PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Binkie Update Thread

Nolan Nawrocki said that Mark Barron played like Ronnie Lott on Sunday. I said he'd be good.

Alshon Jeffery had a pretty good game with 3 receptions for 80 yards, including a 42 yard TD. After a good preseason and a strong first game, I still believe Jeffery will be the best WR out of this draft.

Of my other binkies, Courtney Upshaw had 4 combined tackles (3 assisted) and 0.5 sack against Cinci. And Juron Criner was active but made no catches for the Raiders, although he had some good preseason performances.

Melvin Ingram looks like the best player on the San Diego defense. I still have draft envy, even with the killer rookies we landed.

Kellen Moore made the 53 man roster of the Lions

My binkies were RB Doug Martin and LB Lavonte David, both of whom were taken by Tampa Bay. Both started week 1. Martin rushed for 94 yards and had almost 120 yards from scrimmage. David led the team in tackles, for a defense that held Cam Newton and the Panthers to 10 points and 10 rushing yards. So I'd say both did OK for one week.

Joe Adams - barely gets on the field for the Panthers bar being their #1 Returner. Eventually they'll realise LaFell and Nanee are utter dross and that Adams is a shifty, reliable, brave receiver.

Joe Adams - barely gets on the field for the Panthers bar being their #1 Returner. Eventually they'll realise LaFell and Nanee are utter dross and that Adams is a shifty, reliable, brave receiver.

Who drops punts.... :)

fletcher cox - playing well for the eagles
shea mclellin - 2 sacks, but have no idea how effective he's been

my 2011 binkie list is killing me, though.......

jj watt
brooks reed
justin houston

jj watt
brooks reed
justin houston

Killing QB's too...

T.Y. Hilton looking pretty good so far with the Clots. :(

He was never a binkie but I did like Stephon Gilmore. Looked like a shutdown corner today and worthy of the #9 overall despite being railroaded by Bolden.

This still makes me sad:

For the first four games Barron played well, but it’s based on little things, not making the splash plays. Last week he broke through and tackled Robert Griffin III for loss, which was called back on a terrible unnecessary roughness call. That play seemed to get things started for him, as he played one of the better games I have ever seen from a safety this past week.

Mark Barron has been huge in the Bucs defensive development » NFL Draft Zone

Nice game last night for Doug Martin, one of my binkies for the Pats last April. 135 yards rushing, 212 yards from scrimmage, 2 TDs. Martin is on pace for over 1200 yards rushing and over 1600 yards from scrimmage. Pretty impressive for a rookie. He would have fit perfectly into our offense. Then again, given how well our RBs our doing, I can understand why we went with Dont'a Hightower.

Let's see how my binkies are doing-

Melvin Ingram?? Only 9 tackles?? I guess he still has a lot of season left but, Chandler sure looks good. :rocker:

Harrison Smith- Ugh. I love Hightower and do not regret that the Pats drafted him for he's a stud, but Smith would sure help our secondary right now. He's looking pretty good. :cool:

And then there's Stephen Hill, who after finding out where he was being drafted I decided to pretend I never liked him. :bricks:

jj watt
brooks reed
justin houston

Watt was my top binkie in 2011 - he has turned into an absolute monster since entering the NFL.

Didn't really have any binkies in 2012 although I felt that Doug Martin would be really good, and he definitely has been.

Just hope the Pats can fill their secondary needs in 2013. We need help badly back there.

Nice game last night for Doug Martin, one of my binkies for the Pats last April. 135 yards rushing, 212 yards from scrimmage, 2 TDs. Martin is on pace for over 1200 yards rushing and over 1600 yards from scrimmage. Pretty impressive for a rookie. He would have fit perfectly into our offense. Then again, given how well our RBs our doing, I can understand why we went with Dont'a Hightower.

Yup, Martin is a stud. But can we please give kudos to Pats scouting for Drafting Ridley in the 3rd round? I still remember how badly the Ridley pick was absolutely ripped by forum posters and the media alike. And he has only turned out to be one of the best RBs of 2012. On pace for finishing in the top 5 RBs and no-brainer top 10 RB production at worst.

Last edited:
Watt was my top binkie in 2011 - he has turned into an absolute monster since entering the NFL.

Didn't really have any binkies in 2012 although I felt that Doug Martin would be really good, and he definitely has been.

Just hope the Pats can fill their secondary needs in 2013. We need help badly back there.

Yup, Martin is a stud. But can we please give kudos to Pats scouting for Drafting Ridley in the 3rd round? I still remember how badly the Ridley pick was absolutely ripped by forum posters and the media alike. And he has only turned out to be one of the best RBs of 2012. On pace for finishing in the top 5 RBs and no-brainer top 10 RB production at worst.

And Ridley's one pace for over 1400 yards.

Ridley really does need more recognition. He's playing at a pro bowl level right now. Thanks to him, for the first time in YEARS I don't feel much of a need for RB's in the draft, we seem to have plenty.

Last edited:
Gotta raise my hand here, as I was one of those posters who ripped the Ridley pick
(and the Glas-IR at 33, Shane Vereen at 56, & Lee Smith/Markell Carter/Mal Williams
at anywhere picks). I felt that using 2 out of 3 consecutive picks on RBs - where good
ones can be found everywhere inside & outside the draft - while ignoring Pass-Rushers
was a fatally negligent waste of precious resources.

While you're at it, send another slice of crow this way for my pimping of Cam Jordan
at 17 & waiting for Nate Solder at 28. Jordan has done almost nothing whatsoever for
the Aints, whereas Solder has been a near-impregnable wall at LT.

And in keeping with the thread title, how often was Trumaine Johnson's name mentioned
by Nance/Simms? I saw the game at the pub, so the sound was unavailable.

And in keeping with the thread title, how often was Trumaine Johnson's name mentioned
He played 6 defensive snaps, so not a whole lot, I'm assuming.

Gotta raise my hand here, as I was one of those posters who ripped the Ridley pick
(and the Glas-IR at 33, Shane Vereen at 56, & Lee Smith/Markell Carter/Mal Williams
at anywhere picks). I felt that using 2 out of 3 consecutive picks on RBs - where good
ones can be found everywhere inside & outside the draft - while ignoring Pass-Rushers
was a fatally negligent waste of precious resources.

While you're at it, send another slice of crow this way for my pimping of Cam Jordan
at 17 & waiting for Nate Solder at 28. Jordan has done almost nothing whatsoever for
the Aints, whereas Solder has been a near-impregnable wall at LT.

I too was a Cam Jordan whore in 2011. Thought that Watt kid was over-hyped and lacked lateral movement (watched too much earl film of him, something I would caution against with Ziggy Ansah). Nate Solder's worked out OK, though.

I did want Richard Sherman in 2011. Win some, lose some.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back