Welcome to PatsFans.com

2011 World Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Feb 12, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +898 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Nice.. the earth is angry at the way is is being treated.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

Bush and Palin's fault.
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +898 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

No ... clearly the earth was shaken by Reaganomics and it's still reverberating.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Amazing! I love geology but now, with computer graphics, there's so many great ways to present the concepts in different time scales. People can see the impact of tectonic forces as they really are and don't have to adjust their concepts of time to appreciate them. This is such a great combination of visual, temporal and audio information. I've imagined this before but have never actually seen it put together so well. Awesome!
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

I am fortunate and happy to live in New England!!! Safe from this sh1t.

Yeah, we're on an old fault line, but I'm not worried about it cuz it isn't gonna see any action in my lifetime.

I always wonder how people in California feel on a daily basis with prolly the most dangerous fault-line on earth under their feet everyday.

I could not raise a family under those conditions. Maybe if I was born in Cali, I'd feel different. Thinking about massive numbers of children running from collapsing buildings would be on my mind too much....awful to me.
  7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

The New Madrid Fault near Memphis had a major quake in 1812 (before it was heavily populated) that would be calamitous if it occurred today. There was a 5.5 in Richmond,VA this past summer that was felt here in Philly. It was freaky when things started shaking for 30 seconds and picture frames got knocked over. It was only about a 2.2+ here but I can't even imagine what living under a major fault would be like....
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Thank god I don't have to travel a rickety bridge between two active faults to work everyday...

Oh wait...

Its February and I can surf and play golf...

every rose has its thorn
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  9. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Spent 8 years in the Ring of Fire. Was in three "big" quakes (6.5+).

Didn't spend a single moment thinking about it all the while dealing with Third world building codes. Actually thought it was cool to watch my swimming pool empty itself when the Earth would shake.

My wife grew up south of San Jose - the San Andreas actually runs right through the town. She also spent little time dwelling on it. She does mention "Earthquake Weather" a lot though; some kind of phenomenon that would happen before an Earthquake. Hazy, "still", quiet (no birds or animal noises). Maybe HD can speak to that.

PR - I would argue people in CA think about Earthquakes like we think about Hurricanes, or how Mid-Westerners think about Tornadoes. Accepted as part of the gig, but not really dwelled on.

HD - I am envious of you guys' weather opportunities. Didn't spend a day below 70 for 8 years. Now I deal with weather below that 6 months a year. However the wife wants to go back to CA...so we shall see.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I forget what month it is often, its thye same weather all the time. Thats why people say "Earthquake Weather" a lot. It gets hot and still, you are correct.