PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 - Teams that will Regress and Progress

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Regress

Steelers - Lots a lot of veteran leadership is gone. Hines Ward, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke. Harrison and Polamalu aren't the game changers they were a couple years ago. Todd Haley is a fiery change from Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator. Not sure Big Ben and those young WR's get along with Haleys strict style.

Saints - This one is obvious. Lost their head coach and play caller. Interim head coach is even suspended for 6 games IIRC. Some players may be seeing suspensions also.

Chargers - Lost Vincent Jackson. Rivers had a down year last season which isn't a good sign. Could he see a McNabb-like fall from grace? Defense isn't getting any younger. This team consistently fails to meet expectations. Could it be that they just aren't as good as people thought they were?

Progress

Bengals - Andy Dalton and AJ Green are the real deal. The defense is solid. They have 2 picks in the 1st rd of the draft too.

Bills - Too much talent on that DLine to not be effective. If they can stay healthy, the defense should see a big improvement.

Eagles - Hard to see them being any worse than they were last year.

Lions - Stafford to Megatron is developing into an unstoppable force. The Lions should continue to progress unless one of these guys has a big injury. Suh will redeem himself after a bit of a poor sophomore showing.

Colts - Andrew Luck is better than any QB that started for them last year.

Can't Call It

Bears - Cutler and Marshall had great chemistry in Denver. This finally gives the Bears a WR threat that they've seemingly lacked forever. They should be better this year, but its hard to say how much they'll progress since they're in a tough division with the Packers and the Lions.

Jets - Can they be worse than they were last year? I don't know. Rex is a good coach. I think it depends on their first round pick this year. Do they add someone that comes in and makes an immediate impact? How does Mo Wilkerson develop in his 2nd year? Their D seems like it's 1 or 2 players away from being elite. But the Tebow/Sanchez thing has huge potential to cause distractions. Basically the same crap as last year, but now with Tebows always popular name thrown in the middle of it. Possible QB controversy. Locker Room could implode. This one is hard to predict. I think they'll be better than last year, but not as good as they were in those 2 seasons they made the AFC Finals.

The above is all just my humble opinion. Preseason hasn't even started, and the draft hasn't been done. Lots of things will happen from now until September. Hold outs, Injuries, trades, etc....

Last edited:
What about the "Eli"zabeth Giants........they face 9 Pro Ball level QBs this season.....

I think the Colts will be worse than last year, and the Broncos should be better. It's gonna be weird watchin Peyton play in Denver.

What about the "Eli"zabeth Giants........they face 9 Pro Ball level QBs this season.....
Hard to say. The NFC East is always all over the place. Giants have been inconsistent. Didn't even have a good regular season last year.

I think the Colts will be worse than last year, and the Broncos should be better. It's gonna be weird watchin Peyton play in Denver.

Worse than 2-14?

That's hard to imagine. I think Luck will be better than any QB they had last year.

I think a more pressing question is: will Rob Ninkovich continue to be the worst starter in the NFL?

I think a more pressing question is: will Rob Ninkovich continue to be the worst starter in the NFL?
I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

What makes you say this?

Agree on the Saints. If they want 27 back and will give us a #3 this year and their #1 next year, I'd do that deal in a New York minute. Might even do it for a 4 this year.

Agree on the Saints. If they want 27 back and will give us a #3 this year and their #1 next year, I'd do that deal in a New York minute. Might even do it for a 4 this year.

I thought they lost their #1 for next year, no?

What makes you say this?

Ninko played a hellvua lot better than McCourty. He was trash last year. I felt like the only reason he continued playing is because Belichick didn't want to hurt the captain's fragile confidence by benching him.

Last edited:
If you believe in curses, the Patriots losing the Superbowl is not a good sign for the upcoming year. Can't remember the last time a Superbowl loser had a good season or did anything worthwhile in the playoffs. There always seems to be a lot of injuries to key players too.

I thought they lost their #1 for next year, no?

The Saints lost a 2nd round pick in 2012 and a 2nd round pick in 2013.

Progress:
- Bills
- Raiders
- Eagles
- Cardinals
- Broncos
- Patriots (14-2, winning the SB)
- Panthers

Regress:
- Giants (they'll have a better W/L record, but won't win the SB)
- Saints
- Packers (they'll have a worse W/L record, but maybe they'll go further in the playoffs - the anti-Giants...so maybe that should go under "progress")
- Steelers
- 49ers (11-5, down from 13-3)

If you believe in curses, the Patriots losing the Superbowl is not a good sign for the upcoming year. Can't remember the last time a Superbowl loser had a good season or did anything worthwhile in the playoffs. There always seems to be a lot of injuries to key players too.

IMO, the only thing that derails this Patriots team is injuries...specifically, an injury to #12. Their D should be much better (how can it be much worse?), and the addition of Lloyd helps tremendously. I think they'll finish the year with the #1 offense in the league, and a top 10 defense by points allowed, and a top 15 defense by yards allowed. They'll go 14-2 and win the Super Bowl if they stay healthy.

However, predicting injuries is incredibly difficult to do, and they can undermine any team. So we'll see what happens.

I think the 'curse' angle is overhyped. The NFL is very competitive; there's very little separating a large number of good teams. It's difficult enough for any team to get back to the playoffs the following year; it's that much more difficult for either a winner or loser to go to the Super Bowl two straight years in the salary cap/free agency era. As you mentioned injuries, bounces that went one way one year go the other the next year, etc.

I have read previously that on average half the teams that make the playoffs one year fail to make the playoffs the following season. With that in mind I would guess that in the AFC the teams most likely to repeat would be the Ravens, Texans and Patriots; the Steelers, Bengals and Broncos would be the least likely to repeat. In the NFC I would say that the Packers and 49ers are most likely going back to the playoffs. The third team is a tough call; it could be any one of the four other teams. I'll guess Atlanta makes it, leaving the Giants, Lions and Saints out.

As for which teams take their place and make the playoffs I'll guess the Chiefs, Bills and Jets in the AFC, and the Cowboys, Eagles and Bears in the NFC.

Last edited:

I would not count out the Saints so fast. Brees is a whale of a QB and has almost all his targets returning. Grubbs replacing Nicks is not that detrimental to the offense.

If the defense is upgraded at all via the draft and they take quickly to the new schemes of the new DC, they will be back in the thick of it come January.

Regress

Steelers - Lots a lot of veteran leadership is gone. Hines Ward, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke. Harrison and Polamalu aren't the game changers they were a couple years ago. Todd Haley is a fiery change from Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator. Not sure Big Ben and those young WR's get along with Haleys strict style.

Saints - This one is obvious. Lost their head coach and play caller. Interim head coach is even suspended for 6 games IIRC. Some players may be seeing suspensions also.

Chargers - Lost Vincent Jackson. Rivers had a down year last season which isn't a good sign. Could he see a McNabb-like fall from grace? Defense isn't getting any younger. This team consistently fails to meet expectations. Could it be that they just aren't as good as people thought they were?
The #1 team to regress this season will be the SF 49ers. Mark my words: They will be lucky to win 8.

The #1 team to regress this season will be the SF 49ers. Mark my words: They will be lucky to win 8.

They play the Seahawks, Rams, and Cardinals twice each.

That's like 6 free wins right there.

...He was trash last year. I felt like the only reason he continued playing is because Belichick didn't want to hurt the captain's fragile confidence by benching him.

BB didn't want to hurt his feelings!?!?:singing::singing::singing::singing:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back