PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 New England Patriots Pre Draft Contact List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lavonte David had a private workout with Bill? Isn't that the most telling telling sign of interest? I would be absolutely pumped with him- seems to have it all with top tier intangibles play recognition, and sideline to sideline ability. While not a true fit in the base 3-4 of old, the league has changed considerably and he could be an elite coverage linebacker- a role we desperately need filled in the short term (we had to turn to Koutavides and Tracy White for this last year).

Melvin Ingram
Courtney Upshaw
Chandler Jones
Nick Perry

One of these guys has to be wearing a Patriot jersey next year

What's your opinion on Chandler Jones? His body is elite level from my perspective. From the little amount of tape I've seen, he seems to have a lot of potential regardless of the numbers he put up in college.

What's your opinion on Chandler Jones? His body is elite level from my perspective. From the little amount of tape I've seen, he seems to have a lot of potential regardless of the numbers he put up in college.

I like Jones a lot.

Great motor, long arms, ideal height and weight, good but not elite strength/speed, intelligent, raised in a good family of athletes, competitive.

I like his instincts too. I saw one play this year where he's lined up on the right side, and before the QB even makes the throw to the other side of the field for a screen pass, Jones is breaking off his block and running to the other side of the field. Also tends to break up passes with his height.

With that said, he didn't even play the entire season last year and is a bit raw. Big time potential though. I like him in Round 1.

McClellin is another player I forgot to put on that list.

Last edited:
I like Jones a lot.

Great motor, long arms, ideal height and weight, good but not elite strength/speed, intelligent, raised in a good family of athletes, competitive.

I like his instincts too. I saw one play this year where he's lined up on the right side, and before the QB even makes the throw to the other side of the field for a screen pass, Jones is breaking off his block and running to the other side of the field. Also tends to break up passes with his height.

With that said, he didn't even play the entire season last year and is a bit raw. Big time potential though. I like him in Round 1.

McClellin is another player I forgot to put on that list.

That's a good bit of advertisement!

Most mocks have him second round. That means little to nothing, but its a good indicator of the value we'd have if he were available at 48.

Thanks for your insight. Hopefully we'll have more video available as the draft looms closer, as I've seen one and a half videos on this guy so far.

That's a good bit of advertisement!

Most mocks have him second round. That means little to nothing, but its a good indicator of the value we'd have if he were available at 48.

Thanks for your insight. Hopefully we'll have more video available as the draft looms closer, as I've seen one and a half videos on this guy so far.

I think Jones gets drafted much earlier than 48. Maybe even 20 picks earlier than that.

Jones looks really uncoordinated when he's trying to run, particularly when changing direction. Reminds me of a baby Giraffe trying to take it's first steps - limbs in every direction.

Shea McClellin has had 3 concussions. It isn't talked about a lot. But since he's already a fringe 1st rounder, that should drop him out of the 1st. 3 concussions are no joke, and puts him 1 concussion away from sitting out 16 games. Look at how bad its messed up Mike Wrights career.

The more I see Chandler Jones, the more I like him as a prospect.

The more I see of Nick Perry, the less I like him as a prospect. Stiff and looks like he doesn't like contact. Tries to run around blocks. Doesn't play as strong as his 270lbs weight suggests. Not aggressive. Actually reminds me of Jermaine Cunningham the way he tries running around offensive tackles. Doesn't have many pass rush moves. Had a great combine, but I don't see it on the football field when I watch USC games.

Melvin Ingram is at his best when rushing inside.

Last edited:
Re: Ron Brooks...

From Reiss:

Louisiana State cornerback Ron Brooks was spotted around Gillette Stadium on Tuesday, spending time with his former teammate, second-year Patriots running back Stevan Ridley.

Brooks, who is viewed as a mid-round pick by some analysts, was presumably taking a pre-draft visit to the Patriots. He previously worked out for the club with some other LSU players.
---

We've had Brooks listed as an official visit for awhile now, although I didn't find the source post -- just the V listing.

From Reiss:

---

We've had Brooks listed as an official visit for awhile now, although I didn't find the source post -- just the V listing.

