PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Patriot Picks: What players, what positions do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with you about Adams and I would never draft him early. I do however think that some team is going to see 6'8" 305lbs and good athletecism and think they can turn him into a monster. The reason I looked at OT wasn't because I think the Pats will draft one, but I think they could play an important role in pushing other guys down. If some GM see's Adams and thinks they can turn him into gold in the first round, than thats one extra player the Pats could be looking at that could fall to them. The higher Adams goes the better it is for the Pats.

And its 2:20 am here is Sydney and I only wrote this because I'm putting off doing a University Assignment due tomorrow.

I do think a run based team will take a flyer on him as a RT.
Lol. Slacking...I do that all the time when I have papers due. :bricks:

I have my eye on a few players that could help us that I would like to see in Foxboro next July.

Let's start with Alabama. Six guys on their defense would be perfect for us. NT Chapman. ILB Hightomer. ILB/OLB Upshaw, CB Kirkpatrick, SS Barron, FS Lester. A must have from the Alabama offense is OG Barrett Jones.

If we stay with the 4-3, a guy we must have, provided he continues to improve and runs well is DE Taylor of South Carolina. Big at 6'6" and brawny at 250 pounds or so. Rumored to run a 4.5 forty. Seeing him come off the edge would be a huge upgrade over grey beard Carter or sssllloowwwww as paint drying Cunningham.

On offense OT is probably not a need for us, but Martin from Stanford could be a beast for us at ROT. (Vollmer moves to LOT)

Also Stanford QB Luck, probably not a need for us either, is a once in a generation QB provided he stays healthy.

Also if we stay 4-3 the LB from BC, Kirchy I think, becomes an interesting kid to watch in 2012 as well as ILB Cauldon from TCU. At this point anybody but Spikes is my motto.

PS: Didn't Wilfork beat Spikes in the forty when both were at the combine?

Bad post.

Upshaw is mainly a DE/OLB. He has his hand in the dirt quite often.

More importantly, why would we move Vollmer to LOT and draft a ROT when we just used the 17th overall pick on LOT Nate Solder? Saying "OT is probably not a need" is a massive understatement. It's not a need at all.

Bad post.

Upshaw is mainly a DE/OLB. He has his hand in the dirt quite often.

More importantly, why would we move Vollmer to LOT and draft a ROT when we just used the 17th overall pick on LOT Nate Solder? Saying "OT is probably not a need" is a massive understatement. It's not a need at all.

Ochmed loves his Bammers. Just scored my tix for next week. PSU vs Bama 3:30p Sept 10th. Get a first hand look at the Tide. I'm right in the middle of their section too..LOL Got em from a friend with Bama connections. My memories of Barron are that bomb down the sideline he mis-played horribly against Auburn to start the 2nd half last year. I'll pass on him too. Not an upgrade on Chung at all. If we want a depth S, take one later.

Ochmed loves his Bammers. Just scored my tix for next week. PSU vs Bama 3:30p Sept 10th. Get a first hand look at the Tide. I'm right in the middle of their section too..LOL Got em from a friend with Bama connections. My memories of Barron are that bomb down the sideline he mis-played horribly against Auburn to start the 2nd half last year. I'll pass on him too. Not an upgrade on Chung at all. If we want a depth S, take one later.

Agreed w/ Barron. He seems like another safety who's a beast at the LOS but sucks in coverage, highly doubtful he'd be any better than Chung given how much of a difference maker Chung is in spite of his terrible coverage.

Lester is a different story.

Last edited:
Agreed w/ Barron. He seems like another safety who's a beast at the LOS but sucks in coverage, highly doubtful he'd be any better than Chung given how much of a difference maker Chung is in spite of his terrible coverage.

Lester is a different story.

PSU's quarterbacks suck too put it bluntly. Will be curious to see if Lester takes advantage of Bolden's inexperience and McGloin's inclination to try to squeeze the ball in there when he doesn't have the arm to do it. PSU does have some pretty good wr's(Moye, J. Brown, J. Kersey, D. Smith, C. Drake(watch for this kid. Was hurt last year. Might get a couple of reverses, wild-cat plays. He played qb in high school) I expect them to try to spread Bama out and try to dink and dunk. That's what I'd do. But, hey. I haven't won 401 games.

Next year the cupboard isn't empty, but it isn't overflowing either. In 2013 we have five picks total. We can bet BB will move a 1st and probably a 2nd into 2013, giving us 7 picks total. Keeping all that in mind let's talk about next year.

