PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Offense - As Good As 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, we need to have improvements on the defense. And yes, we are looking for a #3 and #4 WR to upgrade Ocho and Underwood.

But, first we have lots of work to do to maintain what we had in 2011 on offense. This is not a huge list, not worse than most years. But we should not ignore the needs.
==========================================

RB
Green Ellis is unsigned.

C
Connolly and Koppen are unsigned.

OG
Waters may retire. Many consider him our best OL of 2011.

WR
Welker and Branch are unsigned.

We will have achieved status quo if everyone is back (well, one of Connolly and Koppen). This presumes that improved production by youngsters makes up for diminished production from older players like Branch and Waters who seem unlikely to produce as much as in 2011).

BOTTOM LINE
If everyone is back, the primary opportunity for upgrade is at WR. At very minimum, we will upgrade Underwood. We might also upgrade Johnson and/or Branch. We could also add insurance/depth at TE; a Crumpler type player would be a fine addition.

We will still have an elite offense but I expect a slight drop off. The schedule of defenses we play next year looks to be a lot more challenging (barring any major drop offs) than what we played this year.

Considering that free agency has not even begun yet, I would say that it is nearly impossible to predict whether the 2012 offense will be as good as the 2011 version right now.

I agree.

My point was that we have lots of personnel moves to make before our talent was the equal of 2011.

Considering that free agency has not even begun yet, I would say that it is nearly impossible to predict whether the 2012 offense will be as good as the 2011 version right now.

...How could our offense possibly be worse than last year? We will have all the same parts, (barring BJGE, but Vereen and Ridley can fill in), and will most likely have deep threats next year.

Because our offense was pretty fresh and new. Now other teams have 19 games of film on it.

We could be hoping that Welker plays the first few games on his franchise tag, have no #2 or #3 receiver, have Wendell at center, and have Cannon at RG.

The point is that we do NOT have the same parts as 2011 unless our own free agents are re-signed.

Perhaps Ridley and Vereen can produce as much as Ridley and Green-Ellis. It is certainly not a sure thing by any means.

...How could our offense possibly be worse than last year? We will have all the same parts, (barring BJGE, but Vereen and Ridley can fill in), and will most likely have deep threats next year.

Last edited:

How could it possibly be worse?

Statistically, this was an immensely successful offensive year and an offense that was able to avoid serious injury until the AFCCG. We also played a very easy schedule.

It's not hard to imagine that the offense in 2012 doesn't put up as many points or yards as last season.

Still doesn't change the fact that if the plan for free agency HAS to be to retool the defense.

Connolly, Koppen, BJGE and Branch are all fungible. Not a single one of those guys is going to command a lot of money on the open market. BJGE would probably get the most but I can't see another team bending over backwards to hand him a huge contract. I like the guy and all, but would he really be considered a "big, detrimental loss?" We drafted Ridley and Vereen high for a reason. BJGE saw his touches reduced by 50 this year and was well under 4.0 yards per carry.

Losing Waters would suck but there are some solid guards set to hit the market.

The offense has potential to be better. But as long as the Defense isn't significantly better, they'll still be 1 bad Brady game away from being eliminated.

you mean one dropped pass?

The offense has potential to be better. But as long as the Defense isn't significantly better, they'll still be 1 bad Brady game away from being eliminated.

OL: Equal. Solder/Vollmer/Connolly/Cannon another year of experience, Light and Waters another year older, Waters could retire too.

TE: +. It's hard to argue the greatest TE duo of all time could improve, but I see room for improvement for Hernandez. He's great, and I think he can become a top 5 TE.

RB. Either - or +. BJGE, when healhy, (2010, early 2011, playoffs) is an above average, underrated RB. If Ridley can play like he did vs. the Raiders and the Dolphins, he may be a hell of a RB, if he's inconsistent/fumblitis, it could get worse without BJGE.

-Woodhead also returned to 2010 form towards the end of the season. He could be a 50 catch, dynamic RB.

WR + or -, I expect it to improve with the resigning of Welker, Lloyd/or other FA added, and a WR drafted.

Last edited:
Actually, the 2010 New England Patriots offense was better than the 2011 New England Patriots offense.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2011 OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2010 OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

2010 New England Patriots season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Statistics site Football Outsiders calculated that the Patriots 2010 offense was not only more efficient, play-for-play, than their record-setting 2007 offense, but was actually the best offense they calculated in their history.

Because our offense was pretty fresh and new. Now other teams have 19 games of film on it.

Luckily, film is not going to change the fact that basically no CB, LB, or S matches up well one-on-one with GRONK, and nobody in the league can cover Welker one-on-one for an entire game. :D

in 2010 BJGE and Woodhead had career years running the ball with over 1500 yards rushing and 18 TD's this year they had just over 1000 yards 12 TD's and a lot less Receiving yards,

my point is it's unfair to think that Welker and Gronk and Brady will have the same type of season next year, i think the best way to make sure you still have a 30+ point offense next year is to get a good return game on ST and a defense that can get fast 3 and outs. some dept at WR and a good running game would also help a lot

Outside of Waters (and Welker, but he's getting franchised), I don't really view that list as very daunting to replace.

The guys who are FA's are probably the spots that are the ones we could've upgraded the most. Branch at this stage is ideally more of a #3 WR than a starting #2 WR. Considering how much he wants to be in NE and a declining skill set that won't attract much on the open market, guessing that's exactly his role next year.

I think we will be upgrading if we hand over the reigns to Ridley and Vereen from Benjarvus. No fumbles is nice, but not when it comes with 3.7 YPC when the run isn't even what teams gear up to stop vs. us. Throw in just 9 catches and I think we become a tougher offense to defend with the more athletically gifted kids who have shown more pass catching ability.

Koppen/Connolly are both probably respectable, average starting centers at this point. They won't be very hard or expensive to sign/replace.

If Waters returns, I like our chances of being a better offense in 2012 due to upgrades at WR (whether it's through a deep FA class or deep draft class) and RB. If he retires, I'd say it'll be remain about the same.

It was a fortunate health year on offense, until the Gronkle. The two starters who were lost for a lot of the season had pretty strong backups. The more damaging injuries were briefer.

The most important piece of the offense, Tom Brady, is going to be 35 when the season starts and I won't be shocked if he starts showing his age. As we all know, he threw a bunch of untimely interceptions that changed the momentum throughout the season and that could be a bad sign.

This thread seems just a little premature.

I say it'll be worse if Brady shows some age, we don't sign a FA Wideout, our O-line gets and plays older, or our 2nd year RB's don't improve.

BUT..... it'll get better if we get a guy like Lloyd and also draft a stud WR, our line keeps it up, Vereen and Ridley become monsters in the backfield, and of course- Brady plays as bad-a as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots