Welcome to PatsFans.com

2011 NFL-NFLPA CBA Negotiations

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by jmt57, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

Thought it might be a good idea to have one thread on the upcoming labor negotiations between the owners and the union regarding the CBA.

For starters, there is a website the owners have with a lot of links, frequently asked questions, and other information; just want to point out that since the owners and the NFL are providing this site there's probably a good chance the information is going to be slanted to support their position.

NFLLabor.com

Today's news: NFL players' union files collusion claim - NFL - Sporting News
  2. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

Although many do not care for his commentary on rumors and speculation, Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio has done a very good job in keeping NFL fans up to date with the labor situation for quite some time now. Here's a good overview from a column he did last week, focusing on what a lockout would mean.

Ten things to know right now about the labor situation | ProFootballTalk

Florio's bullet points are:

1. A lockout likely would begin long before September.
    2. The union has the ability to try to block a lockout.
    3. The owners have an alternative to a lockout.
    4. In a lockout, free agency would be tabled.
    5. The draft would proceed, but with no player trades.
    6. Say farewell to the offseason, training camp, and the preseason.
    7. Pressure points for the owners.
    8. Supplemental revenue sharing.
    9. De Smith’s dilemma, and possible agenda.
    10. The absence of gravitas.

It's a much longer column than what he usually writes, but well worth reading if you are interested in what's going on and some possible scenarios of what may happen soon.
  3. A.C Vegas

A.C Vegas Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

wait a sec here

Ok i have been lurking around and noticed a lot of trade rumors about players.

I am about 95% sure that players COULD NOT be traded while there is no CBA and since no trades are allowed untill the season ends offically in march and the CBA offically ends in march how can this even happen. I know that if affects the draft and players can NOT be trade for picks it's only picks for picks.

If i am wrong correct me cause I tried to look it up and i couldn't find it. I hope this tempers the trade talks a little
  4. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 2 / -0

Re: wait a sec here

They gotta get a new CBA sometime. Hopefully it will be before the draft rather than after it.
  5. Dufflebagz

Dufflebagz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If we don't have one before the draft I will start to seriously panic.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

My understanding is that players could not be traded for draft picks if there is a lockout - not that there could be no player-pick trades if there is no CBA.

I think that is an important but confusing distinction. While there is a very good chance that no CBA agreement will result in a lockout, that is not something that will automatically happen. The owners could decide to continue with the current rules, for example.

In other words, as soon as the trading deadline passes/restarts - on or about March 1st - players can once again be traded, and that would include being traded for draft picks.

More here: Ten things to know right now about the labor situation | Pro Football Talk

If I am wrong I'm sure somebody will soon correct me.

**Edit: see comment two posts down for correction.**
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  7. A.C Vegas

A.C Vegas Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

that all makes since. I am assuming and I am sure I am not the only that the "lockout" will start as soon as the season resets
  8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

No players can be traded if there is no CBA (in which case there will be a lockout) UNLESS ownership declares an impasse or the union decertifies. Either of those situations has to happen BEFORE the CBA actually expires on March 5th. In either of those two two scenarios there won't be a CBA but there also won't be a work stoppage. Instead the league will carry on into a season under work rules based on the last best offer management had on the table. Players and/or the union (unless it decertifies) will then be subject to those rules as if it were a CBA, although since it isn't they will likely commence a series of lawsuits to challenge either specific rules or the league's position itself as being in violation of anti trust laws. But in the meantime life and the games and things like trades will go on albeit under rules that favor ownership.

There is a third option in which both sides agree to simply maintain the status quo (old CBA) until a new deal is achieved. But ownership has already stated that option is off the table because they have no interest in maintaining that status quo. What that means is if there is football it won't be under the same conditions (terms of FA, rookie contracts, etc) as presently exist.
  9. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

I saw a tweet earlier in the week that the hold up is no longer the 18 game season or the Rookie wage scale. Those are supposedly done deals.

What I have heard is that the owners are bickering over how to distribute the money. Basically, it's the same thing as the last time. You've got your "rich" teams who feel that the "poor" teams aren't doing enough to carry their weight.

So, who knows what's gonna happen.
  10. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What I've read is the sticking point is that owners want players to put back a little more of their % of the take into the pie, to ensure uniform success for the NFL in general.
  11. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

A few links to the union's side of the story from their website.

NFLPlayers.com
    2011-Lockout-Central - NFLPlayers.com
    100 CBA Facts You Need To Know / News - NFLPlayers.com
    Fact-Sheets - NFLPlayers.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

Numbers Show NFL’s ‘Economic Realities’ for Lockout Unwarranted - SportsMoney - news on the business of sports - Forbes - 1/10/2011
  13. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

How Much Is The NFL Earning? Players and Owners Have Different Ideas - SportsMoney - news on the business of sports - Forbes - 12/17/2010

14. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

NFL Lockout Watch: Players Union Angered By Charge That It Wants Lockout - SportsMoney - news on the business of sports - Forbes - 1/13/2011

15. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

More Numbers Show Labor Issue in NFL Far From Cut and Dry - SportsMoney - news on the business of sports - Forbes - 1/12/2011

16. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

Instead Of Player Pay Cuts, NFL Needs More Revenue Sharing - SportsMoney - news on the business of sports - Forbes - 1/17/2011

17. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

Instead Of Player Pay Cuts, NFL Needs More Revenue Sharing - SportsMoney - news on the business of sports - Forbes - 1/17/2011

18. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

NFL labor pains: Part One | Going inside the CBA dispute, 100 days to go | National Football Post | Andrew Brandt | 11/30/2010

19. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

CBA Primer, Part Two | Retired players, player safety | National Football Post | Andrew Brandt | 12/08/2010

20. jmt57

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

NFL labor pains, Part Three | CBA primer continues: Bonus recovery, Drug testing | National Football Post | Andrew Brandt | 12/15/2010

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.