PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Team Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
DEFENSIVE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ty Warren is not going to be the same player that he was in his prime. He wasn't last year before he got hurt.
Wilfork has already lost a half a step. He is still a very good player, though.
Deaderick? Unlikely to develop into a solid starter.
Wright is an above average parttime player, but he is not the answer.
Pryor looks to me like a slightly better version than Mike Wright, at best.
Brace is a question mark... he does have potential.

OLB!!

I am very high on Cunningham, but after that it gets scary.
TBC is not a starter in this league.
Ninkovich I actually like (yes I actually said that before last week), but I think he is more of a 3rd down guy than every down player.
Guyton to OlB? No way, not physical enough.

RB!!!

Need thunder to Woodhead's lightning. Woodhead is going to be much better than everyone thinks, though. I'm not so high on BJGE. I question whether he could make most teams in this league.

ILB!

Color me skeptical on Spikes so far.

WW

Yes, Bodden is expendable because he might not have been re-signed had Belichick known that McCourty would be available and prove to be an adequate starter this season. He and Bodden play on the same side of the field. If McCourty proves by season's end that it's his job to lose. Why keep Bodden who New England had to overpay to re-sign and is older? That's illogical.

No they don't. Bodden played the right side last year and he would have this year. Butler and Arrington have played in his spot so far, while McCourty played on the left side. They did so in training camp when Bodden was healthy. Bodden = RCB, McCourty = LCB. Bodden is not expendabe.

I can see that some of you are complacent with mediocrity. That's fine. You fail to see logic because you fail to look at it with an open-mind. You're content with what's already on the roster, I'm not.

Yes, Bodden is expendable because he might not have been re-signed had Belichick known that McCourty would be available and prove to be an adequate starter this season. He and Bodden play on the same side of the field. If McCourty proves by season's end that it's his job to lose. Why keep Bodden who New England had to overpay to re-sign and is older? That's illogical.

I get your point, but we have invested soo much into the CB position the last few years. Extended Bodden. Drafted Butler/McCourty/Wheatley.

Not every pick works out, but I would like to give those players some time. Although in Wheatleys' case I have given up hope.

Last edited:
I get your point, but we have invested soo much into the CB position the last few years. Extended Bodden. Drafted Butler/McCourty/Wheatley.

Not every pick works out, but I would like to give those players some time. Although in Wheatleys' case I have given up hope.

I've given up on Wheatley and Wilhite.

Because he's young, really young, I can see myself giving Butler the benefit of the doubt. I mean Deion Sanders thought enough about him as a player to be a mentor to him leading up to the draft. For Butler, it might be simply a matter of confidence and experience. But he must attack that film room if he expect to improve now and going forward. And I must be more patient. But I like to see results on the field. I don't like to see players such as Butler or Brandon Meriweather get benched. Too much invested in them. But these young players must take the bulk of the blame for their shortcomings.

I can see that some of you are complacent with mediocrity.

Do you also see that this sentence, in pure English terms, doesn't even make any sense?

They just re-signed Bodden to a 4 year deal, and you really expect them to expend even more resources on the CB position and simply cut or deal their borderline Pro Bowl CB?

Talk about illogical. They drafted McCourty because you need three starting-caliber cornerbacks in today's offensive-oriented league. Period.

Anyway, I would rate the needs as follows:

-DE
-OLB
-OC/OG
-WR
-RB

That being said, I really hope we don't draft Cameron Hayward.

Last edited:

Because he's young, really young, I can see myself giving Butler the benefit of the doubt. I mean Deion Sanders thought enough about him as a player to be a mentor to him leading up to the draft. For Butler, it might be simply a matter of confidence and experience. But he must attack that film room if he expect to improve now and going forward. And I must be more patient. But I like to see results on the field. I don't like to see players such as Butler or Brandon Meriweather get benched. Too much invested in them. But these young players must take the bulk of the blame for their shortcomings.

Wilhite is our nickel cornerback. Not a bad return for a 5th round pick.

