PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Statistic That Just Blows My Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Denver Broncos and the New England patriots are just one second apart - one tick of the clock - in 2011 average Time of Possession.

The Denver Broncos offense controlled the ball for 28:48 per game.
The New England Patriots controlled the ball for 28:47 per game.

They ranked 26th and 27th respectively in the NFL this season.

The only teams with lower TOP were NFL also-rans Seattle, St. Louis, Arizona, Tennessee and Indianapolis.

What does this mean? It means that the defenses cannot get off the field or the offense cannot sustain drives. I think.

Certainly the Broncos cannot sustain drives, although they led the league in rushing yardage. The Patriots can sustain drives but also score on big plays - a lot.

The Patriots defense struggles to get off the field and, I guess, so does the Broncos defense.

Anyway, a curious statistic to consider looking at the playoff matchups: NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Average Time of Possession (Excluding OT) on TeamRankings.com

Last edited:
The Pats also ran the no huddle a lot. I know many times Brady would let the clock run down in the no huddle, but many times he would snap the ball with over 10 seconds on the clock. When the Pats huddle, they defenitely let the clock run down more because Brady needs more time to see the defense.

It isn't the only reason, but it is a factor.

It's a good thing games are decided by points, and not yards or time of possession or 3rd down percentage.

Speaks volumes about how clutch our defense is in the red area compared to every single other place on the field.

I looked at the stats, they have some sort capabilities.

For the last three games, we are ranked 9th in time of possession with 31.25. The interesting thing is, the Jets were ranked 8th @ 31.38, and how did that work out for them?

I looked at the stats, they have some sort capabilities.

For the last three games, we are ranked 9th in time of possession with 31.25. The interesting thing is, the Jets were ranked 8th @ 31.38, and how did that work out for them?

Taking a sack takes a lot of time off the clock when you run around like a scared Chihuahua in traffic trying to avoid getting hit the way Sanchez does.

Denver with Orton at QB won TOP just one time in he's 5 starts with Tebow at QB they won TOP 7 or of he's 11 starts so there offense got better with Tebow,

with the pats yes they run a no huddle offense, yes the pass defense is bad, yes they dont run the Football in the 4th QT but with we forget is that a lot of teams game plan for the pats is to keep Brady off the field so it hard to win TOP when a teams whole game plan is bult to keep the offense off the field

Taking a sack takes a lot of time off the clock when you run around like a scared Chihuahua in traffic trying to avoid getting hit the way Sanchez does.

And it takes a while for Holmes to mope back to the huddle.

Remember my friend, it’s not how long it is – it’s how you use it.

The Pats also ran the no huddle a lot. I know many times Brady would let the clock run down in the no huddle, but many times he would snap the ball with over 10 seconds on the clock. When the Pats huddle, they defenitely let the clock run down more because Brady needs more time to see the defense.

It isn't the only reason, but it is a factor.

And then you have things like this:

G.Gano kicks 62 yards from WAS 35 to NE 3, out of bounds.
1-10 NE 40 (6:40) N.Solder reported in as eligible. T.Brady pass short right to GRONK to WAS 11 for 49 yards (J.Wilson, D.Hall) [B.Orakpo].
1-10-WAS 11 (5:54) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to GRONK for 11 yards, GRONKDOWN.

And this:

New England Patriots at 12:04
1-10-BUF 47
(12:04) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 81-A.Hernandez to BUF 3 for 44 yards (90-C.Kelsay).
1-3-BUF 3
(11:20) 77-N.Solder reported in as eligible. 42-B.Green-Ellis up the middle for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Patriots 12th 30+ point game of season, ties NFL record (Patriots 2007 and Rams 1999)

Great for the scoreboard, bad for the TOP.

You sir, just blew my mind apart

TOP is equal parts offense and defense, by definition. You can point to the D, but the O had many 3 and outs this year, as well running the no-huddle for half of every game leading to short drives in terms of the clock.

I think that they got to the same TOP by very different means.

Denver runs the ball and punts after 0, 1, or (rarely) 2 first downs. We pass the ball and score in about the same amount of time on the clock.

Doesn't really say anything about the defenses. Denver's D is on the field often because their inept offense puts them there. Our D is on the field a nearly equal amount of time because their struggles to contain teams from gaining yards between the twenties keep them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes