PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Contact List

They've had contact with every first round WR except Watkins now.

Yeah, it's getting harder and harder to picture them skipping over WR in this draft. It does look like a historically great receiver class.

Kyle van noy looks like a strong possibility at 29.

I'm hoping we trade up in this draft for aaron donald if not i hope we get some combo of shazier ASJ Easley or hageman with our first two picks and then try and scoop some potential homerun picks like tripp, christian jones, latimer, colt lyerla, deanthony thomas, craun reid in the later rounds it would be perfect if we could trade mallett for 40 from the vikings and then get shazier ASJ and then Easley then in round 3 pick up an OL like bitonio, richburg etc and then someone like latimer in the 4th with caraun reid as the comp pick and then scoop up lyerla and thomas in the 6th and a crazy potential athlete in the 7th someone like fede but maybe more polished

Yep WR is very deep, could get a top 15 talent at the bottom of round 1. If they get the depth they want expect some mysterious injuries that place players on IR...

If so Boyce/Thompkins is toast.
I expect a first round WR.

We would have :

#1 pick
Dobson
Edelman

for sure.

Boyce very likely.

That's 4.

One or MAYBE two spots left (not including Slater, he's just listed as a WR).

Thompkins
Harrison
Amendola

I would cut or trade Amendola - can split the cap hit now and his $2M bonus we paid is said to have offset language (new team would take the hit not us).

Let Thompkins and Harrison battle it out, we could keep both if they force the issue. It would be a young, vibrant, well rounded group.

I expect a first round WR.

We would have :

#1 pick

Dobson

Edelman

for sure.

Boyce very likely.

That's 4.

One or MAYBE two spots left (not including Slater, he's just listed as a WR).

Thompkins

Harrison

Amendola

I would cut or trade Amendola - can split the cap hit now and his $2M bonus we paid is said to have offset language (new team would take the hit not us).

Let Thompkins and Harrison battle it out, we could keep both if they force the issue. It would be a young, vibrant, well rounded group.

Don't forget Le Fell, I don't see Harrison, Boyce or Thomkins being a factor if a round 1 WR is brought in unless Dobson is placed on IR.

Don't forget Le Fell, I don't see Harrison, Boyce or Thomkins being a factor if a round 1 WR is brought in unless Dobson is placed on IR.
Crap you're right.

Dobson
Edelman
LaFell
---------- 4 above for sure
Boyce
Amendola
Thompkins
Harrison
---------- 4 above battling for 1 maybe 2

Personally I still like someone like Tuitt in the first round but I can't help but think it'll be a WR.

Kyle van noy looks like a strong possibility at 29.

I am good with that pick in the second round. The Patriots, shock, trade back and take him either mid-second or 29'th in the second round. Taking him at 29 seems like a reach.

More evidence that the Patriots are interested in Running Backs

at Towson pro day 22 NFL teams here including Patriots' Mike Lombardi Oakland Raiders scout Raleigh McKenzie Ravens here Eagles Saints jags

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/453239748786917376

Most likely there to look at Terrance West

Edit: Be cautious about reports that West weighed in at 262lbs - people seem to be repeating an initial misprint from an original tweet. To be 262lbs, he'd have had to put on 40lbs since the combine.

Most likely there to look at Terrance West

He's one of my favorites in the draft. I love the patience and decisiveness he displays when hitting the hole. It was a pure joy looking at him rise to the occasion for Towson during their run through the FCS playoffs, especially Towson v. Eastern Illinois/Washington in the cold weather.

A power back that looked comfortable playing inclement weather could pay big dividends in the close games/playoffs when playing ahead with a lead and grinding out a victory.

A suitable replacement for Blount in our running back stable.

Look. Are they really going to add Geraldo Boldewijn, Eathyn Manumaleuna and CJ Fiedorowicz to a team that already has Michael Hoomanawanui on it?

Personally, I'm still in recovery from Gene Mruczkowski.

NFL Draft 2014: Sleeper Interior Lineman Matt Paradis

Paradis' strengths are his quick feet after the snap. He moves defenders backward in the run game and is excellent in short yardage runs. Paradis is a tough player who grinds out every play. He's the type of leader you want on your offensive line -- an intangibles type of player. Paradis works harder than anyone on the field and has great football IQ. He recognizes blitz packages before the snap and is great at anticipating where to be before the play even develops.

The only thing that hurts Paradis' draft stock is his size and his lack of athleticism. He isn't going to blow scouts away with his hip movement and speed. At 306 pounds, he can't get much bigger for his height. He's built well but may struggle against bigger linemen.

Add Zach Mettenberger to the list of contacts. According to Albert Breer we met with him today.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 4m
Patriots were also meeting with LSU WR Jarvis Landry in Baton Rouge this afternoon.

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 2m
New England Patriots working out Logan Thomas/QB/Virginia Tech and DJ Coles/WR/Virginia Tech tomorrow...

Quarterbacks

Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State (PW)
Connor Shaw, QB, S Carolina (PW)
Jeff Matthews, QB, Cornell (U)
Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (OV)
Johnny Manziel, QB, TAMU (OV)
Blake Bortles, QB, UCF (U)
Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State (PW)
Zach Mettenberger QB, LSU
Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech

Wow.

Quarterbacks

Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State (PW)
Connor Shaw, QB, S Carolina (PW)
Jeff Matthews, QB, Cornell (U)
Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (OV)
Johnny Manziel, QB, TAMU (OV)
Blake Bortles, QB, UCF (U)
Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State (PW)
Zach Mettenberger QB, LSU
Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech

Wow.

They know Mallett is gone next year - he has no reason to stay, as he'll likely get an opportunity to compete for a starting job with a team that has QB issues. BB has gone with a rookie as #2 QB just one time, with Brian Hoyer in 2009, and even that wasn't the plan - Hoyer just flat out beat the incumbents Kevin O'Connell and Matt Gutierrez. I fully expect the team will be carrying a 3rd QB this year who will have a year to develop into the #2 QB. Question is, who will it be?

That's two more QBs and two more WRs today. Immediate needs be damned!

The names we haven't contacted yet as far as we know might be as instructive as those we have, in particular Allen Robinson and AJ McCarron. And does anyone else think that no contact with Derek Carr (yet) suggests that we think he's going to be taken higher than Manziel/Bridgewater. It just seems a little odd that we've done the other big three but not Carr.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back