PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Offseason Outlook - Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to disagree on this suggestion:

Originally Posted by Peter King
(Q) What do u think patriots do in first round of draft
(A) I'd use 2 of those 3 high picks to deal up for 1 of the 2 top WRs.

This is why BB is Coach of the Year and Peter King is just an NFL columnist. . . .

Free-Agent Fit: Wide receiver - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston - Mike Rodak

Based on the discussion on this board over the last three weeks, there are obviously a few people here that will disagree with Rodak's opinion that the need to upgrade the WR position is low. Personally I'm not so much in disagreement with that point of view as I am with Brad Smith being the most likely target for the Pats; I would think Sidney Rice, Steve Smith or Lance Moore would be more likely targets.

Sidney Rice would be great if he's healthy. He's only 24 (same as Brandon Tate) and a terrific deep threat. Both guys have ball skills and can run routes. Branch, Rice and Tate as wideouts with Welker & Edelman all over the place and the TEs is a great receiving corps. If Faulk & Woodhead are both zipping out of the backfield, who do you cover? Rice, if his knee hasn't ruined his speed, is ideal as the over the top deep threat to stretch the DBs. Steve Smith strikes me as another Fred Taylor - way too much wear on the treads. Lance Moore? A 5-9 smurf who's had one good season, I'm not sure he provides the raw speed to attract enough attention deep that is the one missing ingredient by this receiving group.

I really want James Jones. He'd be a nice fit here. If not Jones, how about Malcom Floyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back