PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 New England Patriots Draft Big Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right on. Was going to post almost the exact same thing. That is the method. Now for the opportunity...

DE...Can find a candidate in each group (G1-Dareus/Watt/Jordan, G2-Wilkerson/Heyward, G3-Ballard, G4-Jenkins) except there seems to be a hole in G5. G6 has some sleeper candidates in Corbin Bryant and Frank Kearse.

OLB...Loads of candidates in every group. The only weak spot seems to be G4 (Acho likely landing in that group).

OG...Nothing in G1 and limited candidates elsewhere, but they are spread out among the other groups (G2-Pouncey, G3-Watkins, G4-Ijalana, G5-Boling, G6-Moffitt). Given lack of depth, players could be overdrafted so waiting too long is probably not advised.

OT...Most interesting position since the candidates seem very clustered. A handful near the top (G1 and G2) and a second cluster much later (G5). Get one early or pick your spots in the middle rounds. Don't expect much late.

C...A pretty weak class with a couple of guys in G3 (Wisniewski/Hudson) and a couple of stragglers in G5 (O'Dowd). The rest are late picks. This is the position where good scouting could find you a diamond in the rough and it probably makes sense to get one late.

RB...Like most drafts, RBs can be found throughout. There seems to be a cluster (Todman/Murray/Hunter/Thomas) in G4 and the scat backs (Devine/Locke) seems to be really sliding and could be values late. Patience is a virtue with this position.

CB...My favorite position in this draft class. Options and variety in every group. If you can't find value at another position, there will likely be a value at CB to be had.

S...Overall a bad group. There are some guys who were productive in college but have graded out poorly for one reason or another. If they fall enough, may get a value pick. Otherwise expectations should be low.

Not profiling QB, TE, WR, NT and ILB since the Pats are already well-invested at these positions. Now for the motive...

OLB is obviously a top positional need, but the real need is for speed, athleticism and violent power from the outside. Whether that is OLB, DE or a hybrid elephant role, really doesn't matter.

The OLine needs an infusion of youth and athleticism but this really isn't the draft class to do it. Biggest challenge for Belichick. Temptation will be there to overdraft guys. Just shallow enough that waiting could cause you to miss a run and lose out altogether.

RB is in good hands with BJGE and Woodhead, but need to add another option or two. RBs always go later than they should so it pays to wait for value. Wait on CB since someone will slip through the cracks. Be ready to get a FS type if a guy you like falls into your lap.

Put it together and you get something like (in this order but not necessarily at the current Pats draft positions):

DE Cam Jordan or JJ Watt
OT Nate Solder or Gabe Carimi
OLB Jabaal Sheard or Brooks Reed
RB Ryan Williams or DeMarco Murray
OG Clint Boling
S Deunta Williams
CB Richard Sherman
C Jake Kirkpatrick
DE Frank Kearse

Following your leads:

I’m also not profiling QB, TE, WR, NT, ILB and S since the Pats are already well-invested at these positions. I identified my position priorities for the draft.

OLB 3-4 – Priority #1
G1-Miller/Quinn/Smith/Jordan
G2-Houston/ Brooks Reed
G3- K.J. Wright/ Akeem Ayers
G4- Sam Acho/ Dontay Moch
G5- Chris Carter/ Steven Friday
G6- Ugo Chinasa/ Tom Keiser/Vince Browne/Quentin Davie /Malcolm Jenkins / Markell Carter/Erik Clanton

T – Priority #2
G1-Smith
G2- Carimi/ Castonzo/ Sherrod
G3- Solder/ Barksdale
G4- Carpenter/ Brewer
G5- Derek Newton/ David Mims/ Chris Hairston
G6- Jah Reid/ Curt Porter/ Willie Smith/ Josh Davis

G – Priority #3
G1- None
G2- Ijalana/Boling/ Pouncey/ Cannon
G3- Watkins
G4- Gilbert/ Pinkston/ Franklin
G5- Schilling/ Rackley/ Ziemba
G6- Love/ Hurd/ Jackson/David Arkin/Keith Williams

DE 3-4 – Priority #4
G1-Dareus/Watt/Jordan
G2-Wilkerson/Heyward
G3-Ballard
G4-Jenkins/BaileyMcPhee
G5- Romeus/David CarterBrandon Bair
G6- Corbin Bryant /Frank Kearse/ Kentrell Lockett/ Zane Parr/ Lazarius Levingston

CB – Priority #5
G1- Peterson/Amukamara
G2- Harris/Smith/Aaron Williams
G3- Curtis Brown/ Chekwa/ Marsh
G4- Burton/ House/ Wright/ Josh Thomas
G5- Jalil Brown/ Buster Skrine/ Carmichael
G6- Cortez Allen/Justin Rogers/Richard Sherman/ Van Dyke/ Ryan Hill/ Gaitor

RB – Priority #6
G1-None
G2- Ingram/LeShoure
G3- Williams/ Todman
G4- Hunter/Thomas /Murray/ Verheen
G5- Taiwan Jones/Delone Carter/ Da'Rel Scott
G6- Roy Helu Jr/ Jamie Harper/Craig Cooper/Stephan Ridley/Bilal Powell/Anthony Allen/Alex Green

C – Priority #7
G1-None
G2-Wisniewski
G3- Hudson
G4- Fusco/ Moffitt
G5- O'Dowd/ Kirkpatrick
G6- Bartholomew/ Barnes/ Kirkpatrick

Following your leads:

I’m also not profiling QB, TE, WR, NT, ILB and S since the Pats are already well-invested at these positions. I identified my position priorities for the draft.

OLB 3-4 – Priority #1
G1-Miller/Quinn/Smith/Jordan
G2-Houston/ Brooks Reed
G3- K.J. Wright/ Akeem Ayers
G4- Sam Acho/ Dontay Moch
G5- Chris Carter/ Steven Friday
G6- Ugo Chinasa/ Tom Keiser/Vince Browne/Quentin Davie /Malcolm Jenkins / Markell Carter/Erik Clanton

T – Priority #2
G1-Smith
G2- Carimi/ Castonzo/ Sherrod
G3- Solder/ Barksdale
G4- Carpenter/ Brewer
G5- Derek Newton/ David Mims/ Chris Hairston
G6- Jah Reid/ Curt Porter/ Willie Smith/ Josh Davis

G – Priority #3
G1- None
G2- Ijalana/Boling/ Pouncey/ Cannon
G3- Watkins
G4- Gilbert/ Pinkston/ Franklin
G5- Schilling/ Rackley/ Ziemba
G6- Love/ Hurd/ Jackson/David Arkin/Keith Williams

DE 3-4 – Priority #4
G1-Dareus/Watt/Jordan
G2-Wilkerson/Heyward
G3-Ballard
G4-Jenkins/BaileyMcPhee
G5- Romeus/David CarterBrandon Bair
G6- Corbin Bryant /Frank Kearse/ Kentrell Lockett/ Zane Parr/ Lazarius Levingston

CB – Priority #5
G1- Peterson/Amukamara
G2- Harris/Smith/Aaron Williams
G3- Curtis Brown/ Chekwa/ Marsh
G4- Burton/ House/ Wright/ Josh Thomas
G5- Jalil Brown/ Buster Skrine/ Carmichael
G6- Cortez Allen/Justin Rogers/Richard Sherman/ Van Dyke/ Ryan Hill/ Gaitor

RB – Priority #6
G1-None
G2- Ingram/LeShoure
G3- Williams/ Todman
G4- Hunter/Thomas /Murray/ Verheen
G5- Taiwan Jones/Delone Carter/ Da'Rel Scott
G6- Roy Helu Jr/ Jamie Harper/Craig Cooper/Stephan Ridley/Bilal Powell/Anthony Allen/Alex Green

C – Priority #7
G1-None
G2-Wisniewski
G3- Hudson
G4- Fusco/ Moffitt
G5- O'Dowd/ Kirkpatrick
G6- Bartholomew/ Barnes/ Kirkpatrick

If I were you, I would almost certainly anticipate that the Patriots would/will take a developmental QB, and perhaps even a "unexpected surprise" high pick. They only have two valid ones, on the roster, and is one of the vacant positions in which to add depth.

And most importantly...

36.5" vertical

That kind of explosive power is rare. He tied for 5th at the combine among all other DL and LB prospects and had a solid 40 pounds on the other participants. I think he's got the perfect mold for that "Elephant" position and he has earned his way into my mock draft.

Well. . . . Sebastian Vollmer: 36.5" vertical :D

But your point is taken.

Indeed. Here's one from last year:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-long-awaited-u-h-horizontal-value-board.html

Hope I can do one this year, but due to work/travel I'm so far behind on scouting right now.
I was actually thinking about you and your previous boards when I originally posted this. They've always been very much appreciated but I think we can all certainly understand if you don't find the time to do one this year; I can't imagine how much time must go into putting those boards together.

I was actually thinking about you and your previous boards when I originally posted this. They've always been very much appreciated but I think we can all certainly understand if you don't find the time to do one this year; I can't imagine how much time must go into putting those boards together.

DryHeat - Hope you do have the time to put together your Horizontal Board. I may also attempt to put together a Horizontal Board base on which round I expect the players to be selected. This would be only players I believe are "Patriots" players.

I would not have had Aaron Hernandez on my board because of the failed drug test issue. Then again, he was too good a value at that point not to take him.

CT Huskies - nice board ... well put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots