PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013 Wide Receiver Watch

Agree with this completely. I think the whole draft is predicated on what happens in FA, particularly Welker, Vollmer and Talib. Not re-signing any of these three creates a big hole. Other than that, I don't think there are any major holes that need to be filled giving BB some real options but also making it very hard to predict.

Can bring all 22 starters back if we keep them. I'm going to wait until the season is over and rank our starters from 1-22. Try to get a feel for our needs/upgrades that way. Especially, if we keep those 3 ufa's.

We have tremendous depth too. At nearly every position. WR maybe the weakest if we don't keep Edelman too. I'm assuming we have to keep White Wes.

Depth
QB - R. Mallett - Very good backup. We think. Still unproven though.

RB - S. Vereen, B. Bolden and J. Demps - Pretty good. Outstanding if we keep Woody.

WR - Just Edelman if we keep him. Need a player if we don't keep him.

TE - Just a hunch. I think we keep Hoo Man and J. Ballard. Let Fells walk. Good

C - N. McDonald and D. Connolly - Very good

G - Really just D. Thomas. He could walk. Area of need.

T - Cannon and Zusevics. Prob as good as any team in the league. If we keep Vollmer no need.

DT - K. Love - I view Deaderick as a backup so depth good. Need a starter IMO. Possibly, M. Fortson can develop.

DE - J. Francis, J. Cunningham and J. Bequette. Pretty good. I think Hightower can play here and we can always bring T. Scott back. Might sign Armstead too. Good depth

LB - Ugh. I like Fletch. He'll be back. T.White is a good ST player and a vet. A need for a fast OLB type. Because all 3 starters can play MLB.

CB - Dowling and M. Cole - If you can count on Dowling, not much of a need. I'm not. So, I count it as a need.

S - T. Wilson and N. Ebner. Slight need.

I have 5 areas of need if keep our 3 big free agents.

1. DT - Maybe even a starter
2. WR - Would love to get a good prospect in 2nd.
3. CB - Too many sub packages and can't count on Dowling.
4. OLB - If we had an injury to a starter, Fletch is starting?? We got kinda lucky this year. We didn't even have him. Would prob have to move Ninko.
5. G - If we keep D. Thomas no need. If not. I'd like to get one

Can bring all 22 starters back if we keep them. I'm going to wait until the season is over and rank our starters from 1-22. Try to get a feel for our needs/upgrades that way. Especially, if we keep those 3 ufa's.

We have tremendous depth too. At nearly every position. WR maybe the weakest if we don't keep Edelman too. I'm assuming we have to keep White Wes.

Depth
QB - R. Mallett - Very good backup. We think. Still unproven though.

RB - S. Vereen, B. Bolden and J. Demps - Pretty good. Outstanding if we keep Woody.

WR - Just Edelman if we keep him. Need a player if we don't keep him.

TE - Just a hunch. I think we keep Hoo Man and J. Ballard. Let Fells walk. Good

C - N. McDonald and D. Connolly - Very good

G - Really just D. Thomas. He could walk. Area of need.

T - Cannon and Zusevics. Prob as good as any team in the league. If we keep Vollmer no need.

DT - K. Love - I view Deaderick as a backup so depth good. Need a starter IMO. Possibly, M. Fortson can develop.

DE - J. Francis, J. Cunningham and J. Bequette. Pretty good. I think Hightower can play here and we can always bring T. Scott back. Might sign Armstead too. Good depth

LB - Ugh. I like Fletch. He'll be back. T.White is a good ST player and a vet. A need for a fast OLB type. Because all 3 starters can play MLB.

CB - Dowling and M. Cole - If you can count on Dowling, not much of a need. I'm not. So, I count it as a need.

S - T. Wilson and N. Ebner. Slight need.

I have 5 areas of need if keep our 3 big free agents.

1. DT - Maybe even a starter
2. WR - Would love to get a good prospect in 2nd.
3. CB - Too many sub packages and can't count on Dowling.
4. OLB - If we had an injury to a starter, Fletch is starting?? We got kinda lucky this year. We didn't even have him. Would prob have to move Ninko.
5. G - If we keep D. Thomas no need. If not. I'd like to get one

It's a good list. I think TE will depend on how Ballard comes back from injury. Hooman has shown himself to be a trusted blocker but hasn't been used much as a catcher. Fells hasn't shown much at all. If they think Ballard will be an effective TE then fine, but it's clearly an important position for BB and despite all the injuries, no-one has stepped up as a reliable target so I think they could still draft someone, particularly if they're not comfortable with Ballard's recovery.

As for CB, you can't really have enough. I can see it being drafted almost every year. And I'm not yet convinced that Dennard will be good enough as a starter. He'll struggle when tested deep as he's pretty slow. I like him but I don't want him exposed to some of the better faster WR's he'll have to face at some time. He's absolutely fine with safety help deep but relying on that limits the defensive options.