Will we spend another 1st round pick on the o-line? Emphatically,yes. We have to, any of you who have played QB,(even in the back yard) knows that if you can't step forward, bad things will surely happen, bad pass or worst yet an injury. Let's protect the franchise. If you're on your back, you can have Jerry Rice and it doesn't matter. Koppen's given all he can and we thank him.

1st pick- Mike Brewster C Ohio State. Players with his type of talent don't come by that often. Bad news is, we may have to go into the 15-20 range to get him, since so many teams are in need of a center. Cost could be 1st,2nd, another 2nd or 3rd. Let's say our 1st,2nd(OAK) and our 3rd.

(We should get a 2nd for Hoyer and a 4th(comp pick) for Merriweather.)

We trade our second 1st for a 2nd in 2012 and a 1st in 2013. We also trade the 2nd rd. we received to 2013. And in turn pick up an addition 3rd for 2012.

The 2013 draft is taken care of and we've secured our C of the future. What have we got left- 2 2nds- ours & Hoyer trade, 2 3rds and 2 4ths. We still need a safety #1 and olb #2. (backup C,G wouldn't be bad either). Of our two biggest needs should be able to draft 1 and hopefully get the other in free agency. As far as who to draft with our other picks, I'll leave it up to the Binky Bandits.

1st pick- Mike Brewster C Ohio State. Players with his type of talent don't come by that often. Bad news is, we may have to go into the 15-20 range to get him, since so many teams are in need of a center. Cost could be 1st,2nd, another 2nd or 3rd. Let's say our 1st,2nd(OAK) and our 3rd.

The Pats need a C, I won't argue that.

As to which C and when, in Scar I trust. :)

The Pats need a C, I won't argue that.

As to which C and when, in Scar I trust. :)

Scar might like Brewster. Dude is so Mangold like. Only rock on that pathetic O line for the last 3 years.

I like to use CBSSPORTS.COM for some draft info. They put up a couple of mocks last week. Gives you an idea where they think some guys will go. And, who they mock to us. I hate all four of our picks. 2 from each writer. Rang has us taking Greg Childs WR Arkansas and Brandon Jenkins olb - FSU. A de who might be able to play olb in a 3-4. Reuter has us taking Hightower. Don't need nor want a big, slow ILB. And, Chase Minnifield - CB - Virginia. I never have. But, if we spend that early of a pick on another cb. I may throw something thru my tv.
From looking who's out there according to their mocks. We could get Jeff Fuller in one and Devin Taylor in the other. Fuller and Vinny Curry(neither have him in the first) works for me. Neither have M. Brewster - C- OSU going in the first. If Oakland really stinks, it's a good possibility. We might be able to get him with their pick.

NFL Draft - 2012 Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Last edited:
I like to use CBSSPORTS.COM for some draft info. They put up a couple of mocks last week. Gives you an idea where they think some guys will go. And, who they mock to us. I hate all four of our picks. 2 from each writer. Rang has us taking Greg Childs WR Arkansas and Brandon Jenkins olb - FSU. A de who might be able to play olb in a 3-4. Reuter has us taking Hightower. Don't need nor want a big, slow ILB. And, Chase Minnifield - CB - Virginia. I never have. But, if we spend that early of a pick on another cb. I may throw something thru my tv.
From looking who's out there according to their mocks. We could get Jeff Fuller in one and Devin Taylor in the other. Fuller and Vinny Curry(neither have him in the first) works for me. Neither have M. Brewster - C- OSU going in the first. If Oakland really stinks, it's a good possibility. We might be able to get him with their pick.

NFL Draft - 2012 Mock Drafts - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Chase Minnifield is in all my current mock drafts. He's a complete defensive back who plays both left and right corner, and takes snaps in the slot. Excellent movement qualities. Tight, efficient, fluid coverage. Outstanding ball skills. Good size and speed (6'0, #195, 4.4). Right now he's severely undervalued, and may be available in the second round. I would absolutely love to add his talents to the team. He would allow us so much flexibility with Dowling (his former teammate), and if we drafted him, I'd take our secondary over any other NFL team.

C Ben Jones, UGA - Relentless and just doesn't let anyone win one-on-one battles. I'll be looking at the Boise game on Saturday to see if he can create seams in the running game. A 2nd round prospect.

DE Andre Branch, Clemson - The measurables are there and he has experience with his hands on the ground and standing up/dropping. Not a beast but the best all-around rush end/OLB type I've seen in a while. Also a 2nd round guy unless he blows up at the combine.

