PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013 Wide Receiver Watch

any watched Devin Street wr from Pitt?

You have to take into consideration:

1. Welkers contract status is unknown. Its very possible that he might not be on the team next year.

2. Even if Welker is re-signed, he is in his 30s.

3. Lloyd is also in his 30s.

4. Neither Lloyd or Welker offer much as deep threats who can stretch the field.

5. Injuries happen. Having a good back up is a necessity on an offense heavy team.

That's exactly my point. Branch and Edelman have played a lot, and they have contributed almost nothing to this offense. What I was trying to say is that, even if we resign Welker, we still have more than enough room for a young wideout or two in our offense.

I'm still holding out hope we grab Dale Moss! Just think about it, how much would you give to hear "BRADY TO MOSS" again?

We take tavon austin at the end of the first and dont look back. Kids unreal, will make someone miss always. Can return punts and kicks and also had a great game when they used him at tailback agaisnt oklahoma which has a respectable D.

He's way to versatile to pass up and I honestly think this kid is the best wideout in the draft when analzying atheltic ability and production.

He replaces welker.

We take tavon austin at the end of the first and dont look back. Kids unreal, will make someone miss always. Can return punts and kicks and also had a great game when they used him at tailback agaisnt oklahoma which has a respectable D.

He's way to versatile to pass up and I honestly think this kid is the best wideout in the draft when analzying atheltic ability and production.

He replaces welker.

Don't we have a kid from Northwestern stashed on the PS to take over for Welker next year?

Also it seems like a lot of people on this board liked TY Hilton when he was coming out. I wonder if after watching him smoke Talib, BB does not look for that type WR in day 2 of the draft.

Don't we have a kid from Northwestern stashed on the PS to take over for Welker next year?
Nope, Ebert was cut and not brought back. He's on the Eagles' practice squad right now. I think his chance of making the team long term was gone after failing his first conditioning test.

He replaces welker.

Watching video of his game against Oklahoma, of all the impressive bits, perhaps the most impressive is this play. Watch him block the #9 for Oklahoma on the below play. Just shot up in my estimation with that play. See below:

Tavon Austin vs Oklahoma (2012) - YouTube

He replaces welker.

I'm not sure he'll look quite as impressive going up against NFL players. Also, does he have the TFB mind-meld?

I'm not so sure it'll be so easy to replace Welker.

Nope, Ebert was cut and not brought back. He's on the Eagles' practice squad right now. I think his chance of making the team long term was gone after failing his first conditioning test.

Maybe we justr esigned him, because I saw his name pop up recently associated with the Pats.

I really hope they take 2 wrs.I am a big fan of Stedman Bailey.He is more build then Austin.

what do you think of kevin norwood out of alabama? i have watched a lot of the bama games this season and i think this guy is clutch. in the bcs bowl he made some very nice catches and this season, he is mccarrons best receiver in the clutch time...

He was injured in OTAs, that's why he started on PUP. Others were on the PUP for a failed conditioning test but not him.

Luke Tasker is continuing to look good, I think he could be a good pick up late.

Ebert had a ridiculous combine.I dont know why receivers have problems picking up this offense.They have doned a lousy job in the draft when it comes to wr.

If we were to double down on mid round WRs, I would go for Markus Wheaton and Cobi Hamilton

What are the odds that BB takes a Tavon in back to back drafts?

I usually stay away from the smallish waterbugs, but DeSean Jackson's success has changed my mind somewhat. I think Austin is going too high for us to draft, but I do like Woods and the kid out of Knoxville who's name is escaping me at the moment.

Or, maybe we trade our second rounder this year for a future first of a crap team and get in position to draft Lee.

Not so much draft related, but WR related.

What does everyone see the team doing this off-season out of:
A. Re-sign Welker & Edelman.
B. Re-sign Welker and draft a WR early.
C. Let Welker walk and pick up another smaller receiver (Amendola, RFA Cruz, Henderson, Jennings).
D. Another change in philosophy, letting Welker go and we see a 2007 v2 (Bowe, Wallace) and Edelman plays a more explosive home run style slot receiver.
E. Let Welker walk and sign a few cheaper FA WRs and draft a WR early (Edwards, Roby, Gibson).

Last edited:

C. Let Welker walk and pick up another smaller receiver (Amendola, RFA Cruz, Henderson, Jennings).
D. Another change in philosophy, letting Welker go and we see a 2007 v2 (Bowe, Wallace) and Edelman plays a more explosive home run style slot receiver.
E. Let Welker walk and sign a few cheaper FA WRs and draft a WR early (Edwards, Roby, Gibson).

Your guess is as good as mine. But my guess - and it's just a wild guess:

1. They try to extend Edelman or re-sign him early. Lock up the young, cheaper guy first.

2. They put their best offer on the table to Welker early. Depending on what happens with Sebastian Vollmer's situation, they tag him if necessary to keep control of him. But if things aren't moving in the right direction fast, they look at guys like Amendola. Maybe Greg Jennings.

I don't think that Welker will try to break the bank and the Pats want him so I'm hoping for A. The Beatles - We Can Work It Out [Official Video] [HD] - YouTube

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back