Nice, I really like brooks with one of our mid round picks assuming we trade back and have an additional pick between 93 and 126. I think he is pretty ideal value wise for a FS conversion project.

From Reiss:

---

We've talked with his agent and confirmed it.

Thanks to all the posters that contribute their extracurricular time to this thread. Keep up good work.

Sirius NFL Radio had an interview with Mike Martin DT Michigan yesterday and he mentioned that he had a visit with the Patriots.

Sorry I could not find an article to back this up, but i just wanted to let people know.

Markelle Martin took a pre-draft visit with the Pats:

Patriots Hosted S Markelle Martin on Pre-Draft Visit - Pats Pulpit

The New England Patriots are in desperate need of safety help heading into the 2012 NFL Draft, and one name to watch is Oklahoma State's Markelle Martin. According to Anthony Slater of the Oklahoman, the Patriots were one of six teams represented at Martin's individual Pro Day on Tuesday, along with the Titans, Colts, Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Falcons. In addition, Slater reports that Martin has taken one individual visit, and that was with the Patriots.

https://twitter.com/#!/jeffphowe/status/193006767867826176@jeffphowe

The Patriots completed their 30 pre-draft visits yesterday. They can still travel to see prospects elsewhere.

Interesting that Pats have completed their 30 visits - we have tracked 18 or so through agents announcements, twitter, and so forth.

Of which one was offense.

I would have no problem at all if the first four picks were all defense.

While the on-site visits don't always predict exactly who will be drafted, historically they have aligned with the team's areas of focus.

The reported visits were mostly DL and secondary.

@jeffphowe

The Patriots completed their 30 pre-draft visits yesterday. They can still travel to see prospects elsewhere.

The bolded could be the key in predicting the Patriots pick at the top of the draft. Perhaps.

BB met Devin McCourty at Rutgers:

Dante worked out Nate Solder on location as well.
Soundbites from Nate Solder - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

BB was at Darius Butler's Pro Day:
Darius Butler analysis - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy between this list and the one NEPD has. For example, they have Zach Brown and Doug Martin on official visits with the Pats. quite important for Doug Martin as that puts him in the three contact category.

I have huge respect for NEPD, for me it's maybe the best resource on the internet, but like everyone, there is the odd discrepancy on the site. I'm sure the list we've compiled isn't accurate. All we're doing is working off the information we've seen.

For example, NEPD has Markelle Martin listed as a multiple contact, one of them being watching him at his Pro Day - this link though shows that Martin wasn't actually present.

At the end of the day, none of us are perfect :)

V - Official Pre-Draft visit; visited team facilities/hosted by team in area
PW - Private workout held with prospect
AW - Attended open workout on Campus
C - Position Coach or Coordinator contact
MC - Team has spoken to player or agent or had on-Campus visit; miscellaneous contact
APD - Team official has attended Pro-Day
I - Interviewed at Combine/All-Star game
RI - Rumoured interest

NB: All players in larger font, and Bold, Italic and Underline, have met the "Three Contact Rule". To meet the TCR, a prospect must have three confirmed contacts (RI does not count). The TCR implies that the Patriots are very very interested in them, and there's a very good chance we'll draft them. Don't take it for granted though.

QB: Ryan Lindley, San Diego State - APD (JMc)
QB: Patrick Witt, Yale - APD, PW

RB: Travaris Cadet, Appalachian State - RI
RB: Doug Martin, Boise - APD, PW, V
RB: Isiah Pead, Cinncy - PW
RB: Chris Rainey, Florida - APD, PW
RB: Michael Smith, Utah - MC
RB: Fozzy Whittaker, Texas - PW
RB: David Wilson, Virginia Tech - V

FB: Emil Igwenagu, UMass - I, APD

WR: Joe Adams, Arkansas - I, APD, MC
WR: Josh Bellamy, Louisville - PW
WR: Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma - APD
WR: A.J Jenkins, Illinois - APD, I
WR: Brandon Kinnie - APD, PW
WR: Cody Pearcy, Huntingdon - MC
WR: Darius Reynolds, Iowa State - APD, PW (CoS)
WR: Deonte Thompson, Florida - APD, MC