WR Dwight Jones, UNC - One of my favorites in this draft class. Doesn't blow you away with speed but has the ability to attack all areas of the field. Wanted to get to the JMU game this weekend but can't make it. Will be watching to see if he snatches the ball (he can get a little lazy with his hands sometimes) since he reminds me of a Larry Fitzgerald type otherwise. Lots of good WR propects in this class so he may slide, but should also be a 2nd rounder...pending a Raider-orgasm-inducing time in Indy.

I would love to see the Pats turn their 4 early picks into these guys and a 2013 1st rounder. I'm still looking for S and DT targets but haven't settled on anyone yet.

Chung will be a mainstay on the Patriots defense. Mark my words.

He gets high praise from Belichick. He's a high character guy. An emerging leader. And his on-field skill is good. He's a playmaker and good tackler. I don't see BB wanting to replace him any time soon.

It's the FS spot that we should worry about. BB has never seemed too high on Meriweather. Perhaps its his personality, or maybe BB resented the pick for some reason. He barely played in year 1 and has seemed to be in and out of the doghouse ever since. Meriweather seems like a "show me the money" type guy that will go to whoever offers him the most money, and I highly doubt it will be the Pats.

I accidentally left out Nick Moody on my earlier list. Old fashioned safety who hits like bricks and can fly around the field. Vicious hitter. Need to see him make more plays on the ball though. At the moment he reminds me of LaRon Landry coming out of LSU.

Chase Minnifield is in all my current mock drafts. He's a complete defensive back who plays both left and right corner, and takes snaps in the slot. Excellent movement qualities. Tight, efficient, fluid coverage. Outstanding ball skills. Good size and speed (6'0, #195, 4.4). Right now he's severely undervalued, and may be available in the second round. I would absolutely love to add his talents to the team. He would allow us so much flexibility with Dowling (his former teammate), and if we drafted him, I'd take our secondary over any other NFL team.

If Dowling can play free safety. I could live with it. If not, then no. We just can't keep drafting cb's.

I agree most mocks have Brewster being picked at top of second round, but because he is so special and teams like the Giants & Ravens need a C badly, I think it's highly probable he goes much higher. Remember how high the QBS went last year & most mockers had Aldon Smith falling to us around #17. I don't remember but I think he went around 6 or 7.

The guy I am most interested in seeing this year is Courtney Upshaw. A guy with real versatility and sound fundamentals has to be appealing to BB especially coming from Saban's system. Where he goes in the draft is anybody's guess at this stage.

Other than WR, QB, OT, DE and interior O-line positions, the ILB position could also be loaded assuming the juniors decide to enter the draft. There could be some excellent value guys at the top of the second round where BB really likes to do his shopping.

On a side note, I have seen posters on other draft forums mock Vontaze Burflict as the successor to Ray Lewis or the Ravens.

Also with the high number of potential franchise quarterbacks in the next year's draft, coupled with the amount of quarterbacks taken in the 2011 draft I am not sure there will be a big market for Hoyer next year and thus a 3rd rounder might be his ceiling.

I'd love to see New Orleans fall short in every possible way this season so we could have a shot at a big name. The top two on my list are Alshon Jeffery and Quinton Coples.

I hate wishing injury on anyone, but I wouldn't shed tears if Drew Brees suffered his own Bernard Pollard incident :snob:

I hate wishing injury on anyone, but I wouldn't shed tears if Drew Brees suffered his own Bernard Pollard incident :snob:

Seriously?.

Seriously?.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Even Peyton Manning. But, I actually like Drew Brees and the Saints. They seem like the NFC version of the Pats. I woe begotten franchise that turned it around led by a qb. Sean Payton publicly praises the Pats and BB as an organization to pattern yourself after. Wouldn't bother me if we meet them in the Super Bowl. End up with picks 31, 32. Heck, we could pick 33 if the Raiders stink. Which is always possible.

Scott Wright from Draftcountdown has a mock up. I thought he did a pretty good job identifying the top 20 or so players. Who knows what order they'll be in? He has us picking Malcolm Floyd - WR N Dame and Mark Barron - S - Bama. Floyd has some off-field issues. Barron duplicates what Chung brings to the table and isn't needed at all. My binkies weren't picked. Jeff Fuller and Vinny Curry. And, the early favorite for board binkie Mike Brewster not taken either.

2012 NFL Mock Draft - DraftCountdown.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back