PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Season Prediction: Surprise Defensive Impact Player of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jermaine Cunningham

So many candidates — which I think is a good sign. Love all the rookies. I think Jones and Hightower are exempt from this thread because of the "surprise" factor. I'll throw Mesko in that category too, because I expect GREAT things from him.

Ebner's just destined to be a crowd favorite and I think he'll make some plays. Dennard and Bequette also will have moments. And I love that some people are going for Cunningham ... I liked a lot of what I saw in 2010.

But I'll go with Tavon Wilson. I agree that the revolving door nature of the BB-era defensive backfield will give him plenty of opportunity. I like the way he seems to approach things. And, honestly, I just have to root for a guy who was such a surprise pick that none of the networks or major sites even had a photo of him to show when he was picked.

I'll throw Mesko in that category too, because I expect GREAT things from him.

6th in NFL history in net yards per punt... And yet, still relatively unknown. But after this season, he'll be above Andy Lee (at least on this board).

#27, Tavon Wilson

Even if Chung is healthy Tavon will see a lot of snaps. He is smart and from
what I've read he is learning fast. BB drafted him for a reason and I think he has plans to utilize this young man's talents.

Ras-I Dowling. Someone needs to play well at corner for the Patriots. I'm going with him.

Suprised more haven't gone for him. I'll take him, Dennard and Cunningham.

Steve Gregory

I think he's gonna make a huge impact for us. He's gonna do what Dashon should have done for us last season but instead did it for the 49ers.

jake bequette i think will have a good year he played in a very good sec and was still productive i think he will be a sleeper. i thought dennard was a steal of the draft the dude balls! love the toughness. i love Ebner because he tackles! he makes sure the ball carrier is down. i honestly thought jones was a couple years away but the more i see the more i like, im a big ufc fan and if he is anything like his brother in terms of freakishness....WOW

I was going to be a sarcastic ass and say Sergio, but I'm going with Ebner. With what I think will be a greater focus on YAC by a lot of teams, his skills are going to come in handy and he'll turn some heads. Great to see sure tackling, and I'm sure BB loves it too.

Not going to get creative at all--I really think Chandler Jones is going to be beastin this year. 10+ sacks. :rocker:

I'll second the nomination for Steve Gregory. Last year the number one problem with the team was the performance from those that played safety over the course of the year; collectively they were out of position so often that they left cornerbacks alone, and those CBs got the bulk of the wrath from the masses playing the blame game for the subpar play of the defense, especially against the pass.

Gregory doesn't have to be spectacular, just solid; if he can manage to do that then that will have more of a positive impact in terms of improvement than any other player will on defense.

Impact players

Not surprising:
Jones, Hightower, Mayo, Wilfork

Surprises:
Wilson, Ebner, Justin Francis. I'll take a shot in the dark with Francis. He's buried behind a lot of depth but he has looked good and playing his way into a roster spot.

Turnarounds:
Cunningham, McCourty.

Both have been bashed for poor sophmore seasons. But they are still on the roster. I think they will make an impact in year 3 and we're gonna need em!

I really like Chandler Jones and Hightower from the rookies and Gregory from the free agents but those guys are expected to contribute and have been penciled in as starters from the first preseason game. I'll go with a longshot in Mike Rivera, LB depth is thin and hopefully non of the starters go down but but I can see this kid contributing. He's viewed as a plugger but he's a terrific athlete. Yes he's got a lot to learn but I think he can play. I think he's gotten stronger since he's been in the league which was a weakness coming in. "Big Time Mike," his nickname at Kansas, was a productive college player and has solid athleticism. He's bounced around the league some since 2009 draft but I think he can develop at this stage of his career. Some teams tried to play him at SAM due to his athleticism and size (he also played there in his last season at Kansas) but it looks like he's a better fit at Mike. I'm not saying he's going to be a starter but a contributor. Not sure this qualifies as "impact," but definitley would be a surprise.

Mike Rivera
Pro-day results:

Date: 03/10/09
Height: 6021
Weight: 245
40 Yrd Dash: 4.63
20 Yrd Dash: 2.64
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 6.67

I'm gonna say Kyle Love...i think he's really about to come into his own this season. The pats just extended him an extra year, and he has the physical measurements to be an absolute monster. I know it's not a sexy pick and not necessarily an area of need like the secondary where we NEED some people to step up, but i think we might have found a poor man's wilfork, and that ain't too shabby.

I will go with a longshot....

Brandon Deaderick...The more he plays,the better he looks,he does have decent speed for a big boy and one of the better last day draft picks in Belichick's tenure here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back