PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Offseason Outlook - Defensive Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
One potential area of concern is Bodden's track record with injuries.

Prior to this season, he played pretty much every game for the previous 3 seasons. But before that, he missed half the season in 2004, had a breakout year in 2005 but still missed a few games because of injuries, then spent most of 2006 battling injuries, missing 7 games.

He should be healthy and ready for TC, but I'd feel a lot better if Butler made some significant strides in the off-season. Arrington was decent, but inconsistent in pass defense. He was very good in run support though.

I do think we will need a safety if we're not re-signing Meriweather.

I cannot stand watching Bulter and Arrington as CBs. They get torched on the deep ball (eg: Jets Edwards)... Bodden is NOT a #1 (#2 at most).

I want Nnamdi. He said he wants to win, and $$ is not the most important thing (he is now 29). Imagine Nnamdi & McCourty. Anyone hurt, Bodden comes in. Or certain sub-packages you get more DB's on the field...

I think a 3-4yr contact for $10.5/year would be a good offer.

Opinions?

I cannot stand watching Bulter and Arrington as CBs. They get torched on the deep ball (eg: Jets Edwards)... Bodden is NOT a #1 (#2 at most).

I want Nnamdi. He said he wants to win, and $$ is not the most important thing (he is now 29). Imagine Nnamdi & McCourty. Anyone hurt, Bodden comes in. Or certain sub-packages you get more DB's on the field...

I think a 3-4yr contact for $10.5/year would be a good offer.

Opinions?
Obviously Asomugha would be an improvement - but at what cost?

With the cap returning - when football is played again there is no question there will be a cap - if the Pats utilize that much space on Asomugha, they're going to have to cut back somewhere else. I think DE, OLB and OL are bigger areas of need myself; spending a lot of money on a position that is at best your 4th priority reminds me of Matt Millen drafting one WR after another in the first round for the Lions.

Bodden performed well in 2009 for the Pats; I don't see why he cannot do the same next year. As for Arrington, before the season began he wasn't even expected to make the team: he was sixth on the depth chart at CB. At least he stepped up more than Butler, Wheatley or Wilhite did after Bodden went on IR. Between Arrington, Wilhite and Butler I would think the Pats should be in good shape for a slot corner as well as for somebody who can play on the outside in case of injury.

If this was baseball and there was no salary cap then I'd say go get Asomugha. But since this is the NFL with a specific budget that will be in place I think I'd prefer to see that same money spent on upgrading those other positions instead.

With the cap returning - when football is played again there is no question there will be a cap - if the Pats utilize that much space on Asomugha, they're going to have to cut back somewhere else. I think DE, OLB and OL are bigger areas of need myself; spending a lot of money on a position that is at best your 4th priority reminds me of Matt Millen drafting one WR after another in the first round for the Lions.

Bodden performed well in 2009 for the Pats; I don't see why he cannot do the same next year. As for Arrington, before the season began he wasn't even expected to make the team: he was sixth on the depth chart at CB. At least he stepped up more than Butler, Wheatley or Wilhite did after Bodden went on IR. Between Arrington, Wilhite and Butler I would think the Pats should be in good shape for a slot corner as well as for somebody who can play on the outside in case of injury.

If this was baseball and there was no salary cap then I'd say go get Asomugha. But since this is the NFL with a specific budget that will be in place I think I'd prefer to see that same money spent on upgrading those other positions instead.

So, tagging Mankins @ 10.5million for next this year is not-prohibitive? For a OG?

So, tagging Mankins @ 10.5million for next this year is not-prohibitive? For a OG?
A tag on Mankins would be to buy time to work out a contract. He would probably end up about $3 million less than that per year once a new deal is done.

You're also assuming Asomugha can be had for $10.5 million per year; I'm guessing his price is going to be much more than that. Don't forget Bodden's cap number stays on the books even though he would then be a backup/slot CB; he just signed a contract last year.

Look at this another way: what is the dropoff from Mankins to Wendell or a rookie versus the dropoff from Asomugha to Bodden? The best offensive lines are ones in which the majority of the line stays intact year after year. It's very rare that an offensive lineman can perform well as a rookie - and with more pressing needs (DE, OLB) we're talking about somebody that not even a first round pick either.

I'd love to have Asomugha on the Patriots; I just don't think it is very realistic.

If you cannot stand watching our corners as part of the 14-3 season, with the addition of Bodden for 2011, then I suggest that you might find another team who has better chances to win, or who are better run.

Last edited by a moderator:
It Is What It Is -- NFL Draft’s potential Patriots: Miami CB Brandon Harris -- WEEI.com

Brandon Harris
Position: Cornerback
School: Miami
Height: 5-foot-11
Weight: 195 pounds

What he brings: Harris possesses a very good size-speed combination and broke up 25 passes over his sophomore and junior seasons. His success as a sophomore made quarterbacks less willing to throw his way in 2010, but if he were to join a stable of cornerbacks that already features proven players like Devin McCourty and Leigh Bodden, pro signal callers won’t have as much of a choice. He has plenty of experience to back up his physical measurements, as he played in every game of his college career, starting all but seven as a freshman.

