PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Mock Draft Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I could mention guys I think will be available I would but since we aren't supposed to talk about "Fight Club" you may want to edit your post above.

Last edited:
Ingram for the Bucs. Why? Blount just put up 1k yards right and your'e drafting Ingram as a 3rd down back? Say huh. A 1st round pick on a 3rd down back doesn't make sense unless he is Reggie Bush and even then the value is questionable if he is used as such.

He just said that Ingram would be a better 3rd down option than Blount not just as a 3rd down back. Blount only carried the ball 20+ times in 3 games last year with about 8-10 carries a game went to Cadillac Williams (437yds) who is a FA. I could see Blount carry the load with his 245lbs getting most of the yards and Ingram getting about 10-12 touches a game rushing/receiving. This would not be a new formula for the Bucs since the had Mike Alstott and either Michael Pittman/Warrick Dunn in the same backfield and were successful.

Last edited:
I was debating between Akeem and another edge rusher rated about the same. But Ayers would seem the better fit of the 2. Production is certainly not lacking.

I'm off to work. It looks like my Eagles are picking 7th today. I just don't have it in me to line up that many picks at this hour to pass off to a commish... I'll be back @ 4:00 PM to make my pick.

ps
I'm not getting married in june, but I have a Birthday. Can I still play?

ok see you at 4 birthday boy ;)

A lot of people will say the Colts need to go OL but they have never drafted an OL prospect in the 1st round in the Peyton Manning era. Mostly RB, WR, CB or LB when they had picks.

WR will be a huge need next year as Wayne, Garcon and Gonzalez (Probably cut because of $1.1M salary in 2011 and he's a bust) are all UFA's in 2012. Collie is one hit away from forced retirement.

Several people question Torrey Smith's small hands but Collie only had 9 inch hands and he's done well catching the ball from Peyton. They also need a KR because the job was given to Dominic Rhodes at the end of last year.

Last edited:
A lot of people will say the Colts need to go OL but they have never drafted an OL prospect in the 1st round in the Peyton Manning era. Mostly RB, WR, CB or LB when they had picks.

WR will be a huge need next year as Wayne, Garcon and Gonzalez (Probably cut because of $1.1M salary in 2011 and he's a bust) are all UFA's in 2012. Collie is one hit away from forced retirement.

Good luck to Payton throwing to those receivers from his backside. A top flight LT would have been the best pick here as Ugoh has been a total failure. But a lot of people fall in love with wide receivers even when they don't offer the best value so you're probably not alone in your feeling that a skill player would fit the Colts best at that pick.

The reason Reggie Wayne had a career year in number of targets and receptions is because Peyton didn't have anyone else to throw the ball to for most of the year.

Garcon - missed 3 games due to injury really didn't start contributing until week 6.
Collie - missed 8 games total over three stretches because of multiple concussions.
Gonzalez - only played in 2 games and had a total of 5 catched in 2010.
D. Clark - put on IR from week 8 onward.

When all Peyton has to throw to is Blair White and Jacob Tamme because Wayne is double teamed he's going to get sacked and pressured more because the guys he has to work with aren't used to playing at his speed so those few extra moments are what killed him.

Most of the O-Line for the Colts through the years have been late round guys and UDFA's. I'm not saying it isn't a priority it's just not one in the first round where there really aren't and sure fire LT's to draft after Castonzo IMO.

I'm not a huge Colts fan but since I am representing them I have put several days into researching what the current roster looks like this year and the next, which guys have rising salaries so may need to be cut or replaced and what their drafting tendencies are for the last 10 years under Polian. Needs generally don't play a lot into their strategy because they are usually picking at the bottom of round 1. They generally go for a playmaker or BPA. We'll see how things play out.

Last edited:
Aldon Smith is just too raw to risk such a high pick on. Unfortunately, he may not contribute until 2-3 years down the road. Also considering that Watt, Jordan, and now Heyward are all off the board, Irish has to sweat it out and hope that the last good DE doesn't get scooped before 28 or he will be really screwed as far as getting a quality defensive end. Who can they now 'get' in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that are anywhere near to contributing if the DE who shall not be named is also taken before then?

Ingram for the Bucs. Why? Blount just put up 1k yards right and you're drafting Ingram as a 3rd down back? Say huh. A 1st round pick on a 3rd down back doesn't make sense unless he is Reggie Bush and even then the value is questionable if he is used as such.

#28 is going to be an interesting pick for the Pats. I could easily see 3 quality OLB prospects and others available there or at #33. DE? Let's hope but I won't hold my breath. Depending on how the board falls, Irish might be forced to take a WR. o_O

You're understanding me wrong, I didn't pick Ingram just to be a third down back. Blount only had 5 receptions all last year. Ingram is a guy that can catch out of the backfield. He'll add another dimension to their offense. What happens if Blount goes down? Ingram is a guy that can do everything, they'd form a two headed beast. Two backs are better than one. Miami was running all over people in 2008 when they had Ronnie and Ricky going full steam.

Sure you can pick up a RB in the later rounds that can catch, but I have a hard time passing up a Heisman trophy winner at 20 that is capable of doing everything you can ask from a back.

Last edited:
The recent picks have been good, Aldon Smith may take some time to develop but could become one hell of a player.

I'm sorry but I disagree with the Colts and the Buccanneers picks. LeGarrette is going to be a great main back in this league and I don't see drafting a tandem back in the first round. If receiving was an issue Demarco Murray would have been perfect in round 2.

The Colts need line help, simple as that.

This pick was agony. Most of who I wanted to decide between at 17 were off the board. It came down to 3 players and I took the player who honestly I felt was the worst "value" at 17 but at the end of the day (say like Mayock) I felt we needed to address the pass rush and Smith fits a huge need, now I just hope he is up to task as a conversion to OLB.

The Chargers are on the clock.

Let the pelting with sharpened rocks and Beiber cd's begin!
Since I strongly disagree with your pick ... I'll spare you the rotten vegetables since this is a sure indication NE won't go anywhere hear this kid! :rocker:

Close one, you had me worried there for a moment!

Re: 2011 Mock Draft Game Player Selections!

Im the GM for Chicago and picking 2morrow at 6pm. Ill be out of town till 2mrw evening but should be home 6 to 7ish and ill get the pick in as soon as I get home.

I'm here to make the pick. Just give me 5 minutes to grab a Rolling Rock and make sure I didn't miss anything for my Iggles...

I have concerns over Solder because he dropped 12lbs in the two weeks from the Combine to his Pro Day (319 to 307) so he can't keep the weight on. He's probably going to slide a bit.

I have concerns over Solder because he dropped 12lbs in the two weeks from the Combine to his Pro Day (319 to 307) so he can't keep the weight on. He's probably going to slide a bit.

Solder's a solid pick for the Eagles. Vick was getting pummled towards the end of the season and it was starting to slow him down.
Well if Solder slides downfar enough he could be a Patriot. They never went for the mammoth 330 lb OT types anyways.
They prefer the agile athletic guys who can slide and mirror against the top passrushers and then get out to the 2nd level when run blocking.

Last edited:
nice pick Dufflebagz. I was pretty shocked when I came home and saw who was available. 5 definite top 20 Picks were there. Finally, based on need I was down to 3. I picked Solder over Gabe Carimi, but I couldn't tell you if there was a right, or wrong choice between them. I liked the edge of athleticism that Solder had as a former TE (ask Box, I am a sucker for TE's turned tackles * cough* Joe Staley* cough). Plenty of talent still available...

Last edited:
mogamedogz has one hour to make their selection and then it will be up for grabs by anyone w/o a pick between 27-32

I freely admit that I'm a homer... but I couldn't let Pouncey drop any further.

Both of Atlanta's starting guards could be free agents.

From a value perspective I would flip flop my 17 and 28, but I knew I could not get both if I did that. Thank Kunis Wilkerson fell to us here I was nervous as all hell, but now I feel much better.

yeah, you are really lucky wilkerson didn't get scooped before 28. this helps your overall draft outlook a lot. wilkerson seems like he could be a solid run stopper at de. we definitely needed an upgrade over g. warren. and stroud is going to be a short term answer while wilkerson understudies.

Don't be surprised when there is not a DE selected with the Pats first 3 picks. They have too many guys wiith only 1-2 years under their belts (Brace, Deaderick, Richard, Weston)to give up on them. They will probably sign G. Warren in addition to Stroud for veteran prescence. This year is the year to upgrade the OL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye