spikes Walk
resign Fletcher

not sure about Talib, depends on health and how much he costs.

Focus in draft on OL, TE, CB, a LB who can cover maybe instead of stand like a stone?,

If we are gonna add a vet TE I'd rather Garrett Graham from Houston.

Mankins will make either $6 1/2 or $6 3/4 million next year in new money

Fixed problems with pages.

Mankins will make $6.5 million in new money next year.

Offensive line, defensive line, offensive line, defensive line. But mostly offensive line.

Which should have been a draft priority starting a couple seasons ago with how long offensive linemen usually take to fully develop.

You mean like when they took Solder in the 1st round?

And in the mean time they signed their LG and RT to large contracts.

If we can get difference maker at tackle at our spot, we should. If not, no. Seems we might get the best center anywhere from 1-3 or lower. Seems like a good value. I think they can develop guards. Maybe a late developmental O tackle-guard.

I'd go all D otherwise if we can fill those and secondary

If we are gonna add a vet TE I'd rather Garrett Graham from Houston.

I'd much prefer Chandler, at the very least he won't be gashing with the Bills.

I suggest viewing the cap as if Wilfork, Sopoaga and Kelly are all gone. One is likely to stay, but with a new contract.

I see exactly ZERO need to restructure Connolly or Gregory for 2014. We need both players very badly. We could extend either or both of them. The fact that we need to add a safety and/or an OL or two doesn't make these players LESS valuable.

With regard to cap room, Miguel's latest is $7.5M. Add A. Wilson ($1.5M) and the three DT's and we are up to $21M. That isn't a terrible budget.

As always, I think the focus will be on replacing/re-signing/restructuring our own: Wilfork, Edelman, Talib, Wendell, Spikes, Svitek, Hooman, Fletcher and Blount. I think that the cap is fine for 2014, although I would not expect any big moves on new free agents except perhaps at CB (if we don't re-sign Talib).

We do many more issues for 2015. However, as usual, I expect some of those situations to be clarified in 2014.
=======

As a side issue, I think that we did really great in acquiring young players this year. Of course, this assessment was helped by the late acquisitions of Chris Jones and Siliga.

Well said. Safety play is horrid throughout the NFL (Cowboys, Eagles, Vikings, etc). While Gregory does play poor at times, he really isn't that bad as a #2/#3 safety. I see no reason to create another hole on this team by cutting him.

The good thing about our own FAs is we really only have one "must" resign in Edelman. We can't let Brady's #1 WR leave again. I think we may think of parting ways with Talib and his hip, as the FA CB class is pretty deep.

Our 2014 draft class…:D

1. WR Brandon Coleman (6-5, 220, 4.59)*

A preseason third-team All-American (Sporting News) heading into his junior season, Coleman is one of college football's most dangerous scoring threats with 16 TD catches in just 26 career games. While his size is often the attribute most talked about, it's Coleman's feet that give him his biggest advantage, as he routinely defeats press coverage with an explosive first step, and then agility and quickness to surpass his opponent within the first five yards. You'd typically expect an athlete this long to struggle to redirect or shift with suddenness, but Coleman exhibits good hip-sink and flexibility to separate out of cuts and consistently create space for himself, despite lacking elite straight-line speed. Where Coleman struggles the most is really in his concentration and awareness. He'll drop a ball that hits him in the hands when there isn't a defender within 10 yards, or he'll round off a route when he doesn't have to, allowing the defender to close on the ball and knock it away. He's shown good hands and off-body catch coordination on many occasions, yet will elect to move his body in front of a throw in order to chest-trap the ball, rather than plucking it. These flaws are ones that are often cured with more experience and coaching, and considering the flashes we've seen out of Coleman, the expectation should be that he'll only improve in 2013. Coleman is an elite talent with first-round ability.

2. OG Antwan Lowery (6-4, 305, 4.96)

After switching from right guard to left guard in 2012, Lowery earned first-team ALL-BIG EAST honors, and put himself on the NFL draft map in the process. There's nothing overtly explosive about Lowery's game, but he's as sound of a technician as there is on the Rutgers offensive line, and exhibits intelligence in both facets of the offense. One of his biggest strengths is his use of arm length to establish control immediately, as he routinely gets his hands inside the chest of his opponent, and is rarely grabbed or dictated off the snap. He keeps his weight just forward enough without doubling over, sustains a wide, balanced lower half with good bend, and displays good short area quickness and agility to keep his feet moving and sliding on contact. He appears a bit heavy-footed in a straight line, but his strong initial burst enables him to get out in front as a run blocker, and be effective at the second level. Another year to build on his success could mean an early-round selection next May.

3. OL Kaleb Johnson (6-4, 300, 5.05)*

After being named to the FWAA Freshman All-American team following the 2011 season, Johnson moved from right tackle to left for his sophomore season and despite some consistency issues, held his own. Rumor has it that he has taken some reps at left guard and is being considered for the starting role there this season, with fellow junior Keith Lumpkin a candidate to take over at the blind-side tackle spot. If indeed a a move to guard does happen for Johnson, it could be a much more natural fit for him when considering that he possesses flexibility, quickness and anchoring strength, yet is limited in the amount of distance he can cover laterally -- a limitation which manifests itself most obviously in his kick-slide. He exhibits powerful, violent hands when electing punch rather than push, and can dictate a defender -- seemingly with ease -- once he has him on his heels. He displays good awareness when multiple rushers occupy his area and does a good job of transferring from one station to the next. He'll need to continue cleaning up some technical bugs such as bending his arms and giving up personal space on contact, or doubling-over at the waist when firing into defenders at the second level, and should work to do a better job of absorbing more with his knees as he'll lock up at times and rely soley on his upper half to stop momentum. All in all, Johnson has the physical and instinctive makings of an NFL lineman, and his best fit seems to be on the inside. However, the combination of having not established himself at one true position yet along with still having some significant technical improvements to make, could mean that 2014 is a year too early to come out. Then again, his lack of true position could be credited to him having great versatility, and could cause his stock to rise.

4. DE Jamil Merrell (6-3, 255, 4.83)

A first-year starter in 2012, Merrell contributed 5.5 sacks on the year, including two in the Russell Athletic Bowl against Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas. What's a bit misleading about the sack statistic is the fact that Merrell primarily lined up as a 3-4 end, meaning he was double-teamed often, and was rushing the gap more than he was the edge - the latter being where he would project to fit best at the next level -- so the sack total could be considered impressive in such a light. Merrell possesses long arms, an explosive first step, and agility to redirect in space. He's active and quick with his hands, constantly swatting and ripping at his opponent -- a technique that really began to yield results toward the end of last season -- and when facing an open lane, can close in a hurry. Edge technique and ideal hip flexibility are not evident as of yet, so there are a couple of things to look for this year in determining where his draft value will be next May.

Other Rutgers prospects worth watching:

FS Jeremy Deering (6-2, 210, 4.48)

A tremendous athlete who has played running back, wide receiver and even quarterback in his time at Rutgers, and now undertakes the safety position as a senior. One of the nation's best kick returners in 2011, averaging 31.4 yards per attempt. Could this be the year he solidifies himself at a position, and can he turn the heads of NFL scouts in the process?

TE/FB/HB Paul Carrezola (6-2, 240, 4.88)

Fifth-year senior who has seem majority of action as a lead-blocker, but with D.C. Jefferson departing for the NFL, has an opportunity to show off his pass-catching ability in a more traditional tight end role. Versatility could be his ticket to an NFL roster.

OLB Jamal Merrell (6-3, 220, 4.67)

Long, athletic 'backer -- and twin brother of Jamil -- who plays well in the box, but will need to show this year that he can be more instinctive and rangy against the pass.

C Dallas Hendrikson (6-2, 295)

Tough, smart center who missed all of 2011 with a torn ACL but rebounded to have a good year in 2012. Will get overpowered off the snap due to inactive feet at times, and appears limited when asked to slide laterally. A true center who will need to improve technically to draw a selection next year.

DT Isaac Holmes (6-3, 275)

Quick, athletic lineman who missed eight games due to injury last season, after showing some promise in 2011.

DE Marcus Thompson (6-2, 260, 4.64)

Speedy, athletic end who appeared in all 13 games last season, with 2.5 tackles for loss, two QB hurries and a half sack.

Don't forget Armstead although I have a little feeling that this guy will never play.

I agree with your analysis, I disagree on the RB part, I think we have a weak core and it deserves special attention, if a good player slips on the draft I'm not against pick him.

I think safety is ok , thanks god BB will not draft a safety this next draft, I think. We can count this as an extra pick :D

I did forget about Armstead. Once again if he can beat out Vellano good luck to him and hell maybe he makes someone like Kelly expendable. But my point is i just think some posters have downplayed our depth here because 3 of our top DL have been injured all year in Wilfork, Kelly and Armstead.

Re the RB situation, I do disagree. I would argue we have a top 5 unit of RB's at our disposal. Very diverse. I would argue Ridley could start on most NFL teams. Blout is a great change of pace back with a really unique skillset for a large back. Vereen for me is a top 3rd down back and a real dynamic difference maker IMO. Also you'd be hard pressed to find a all round back 4th on the depth chart better than Bolden. IMO we are set at RB from both a talent and depth point of view.

Saftey is ok IMO because we have the top end talent in McCourty then 2 vets in A Wilson and Gregory and 2 young bucks trying to stay on the team and fight for possition but also offer ST ability in Wilson and Harmon. Once again i think most teams in the NFL would love that sort of depth. Wilson was unfortunately lost to injury in Camp.

Sure, we're fine at running back if we re-sign Blount (2014 UFA), extend Ridley (015 UFA) and extend Vereen (2015 UFA).

Otherwise, we need to make an addition.

Re the RB situation, I do disagree. I would argue we have a top 5 unit of RB's at our disposal. Very diverse. I would argue Ridley could start on most NFL teams. Blout is a great change of pace back with a really unique skillset for a large back. Vereen for me is a top 3rd down back and a real dynamic difference maker IMO. Also you'd be hard pressed to find a all round back 4th on the depth chart better than Bolden. IMO we are set at RB from both a talent and depth point of view.

Saftey is ok IMO because we have the top end talent in McCourty then 2 vets in A Wilson and Gregory and 2 young bucks trying to stay on the team and fight for possition but also offer ST ability in Wilson and Harmon. Once again i think most teams in the NFL would love that sort of depth. Wilson was unfortunately lost to injury in Camp.

Sure, we're fine at running back if we re-sign Blount (2014 UFA), extend Ridley (015 UFA) and extend Vereen (2015 UFA).

Otherwise, we need to make an addition.

We should probably just take it one year at a time for the position of RB. We're perfectly fine for the upcoming 2014 season.

If you're looking at the future of the RB position, I'd think that guys like Bolden/Blount have been replaced about 25x over in the Bill Belichick era and we've been just fine. I'd even take that one step further for a player like Ridley.

There will be more Stevan Ridley's in the next 2 years of the draft. I'd prefer to keep Shane Vereen as I believe that he's an important part of their future as a 3rd down back and WR out of the backfield. That's just how I'd feel if it came down to a decision between the 2 of them, although that could change through next season of course should Ridley become a bell-cow back who reaches 1,000 yds again.

I agree with you that we'll likely have to pick up another selection at RB, but I don't necessarily think it needs to be in 2014. We could also go the cheap free agent or UDFA route too.

Well said. Safety play is horrid throughout the NFL (Cowboys, Eagles, Vikings, etc). While Gregory does play poor at times, he really isn't that bad as a #2/#3 safety. I see no reason to create another hole on this team by cutting him.

The good thing about our own FAs is we really only have one "must" resign in Edelman. We can't let Brady's #1 WR leave again. I think we may think of parting ways with Talib and his hip, as the FA CB class is pretty deep.

I agree with you that Gregory is a decent #3 safety, but he isn't worth the money that he'd cost on his current contract.

If they could somehow cut that cost and still keep him as a rotational/backup safety #3, I'd certainly be all for it. Otherwise, Gregory is probably as good as gone, as many here predicted would happen last season for 2014 when we got into the plus zone of his contract.

It's a shame that T.Wilson hasn't worked out, but we still have seen some okay play from Duron Harmon--who is probably our future there. We also have to make a move with A.Wilson too.

I'd have liked to see them lock Edelman up earlier in the year, as in a month or so ago. The more this goes on minus Gronk, the more it concerns me that Edelman's value and price may go up even further.

...Saftey is ok IMO because we have the top end talent in McCourty then 2 vets in A Wilson and Gregory and 2 young bucks trying to stay on the team and fight for possition but also offer ST ability in Wilson and Harmon. Once again i think most teams in the NFL would love that sort of depth. Wilson was unfortunately lost to injury in Camp.

There is no legitimate depth, and this team only has one starting caliber safety.

McCourty's a starting caliber safety, no question about it
Gregory's a backup/rotational guy
T. Wilson sucks
A. Wilson's done, barring a near miraculous comeback, and he looked done last year
Harmon's incredibly overrated on this board as of right now, and doesn't belong on the field

Harmon's incredibly overrated on this board as of right now, and doesn't belong on the field

You think Harmon's been pretty bad this year, Deus? Out of position, etc?

His coverage skills certainly haven't been great, and I did notice that he blew a couple/few tackles at times, but I didn't realize that he was having that poor of a showing. I assumed that it was more "okay" for a rookie year. I take it you don't want him starting next season then.

I don't think there's any doubt that another higher (1-3) round pick will be needed in the secondary, but I just don't know what position it should be at yet.

That's not good to hear re: Harmon though. I was hoping that he'd be able to progress on what I saw as a mediocre rookie season and possibly start next year.

First of all, obviously depending upon the talent available, I'd be very interested in attempting to accumulate more picks by trading down again. I think we need to have an extra 2nd/3rd round pick, and that it could be very useful again.

Secondly, I'll be very disappointed if we don't target the trenches on both sides of the ball, both offensive and defensive lines, even if one pick is taken in the middle rounds.

Third of all, I would like to see the TE and one of CB/S targeted again in the higher rounds of 1-3.

I think we have no option but to target a developmental QB, since Mallett is due to be in his final season, but that wouldn't necessarily have to be in the draft itself--although it's certainly a possibility.

I would hope this draft that the Patriots select a center early and a defensive tackle. We need to anchor both lines going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back