As for Wheatley, it's simply a question of whether he can stay healthy.

Wilhite is our nickel cornerback. Not a bad return for a 5th round pick.

As for Wheatley, it's simply a question of whether he can stay healthy.

When the secondary is healthy he's the dime back, so idk why the dude you're responding to is fussing about Wilhite and Wheatley (so yeah I'm agreeing with you). It's already been said in this thread, but corner is not a position of need at all. Right now through 4 games the Ravens have allowed the fewest pass yards, fewest yards per attempt, and fewest passing TDs in the NFL. This is with their best corner on IR and Ed Reed on PUP, so currently they have Chris Carr and Lardarius Webb starting at corner.

This is just me, but I'd go DE with one 1st rounder since there are several marquee 3-4 DE prospects this year with taking in the 1st, and OLB/DE or O-line depending who's available with the other 1st rounder. There are gonna be a few great WR prospects who fall to the 2nd round because of how deep receiver is this year, so that's a position they can wait on. If it's based off need, the 1st 4 picks should prolly be DE, OLB, OT, and WR.

Oh i agree. I don't consider Meriweather a young player anymore, he's 26 and in his 4th year. He is what he is, a talented but inconsistant player.

I think Wilhite is OK as a nickel/dime back, not good but OK. I like Bodden, and as long as he is 100% by next year im happy at corner. McCourty looks like player, McCourty, Bodden, Wilhite, Butler, maybe a cheapish vet, thats good enough IMO.

I'm thinking safety is a need. Our young CBs need good coverage help over the top and they're not really getting it. Sanders coverage abilities, modest as they were, appear to have deteriorated. Meriweather has gone Maroney on us. Chung can't cover very well yet. Who knows what Page can do unless we're playing Oakland (thought we're probably about to find out against Marshall).

Agreed, I really like Chung, but we need a ballhawking safety. Yes, like Polamalu, and I know I know they don't grow on trees.

Do you also see that this sentence, in pure English terms, doesn't even make any sense?

They just re-signed Bodden to a 4 year deal, and you really expect them to expend even more resources on the CB position and simply cut or deal their borderline Pro Bowl CB?

Talk about illogical. They drafted McCourty because you need three starting-caliber cornerbacks in today's offensive-oriented league. Period.

Anyway, I would rate the needs as follows:

-DE
-OLB
-OC/OG
-WR
-RB

That being said, I really hope we don't draft Cameron Hayward.

My needs are just about in lines with yours, but why don't you want Hayward?!?

If our top pick doesn't go to one of this players, I won't really be happy.
Robert Quinn, Marcell Dareus or Cameron Heyward, Mark Ingram, A.J. Green(after the Moss trade), and finally Patrick Peterson( or that kid from Nebraska,but PP is better IMO).

Here is my breakdown

LT/RT - Ok for now. Light has not shown a significant drop off so far. I'm good with Light, Seabass, Levoir, Kaczur (assuming healthy) at the tackle position. Would not go too high in the draft for a Tackle at this time. Maybe in 2012.

OG/C - We need to think about eventual replacements for Neal and Koppen, but I don't want to reach for this position in the Draft. I have no problem with Connolly as a starter. If there is a lead-pipe lock Stud OG/C high in the draft - great. If not, I have faith in Scharnechia developing mid round picks into serviceable OLmen.

WR - I'm not as concerned about this position as perhaps I should be given the Departure of Moss. I like what we have with Welker, Tate, Edleman, and Price. If these guys are healthy, I think we are looking pretty good. If a blue chip WR is the BPA in Round 1, in BB I trust, but the WR bust factor scares me. By all means WR depth can be on the shopping list in 2011.

RB - This is a need to replace the aging Taylor and Morris. I have no problem with BJGE as our Bell Cow. I don't think we need to spend a first round pick on this position.

DL - If we have a very high first rounder from Oakland, I think we need to do our due diligence. If there is a stud 3/4 DE or NT high in the draft then by all means, lets draft him.

