2012 OL: Brian Waters' decision is the key

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
2012 OL: Brian Waters' decision is the key
By: John Morgan

While most of the discussion regarding the offensive line has centered on what the Pats may do regarding free agents Dan Connolly and Dan Koppen, the key is Brian Waters return. Waters - the team's best offensive lineman in 2011 - has stated that he will ...

Totally off-topic here but Logan Mankins is so overrated it's not even funny. I'd rather have Joe Andruzzi or Steve Neal in their primes. At least those guys showed up for big games.

The best guard in football? LOL.

Totally off-topic here

Absolutely correct.

Seriously, why did you feel the need to dump that turd in this thread, when you could have started your own?

Oh, that's right, you're not actually a Pats fan.

man, I hope this guy comes back. We need his help on the O line!

Please come back and finish the job.

Please come back Brian. I promise to Keep Baltimore Pats fan on ignore if you do.

Not one of John's better articles. He needs to proof-read so silly errors like this:

which shows that the Pats average 4.7 yards per carry when running to the right, compared to 4.3 yards per attempt when running to the right.

Don't show up.

As for Nick McDonald, the Pats thought enough of him to NOT cut him after both Wendell and Connolly were healthy and despite having Donald Thomas and Marcus Cannon healthy as well. The Pats carried 10 O-linemen for half the season. That's surprising considering they usually stick with 9.

Only 3 of the 5 O-line spots are settled right now. LT, LG, and RT. It's up in the air what's going to happen at Center since Connolly and Koppen are UFA and Wendell is an RFA. As mentioned, RG is up in the air because of Waters. That being said, I have confidence that Cannon could step in and be effective (better than Connolly, worse than Waters).

Team's best offensive lineman in this season.
Hope he will come back.

One of the most important player in this team.

I think this is one thing the 'a deep threat is the Pats number one priority' crowd is overlooking. Waters played as well as anybody for the Patriots last year. If he does not return it is almost automatic that whoever his replacement is, he will not be as effective in either pass protection or in run blocking. I think the Pats can live with losing one of either Koppen or Connolly (if I had to choose one I would prefer the younger and more versatile Connolly myself), but losing two (or all three) of those offensive linemen would be very difficult to overcome.

As the column points out, injuries are inevitable and you not only need top end talent, you also need quality depth. Without that a deep threat is a moot point; Brady will be sacked before that shiny new toy has a chance to run his route.

Connolly and Waters

Not much chatter about these guys but if either of these guys retires (Waters) or gets signed somewhere else (Connolly) the offseason goes in a completely different direction.

Instead of beefing up WR and defense the interior OL becomes a huge priority.

Personally I would feel a lot better as free agency sets in if I hear that Connolly and the Patroits have reached an agreement and Waters is returning.

Edit: Add BJGE into the mix, love his style.

Last edited:
Re: Connolly and Waters

Not much chatter about these guys but if either of these guys retires (Waters) or gets signed somewhere else (Connolly) the offseason goes in a completely different direction.

Instead of beefing up WR and defense the interior OL becomes a huge priority.

Personally I would feel a lot better as free agency sets in if I hear that Connolly and the Patroits have reached an agreement and Waters is returning.

Edit: Add BJGE into the mix, love his style.

I agree, I would think Waters would like to take another shot at a ring, he seemed to like the locker room here and could finish his great career on a high note after playing with teams with no shot much of his career.

I see us drafting a center in any event a decision needs to be made to try to sign either Koppen or Connolly.

Of course we would like to see Connolly and Waters back.

I'm not too worried. The gap between Connolly and Wendell is very small. Koppen can always be brought back. Cannon or Light could be moved to Guard. And of course there will be some very good G/C available in the 20-50 range of the draft.

As far as I'm concerned, Defense is the #1 and #2 priority this offseason.

I think the odds are pretty good that at least one or the other will be back, if not both.

And if we just get one (Connelly or Waters) then we'll move on and plug someone like Cannon into the starting role. We've all seen it before, so anything's certainly possible, but I would think that at least one of the two will be here for sure.

Good thought for a thread though, it is somewhat overlooked.

I really think we will add some interior OL in the draft. Everyone wants the running game to be better... turns out that the RB isn't the only one who has control over it. IMO Connolly is indispensable. It was a big loss when Hochstein left and now we are lucky to have another versatile interior guy who will start every game for the second half of every season.

I really think we will add some interior OL in the draft. Everyone wants the running game to be better... turns out that the RB isn't the only one who has control over it. IMO Connolly is indispensable. It was a big loss when Hochstein left and now we are lucky to have another versatile interior guy who will start every game for the second half of every season.

I honestly believe that if these 2 are back then we leave out OL unchanged. our line will be:

Light ---Mankins--- Koppen ---Waters--- Vollmer
Swing tackle will be the very talented Solder, Tackle/Guard Cannon, Guard/ Centre Connoly, Guard/Centre Wedell.

A more solid OL rotation i don't think i have ever seen. Solder would start on most other teams if not all other teams, Cannon is a very good guard prospect and a solid RT, Connely proved he can start in this league and Wedell is a serviceable rotational guy.

These 2 stay and i don't think we add a single draft pick to the OL other than maybe a FA to compete with Macdonald and Ornberger.

I really, really, hope both of those guys come back.

Brian Waters looked like an All Pro last year...no way he should retire.

Peter Konz, imo.

If Brian Waters does retire and the New England Patriots do not re-sign Dan Koppen, I could foresee the New England Patriots selecting a center in the second (63rd overall) round or the third (95th overall) round.

Second Round (63rd overall) - Ben Jones, Georgia
Third Round (95th overall) - Michael Brewster, Ohio State

2012_C NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I have high hopes for the future of the OL rotation with Volmer takeing over at LT and Soldier setteling in at RT and Light Rotateing in for his final year and spelling Soldier when he rotates out to TE. Mankins at LG and Waters and Cannon in competition for the RG spot with the lesser rotating in to either possition when needed. Lastly Connoly hopefully will be in competion at the center spot with an anticipated draft pick (possibly Brewster picked in the 3rd) with the lesser setteling into a rotation at C/G. This will leave one spot left to compete for as backup, possible T/G for the future Loss due to retireing of Light or Waters. I have no reservations as to the quality of the play with the above OL rotation possibilities. Unfortunately for Wendle he may be the odd man out, and I feel Koppen has seen his better days pass behind him. This line should be solid for the remainder of TB's career.

I think both of them get resigned in March or early April so the team has more flexibility come draft time. Hopefully they make a decision on some of the big WR free agents by then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes