PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Captains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take this as a good sign, though I don't know if it means much.

Remember a story about these votes, as the players vote and the results are "tabulated" away from the players, and then the winnners are announced. Not saying any shenanigans are going on, but the possibility of some management manipulation could happen.

A player previously spoke of the process...

Hopefully this bodes well for McCourty..

Last edited:
Offense: Tom Brady, Logan Mankins

Defense: Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty, Vince Wilfork

Special teams: Matthew Slater

McCourty a captain in 3rd season - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Interesting that McCourty was voted a captain. Obviously not just on-the-field leadership.

Why? On-field leadership isn't exactly so something we can comment on. Obviously you must lead by example and that counts towards your play too, but it's not like anyone stood out head and shoulders above him.

Last edited:
Remember a story about these votes, as the players vote and the results are "tabulated" away from the players, and then the winnners are announced. Not saying any shenanigans are going on, but the possibility of some management manipulation could happen.

A player previously spoke of the process...

Hopefully this bodes well for McCourty..

McCourty was the captain last year. Why would management ever manipulate the selection of captains. Some team's captains are appointed and other teams the players vote on the captains.

The most important role of the captains is to be intermediaries between the coaching staff and the rest of the team.

I'd guess that the coaches look at the ballots, and appoint most of the top vote-getters as captains, occasionally tweaking the raw vote to get more of a positional balance.

They can't gimmick the results by more than a little bit without offending the players who voted. But a little bit -- sure. E.g., if the highest vote-getter among the STers is always a captain, what player will complain about that?

What's this talk about "manipulating" the votes?

NFL Coaches are professionals and grownups. NFL Players are professionals and grownups who take the Captain vote seriously, as far as I can tell. The Coaches have to respect and deal with whomever the Players elect. If they can't they have bigger problems.

These are the same captains as last year, right?

Bill absolutely rests his thumb on or in the vacinity of the scale. And this is a team conditioned to follow his lead. There is no way the 2008 team elected Moss a captain coming off his end of the season issues in 2007. Similarly, Graham wasn't elected a captain until midway through the season when the team wanted to convince him that contract offer aside they considered him a key member of the offense... The other captains at the time were onboard because they wanted him to remain here. Didn't work. There was some speculation amongst the media that they might arrange for Gronk to be a captain this season as a means to growing him into a leadership role and perhaps limiting some of the off the field activity. Guess they decided that wouldn't pass the sniff test.

Sometimes we don't have a ST captain. Other times we only have 4 and Bill comments that's plenty. Still other times we have several... Situational captaincy...depending on what Bill perceives as team need or organizational need.

Still, beats the hell out of the methods Rex employs from totally jerry-rigged captains to honorary captains to no captains...

Hopefully McCourty actually plays more like a captain this year. That would be HUGE for the secondary.

This thread just reminded me...Santonio Holmes was a captain for the jets. Wow

Based on the way Hernandez has been conducting himself this offseason, I think he would be a strong candidate for captain next year.

Does this mean McCourty can't be my binky this year?

McCourty was the captain last year. Why would management ever manipulate the selection of captains. Some team's captains are appointed and other teams the players vote on the captains.

I remember a story, it is what it is a story..

There is nothing intimate any cheating, it was just a story.. that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back