It's a good list. I think TE will depend on how Ballard comes back from injury. Hooman has shown himself to be a trusted blocker but hasn't been used much as a catcher. Fells hasn't shown much at all. If they think Ballard will be an effective TE then fine, but it's clearly an important position for BB and despite all the injuries, no-one has stepped up as a reliable target so I think they could still draft someone, particularly if they're not comfortable with Ballard's recovery.

As for CB, you can't really have enough. I can see it being drafted almost every year. And I'm not yet convinced that Dennard will be good enough as a starter. He'll struggle when tested deep as he's pretty slow. I like him but I don't want him exposed to some of the better faster WR's he'll have to face at some time. He's absolutely fine with safety help deep but relying on that limits the defensive options.

In a perfect world, Dowling would take the RCB job, leaving Dennard to replace Arrington as the slot/nickel guy. Allows rookie to break in without too much pressure. Also, have M. Cole. Doubt it happens. But, one can hope.

Where we target a free agent will depend what happens in free agency.

1. If we don't sign Welker, very early. Maybe 1st.

2. If we sign Welker, but not Edelman. I might say 2nd or 3rd round.

3. If we sign Welker and Edelman. Not really much of a need. Prob 7th.

WR is still a huge need even if we re-sign Welker and Edelman.

Edelman and Gronk have both shown they are injury-prone due to their hard nosed style of play.

Now we're left with Deion Branch as our 3rd WR going into the AFCCG. Not good.

Imagine Tavon Austin, Welker, and Lloyd at WR, with Hernendez and Gronk at TE.

Someone like Austin would add so much more explosiveness and big play ability to our offense.

He brings extra value as an elite Punt/Kick returner. He can play outside or as a Slot WR. He also plays RB, which would be perfect for the hurry up offense we run.

Last edited:
WR is still a huge need even if we re-sign Welker and Edelman.

Edelman and Gronk have both shown they are injury-prone due to their hard nosed style of play.

Now we're left with Deion Branch as our 3rd WR going into the AFCCG. Not good.

Someone like Austin would add so much more explosiveness and big play ability to our offense.

He brings extra value as an elite Punt/Kick returner. He can play outside or as a Slot WR. He also plays RB, which would be perfect for the hurry up offense we run.

After what I saw Sunday, I'm imagining Shane Vereen with Gronk, Hernandez, Welker and Lloyd. Can run the ball with him in that set. Or, throw to him.

How is he against press coverage?

After what I saw Sunday, I'm imagining Shane Vereen with Gronk, Hernandez, Welker and Lloyd. Can run the ball with him in that set. Or, throw to him.

I've been lobbying for that for a long time.

I'd love to add a guy like Austin, but not at the cost of a 1st round pick.

How do you guys feel about Aaron "The Marshall Plan" Dobson, and where would you draft him?

How do you guys feel about Aaron "The Marshall Plan" Dobson, and where would you draft him?

Just haven't seen enough to be able to form an opinion yet unfortunately. With the declerations and quality of WR's in the first two rounds, he's become the forgotten man of the WR class.

I didn't watch Marshall play this year. But, I remember watching them last year to get a look at Vinny Curry. Dobson made what might be the most insane catch I've ever seen. For those who never saw it. Here ya go.

Marshall

I didn't watch Marshall play this year. But, I remember watching them last year to get a look at Vinny Curry. Dobson made what might be the most insane catch I've ever seen. For those who never saw it. Here ya go.

Marshall

It's a great catch. But I'm going to raise your "insane" with this one:

Elvis Akpla Catch of the Year - YouTube

It's the control at the end to stop the ball hitting the floor that makes this catch for me.

i have a feeling this is the year we draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd that works. We need a deep threat to spread the field and open up welker, gronk etc in the middle and on the intermediate throws. Look what Russell Wilson was doing when Rice when deep every time getting 15-20 yards for 3 or 4 consecutive plays.

We seem to draft in 2's lately. TE, RB etc. Id be po'd if they did this early, but not completely off guard.

Ace Sanders from South Carolina is coming out for the draft this year

Ace Sanders from South Carolina is coming out for the draft this year

Love Sanders. Didn't expect him to come out, but he's a lightning-in-a-bottle guy who could excel in our offense.

i have my eyes on dobson stills and king

Anyone else really like Robert Woods at the end of Rd1?

He's fallen down draft boards lately. His teammate Hill took a lot of the spotlight and catches away from him.

Anyone else really like Robert Woods at the end of Rd1?

He's fallen down draft boards lately. His teammate Hill took a lot of the spotlight and catches away from him.

I saw a couple of draftniks say he plays like Reggie Wayne and we know BB is a fan of him. On the other hand, when Woods declared, he started moaning about his coaches not getting him the ball enough. That's not good, and with so many receivers in that range or a round later, he's probably a headache the team doesn't need. Just draft Wheaton, Patton or Hopkins instead - they're arguably better anyway.

I'm surprised nobody is talking about Cobi Hamilton from Arkansas. He's 6'2'' or 6'3'' and roughly 210lbs depending on where you look. Can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Acceleration is average but top speed is excellent. Enough strength to break tackles in the open field. Isn't without his issues that's why he can be had in round 2. I think he would be a stud here.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back