Where the Patriots could get him: No. 17, 28 or 33

While it would be surprising to see the Patriots use an early pick on a cornerback for a third straight year, it wouldn’t necessarily be the wrong move. Darius Butler took a step back in his second professional season and Bodden is coming off a shoulder injury.

Read more (and see a video) at: NFL Draft’s potential Patriots: Miami CB Brandon Harris

Last edited:
Patriots McCourty Admits Playing with A Broken Rib :Ian's New England Patriots Blog

As if cornerback Devin McCourty didn’t impress enough this season, fans learned Tuesday night that he also played through pain during his rookie campaign.

Jeff Howe of NESN reported Tuesday night that McCourty Jeff Howe of NESN reported Tuesday night that McCourty battled with pain from a fractured rib, yet it didn’t keep him off of the field and didn’t appear to affect his performance while he was on it.

Read more at: Patriots McCourty Admits Playing with A Broken Rib
Read more at: Devin McCourty Admits to Finishing Season With Fractured Rib Suffered in Week 14

McCourty hurt his rib during the second quarter of New England's Week 14 victory in Chicago. After forcing a Johnny Knox fumble -- the fourth consecutive game in which he forced a turnover -- McCourty landed awkwardly on the frozen turf and cracked the rib. He briefly returned to the game but sat out the entire second half against the Bears.

McCourty missed the Patriots' next practice, but that was all. He didn't miss a game during a tremendous season in which he finished second in the Defensive Rookie of the Year voting.

Nnamdi Asomugha Easy Choice for Top Free-Agent Cornerback, But Eric Wright May Be Best Fit for Patriots - New England Patriots - NESN.com - Jeff Howe

Jeff Howe takes a look at ten free agent cornerbacks.

Due to the prolific emergence of rookie Devin McCourty and the return of veteran Leigh Bodden, the Patriots have to be excited about their starting cornerbacks heading into 2011. Plus, Kyle Arrington emerged as a capable player on the outside, and Darius Butler showed some late-season improvements as a slot corner in sub packages.

Champ Bailey turns 34 in June, and he is about three years removed from being the best shutdown cornerback in the NFL. It makes sense for him to part ways with Denver -- he doesn't need to endure a rebuilding process, and they don't need to spend their money on stars who are nearing the end of their careers -- and he'd be a good fit on a Super Bowl contender.

Chris Houston was a star at Arkansas, and he was a second-round pick in 2007 as a result. Things haven’t panned out completely for Houston, who has some upper-echelon speed and good athleticism. He’s been lost in some poor defensive backfields in Atlanta and Detroit, so with some better coaching and more talent around him, it’s possible Houston could rediscover that confidence.

Eric Wright was very unspectacular with the Browns in 2010, but the Patriots made it work with Leigh Bodden after he spent some time in that system. Wright began his college career at USC before transferring to UNLV, and he was a second-round pick in 2007, so scouts at all levels have seen his potential. Since Wright will turn 26 in July, he’s young enough to revive his career, and he’d have time to develop in New England’s system.

Read more at: Nnamdi Asomugha Easy Choice for Top Free-Agent CB, But Eric Wright May Be Best Fit for Pats

Last edited:
Tom Zbikowski, Dawan Landry Would Add Reliability, Depth to Patriots' Secondary - New England Patriots - NESN.com - Jeff Howe

Jeff Howe profiles seven safeties and how they may or may not fit in with the Pats.

Even though the season ended sourly for Patrick Chung, he epitomizes the bright future the Patriots have at the safety position. Brandon Meriweather, who made the Pro Bowl in a down year, and the always-reliable James Sanders are under contract for 2011, and the Patriots also have a few younger safeties whom they like at the bottom of the depth chart, including Sergio Brown, Bret Lockett and Josh Barrett.

There could still be some turnover at the position with the possibility that Meriweather or Sanders could be moved this offseason, either in a trade or salary dump. And then there's Jarrad Page and Brandon McGowan, who will be free agents.

So, while the Patriots have to be optimistic about the safety position, there could be change on the way.

Diamond in the Rough
Dawan Landry, the older brother of Redskins safety LaRon Landry, has continued to get better in Baltimore's secondary and might command middle-of-the-road money in free agency. After learning the game from Ed Reed for five seasons, Landry should have the wherewithal and increasing talent to emerge as a solid player in the NFL.

Fit for New England
Tom Zbikowski is tough. We know this because he fought in a professional boxing match at Madison Square Garden in 2006. He's also smart and reliable, and he's got a good work ethic, which is demanded by the Ravens. Zbikowski has also been able to fill in for starting duty due to Ed Reed's fluctuating health status in recent seasons. And finally, Zibikowski played at Notre Dame, which has always been on Bill Belichick's radar. The Patriots don't need to land a starter in free agency, but they'd do just fine with scooping up Zibikowski as a third- or fourth-stringer.