TE: Les Brown, BYU - APD, MC
TE: Eric Lair, Minnesota - MC
TE: Adrian Robinson, Cinncy - APD, PW
TE: Rich Rossi, Sacred Heart - APD, MC

OC: Chris Anzevino, Kent State - APD, PW

OG: Tony Bergstrom, Utah - APD (DS)
OG: John Cullen, Utah - APD (DS)
OG: Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State - RI
OG: Mark Spinney, Boston College - APD (DS)
OG: Johnnie Troutman, Penn State - I

OT: Marcel Jones, Nebraska - PW (BB)

DL: Armond Armstead, USC - APD, MC, V
DL: Christo Bilukidi, Georgia State - V
DL: Michael Brockers, LSU - APD, V
DL: Ronnie Cameron, Old Diminion - APD
DL: Anthony Jacobs, Minnesota - APD
DL: Mike Martin, Michigan - V
DL: Zach Masch, Hawaii - RI
DL: Josue Ortiz, Harvard - APD, PW
DL: Derek Wolfe, Cinncy - PW
DL: Jerel Worthy, Michigan State - MC

OLB/DE: Claude Davis, South Florida - APD
OLB/DE: Ryan Davis, Bethune-Cookman - I, PW
OLB/DE: Bruce Irvin, West Virginia - V
OLB/DE: Melvin Ingram, South Carolina - I, APD, V
OLB/DE: Chandler Jones, Syracuse - I
OLB/DE: Shea McClellin, Boise State - APD, MC
OLB/DE: Julian Miller, West Virginia - RI
OLB/DE: Nick Perry, USC - APD, V
OLB/DE: Courtney Upshaw - I, MC, APD
OLB/DE: Kyle Wilber, Wake Forest - APD, MC

LB: Zach Brown, UNC - APD, PW
LB: Lavonte David, Nebraska - PW (BB)
LB: Darius Fleming, Notre Dame - I (x2 @ Combine)
LB: Corey Hart, Alabama A&M - MC
LB: Noah Keller, Ohio - PW
LB: Luke Kuechley, Boston College - I, APD
LB: Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma - V

S: Jordan Bernstine, Iowa - PW
S: Trevor Coston, Maine - APD
S: Matt Daniels, Yale - APD, MC
S: Tony Dye, UCLA - V
S: Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State - V
S: Jeron McMillian, Maine - APD
S: Harrison Smith, Notre Dame - MC
S: Brandon Taylor, LSU - APD, PW (JMc)

CB: Omar Bolden, Arizona State - PW, V
CB: Ron Brooks, LSU - APD, PW (JMc), V
CB: Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska - PW (BB)
CB: Casey Hayward - MC, APD, V
CB: Trumaine Johnson, Montana - V
CB: Jeremy Jones, Wayne State - PW
CB: Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina - APD, PW
CB: Micah Pellerin, Hampton - APD, PW (JB)
CB: Ryan Steed, Furman - I

-------------------------------------------------------------
Pro-Days we have attended:

Abilene Christian
Air Force
Alabama (BB + JMc)
Arizona State
Arkansas
Ball State
Boise State
Boston College (DS)
Brown
BSN Showcase (FCS, D2, D3, NAIA)
Cal-Poly
Cincinnati
Coastal Carolina
Colorado
East Carolina
Fresno State
Florida
Florida State
Georgia
Houston
Hampton (JB)
Harvard
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas State
Louisiana Lafayette
Louisiana State
Maine
Miami (OH)
Michigan State
Minnesota
Missouri
North Carolina
Northern Illinois
Ohio State
Oklahoma (JMc)
Oklahoma State
Old Dominion
Penn State
Rhode Island
San Diego State
South Carolina
South Carolina State
South Florida (BB + NC)
Southern California
Tennessee-Chattanooga
Toledo
Tulane
Tulsa
UMass
Utah (DS)
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Yale

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A few names added, and some alterations to info we knew already. Still a small list compared to last year, I'll do the proper figures and final list during the week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back