ILB - All set thank you.

OLB - I like TBC and Cunningham, but I hate the incessant b!tching about a lack of pass rush. Go get Robert Quinn.

CB - Darius, oh Darius - where art thou? Apparently in BB's dog house. With Bodden, McCourty, Butler, Wheatly, Wilhite, this should have been the deepest position on the team. Going into next year, Bodden, Butler and Wheatly are question marks. Perhaps we need to spend another high round pick on a CB.

S - all set for now as far as I'm concerned.

K - all set
P - all set
LS - I think this position could use some competition.

Last edited:
LS - I think this position could use some competition.

I pretty much agree with your entire breakdown, including the call out for a long snapper. This may be our most obvious team need!

Butler and Spikes have been disappointments for me, so far this year. But I'm still hopeful they will find their feet. They're young and as long as they keep learning, I'm not ready to replace them in the draft.

Hernandez, Woodhead, Connolly, Ninkovich, Chung, Tate, BJGE and McCourty have all been great finds. That's a nice core to build a chippy team around.

The roster spots where we need competition for are -
DE/NT (esp if BB insists on playing Wilfork at end)
#2 RB
RG
OLB
LS
#4 CB
OC (although we may have this on the roster already but don't know it since Koppen has been so steady)

Spikes a disappointment?

:confused:

I pretty much agree with your entire breakdown

Thanks. Good news is that we don't have to reach in the 2011 draft IMO. I'd like BB to pick his spots in this draft and then parlay some 2011 picks into higher round 2012 picks. The reality is that we are not going to have more than a few open roster spots anyway.

Oh i agree. I don't consider Meriweather a young player anymore, he's 26 and in his 4th year. He is what he is, a talented but inconsistant player.

I just hope that Meriweather making the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement hasn't gone to his head. He isn't a Pro Bowl caliber player. He might not even be the best defensive back on New England.

Bottom line is New England is in dire need of play-makers in the secondary. Ideally, Patrick Chung can keep it up. But they all must step their efforts up.

At some point, I'll like to see Jarrad Page play more once he has learn the defense.

I would love to get a DE with the oakland pick.I think Prince Amakumara can hold his own with Peterson.I also like Brandon Harris from miami.Reminds me alot of Asante Samuel.

I would love to get a DE with the oakland pick.I think Prince Amakumara can hold his own with Peterson.I also like Brandon Harris from miami.Reminds me alot of Asante Samuel.

Trenches! It all starts up front. I think they will stay pat at tackle though with Light, Kaczur, Seabass. An OC/G would probably be smart in the first two rounds, maybe take two if the talent is there (3 picks in top 35-40?!). What I really want to see is some monsters taken on the defensive side of the ball. OLB, DE and CB (maybe a bigger man coverage type? Someone over 5'9" would be nice) I expect to all be addressed through the first 3 rounds. Corners have a high mortality rate it seems (maybe a product of smaller smurph types? How many years do we see our DB's dropping like flies?), so the extra body can't hurt, especially to push Butler/Bodden/McCourty. Just the McCourty/Bodden possibilities next year have me optimistic, too bad Bodden went down this year. it'll be interesting to see how BB plays with all the picks this year. Maybe he moves up in the first year? could be a deffinate if there is a rookie cap set up by the draft. ^ picks in the first 3 is just mind boggling though. You'd think people would stop handing us picks. They'll be able to move all over the place and scoop whoever they really want this year, no excuses if it turns out poorly.

Agreed, I really like Chung, but we need a ballhawking safety. Yes, like Polamalu, and I know I know they don't grow on trees.

I actually think Chung has some Polamalu like qualities. He's not in his class, but he's a good tackler/run player but kind of like the young Polamalu is a bit over agressive and can be picked on in coverage. Polamalu sorted that part of his game out and now is a great cover guy, hope Chung can do the same.

If he enters the draft, Marcell Dareus FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back