Read more at: Tom Zbikowski, Dawan Landry Would Add Reliability, Depth to Patriots' Secondary

Disregard Meriweather, Acquire Bob Sanders.

Wes Bunting of the National Football Post has the Pats selecting CB Prince Amukamara of Nebraska at #17 in his first mock draft.

NFP Mock Draft 1.0 | National Football Post

The Pats have more pressing needs, but with plenty of picks in the first couple rounds they can go with a versatile defensive back like Amukamara, who I can see playing all over their defensive secondary.

Mock: Another year, another CB? - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Mike Reiss' reaction to Bunting's column, in which he has also has the Pats taking OL Benjamin Ijalana of Villanova at #28:

This could be a repeat of the way the 2010 draft fell for the Patriots. At the time the Patriots selected cornerback Devin McCourty, they had other pressing needs. But they didn't force a pick based on need and instead took the best player available -- which is a winning formula. This could set up a cornerback depth chart of McCourty, Leigh Bodden and Amukamara, which would rival most NFL cornerback trios, while intensifying competition for the likes of Kyle Arrington, Darius Butler, Jonathan Wilhite, Tony Carter and Co. The key in this scenario would be for the Patriots to strengthen the line of scrimmage/pass rush with other picks, which Bunting begins to address with the selection of Ijalana.

Personally I would prefer the team draft an OLB or DE with one or both of those first two picks.

Read more at: Wes Bunting of National Football Post has pats taking CB Prince Amukamara

I would have no problem with Prince and one of the OL's. In Bunting's draft, we also have the choice of picking Watkins or Carimi at 28.

Wes Bunting of the National Football Post has the Pats selecting CB Prince Amukamara of Nebraska at #17 in his first mock draft.

NFP Mock Draft 1.0 | National Football Post

Mock: Another year, another CB? - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Mike Reiss' reaction to Bunting's column, in which he has also has the Pats taking OL Benjamin Ijalana of Villanova at #28:

Personally I would prefer the team draft an OLB or DE with one or both of those first two picks.

Read more at: Wes Bunting of National Football Post has pats taking CB Prince Amukamara

How important is it to have good DBs?? Does anyone around here remember the last SB we won.....Troy friggin Brown was playing CB!! The best addition to the defensive backfield will always be a good pass rush. End of story.

How important is it to have good DBs?? Does anyone around here remember the last SB we won.....Troy friggin Brown was playing CB!! The best addition to the defensive backfield will always be a good pass rush. End of story.

I think we definitely need to improve the pass rush, but as far as the value of good DBs, the NFL has changed quite a bit since our last Super Bowl victory.

Green Bay won the SB this season with perhaps the best group of corners in the game. The Saints and Colts played a tight game last season where neither team could generate much pressure because of the QBs getting rid of the ball so quickly, and the clinching play was made by a corner. And I don't want to talk about the last time we went into a SB without decent corners.

I'm not saying corners are more important than pass rushers, just that the game has changed a lot since Polian modified the rules. Quality corners matter more than they used to.

Not really.

Wilhite was playing well at the nickel this season before his injury. People are still hung up on him sucking as a starter, but as I said he's adequate as a 3-4-5 CB.

Well said, sir.

The hysterics are equal parts amusing and annoying.

Wilhite is a SCRAPPER.

Not a good starter, by any means, but an hard working guy who I am VERY happy to have as our #5.

And I love Butler as our #4 with Up Side, and Bodden as our #2, in his Recovery Year.

That means we need #3, in my eyes, and I've got my eyes set on Curtis Marsh.

Nicely put.

The trick, it seems to me, is to keep Working The Draft to keep an abundance of Early Rounders flowing in, such as no one has ever done as well as Bill The Mad...That keeps High Caliber Talent flowing in, regardless of position, and dramatically reduced Cost, relative to Veterans.

Were we to draft Curtis Marsh ~ in the 4th, perhaps ~ to give us a Top 4 of:

~ Devin McCoury
~ Leigh Bodden
~ Curtis Marsh
~ Darius Butler

...I think we'd be in pretty sweet shape.

Add Kyle Arrington and John Wilhite to the mix ~ though I'd seriously considering trading Wilhite, as I've got my eye on Ryan Jones AND Josh Thomas as Late Rounders with UpSide ~ and we've got ~ are you ready for it?? :eek: ~ a Deep, Talented Secondary!!

On this, I agree with you.

Given my druthers, I'd have All Pros at all 25 starting positions AND backing them up. :D

But seeing's how priorities must be set, due to the Crushing Constraints of this Infernal Salary Cap: Putting the D Line FAR before the Secondary seems to be CLEARLY the better way to pursue Championships, as the success of our 2004 team ~ it of the THREE Rookie Starters in the Secondary!! ~ ought make clear to ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back